What are you reading?

A place to discuss your favorite authors and poets, Christian and secular

Re: What are you reading?

Postby Thunderscream872 » Fri Jun 13, 2014 12:53 pm

Just bought Star Wars Death Troopers by Joe Schreiber. I plan to start reading it tonight.
"NO BLOOD! NO BONE! NO ASH!"

“I don’t take orders from anybody. If there’s something I wanna do, I do it. If there’s something I don’t wanna do, I don’t do it. That’s the dandy way to live, and I’m Dandy. Do you get it?” - Space Dandy

MyAnimeList - Anime-Planet - A room with a moose
Thunderscream872

Postby Jonathan » Fri Jun 13, 2014 7:40 pm

I'm now reading "The Republic" by Plato, "The Journal of John Wesley" by John Wesley, and "Hope For the Troubled Heart" by Billy Graham. I like all of them so far.
"And Jesus said unto him, 'Why callest thou me good? There is none good but one, that is, God."-Mark 10:18

"But of that day and that hour knoweth no man, no, not the angels which are in heaven, neither the son, but the father."-Mark 13:32

"Ye have heard how I said unto you, I go away and come again unto you. If ye loved me, ye would rejoice, because I said, I go unto the Father: for my Father is greater than I."-John 14:28
Jonathan

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Sun Jun 15, 2014 4:14 pm

Fool's Errand by Robin Hobb - I knew I was going to love this book, because Robin Hobb is one of my absolute favorite authors ever, and this is the first book of the trilogy that serves as a sequel to the Farseer Trilogy, so...I was already biased towards it :D And it did not disappoint! I didn't know what to expect, since the conflict of the Farseer Trilogy seemed pretty well wrapped up, but even though this happens fifteen years later, it somehow manages not to feel tacked on, and - hopefully - promises to answer some of the questions I still had about the Fool. I always liked him in the Farseer Trilogy; he's a weird, quirky character that really sets off the more serious cast of characters (especially the big wad of angst that is Fitz). But this book made me love him. Probably because I finally realized just how much he loves Fitz, which makes me love him even more.

I Am Not a Serial Killer by Dan Wells - I'd had this on the shelf for a long time, but only now have I found time to read it. And it is so good. :thumb: It's so exciting, and a really good page-turner. The plot and dialogue are really snappy, moving everything forward quickly and smoothly, and it's just such an interesting and different premise than anything I've read before. (Basic premise: A sociopathic teenager obsessed with serial killers is the only one who can save his town from one.) I highly recommend this to anyone who has an interest in serial killers, sociopaths, or other kinds of mental disorders, as well as thrillers. The main character is messed up, but that's what makes him such a fascinating, compelling character. He'd definitely creep me out if I met him in real life, but the book makes him very sympathetic.
the_wolfs_howl

Postby MomentOfInertia » Mon Jun 16, 2014 10:20 am

the_wolfs_howl wrote:...
I Am Not a Serial Killer by Dan Wells - I'd had this on the shelf for a long time, but only now have I found time to read it. And it is so good. :thumb: It's so exciting, and a really good page-turner. The plot and dialogue are really snappy, moving everything forward quickly and smoothly, and it's just such an interesting and different premise than anything I've read before. (Basic premise: A sociopathic teenager obsessed with serial killers is the only one who can save his town from one.) I highly recommend this to anyone who has an interest in serial killers, sociopaths, or other kinds of mental disorders, as well as thrillers. The main character is messed up, but that's what makes him such a fascinating, compelling character. He'd definitely creep me out if I met him in real life, but the book makes him very sympathetic.

A very good book but, yes kinda creepy. For example the main character helps his mother run the town mortuary, where all the interestingly deceased wind up eventually.
MAL - CAA MAL club - Avatar from Hyouka
"DaughterOfZion 06:19 - forget love, fudge conquers all. xD"
"Written assignments are never finished, only due." -me
-Speak not unless you can improve the silence.-
MOES: Members Observing Efficient Sigs
MomentOfInertia

Postby GeneD » Tue Jun 17, 2014 5:41 am

scribbledreamer wrote:Just finished Dear Mr. Knightley by Katherine Reay. It's told entirely in letters, a technique I've always loved, but is difficult to pull off. I started it thinking it was going to be a pretty fluffly book, but it was so much more. The characters were strong, the emotion raw, and the writing beautiful. For a lot of it, you could forget it was told in a letter. It was such a great technique, though, because the author brings it back at just the right moment, as a reminder that the only reason the main character is disclosing certain information is because of the letter. So, yeah, it's a book I'd definitely recommend.

