What anime are you watching?

The real heart of CAA; discuss specific series, issues, and things related to anime here.

Re: What anime are you watching?

Postby dragonzatch » Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:03 am

I looked at some Amazon reviews from City Hunter and they all said it was clean, no bad language or sex scenes, just action sequences and fluffy romance.
Don't you think that it's boring how people talk?

http://myanimelist.net/animelist/dragonzatch
dragonzatch

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Thu Jul 02, 2015 3:02 pm

I finally got around to starting the Silver Spoon anime. This is the first time I've followed a story all the way from the beginning of its manga publication through to its anime form, so it's really interesting to kind of get the full picture for once. I definitely like the manga better - other than simply imagining Hachiken's voice to sound different, I think Silver Spoon suffers from something I've noticed in a lot of anime: The timing of the humor doesn't feel right. Maybe it's a cultural thing, or maybe it's just the way I read manga, but often the reaction times in this anime feel rather slow. Still an enjoyable watch, and I'm looking forward to the rest.

I also watched the short OVA called Pale Cocoon. It was...hmm...very Japanese, if you know what I mean. Very hard to grasp, but beautiful and mesmerizing to watch. I think I kind of got it by the end, but most of it lost me completely.
You can find out things about the past that you never knew. And from what you've learned, you may see some things differently in the present. You're the one that changes. Not the past.
- Ellone, Final Fantasy VIII

"There's a difference between maliciously offending somebody - on purpose - and somebody being offended by...truth. If you're offended by the truth, that's your problem. I have no obligation to not offend you if I'm speaking the truth. The truth is supposed to offend you; that's how you know you don't got it."
- Brad Stine
the_wolfs_howl

Postby Thunderscream872 » Thu Jul 02, 2015 3:48 pm

Finished Beyond the Boundary - Good show overall. I'm not really sure how I feel about the ending, though. SPOILER: Highlight text to read: At first, when it looked like Mirai died, it was pretty depressing, but it actually started to feel like a suitable ending; and then we find out that she's still alive, which is great and all, but it kinda took away from the mood, and left me feeling a little confused. I'm glad she didn't die, but I just feel like it could've been handled better.

Favorite Character(s): Mirai Kuriyama

Art/Visuals: 8.5/10
Story: 7/10
Characters: 6.5/10 (Mirai and Akihito were great, but allot of the other characters were underdeveloped and kind of annoying)
Enjoyment: 8/10
Overall: 7.5/10

Full Metal Panic episode 21 (I think that's where I left off) - its still pretty awesome.

Date A Live episode 4 - After watching the first episode, I thought I was gonna hate it, but at this point, its actually pretty good.

Bleach - I think I left off on episode 48.

Strike the Blood middle of episode 2 - seems promising so far :)

ClaecElric4God wrote:It has its funny moments, but it's one of those "let's cram all the good stuff into the first episode to drag everyone in" anime, and the rest doesn't really match up. Imo, it's not worth the spiraling, mediocre and all-around unremarkable plot. What ended up turning me off was A. The copious amounts of fanservice, and B. The incredibly unsatisfying ending.

lol, unfortunately unremarkable endings are kind of the default for anime as a whole, even allot good ones have somewhat disappointing endings.
"NO BLOOD! NO BONE! NO ASH!"

“I don’t take orders from anybody. If there’s something I wanna do, I do it. If there’s something I don’t wanna do, I don’t do it. That’s the dandy way to live, and I’m Dandy. Do you get it?” - Space Dandy

MyAnimeList - Anime-Planet - A room with a moose
Thunderscream872

Postby artisticDreamer » Thu Jul 02, 2015 5:28 pm

Finished Kuroshitsuji II- SPOILER: Highlight text to read: I know a lot of people who like Claude, but I ended up hating him for trying to take Ciel's soul. For some reason, I didn't hate Alois for RUINING EVERYTHINGGG.
Death Note ep. 27- 33 SPOILER: Highlight text to read: I almost don't want to watch the last few episodes, because I don't want to see Near and Mello die, but I shall endure xP
artisticDreamer

Postby Mouse2010 » Sat Jul 04, 2015 9:31 am

We put all of our other anime viewing on hold for a week while we barreled through Attack on Titan. Great series, but boy did the end leave us wanting more. So many unanswered questions! I guess we're lucky that a second season is coming out soon, huh?

