Are the Quincy from Bleach Sinful?

The real heart of CAA; discuss specific series, issues, and things related to anime here.

Are the Quincy from Bleach Sinful?

Postby TheDragonSlayer » Tue Oct 06, 2015 6:26 pm

So, I have recently started watching Bleach and I have loved it so far. I have almost finished season one, but I stopped watching before I finished the 20th episode for one reason. The only Quincy that I know of (he calls himself the last Quincy but there are probably more later in the series) uses a cross on his bracelet to materialize a bow made of energy which he then uses to kill Hollows. Is this a misuse of the cross? If so, does that make it sinful to watch the show? I really would like to continue watching the show, but I just cannot do it with these questions in my mind. I would like to hear what some of you think about the issue. Also please explain why you chose the answer you did.
Thanks for responding and God bless you! :)
TheDragonSlayer

Re: Are the Quincy from Bleach Sinful?

Postby Kraavdran » Sat Oct 24, 2015 8:10 pm

Hey, DragonSlayer!

Ah bleach. That was actually one of the first anime that I watched. It really got me into anime... many fond memories. So, of course, I will have my biases about it. And, to be honest, I am personally ok with religious-esque things being thrown into anime (consider anime with Greek mythology thrown in). As long as it is not directly attacking God. As such, let me describe to you why I think that Bleach is ok.

Let's see... where to begin. I guess that we can start with the Quincy's power. To be honest, this is the first time that I have considered that Ishida's weapon could be considered a cross. Thinking back, I guess that it does have a cross-like look (although, to be fair, so does a typical sword). But I don't think that it has much connection to Christianity.

And, perhaps, it is a "western religious icon" thrown into the anime to make it more interesting. Like a cross repelling vampires. Anime throws in different religious/mythological things (it is easier to note the greek mythological influences in some anime). So, even if that is the case, I would not consider that to be a "misuse of the cross." Granted, my religious background puts less emphasis on the cross itself compared to the qualities of God. In that way, using Christianese symbols in anime does not cross with my beliefs. I understand that this could be different, depending on which Christian tradition you are from.

That being said, I also think that it is not wise to do something because someone thinks that it is ok. Especially if you feel convicted towards the contrary. If you feel that it is a blasphemy against God and can see no way round that fact, then I would encourage you to listen to that conviction. The last thing that I want to do is to encourage you to do something that you feel is wrong.

I hope that helps and I hope that I didn't get too theological.
"Fiat justitia ruat caelum et pereat mundus"
http://myanimelist.net/animelist/Kraavdran
Kraavdran

Postby Rusty Claymore » Sun Oct 25, 2015 11:33 pm

I think the presence of Christian imagery in anime is a great way to start a conversation with someone (especially Japanese) about Christian things. So I don't believe it makes the act of watching sinful to have Christianity represented (or mis-represented) in a show.
The sin happens where my heart is anyways. Did I watch that episode because Bleach is a "good" piece of culture, has an interesting story line, and has intriguing character designs? Or did I watch it because I wanted a better look at Inoue?

...that is my take on it, at least.
Rusty Claymore

Postby Nate » Fri Oct 30, 2015 5:48 pm

Rusty Claymore wrote:Did I watch that episode because Bleach. . . has an interesting story line

Well see anyone who answers yes to this is pretty clearly lying.

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby Rusty Claymore » Mon Nov 09, 2015 10:41 am

Nate wrote:
Rusty Claymore wrote:Did I watch that episode because Bleach. . . has an interesting story line

Well see anyone who answers yes to this is pretty clearly lying.

Lesser of two evils, man. >_<
Rusty Claymore

Postby skreyola » Mon Nov 09, 2015 7:32 pm

Personally, I don't think watching any show becomes sinful simply because the characters in that show do not accurately depict Christianity. If you recognize any inaccuracies and reject their validity as factual representations, then there's no problem, on that score. The presence of other content may make it sinful for you, but simply watching something that doesn't accurately portray Christianity or faith-based culture in general does not seem to me to be something you need to worry about, as long as you recognize the difference, and it isn't a portrayal that's going to get between you and God.
That's my $0.02.
"Click click click. Still defective."
MAL: Manga List
Anime List
skreyola

Return to Anime and Anime Reviews