What Manga are you reading?

Post about anime's sister, manga in here. Manga reviews accepted in here as well.

Re: What Manga are you reading?

Postby CinniScrib » Mon Feb 16, 2015 1:39 am

Nanatsu no Taizai ch 112.5

Bonus prequel chapter! But it's only part 1! DOH.

Magi - Sinbad no Bouken Chapter 51

CinniScrib

Postby mdmrn » Mon Feb 16, 2015 6:15 am

Currently reading: Fullmetal Alchemist (Vol 8); Black Butler (Vol 6); Pandora Hearts (Vol 4); Blue Exorcist (Vol 13, when released in English officially). I've only seen the anime versions of Blue Exorcist. I'm interested in seeing FMA when I'm done. Not so much with Black Butler or Pandora Hearts.
MDMRN
Christian -- Dad -- Husband -- Engineer -- Conservative -- Beard Aficionado -- General Dork
mdmrn

Postby CinniScrib » Mon Feb 16, 2015 3:43 pm

Tate no Yuusha no Nariagari 10.5-13

Akatsuki no Yona 68-70.2

CinniScrib

Postby CinniScrib » Fri Feb 20, 2015 1:23 am

Fairy Tail Zero 7-8

Kuroshitsuji 100-102

Bleach 616
I FREAKING CALLED IT! SPOILER: Highlight text to read: I KNEW he was going to volunteer himself to be the new Soul King, given he's a sickly guy. At least he explains his white hair (while I guess Toshiro's is white because of his ice powers)

CinniScrib

Postby mdmrn » Fri Feb 20, 2015 5:26 am

WorldsTraveler wrote:
artisticDreamer wrote:Just rereading the Legend of Zelda: Four Swords+ manga for the bajllionth time, yo.

This is a regular re-read for me too. It’s so much fun!

In other news, I have finally started reading Pandora Hearts! I like it so far. It’s artistic, whimsical, deep, and cunning. I’m having a blast reading into the foreshadowing and guessing at the upcoming plot twists.

Also, I recently read Olimpos. It was indeed as philosophical and beautiful as everyone says. Now I want to read more of Aki’s work. (After the next 90 chapters of PH. ^_^)

I've been reading Pandora Hearts too. I'm 3 volumes in. I've enjoyed the Alice in Wonderland references, they're interesting so far.
MDMRN
Christian -- Dad -- Husband -- Engineer -- Conservative -- Beard Aficionado -- General Dork
mdmrn

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Fri Feb 20, 2015 12:54 pm

GeneD wrote:Recently finished a re-read of Hoshi no Samidare aka The Lucifer and Biscuit Hammer, which remains amazing. Everyone read this manga. If you've got a Crunchyroll subscription the entire series is up on their site. If you have an anime-only subscription you now also have access to their whole manga catalogue. And if you don't have a Crunchyroll subscription, PM me for a guest pass. XD In case you're worried, despite the title it's got nothing to do with Lucifer/Satan/demons.

You know, your recommendation would be more convincing if you told us what it was about....

Liar Game - chapters 126-132

I apparently took a break from this at the same place it stopped for a hiatus during publication, so I felt like I got to share in a little of that experience :P I'm repeatedly amazed at how ingenious these characters (and thus Kaitani-san) are with their machinations. Yokoya doesn't seem quite so threatening when you see Samue in action! (Or whatever his real name is.) I can feel the story coming to a head, and it's usually safe to assume the main characters are going to win, but I honestly don't see how they're going to manage it. Or who's going to end up on top.
You can find out things about the past that you never knew. And from what you've learned, you may see some things differently in the present. You're the one that changes. Not the past.
- Ellone, Final Fantasy VIII

"There's a difference between maliciously offending somebody - on purpose - and somebody being offended by...truth. If you're offended by the truth, that's your problem. I have no obligation to not offend you if I'm speaking the truth. The truth is supposed to offend you; that's how you know you don't got it."
- Brad Stine
the_wolfs_howl

Postby Nocturnalux » Sat Feb 21, 2015 2:23 pm

I wish Liar Game received more love. It's absolutely riveting and I'd love to see Orihara Izaya going against Akiyama. Seriously, Izaya would give him a run for his money and if there is someone who was born to play Liar Game, it is him.
Nocturnalux