Something about this piqued my interest so I looked it up. The plot seems to have been lifted straight from Daddy Long Legs by Jean Webster.

I sped through Fangirl, then The Castle of Dark by Tanith Lee and now I'm reading The Way of Kings by Brandon Sanderson, which even if I could speed through it would take forever, this book is a monster.
GeneD

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Sat Jun 21, 2014 3:07 pm

Foundation and Empire by Isaac Asimov - This is every bit as amazing as the first book of the Foundation Trilogy. It's full of political machinations and even though you could count on one hand the number of shots that are fired "on-screen"...this book is epic. Some parts were really exciting, the entire conflict is really unique and interesting, and the twist ending had me going :wow!:
the_wolfs_howl

Postby Adie » Sun Jun 22, 2014 11:41 pm

I recently started Northanger Abbey by Jane Austen. This'll be the first time I actually read/finish a Jane Austen book. I've skimmed bits of Emma but not enough for it to count.
Adie

Postby TheAlbinoMoose » Sun Jun 29, 2014 7:14 pm

Adie wrote:I recently started Northanger Abbey by Jane Austen. This'll be the first time I actually read/finish a Jane Austen book. I've skimmed bits of Emma but not enough for it to count.

Awesome! I'm a huge Jane Austen fan ^_^
Now I'm reading 'The Portrait of a Lady' by Henry James (kind of like Jane Austen but not as good)
Do you see this gorgeous creature?
That graceful profile. Those striking eyes. Behold the albino moose.
A wise man once said, "you can pick your friends, and you can pick your nose. But you can't pick your friend's nose."
TheAlbinoMoose

Postby radical edward » Thu Jul 03, 2014 1:39 pm

Starting Steelheart, a new book by Brandon Anderson
FKA rocklobster
radical edward

Postby yukoxholic » Mon Jul 07, 2014 1:54 pm

Clockwork Princess by Cassandra Clare. The faster I finish this book I can move onto City of Heavenly Fire.
yukoxholic

Postby Kaori » Mon Jul 07, 2014 5:47 pm

Finished Diary of a Russian Priest by Alexander Elchaninov. Although I said in my last post that I didn’t agree with everything he says, and that remains true, the book was still extremely good (fascinating, excellent, edifying, by far the best thing I’ve read in the past two months or so).

Tea with the Black Dragon by R.A. MacAvoy: A nice little light fiction read that successfully juggles multiple genres. It is not the kind of detective fiction that sets up a puzzle for the reader to solve, but it is magical realism, and a love story, and it has enough crime, stealth, and violence to give it that extra edge of tension and excitement. Pretty enjoyable overall; I think I read it more or less in one sitting.

Started to read (but do not intend to finish) God in the Machine, a book by Liel Leibovitz, a self-styled video game scholar. The book is about the spirituality of video games; the premise was intriguing, but the execution left a lot to be desired. For one thing, I thought that his premise about the similarities between religion and games was poorly constructed. For another thing, while saying that he is a scholar, he is writing this book which is not really scholarly at all but is more on a popular level, but he doesn’t do a good job of explaining what is actually significant about the theories and things he talks about, and the writing style is awful. Basically, it doesn’t really succeed either as a scholarly work or as a popular work. Not recommended.
Let others believe in the God who brings men to trial and judges them. I shall cling to the God who resurrects the dead.
-St. Nikolai Velimirovich

MAL
Kaori

Postby Chronicler1701 » Sat Jul 12, 2014 10:08 am

Just started reading "Kiss" by Ted Dekker and Erin Healy. Just starting the fifth chapter. It's pretty good so far. I'm quite happy that I live near a library.
Thank You, Jesus, for everything You've given me.

His Love is deep, His Love is wide
And it covers us.
His Love is fierce, His Love is strong
It is furious.
His Love is sweet, His Love is wild,
And it's waking hearts to life.

Current astronomical equipment:
Telescope: Meade ETX-90(pending repair)
Eyepieces: Meade Series 4000 26mm Super Plössl

Elements:
Water
Electricity
Heat
Cold
Wind
Magnetism
Time

Forces:
Strength
Speed
Beasts

And, finally:
All

Ed, Edd n Eddy is awesome!
Best Pokémon, ever: Deoxys
Favorite Fairy Tail Guild member and supporting character: Erza Scarlet and Loke. They're both willing to sacrifice everything they've got to protect those they hold dear.

Revelation 2:17
“He who has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit says to the churches. To him who overcomes I will give some of the hidden manna to eat. And I will give him a white stone, and on the stone a new name written which no one knows except him who receives it.” (NKJV)
Chronicler1701

Location: In the Royal City of Edolas, researching new techniques of building vehicles.

