Halfswording

Talk about anything in here.

Halfswording

Postby Vio13 » Wed Mar 04, 2015 11:36 pm

(Oh gosh how does one make a new thread?)
Recently I've been trying to learn what real sword fighting is like for sake of writing and drawing, and while looking into it, I found halfswording. I still don't know much, but the more I see the more I love this style! Still don't know that it'd be used in big battles, but man is it cool for duels.
Does anyone else have some knowledge on this style? Or better yet, a style you like better?
Vio13

Re: Halfswording

Postby WorldsTraveler » Thu Mar 05, 2015 4:52 pm

Oh, this is the first I’ve heard of this! (I research weapons for writing purposes and fun too.) I watched a couple of videos, so these are just my initial thoughts.

That’s a really interesting way to apply a longsword… I can see how it could throw off an opponent too, especially when you move in for the close attacks. Once you’re gripping the sword with both hands, it almost starts to act like using a short rod or bar as a weapon, but with the addition of a double sharp edge. It could be used effectively to either subdue or injure an opponent (in the hands of someone who knew how to wield it well.)

I’ll be keeping this in mind next time I design a swordsman. Personally, I think it’d be fun to have a character wield their longsword in a traditional manner, and switch to halfsword when it suited. Like I said, it could really throw off an opponent mid-battle if they weren’t expecting it. It’s good to change the flow and style of a fight – keeps things interesting!
WorldsTraveler

Postby Wolfsong » Thu Mar 05, 2015 5:42 pm

Oh wow...this is...wow.

I'd never even heard of this! This is amazing!
"Show me thy ways, O Lord; teach me thy paths. Lead me in thy truth, and teach me: for thou art the God of my salvation; on thee do I wait all the day." Psalm 25:4-5

"Turn thee unto me, and have mercy upon me; for I am desolate and afflicted.
The troubles of my heart are enlarged: O bring thou me out of my distresses.
Look upon mine affliction and my pain; and forgive all my sins.
Consider mine enemies; for they are many; and they hate me with cruel hatred.
O keep my soul, and deliver me: let me not be ashamed; for I put my trust in thee.
Let integrity and uprightness preserve me; for I wait on thee.
Redeem Israel, O God, out of all his troubles." Psalm 25: 16-22

Thank you. Have a good day.
Wolfsong

Postby Vio13 » Sat Mar 07, 2015 10:43 pm

Worldstraveler, from my understanding its specifically designed to counter plate armor by slipping in where the plates don't cover, since a sword of course can't cut through plate. Gives much better precision and all that, and an improv war hammer is also a plus! But what is the traditional way of handling a longsword? I've yet to really find a good standard.
And it really is, wolfsong! It isn't my current obsession for nothing :P
Vio13

Postby Kilvakar » Mon Mar 09, 2015 6:43 pm

I've actually looked into this before, being a fan of medieval fighting styles myself. Even as an anime fan, I still prefer European styles over Japanese most of the time.

That said, I don't think half-swording is really a "style" per say, more of a "technique" to use with a longsword to help counteract heavy armor. But definitely very useful :)
Image Image
"Comrade isn't simply a word. Comrades are about heart. It's the unconditional trust in your partners. Please, fell free to lean on me...And I, too, will lean on you as well."---Mavis Vermillion, First Master of Fairy Tail

"There are people in this world who enjoy being alone, but there isn't a single person who can bear solitude."---Makarov Dreyar, Third Master of Fairy Tail
Kilvakar

Postby Vio13 » Mon Mar 09, 2015 11:20 pm

Aha, right you are kilvakar! I misuse words too often, my bad my bad. Outside of halfswording have you found any good styles/techniques that come with a name? I want to look into more to get a better grasp on it. It doesn't have to be just longsword stuff either, I heard about a few other swords that I'd like to look into.
A demonstration with a round shield I saw was also very interesting... So that kind of thing is on the table too... ^^ ;
Yeah, I adore the concept of medieval Europe thanks to all the fantasy stuff I've always enjoyed. Anime has not been enough of an influence to make me forget my initial interests :P (though calligraphy and its role in China and Japan is of minor interest to me? Not much else...)
Vio13