Postby Wolfsong » Sat Feb 21, 2015 6:16 pm

Pandora Hearts, vol. 12 - I am stunned by all the developments going on, and the sudden new one happening now. I am near literally on the edge of my seat.
I also have a new Most-Hated Character XD

Alice in the Country of Hearts - found this on the shelf at my local library and was...amused by its eccentricity. A hilarious take on Alice in Wonderland.
"Show me thy ways, O Lord; teach me thy paths. Lead me in thy truth, and teach me: for thou art the God of my salvation; on thee do I wait all the day." Psalm 25:4-5

"Turn thee unto me, and have mercy upon me; for I am desolate and afflicted.
The troubles of my heart are enlarged: O bring thou me out of my distresses.
Look upon mine affliction and my pain; and forgive all my sins.
Consider mine enemies; for they are many; and they hate me with cruel hatred.
O keep my soul, and deliver me: let me not be ashamed; for I put my trust in thee.
Let integrity and uprightness preserve me; for I wait on thee.
Redeem Israel, O God, out of all his troubles." Psalm 25: 16-22

Thank you. Have a good day.
Wolfsong

Postby Mullet Death » Mon Feb 23, 2015 12:34 pm

Reading Lucifer and the Biscuit Hammer since some people here recommended it. Ludicrously strong heroine, dysfunctional love interest and talking lizard character who's actually the most normal of the three? I'm totally on board with this.

I Am Mullet Death, Undisputed Ruler of the Mole and Crab People! Fear me!
Mullet Death

Postby CinniScrib » Tue Feb 24, 2015 2:10 pm

Akagami no Shirayukihime 61-62

CinniScrib

Postby GeneD » Wed Feb 25, 2015 11:56 am

the_wolfs_howl wrote:
GeneD wrote:Read of Hoshi no Samidare aka The Lucifer and Biscuit Hammer...

You know, your recommendation would be more convincing if you told us what it was about....

Hehe good point, I got lazy and figured it would be the easiest thing about the series to look up. Anyway, here's a synopsis. Amamiya Yuuhi, an anti-social college student, wakes up one day to find a talking lizard in his room, who tells him the earth is in danger and that he has been chosen as a Knight to help save it. Soon Amamiya meets the Princess of the Knights, who is a formidable fighter herself and has a... unique... motivation/reason about why she's involved. Together with the other Beast Knights they have to fight against the wizard Animus and his golems to stop him from destroying the earth with the giant Biscuit Hammer hanging in space (not made from actual biscuits).

A bit about why the manga is so great; the characters are all unique and well rounded, with almost all of them getting a decent amount of development. The plot, and how the characters "interact" with it (if that makes sense), is pretty unconventional and fresh. I don't really want to go into detail because spoilers.

Mullet Death wrote:Reading Lucifer and the Biscuit Hammer since some people here recommended it. Ludicrously strong heroine, dysfunctional love interest and talking lizard character who's actually the most normal of the three? I'm totally on board with this.

XD
I don't know what broke to make you like this, but I must be broken too if I'm standing here praising your destructiveness. -Rock (Black Lagoon)

As I had encountered kindness, I wanted to be kind myself. -Takashi Natsume (Natsume's Book of Friends)

MAL
Twitter
MOES: Promoting sane sigs.
GeneD

Postby NekoNinja16 » Wed Feb 25, 2015 1:51 pm

Love So Life. It's pretty cute so far, and pretty clean. I'm just a bit confused if the two main characters can be together or not since he's older than her. (she's in high school, he's not) One of the genres for this is romance, and there have been hints, but I think it's against the law...
Just gonna stick a couple favorite quotes here.

"You can die at anytime. But living takes true courage. I'm living too, that I am. To repent for all the lives I took." -Kenshin Himura

"I would rather die as Blues than live forever as someone else." -Proto Man

Weird, they seem to be about dying. XD
NekoNinja16

Postby Kaori » Thu Feb 26, 2015 6:54 pm

NekoNinja16 wrote:Love So Life. It's pretty cute so far, and pretty clean. I'm just a bit confused if the two main characters can be together or not since he's older than her. (she's in high school, he's not) One of the genres for this is romance, and there have been hints, but I think it's against the law...