My one thought about the series: I don't know about the manga, but the anime is a lot like a zombie film, except that the zombies are several meters tall. If you think about the way the Titans move and behave, they are very similar to zombies, with the same overriding desire to consume. The series also raises similar "where did they come from?" questions about the Titan's origins. What makes the difference is that in the standard Zombie film, there are no safe zones. The whole "walled off settlement" setting of Attack on Titan gives the series a slightly different vibe.
Mouse2010

Postby Cat96 » Mon Jul 06, 2015 2:08 pm

Finished Plastic Memories

SPOILER: Highlight text to read: Man did the tears flow or what? I've become such a softie these days. The fact that Tsukasa told Isla before she "died" the same thing she told Gifitas was so touching.
"While I live, I want to shine" -Grovyle (Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Sky)
Cat96

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Fri Jul 10, 2015 3:23 pm

Mushi-shi episode 2

I liked this one a bit more than the first, though mostly for the creep factor :P My computer was making the video run all choppy for some reason, so that took away some of the enjoyment :/
You can find out things about the past that you never knew. And from what you've learned, you may see some things differently in the present. You're the one that changes. Not the past.

"There's a difference between maliciously offending somebody - on purpose - and somebody being offended by...truth. If you're offended by the truth, that's your problem. I have no obligation to not offend you if I'm speaking the truth. The truth is supposed to offend you; that's how you know you don't got it."
- Brad Stine
the_wolfs_howl

Postby artisticDreamer » Sat Jul 11, 2015 2:26 pm

Ao no Exorcist episodes 9-22 SPOILER: Highlight text to read: That awkward moment when your favorite character becomes a hamster.
artisticDreamer

Postby Thunderscream872 » Sat Jul 11, 2015 2:45 pm

Finished season 1 of Full Metal Panic. This show started off really strong, but as the show went one, I feel like allot of what made it really enjoyable and fun earlier kinda died out by the time the last episode rolled around. I just wasn't really feeling the last couple episodes. They felt a little anti-climatic. I'll give my overall thoughts on this one once I finish the second season.

Episode 5 of Date A Live.

Episode 50 of Bleach.

Episode 4 of Strike the Blood.

I also started watching Seraph of the End. The first episode was pretty awesome, intense, and engaging; however, about half way into episode 2 I'm noticing allot of the typical anime tropes starting to show up. I still have hopes that it will be a good series, but it is kinda disappointed to see that it's probably not gonna strive to be much difference from its peers.

“I don’t take orders from anybody. If there’s something I wanna do, I do it. If there’s something I don’t wanna do, I don’t do it. That’s the dandy way to live, and I’m Dandy. Do you get it?” - Space Dandy

Thunderscream872

Postby Cat96 » Sat Jul 11, 2015 7:14 pm

Episode 1 of Aoharu x Machinegun

I hope I'm not the only one who compares it to OHSHC. Seriously, anyone else get that vibe from it?
"While I live, I want to shine" -Grovyle (Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Sky)
Cat96

Postby NekoNinja16 » Sat Jul 11, 2015 8:55 pm

Cat96 wrote:Episode 1 of Aoharu x Machinegun

I hope I'm not the only one who compares it to OHSHC. Seriously, anyone else get that vibe from it?

YES. XD

Just watched it, I really liked it. It felt just like Ouran, which happens to be one of (if not #1) my fav anime. Hotaru's more aggressive than Haruhi, and Masamune's not as adorably idiotic as Tamaki, but it felt like seeing them again kind of. ;w; I hope it stays clean enough for me to keep watching, if so, I think I'll really enjoy it...
Just gonna stick a couple favorite quotes here.

"You can die at anytime. But living takes true courage. I'm living too, that I am. To repent for all the lives I took." -Kenshin Himura

"I would rather die as Blues than live forever as someone else." -Proto Man

Weird, they seem to be about dying. XD
NekoNinja16

Postby NekoNinja16 » Tue Jul 14, 2015 12:10 pm

Still rewatching Rockman.EXE, since I finished the dub a bit ago, and don't want to miss anything in the subs. .3. I'm almost at episode 20 now. But I'll also need to get through Axess before I can finally get to Stream... XD

Aside from that however, I finally got to watch the first episode of Akagami no Shirayukihime(or Snow White with the red hair) last night. Not at all a disappointment, I loved it. The animation and art was beautiful and fluid, and matches the manga pretty well. The voices are great too, I was afraid Shirayuki would be squeaky, haha. Looking forward to watching more, but I have to wait until Hulu lets commoners watch it, so a week after the episode actually comes out I guess. -w-" Also still planning to watch Aoharu X Machinegun, as long as it doesn't turn pervy. Really hope it doesn't.