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Sun Jul 13, 2014 7:18 am

The Wheel of Time: The Gathering Storm by Robert Jordan and Brandon Sanderson

I'd given up on Wheel of Time when I slogged through book 6 and realized that I didn't give a flying flip about any of the characters, nothing was happening, and even when a character died at the end, I didn't feel a thing. Since then, I've looked online to find out what happens in the later books, but when I got to book 12, I decided to pick them up again, because Brandon Sanderson had taken over the writing after Robert Jordan died. And I admire Brandon Sanderson like few other authors, so I knew I had a greater chance of liking Wheel of Time again. And what Sanderson has done is absolutely amazing. He took someone else's story, wrote it without trying to imitate Jordan's style, yet somehow manages to make this story feel, not only like what Jordan intended, but what WoT had the potential to be from the beginning yet never achieved until he took the wheel. He writes this story better than Jordan could write it himself. He's taken characters and situations that I found completely annoying and that I didn't care about at all...and I love them now. Characters that were annoying at best before are now my favorite characters. Characters who seemed bland and uninteresting now make me laugh and cry. Female characters maintain their same personalities and attributes, yet they're actually distinct from each other rather than annoying angry clones of each other. I'm riveted to the page. It took me the better part of a year to get through book 6, but I read book 12 in less than a month ._. Brandon Sanderson, you are the king of fantasy.

The Well of Ascension by Brandon Sanderson

As if WoT wasn't enough, I also read the second Mistborn book, and of course I loved it. It was so fun, so filled with political intrigue and character conflict. And of course the battles were awesome. So many unexpected twists and turns, so many wonderful scenes. What became of Sazed, one of my favorite characters, by the end leaves a bad taste in my mouth, but I guess I'll see what happens in the next book. The Mistborn series is a really exciting read, and even though middle books of trilogies run the danger of being aimless and boring, I think The Well of Ascension successfully escaped that fate. I highly recommend this series to any fantasy and/or post-apocalyptic fan.
the_wolfs_howl

Postby GeneD » Tue Jul 15, 2014 6:12 am

Wooo Brandon Sanderson party! Where's Hat'n'Clogs when you need him.

I've read his Warbreaker and recently finished The Way of Kings, the first in the Stormlight Archive. Despite what I said earlier in this thread, I read it in exactly 3 weeks, which is record time for me for something that's a thousand pages long. I also bought the first Mistborn book recently, but haven't had a chance to get around to it yet.

I liked Way of Kings a lot, and his world building is very good, although I couldn't help but think that maybe it's a bit too precise, almost clinical, everything is just so. I don't know if that even makes sense because being well put together is the point of world building, but it's the best way I've found that I can describe my problem with it. Of course it definitely won't stop me reading the next book in the series.

@the_wolfs_howl, you mentioned Robin Hobb before and I've been thinking of getting into her stuff, do you have any advice on where I should start?

After Way of Kings, I read Mister Monday by Garth Nix and the second Hunger Games book. I'm still debating on what to read next.
GeneD

Postby AnaniAnime » Fri Jul 18, 2014 4:30 pm

The City of Glass (The Mortal Instruments)
And waiting for The Blood of Olympus (The Heroes of Olympus)
Hello!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
http://www.pinterest.com/ariannawesomez/
AnaniAnime

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Sun Jul 20, 2014 12:31 pm

GeneD wrote:@the_wolfs_howl, you mentioned Robin Hobb before and I've been thinking of getting into her stuff, do you have any advice on where I should start?

Well, I've only read four of her books, but from poking around on Wikipedia, I think the Farseer Trilogy is the best place to start anyway. (Most of the books she's written under the name Robin Hobb - which is a pseudonym - take place in the same world.) So I'd recommend starting with Assassin's Apprentice, the first book of the Farseer Trilogy. It's an absolutely amazing trilogy, and that book comes the closest to what I want to be as a writer than anything else I've ever read. I'm currently working my way through the Tawny Man Trilogy, which takes place fifteen years after the Farseer Trilogy with some of the same characters. She's also written the Liveship Traders Trilogy and the Rain Wilds Chronicles, but I don't know anything about them except that they take place in the same world.