Your question is answered in ch. 88. Without spoilers, the story continues to be totally above board and nothing inappropriate happens between the characters; the fact that the female lead is currently underage does not necessarily mean that the male lead is going to date her while she is underage. Specifically, with spoilers, SPOILER: Highlight text to read: the male lead says that he wants to date her but wants to wait ten years until she is his age and has more life experience before they date. I don't know if they will actually wait ten years or not; that is a long time and Shiharu would be an adult capable of making her own decisions long before that.

Now let's see, what have I read since last posting that's worth mentioning?

Yume no Moribito ch. 1: MangaRocks!, you would probably like this. Only one chapter out so far, but it's a fantasy romance (fantasy in the sense of Japanese-style spirits and spiritual powers and things) that has a very nice, sweet first chapter with a mysterious tone.

Joou no Hana (ch. 7-8a are out, but I don't have much to say about them. Seitetsu had been telling his backstory, and that's now complete.

Planetes ch. 1-2 (hard sci fi slice-of-life about space trash collectors): This is really good and I'm not sure why I haven't read more of it yet. It just kind of got shunted to the side.
Let others believe in the God who brings men to trial and judges them. I shall cling to the God who resurrects the dead.
-St. Nikolai Velimirovich

MAL
Kaori

Postby CinniScrib » Thu Feb 26, 2015 7:50 pm

Bleach 617
EVERYTHING IS INTENSE. SPOILER: Highlight text to read: Poor Ukitake!! MEANWHILE WE HAVE THAT POO AIZEN! Great, what's he going to do!? What do they need him for? HOW DID HE GET LOOSE BESIDES BEING A GOD-MODDER!?

Magi - Labyrinth of Magic 252-156

Ao no Exorcist 64
SPOILER: Highlight text to read: UUUGH DIE ALREADY! The best part was his wig flying off HA! BUT SHIMA!? He's a double agent!? This is great but terrible all at once!

CinniScrib

Postby NekoNinja16 » Fri Feb 27, 2015 6:54 am

@Kaori: Oh, okay, thanks! ^^

"You can die at anytime. But living takes true courage. I'm living too, that I am. To repent for all the lives I took." -Kenshin Himura

NekoNinja16

Postby nillapoet » Fri Feb 27, 2015 7:56 am

A few chapters into the Tartaros arc of Fairy Tail.
nillapoet

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Fri Feb 27, 2015 5:06 pm

Nocturnalux wrote:I wish Liar Game received more love. It's absolutely riveting and I'd love to see Orihara Izaya going against Akiyama. Seriously, Izaya would give him a run for his money and if there is someone who was born to play Liar Game, it is him.

Oooooooooooh. What I'd really like to see would be a three-way battle between Akiyama, Izaya, and L from Death Note. I honestly don't know who would win! SOMEONE PLEASE MAKE THIS CROSSOVER ._.

Also, Lucifer and the Biscuit Hammer is now on my to-read list :D
You can find out things about the past that you never knew. And from what you've learned, you may see some things differently in the present. You're the one that changes. Not the past.

"There's a difference between maliciously offending somebody - on purpose - and somebody being offended by...truth. If you're offended by the truth, that's your problem. I have no obligation to not offend you if I'm speaking the truth. The truth is supposed to offend you; that's how you know you don't got it."
- Brad Stine
the_wolfs_howl

Postby MangaRocks! » Fri Feb 27, 2015 10:51 pm

Kaori wrote:Yume no Moribito ch. 1: MangaRocks!, you would probably like this. Only one chapter out so far, but it's a fantasy romance (fantasy in the sense of Japanese-style spirits and spiritual powers and things) that has a very nice, sweet first chapter with a mysterious tone.