And I just watched the first two episodes of an airing series that caught my eye, Ultimate Otaku Teacher (Denpa Kyoushi?). First episode was fine by me, amusing enough (though I'm aware that the manga readers are way less than happy with the show). Second episode though, I didn't like when he grabbed his sister, cuz it seemed kind of odd...(and inappropriate) Does anyone know if the later episodes have anything really pervy or inappropriate? Cuz if so I'll probably just drop it. It's be a shame tho, Kagami is really funny lol.

"You can die at anytime. But living takes true courage. I'm living too, that I am. To repent for all the lives I took." -Kenshin Himura

NekoNinja16

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Sat Jul 18, 2015 8:38 am

I started watching Moribito: Guardian of the Spirit. I really like the animation, and it looks like it'll be an interesting setup. I'm definitely intrigued by the characters they've introduced so far and want to find out more about them.

- Brad Stine
the_wolfs_howl

Postby NekoNinja16 » Sat Jul 18, 2015 11:51 am

Episode 2 of Aoharu x Machinegun. I really hope they stop with perv-references, I like the characters(well, kind of excluding the glasses guy cuz of his job) and would like to keep watching it... it really does have a bit of that Ouran feel, though obviously different in many ways. For one thing, that whole 'debt' thing feels familiar. XD

RockMan.EXE 26-27. Like I said before, I'm rewatching RockMan in subs for the first time, I watched it before as MegaMan NT Warrior in the dub. These two episode are the first ones I've seen that were cut out of the dub, so first time seeing them. .3. Liked em both, was LOLing so hard on 26, Dekao's faces were HILARIOUS, and RockMan being scared was beyond cute. (since he's so adorable already) X3 Episode 27 was bother amusing, scarring, and annoying. I HATE Aki-chan, she was annoying in the dub too. I don't get how they think she's so cute or pretty, but maybe that's cuz her graphics are HORRIBLE. Would have been easier to take if she was just drawn like the rest IMO. SPOILER: Highlight text to read: Though I did enjoy seeing Netto and Tohru (who actually pulled it off) in Aki's outfit. XD NOT DEKAO tho. XDD )that would be the scarring part of the episode...)

NekoNinja16

Postby Cat96 » Sat Jul 18, 2015 9:57 pm

Hunter x Hunter 2011 season 3 episode 10. I'm watching this on Netflix, so I don't have the specific number. Either way, I'm really liking this show.

I also begun to show this to my ten year old nephew, who's now a brony, sweettooth, and anime fan all thanks to my bad influence. I don't think this show will scare him, given the types of video games he plays. He's on episode 5 or 6.

He's also interested in Natsume's Book of Friends because I showed him a funny Nyanko-sensei video on youtube. I'm currently a little over halfway through season 3 of that show.
Cat96

Postby Thunderscream872 » Tue Jul 21, 2015 8:21 am

Up to episode 4 of the second season of Full Metal Panic.

Episode 6 of Strike the Blood.

Episode 7 of Date A Live.

Thunderscream872

Postby artisticDreamer » Tue Jul 21, 2015 6:27 pm

Finished Ao no Exorcist
artisticDreamer

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Thu Jul 23, 2015 5:10 pm

I've decided to drop Mushi-shi. I was just...bored the whole way through the few episodes I watched, and decided I'm probably not the right audience and should spend my time elsewhere.

I watched Silver Spoon episode 3 - hilarious as ever, and Hachiken's voice still weirds me out every time I hear it =_=

- Brad Stine
the_wolfs_howl

Postby Cat96 » Thu Jul 23, 2015 10:45 pm

Finished season 3 of Natsume's Book of Friends.
Cat96

Postby NekoNinja16 » Fri Jul 24, 2015 10:15 pm

Still rewatching RockMan. But does anyone know if Show By Rock! has fanservice or pervy stuff? I'm considering watching it (even though it's musical-ness goes against MANY things I like) since it has a large number of VAs I'm familiar with. And the different animal-types look cute.

NekoNinja16

Postby Mave » Fri Jul 24, 2015 10:44 pm

artisticDreamer wrote:Finished Ao no Exorcist

How is this series in anime format? I follow the ongoing manga so I was wondering how's the anime version.

I'm rewatching random episodes of Ghost in the Shell (The Laughing Man)...just because I love this series to bits and it's cool.
Mave

Postby Cat96 » Fri Jul 24, 2015 11:33 pm

I also just finished season 2 of Kamisama Kiss. I still like this show. While I wish the monkey(?) wore pants in his human-like form, the show is still pretty clean. SPOILER: Highlight text to read: If Nanami's feelings for Tomoe weren't so obvious, I'd call this show a reverse harem. There's not that many female characters. Also is it just me, or does everyone have similar head designs? Like how the guys have a similar head/face design, as well as the children and female characters. It's honestly a bit creepy.