Also: Keys to the Kingdom series = :thumb:

As for me, I recently read Bird by Bird by Anne Lamott. It's a book of advice and encouragement for aspiring creative writers. Most of the advice is stuff I'd already read elsewhere, in better detail, but the encouragement was highly appreciated. It's written in a very enjoyable, easy-to-read style. I'd recommend it to anyone who dreams of being an author someday, or is trying to pursue that goal right now.
the_wolfs_howl

Postby bigsleepj » Mon Jul 21, 2014 10:21 am

I've also been delving into Brandon Sanderson. I listened to audio book versions of Mistborn: The Final Empire, Mistborn: The Well of Ascension. Words of Radiance and The Way of Kings, with the exception of Mistborn: The Hero of Ages, which I listened to twice. I enjoy his worldbuilding but what I truly marvel at is his adept multi-volume plotting, which is why I chose to do Hero of Ages twice.

I also recommend the Farseer Trilogy as a way to enter the Real of the Elderlings.
bigsleepj

Postby raus8891 » Mon Jul 21, 2014 7:29 pm

Recently I just finished the Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. Tolkien. Probably the best. Nothing I have read, and I've read Sanderson, Jordon, Rowling, Burroughs, Lewis, Lawhead, and Duncan, not a huge variety of authors but authors who are known for creating worlds, none of them compare to Tolkien. It takes a master author to write about a legend and give the impression that the myth has been lost into the annals of history. None of these other authors give you the sense that what you are reading is ancient and that is what Tolkien does. He creates a story that is ever ancient and ever new. Brilliant.
raus8891

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Sat Jul 26, 2014 4:20 pm

The Wheel of Time: Towers of Midnight by Robert Jordan and Brandon Sanderson

Another wonderful example of Sanderson's skill. This book was so exciting, which I haven't been able to say about any of Jordan's writing since book 2. It was wonderful to see Perrin really come into his own in this book, and watch everything ramp up for Tarmon Gai'don. The last section, focusing on Mat, was freakin' awesome too, though I totally called SPOILER: Highlight text to read: that Moiraine was still alive as soon as she fell through the twisted red doorway. Another astounding thing that Sanderson has managed to do is take Jordan's lolwut romantic pairings that he just decided were going to happen regardless of whether they made any sense at all, and explained them all in such a way that you could really believe these characters actually love each other rather than just randomly falling in love because the plot requires it (except that it rarely does). Sanderson continues to amaze!
the_wolfs_howl

Postby scribbledreamer » Fri Aug 01, 2014 8:56 pm

GeneD wrote:
scribbledreamer wrote:Just finished Dear Mr. Knightley by Katherine Reay. It's told entirely in letters, a technique I've always loved, but is difficult to pull off. I started it thinking it was going to be a pretty fluffly book, but it was so much more. The characters were strong, the emotion raw, and the writing beautiful. For a lot of it, you could forget it was told in a letter. It was such a great technique, though, because the author brings it back at just the right moment, as a reminder that the only reason the main character is disclosing certain information is because of the letter. So, yeah, it's a book I'd definitely recommend.

Something about this piqued my interest so I looked it up. The plot seems to have been lifted straight from Daddy Long Legs by Jean Webster.

Oops, forgot to respond to this. In the author's note, she does mention that she took inspiration from Daddy Long Legs. I've never read it myself, so I can't say how much the details of the story are similar, but I do plan to check it out at some point. Despite that, I still really enjoyed the book.

Recently finished Three by Ted Dekker. I don't read too many thrillers, but this was so good. Also reading the fifth book of the Mitford series by Jan Karon. It's either love it or hate it, I guess, but the characters are fantastic.
scribbledreamer

Postby yukoxholic » Sat Aug 02, 2014 3:29 pm

Currently have 3 books in rotation: Clockwork Princess by Cassandra Clare, Inkheart by Cornelia Funke, and Sins of the house Borgia by Sarah Bower.
yukoxholic

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Sat Aug 02, 2014 5:29 pm

I finally finished reading The Book of Mormon (including Doctrine and Covenants and Pearl of Great Price), which I've been slowly working my way through for the past year. I've been curious about the Mormon faith for a long time (a dear friend of mine is LDS), so eventually I decided I might as well read their book, hoping to understand it better in their own words, rather than all the vague rumors and impressions I'd heard from other Christians. It's certainly been enlightening. I can see some major problems with it, but it's not as...weird as I was given to believe before I read it.
the_wolfs_howl

Postby Furen » Wed Aug 06, 2014 5:39 pm

Still plugging away at Black in my Circle series by Ted Dekker

Working on a new book called Prime of Life by P.D. Bekendam
It's about senior care home, and a doctor that chose to be a caretaker instead, I'm enjoying it, but so far, I haven't got into anything super intense. Good reviews on the book, and it's a nerdy book for Christians, so I'm there! (Main character is obsessed with prime numbers)

And I was thinking of reading The Tattooed Rats again.
And this I pray, that your love would abound still, more and more with real knowledge and all discernment. Be prepared to preach the gospel at a moment's notice. Do you know the gospel well enough to do so yourself? Be ready.
Furen

Postby Sheenar » Thu Aug 07, 2014 11:07 pm

Recently finished "Till We Have Faces" and "A Grief Observed" by C.S. Lewis.

