Fighting Games!!

Have a video game or or VG review? This is the place to to discuss it! We also accept discussions of board games and the like, but SHHH! Don't tell anyone, OK?

Fighting Games!!

Postby argilium » Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:36 pm

anyone playing fighting games here?

the ones i play the most are King of Fighters XIII, BlazBlue Chronophantasma and the new Under Night In-birth Exe:Late..

but i'm ok with any fighting games in general.. and i know stuff about them so there's room to discuss..
this thread is also open for anyone asking tips on how to fight well..
argilium

Re: Fighting Games!!

Postby Masaru » Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:17 pm

I don't play them too extensively right now, but I watched a good bit of EVO this year, and I'm interested in playing/learning more.
Thing is, I dunno how early is too early to like, go for a fight stick before I know for sure how into it I'd like to get, lol

The only traditional fighting game I own right now is Skullgirls pretty much.. though I'm interested in BlazBlue (especially after that hype final set O: )

Also since it looks like this is your first post, welcome to CAA!
Masaru

Postby argilium » Thu Jul 31, 2014 7:15 pm

thanks. i actually tried posting in the Who's Who beforehand but it didn't seem to get through..

anyway, fight sticks are not required for fighting games as you can get good in any inputting device so long as you practice.. the USF4 EVO champ uses a d-pad for example. in the end, it would depend on how comfortable you are or the style of the characters that you pick.. i personally only played with the D-pad myself all these years and i find it easier for me since i can input a dash (just pressing two forward buttons instead of driving a stick forward, letting go and driving it forward again) and many of my characters happen to incorporate micro dashes in their combos.. of course, i avoid characters that require piano inputs and/or negative edge since i only use my thumb..

i advise you to hold back on buying Blazblue for now, though.. a new version with balance changes is coming in a few months, and unless it's confirmed that it will come as just an electronic patch or a new disk, it's hard to make a decision to buy.. it would be a waste to buy the older BBCP disk if BBCP 2.0 also comes out as another physical disk.. if you can wait for another month and if you like anime, you can pick between Persona 4 Ultimax or Guilty Gear Xrd, taking note that Xrd will probably have a much larger following.. another newly released anime style fighter that is slowly gaining some popularity is Under Night In-birth Exe:Late..
argilium

Postby Kilvakar » Thu Jul 31, 2014 8:38 pm

Does Soul Calibur count? If so, then yes, I play fighting games!
Image Image
"Comrade isn't simply a word. Comrades are about heart. It's the unconditional trust in your partners. Please, fell free to lean on me...And I, too, will lean on you as well."---Mavis Vermillion, First Master of Fairy Tail

"There are people in this world who enjoy being alone, but there isn't a single person who can bear solitude."---Makarov Dreyar, Third Master of Fairy Tail
Kilvakar

Postby Thunderscream872 » Fri Aug 01, 2014 1:41 pm

I plan to check out BlazeBlue and Under Night.

Fighting games that I've really enjoyed: X-Men: Mutant Academy 2 (ps1), Godzilla: Destroy All Monsters Melee (Gamecube), Godzilla: Save the Earth (ps2), Godzilla: Unleashed (Wii), Soul Calibur V (X-Box 360), Injustice: Gods Among Us (X-Box 360).

I have played others, but those are the ones that I own/held my interest. X-Men: Mutant Academy 2 is probably the best fighting game I've ever played as far as actual gameplay goes.

Welcome to CAA, btw :)
"NO BLOOD! NO BONE! NO ASH!"

“I don’t take orders from anybody. If there’s something I wanna do, I do it. If there’s something I don’t wanna do, I don’t do it. That’s the dandy way to live, and I’m Dandy. Do you get it?” - Space Dandy

MyAnimeList - Anime-Planet - A room with a moose
Thunderscream872

Postby SilverToast » Fri Aug 01, 2014 7:45 pm

I mainly play super smash bros. competitvely.

I enjoy casually playing Soul Calibur III(ps2) and Street Fighter II too.

Some concepts are very similar between the games like occupying space for a certain time frame,punishing opponents for choosing a certain option, recovery, minimizing damage done by your opponent when you're put in a bad situation, etc...

I think the fighting game genre is one of the most complex and dynamic video game genres.
SilverToast

Postby argilium » Sat Aug 02, 2014 5:53 am

Kilvakar wrote:Does Soul Calibur count? If so, then yes, I play fighting games!
of course it does.

Ace33Wing wrote:Some concepts are very similar between the games like occupying space for a certain time frame,punishing opponents for choosing a certain option, recovery, minimizing damage done by your opponent when you're put in a bad situation, etc...

I think the fighting game genre is one of the most complex and dynamic video game genres.
yep.. fighting games, when played seriously, demand a lot in terms of:
strategy, as learning the game plan of the character one uses and the matchup against other characters helps in formulating how to approach matches on a meta level;
tactics, as one needs to be able to use the tools he is presented with to adapt with whatever situation in a short amount of time;
reading the opponent, because there is a counter tactic for every move done;
hand dexterity, which is perhaps what this genre demands more of than any others because the ability to input button combinations on moment's notice to pull off combos along with remembering them as muscle memory, each timing has to be precise to a certain extent;
patience, when playing defensively
willpower and resolve, as the above won't work well if you can't keep calm..

and each game title (barring their sequels), play differently..
argilium

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Sat Aug 02, 2014 8:34 am

I like a few fighting games - Super Smash Bros. (original and Brawl), Soul Calibur II and V, and Tekken 5. Of them all, I love Super Smash Bros. the best. But I'm not very good at any of them, so I just play for fun, rather than trying to master them. I favor Link and Asuka Kazama ;)
the_wolfs_howl

Postby Anirac » Wed Aug 06, 2014 10:50 pm

I play S4 League. It is an on-line third-person shooter in anime style. Do not recommend for sensitive Christians, nudity is blatant and unavoidable. And, being on-line, swearing and bullying are to an extreme. For the strong and resilient only!
But if you find yourself playing it, look for VewyPwetty in the European server; I'm in for friendly matches :)
Anirac

Postby Samuru » Tue Jul 21, 2015 9:18 pm

I'm big into SF, KOF (Kyo, Terry, Iori, or Yuri all day!).

I'm TERRIBLE at Smash Bros. I can't get the controls down so I always get whooped.
2 Corinthians 12:10
That’s why I take pleasure in my weaknesses, and in the insults, hardships, persecutions, and troubles that I suffer for Christ. For when I am weak, then I am strong.
Samuru

Return to Video Games and VG Reviews