Also, is it weird that Hisoka (Hunter x Hunter 2011) reminds me of Misuki?
Cat96

Postby artisticDreamer » Sat Jul 25, 2015 8:56 am

Mave wrote:

How is this series in anime format? I follow the ongoing manga so I was wondering how's the anime version.

I'm not sure how it compares to the manga, as I haven't read that yet. I know that it does diverge from the story by around volume 4 of the manga. I, personally, really liked the anime, but that's just my measly opinion. *coughyoushouldwatchitcough*
artisticDreamer

Postby Cat96 » Sun Jul 26, 2015 11:34 pm

Finished Inari Konkon

SPOILER: Highlight text to read: Wait a sec, if Inari could see Uka (the scene where Uka thanks her for saving the fox) before she got a part of her divine power, why can't she see her now? Doesn't make much sense. Meh. It was cute and worth the watch, but not DVD worthy for me.
Cat96

Postby Mave » Mon Jul 27, 2015 8:29 am

artisticDreamer wrote:
Mave wrote:

I'm not sure how it compares to the manga, as I haven't read that yet. I know that it does diverge from the story by around volume 4 of the manga. I, personally, really liked the anime, but that's just my measly opinion. *coughyoushouldwatchitcough*

Ahh thanks! I see that it has fallen a little victim to the whole have-to-diverge-from-manga syndrome but alrighty, I'll give it a shot.
Mave

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Thu Jul 30, 2015 5:28 pm

Moribito: Guardian of the Spirit episode 2

This is shaping up very promisingly! I think this is going to be a fun ride ^_^

- Brad Stine
the_wolfs_howl

Postby Cat96 » Sat Aug 01, 2015 4:51 pm

Finished True Tears. It was a good show. Noe is absolutely adorable! SPOILER: Highlight text to read: Despite how much I liked Noe, I was alright with the ending where Shinichirou ended up with Hiromi. I hope she finds someone great one day.

Durarara episode 11 SPOILER: Highlight text to read: Okay. I did NOT expect for Midako to be the leader/founder of the Dollars. Seriously, did I miss some major hints or something or am I just oblivious? That was a fun reveal though. I seriously did not expect that.
Cat96

Postby Thunderscream872 » Sun Aug 02, 2015 7:52 am

Finished season 1 of Date A Live - Overall it was pretty enjoyable, not really the type of anime I go looking for, but it was cool. I haven't decided if I'm gonna watch season 2 yet, simply cause there are other shows I wanna check out that look allot more interesting. I'll give my overall ratings for season 1, and then update them if I decide to watch season 2.

Favorite Character(s): Tooka Yatogami (Origami was my favorite very early on, but I quickly started to dislike her, and by the end I pretty much hated her)

Art/Visuals: 7.5/10
Story: 7/10
Characters: 7/10
Enjoyment: 8/10
Overall: 7/10

If anyone has watched the second season feels that really significant stuff happens in it, or there is major development for certain characters, feel free to let me know, without any major spoilers of course.

I'm also up to episode 10 of Strike the Blood.

Thunderscream872

Postby Cat96 » Sun Aug 02, 2015 9:57 pm

finished season 1 of Durarara!! and part 1 of season 2 of the same show. I was surprised at how much I liked this show. The story was very interesting. There were a lot of twists and turns that I really didn't expect. Also, the dub is amazing.

Also a comment on one of the later episodes of part 1 of season 2 SPOILER: Highlight text to read: Was I the only one surprised at how nice Shizou was to the little girl? Specifically around/after the scene where she and the Russians were in the van.
Cat96

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Fri Aug 07, 2015 7:19 pm

I started watching Jyu-Oh-Sei, which caught my eye because it's animated by my favorite studio, Bones. It's still a bit early to be forming opinions, but I'm intrigued enough to keep watching after the first episode. Sort of reminds me of a weird cross between Trigun and Wolf's Rain so far o.0 Rai is kind of annoying and whiny, but I'm having a lot of fun listening to his voice, which I recognize from FMA: Brotherhood and Vision of Escaflowne :cool:

Also watched episode 4 of Silver Spoon.

- Brad Stine
the_wolfs_howl

Previous Next

Return to Anime and Anime Reviews