^ Thanks, Kaori! I've really enjoyed every recommendation of yours so far, so I'll definitely check that one out, too! :)

Akagami no Shirayuki-hime chapters 61-62: Aw, the little interactions between Shirayuki and Ryuu were so sweet. <3 :) And the bit where Obi was so observant that he helped them to SPOILER: Highlight text to read: figure out what had been going wrong with the mixing of the medicine was neat, too. :thumb: Also, it was nice to see Shirayuki vocalize her resolve to be recognized by Izana, even if it means going to another castle (and being {mostly} apart from Zen for an even longer period of time), as that is what must happen for her to accomplish her goals (and eventually be with Zen for good) on the path she chose. :thumb:

The Heroic Legend Of Arslan chapter 20: LOL, poor Arslan was definitely *not* expecting that, er, proposal... :grin:

Taiyou no Ie chapter 50 (main end, though there are still a few side chapters still to go yet :) ): Agh, so good! :hug: Hina's SPOILER: Highlight text to read: homecoming was great, and the whole bit where Hiro was trying to hint to Mao that he wants SPOILER: Highlight text to read: to marry her someday :jump: , which at first she genuinely didn't get but then apparently did (hence the blushing and tearing up <3 ) yet still kept on saying that she didn't just to get him to finally say it outright <3 <3 SPOILER: Highlight text to read: (a proposal that she then immediately accepted, of course!)... <3 :jump: :hug: This was a great (main) ending for this series, IMO, and the additional few side-story chapters will just be some nice, sweet frosting on the top of it. <3

Pandora Hearts chapter 102: My feels...! SPOILER: Highlight text to read: Oh, Vince... still lying even now; only this time to protect Ada... </3 :sniffle: (Please don't be the death flag that that seems to be...! :pikka: {...And holy crap-- a while ago I never would have imagined that I'd sincerely say such a thing. I know that I've mentioned the incredible character development this mangaka has demonstrated about a zillion times now, but I still can't get over just how amazing the transformation of my feelings towards Vincent over time really has been: He went from being a character I literally loathed in the first part of the series to being a character that I truly want to be saved now at the end!}) And oh man, Oz... Gil's expression just said it all. :sniffle: :sniffle: I don't even know what to expect now that Jack finally has his body back for good, and how that all fits within whatever Oz planned; I'm just desperately hoping that Oz is not only still around (in his old B-Rabbit Chain form now, of course... that was basically what that explanation meant, right?? ...RIGHT??? :?: ) but can also still interact with the others in some way... because, if not (on either of those counts), I'm really not sure my heart can handle any more of this (and I'm only somewhat kidding)... :?: :?:

Oresama Teacher volume 17: Oh my gosh, I needed this, LOL. :lol: :hug: SPOILER: Highlight text to read: Shinobu's breakdown and return were as awesome as expected. :thumb: (Oh man, though, the onlookers' misunderstanding when he was trying to return the pigeon to Okegawa... :forehead: :lol: ) On a serious note, the thing with Hayasaka's picture wallet is really interesting, because he seemed genuinely confused when it was returned; between that, his expression when he looked at the original picture (of whomever it was-- although not revealed yet, I currently have a vague guess), and him indeed carrying it around afterwards while again having appeared to have forgotten about it, it seems that there's some sort of selective amnesia going on whenever he happens to look inside it-- and I look forward to finding out what's up with that whenever the mangaka chooses to reveal it. :thumb: As for the (always-excellent) 4-koma: Oh man, that little bit of Shibuya x Yukioka was hilarious. :lol: And the Minato x Okubo was not only really funny but also really adorable. <3 :lol: Oh, and to top it all off, this volume also had some rather amusing character profiles in the back (including the mangaka's answers to a few fan-sent questions)-- one of which was particularly notable because someone actually asked what would happen if the extremely-lucky character Gotou and the extremely-unlucky character Okubo happened to meet (something I've wondered myself, LOL)! :lol: (And the answer was perfect, too. :lol: )

And Until Death Do Us Part omnibus volume 8 (Japanese vol.'s 15-16): SPOILER: Highlight text to read: Having an enemy that's invisible to everyone except Mamoru made things pretty fun (as did all the rest of the crazy, high-tech weaponry that the others were using, etc.). Gotta say, though, LOL at the assassin/doctor guy calling out the absurdity of the situation. :lol: (And what made that comment even better was the fact that the situation actually works in the story, especially with the explanations given. :thumb: ) I'm quite looking forward to seeing what's up with all the various plans/counter-plans in motion + how they get out of this...
Saved by grace.

MAL (Anime) - MAL (Manga) - MAL (Profile)

(^ And if you also have a MAL account, please feel free to send me a friend request there! :) )
MangaRocks!