Now starting "Partners in Independence" --a book about assistance dogs that I'm reading for an online book club I'm participating in. :)
"Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all. So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal." 2 Corinthians 4:16-18

"Since the creation of the Internet, the Earth's rotation has been fueled, primarily, by the collective spinning of English teachers in their graves."
Sheenar

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Sun Aug 10, 2014 8:57 am

The Wheel of Time: A Memory of Light by Robert Jordan and Brandon Sanderson

I'm finally finished with WoT!!!!!!!!! :dance: I've been slogging through this series for the better part of ten years, and FINALLY it's over! As much trouble as it's been to get to this point, this last book was freakin' epic. It's basically just one ginormous battle through the entire book. Lots of death, lots of magic explosions everywhere, lots of heroism. A wonderful end to the series.

2,000 to 10,000: Writing Faster, Writing Better, and Writing More of What You Love by Rachel Aaron

Just what it says on the tin. The author shares her experience with trying to increase her efficiency with writing, and gives recommendations for writing in general. It's not possible for me to write 10,000 words a day like she can, because of work and school, but I'm still going to try some of her methods to become more efficient and systematic about the way I write. Discipline is the only way to go from being an amateur to a professional.
the_wolfs_howl

Postby yukoxholic » Mon Sep 08, 2014 1:27 pm

Watership Down by Richard Adams. Nostalgia...
yukoxholic

Postby Sheenar » Wed Sep 10, 2014 12:37 pm

Reading a book called "Seeing Through the Fog" --about living with a serious illness. It was written by a pastor who has ALS. I'm a little over halfway through and I've found it very encouraging so far! It's real (no hokey inspirational poster-type stuff), but it points to Christ and hope throughout.
"Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all. So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal." 2 Corinthians 4:16-18

"Since the creation of the Internet, the Earth's rotation has been fueled, primarily, by the collective spinning of English teachers in their graves."
Sheenar

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Fri Sep 12, 2014 7:47 am

Warbreaker by Brandon Sanderson

This book is amazing. I think I still prefer his Mistborn books to this one, but it was a very fun read. There are so many vibrant, interesting, hilarious characters whose motivations are all clashing against each other. And naturally, a really unique magic system that just makes sense and is really fun to watch. My favorite character was Lightbringer; I absolutely loved his scenes with Llarimar. SPOILER: Highlight text to read: I loved them from the first scene they shared, and when the revelation that they're actually brothers came at the end, it suddenly all made sense. I love brother relationships, so it's no wonder I instinctively latched onto them! Perhaps best of all, Sanderson is actually offering the entire novel on his website for free, so it didn't cost me a dime to check it out. And it really worked as a marketing strategy, too, even though that seems counter-intuitive. As soon as I finished reading Warbreaker online, I went out and bought a physical copy of my own. It's just that good.

Till We Have Faces by C.S. Lewis

I'd read this before years ago, but when you're in eighth grade a lot of the subtler nuances of this story just go right over your head. I loved revisiting it now that I understand stories, literature, and allegories so much more fully. I'm sure I still haven't understood all the little allusions Lewis has put into this gem of a story, but it was amazing to read it again. Now that I understand it so much better, it brought tears to my eyes at the end. :n_n:
You can find out things about the past that you never knew. And from what you've learned, you may see some things differently in the present. You're the one that changes. Not the past.
- Ellone, Final Fantasy VIII

"There's a difference between maliciously offending somebody - on purpose - and somebody being offended by...truth. If you're offended by the truth, that's your problem. I have no obligation to not offend you if I'm speaking the truth. The truth is supposed to offend you; that's how you know you don't got it."
- Brad Stine
the_wolfs_howl

Postby mechana2015 » Fri Sep 12, 2014 9:18 am

Matter by Ian M Banks.

Funny thing though I was looking for a Sanderson book at the used bookstore when I found this book.

My Deviantart
"MOES. I can has Sane Sig now?"
mechana2015

Postby Furen » Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:52 am

I am reading 1 Corinthians, but I'm sure I'll be in 2 Cor soonish... :)
And this I pray, that your love would abound still, more and more with real knowledge and all discernment. Be prepared to preach the gospel at a moment's notice. Do you know the gospel well enough to do so yourself? Be ready.
Furen

Previous Next

Return to Book Corner