Postby Kilvakar » Wed Mar 11, 2015 6:43 pm

I'm sorry, I didn't mean to sound like I was nit-picking! It's not something to worry about :)

Unfortunately, just from what I've seen, medieval European styles and techniques seem to be named more just on the weapon being used than having a unique name, so most anything you look up will be based on the particular weapon or style of weapon than a style name.

That said, one of my personal favorites is the Scottish broad sword. Take a look at this: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c ... Morges.jpg

The full-coverage "basket" design of the hilt makes it very effective not only as a sword, but allows you to deliver strong punching blows. And as a plus, this sword was usually paired with a round shield, making for a very effective style. Also Scots are awesome! I'm biased, I know, lol!
Image Image
"Comrade isn't simply a word. Comrades are about heart. It's the unconditional trust in your partners. Please, fell free to lean on me...And I, too, will lean on you as well."---Mavis Vermillion, First Master of Fairy Tail

"There are people in this world who enjoy being alone, but there isn't a single person who can bear solitude."---Makarov Dreyar, Third Master of Fairy Tail
Kilvakar

Postby Vio13 » Wed Mar 11, 2015 7:24 pm

Haha, no worries, I understood~
Oh nooo, though there does seem to be a style difference? Names too long to stick in my memory, but I saw an Italian style vs a German style at some point and they were using names for 'em o-o but my knowledge is so limited! I should go look it up again, though.
Hm, that'll keep your hand safe! What sort of draw backs to that sort of design I wonder? Looks like something that'd be nice to have on most swords if there isn't too big of drawbacks : P Ahhh round shields~~~~
I mostly know round shields and bucklers... I know of kite shields... heater shields, but I haven't found any info on their use just yet (except that they might not be useful in general, aha). I haven't dedicated much time towards them, but still
Heh, no worries, I'm pretty biased towards Germans : P 1/3, yeah!
Vio13

Postby Kilvakar » Sat Mar 21, 2015 6:03 pm

Nice. My family is pretty much an equal mix of Scottish/Irish/German. Lots of awesomeness!

As for kite shields and heater shields, those I believe were more designed for mounted combat. Doesn't mean they wouldn't be useful on foot, though, depending on how heavy they were.

On another note, what do you think of this weird weapon: Image
Image Image

Kilvakar

Postby Vio13 » Sun Mar 22, 2015 1:26 pm

I can not see that image ;w;
Yeah, pretty sure om that as well, though I guess heater would be a lot easier... looks lighter anyways.
Vio13

Postby Rolarin » Thu Mar 26, 2015 7:41 am

Wow, halfswording looks awesome!

I've never been into weaponry too much, but I think this looks like a cool technique to learn if you are looking for a past time!

:)
Rolarin

Postby Vio13 » Sat Mar 28, 2015 12:14 am

I'm glad you think so, Rolarin! And yeah, I'm looking to get into it a bit with friends, just for fun. We already liked to 'spar' so learning actual techniques seems interesting~
Vio13

Postby Kilvakar » Mon May 11, 2015 11:42 am

That has always been one of my favorite things to do with my friends. Unfortunately, everyone I know has moved away as we all grew older, so I rarely get to do that sort of thing anymore. One of the misfortunes of growing up, I guess...
Image Image

Kilvakar

Postby Vio13 » Fri May 15, 2015 11:30 pm

I'm fortunate enough right now to be neighbors with someone who's pretty lenient with my shenanigans, and they're young enough that they'll stick around a bit longer, so I might be just lucky enough for now. Still, learning wouldn't be quick enough ^^ ; ah well, amusing enough perhaps
Vio13

Return to General