Postby mysngoeshere56 » Sat Feb 28, 2015 3:23 am

Shugo Chara! volume 9.
mysngoeshere56

Postby NekoNinja16 » Sat Feb 28, 2015 7:52 am

I'm at Vol. 13 of Love So Life.

NekoNinja16

Postby Nocturnalux » Sun Mar 01, 2015 12:46 pm

Shingeki no Kyojin chapter 52 SPOILER: Highlight text to read: At this point I'm beginning to wonder who *isn't* a Titan. When Eren turned out to have Titan shifting abilities it was a shocking moment, that Annie had similar powers was still pretty surprising but then Ymir (granted, if she wasn't a Titan it'd be strange, considering her name and it was a great idea to keep her name hidden to the viewer), Reiner and Bertolt turn out to be Titans as well. And not just your average Titan either but the Armored and Colossus, respectively. At some point it stopped being surprising and became almost random. With that said, the story is as violent and intense as ever. The fights between Titans are detailed and keep me on the edge of my seat.
Erwin's borderline suicidal campagain to rescue Eren was so insane one cannot help to gasp in horror. And how lucky he managed to escape by just losing one arm. And what are the odds of the Titan who ate Eren's mother suddenly appearing when things were at their bleakest. I suppose Hannes redemed himself by fighting it even if was so obvious it wouldn't end well but then again he gained time.
Armin playing mind games with Bertolt was sheer genius, I love how a 'weak' character is so pivotal to problem solving and able to think on his feet. It amuses me how I still at times confuse him with Historia, formerly known as Krista. I had the same problem with the anime but at least there the confusion cleared as soon as one of them spoke. And speaking of which, who knew Krista was such an important character.
I suspected that the Titans who appeared within the walls were actually humans (for all we know they all are) but what a horrible way for Connie to find about it. His entire village turned into Titans...that may be even worse than Eren's case.
Nocturnalux

Postby NekoNinja16 » Sun Mar 01, 2015 3:09 pm

I finished the 14th volume of Love So Life, but now I can't find the 15th. I've been reading it online, but maybe the 15th is in stores...

NekoNinja16

Postby NekoNinja16 » Mon Mar 02, 2015 7:58 am

Now I'm reading Sugar Princess.(the title kind of embarrasses me...)

NekoNinja16

Postby NekoNinja16 » Mon Mar 02, 2015 1:29 pm

I finished Sugar Princess, which was fine, but turns out it was kind of an incomplete series... --" Oh well.

Now I'm reading Kitchen Princess(so many princess-related titles!) and really liking it. ^^ Sugar Princess's art was a bit weird to me at some points, but Kitchen Princess's is better. Looks just like Tokyo Mew Mew(except the guys look a bit better). I guess I'm mostly a shoujo reader... ^^; (I'm not even that girly IRL, but I do love romance, so...)

NekoNinja16

Postby nillapoet » Tue Mar 03, 2015 7:39 am

Finished catching up on Fairy Tail. Tartaros arc was the best one yet imo.
nillapoet

Postby NekoNinja16 » Wed Mar 04, 2015 2:23 pm

Finished Kitchen Princess. It was very good. ^^

NekoNinja16

Postby CinniScrib » Thu Mar 05, 2015 10:36 pm

Bleach 618

Noragami 52

Zetman 210-213
SPOILER: Highlight text to read: Oh snap so Hanako really had no idea since her parents were the G2s

CinniScrib

Postby nillapoet » Fri Mar 06, 2015 1:08 pm

Is Akame ga kiru worth reading?
nillapoet

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Sat Mar 07, 2015 6:18 pm

The Heroic Legend of Arslan chapter 20

I loved the feast and all the interesting-looking foods spread out all over the place. And how much wine Farangis can drink XD

Liar Game chapters 135-143

For some reason I'd been under the impression that the musical chairs round was the last one, but apparently there's another one. And a Consolation Round too. I really love the development we're seeing of Abe's character; I find it really compelling and even got tears in my eyes when I found out about her backstory.

- Brad Stine
the_wolfs_howl

Postby artisticDreamer » Sun Mar 08, 2015 10:28 am

Death Note vol. 1
Pandora Hearts vol. 3
artisticDreamer

Previous Next

Return to Manga and Manga Reviews