Korra Goes Digital and Online

The real heart of CAA; discuss specific series, issues, and things related to anime here.

Korra Goes Digital and Online

Postby EHeroAndrew » Fri Jul 25, 2014 5:47 pm

As some of you who may not know, while Legend of Korra is going through their 3rd Season, the official Korra Facebook page and the creators of Avatar, Mike and Bryan, who explained in San Diego Comic Con that Legend of Korra will no longer air on TV, but will stream online on the Nickelodeon site. They will also sell their seasons on iTunes for digital download. To paraphrase the creators, they said the viewing numbers for season 3 was not very satisfying but noticed the online viewings were amazing. So this is the reason for the move. Personally I think it's a smarter move since most of their viewers for the show are young adults who grew up with anime or who have watched the Avatar series from the very beginning in 2005.

Tell me what you think and was it a smart move on Nickelodeon's part?
EHeroAndrew

Re: Korra Goes Digital and Online

Postby Banana Lobster » Fri Jul 25, 2014 6:30 pm

No more Korra on tv? Aw man, that's where I watch it! If it's only going to air online, then it looks like the anime gets put on hold-again. *sigh* :(
Banana Lobster

Postby EHeroAndrew » Fri Jul 25, 2014 7:09 pm

Banana Lobster wrote:No more Korra on tv? Aw man, that's where I watch it! If it's only going to air online, then it looks like the anime gets put on hold-again. *sigh* :(

Not really. They will put up new episodes online every Friday on August 1st. They have all the episodes done. They have no reason to put it on hold.
EHeroAndrew

Postby Thunderscream872 » Sat Jul 26, 2014 5:38 am

Eh, I know nothing about ratings or the way networks run their operations so I can really comment on whether or not its a smart move.

Being that it wasn't bringing that many viewers, I doubt their will be a sequel to Legend of Korra, which is a shame. I really don't know how much profit is made off of simply airing episodes online, though. Haven't watched Korra yet, but Last Airbender was amazing so I'm assuming its at least pretty good. lol, I'm sure its better than 95% of the other Western animation out right now.
"NO BLOOD! NO BONE! NO ASH!"

“I don’t take orders from anybody. If there’s something I wanna do, I do it. If there’s something I don’t wanna do, I don’t do it. That’s the dandy way to live, and I’m Dandy. Do you get it?” - Space Dandy

MyAnimeList - Anime-Planet - A room with a moose
Thunderscream872

Postby radical edward » Sat Jul 26, 2014 6:37 am

This is a terrible move for Nick! I am very disappointed in them.
FKA rocklobster
radical edward

Postby AnimeGirl » Sat Jul 26, 2014 8:13 am

While I am glad they have it online (I sadly do not have cable), I think it's not the smartest move, PLUS! Is it only gonna be sold on iTunes?? I really want a DVD of it, personally. I like watching it on my TV, I like having a physical disc. You can't make backups with iTunes stuff, it always has to use the iTunes players when it comes to videos and you can't burn it to DVD, which I feel you have a right to since you bought it (like with music). And not all of us have awesome Internet, so imagine the download time. I remember when the first 2 episodes were free on iTunes, that took FOREVER.

They should have it on both the Internet and the TV. If I had Nick, I'd watch it on TV.
AnimeGirl

Postby Thunderscream872 » Sat Jul 26, 2014 9:02 am

AnimeGirl wrote:While I am glad they have it online (I sadly do not have cable), I think it's not the smartest move, PLUS! Is it only gonna be sold on iTunes?? I really want a DVD of it, personally. I like watching it on my TV, I like having a physical disc. You can't make backups with iTunes stuff, it always has to use the iTunes players when it comes to videos and you can't burn it to DVD, which I feel you have a right to since you bought it (like with music). And not all of us have awesome Internet, so imagine the download time. I remember when the first 2 episodes were free on iTunes, that took FOREVER.

They should have it on both the Internet and the TV. If I had Nick, I'd watch it on TV.

http://www.freemake.com/

You could try out Freemake video converter (link above). It works great for me, though I rarely ever buy anything off iTunes or use it (iTunes) for anything, so I don't really have experience with iTunes' videos and what not. As the name suggests, its free, and you lose little to no quality when converting from one type of file to another. I primarily use it to convert from mkv. to avi., or to convert YouTube videos to mp3.

If you convert the files to avi., put them on a flash drive, and plug it into your tv (this depends on what kind of tv you have), you should be able to watch it.
"NO BLOOD! NO BONE! NO ASH!"

“I don’t take orders from anybody. If there’s something I wanna do, I do it. If there’s something I don’t wanna do, I don’t do it. That’s the dandy way to live, and I’m Dandy. Do you get it?” - Space Dandy

MyAnimeList - Anime-Planet - A room with a moose
Thunderscream872

Postby PLCDreamcatcher14 » Sat Jul 26, 2014 10:17 am

Whhhaaattt? I was wondering why there was only one episode last night. That really does bite. It's such a shame that an animated show with actual substance, heart, and quality gets kicked off of tv. I mean, it makes sense that the views are better online but still. And just like AnimeGirl, I hope they come out with it on DVD too! I just bought Book 2 the other day.
'What one does not understand one fears. What one fears, one destroys.' -Native American Indian Proverb
"Man: What surprises you most about mankind? God: That they get bored with childhood, they rush to grow up, and then long to be children again. That they lose their health to make money and then lose their money to restore their health. That by thinking anxiously about the future, they forget the present, such that they live in neither the present nor the future. That they live as though they will never die and die as though they never lived."
"God expects spiritual fruit not religious nuts."

PLCDreamcatcher14

Postby EHeroAndrew » Sat Jul 26, 2014 11:26 am

AnimeGirl wrote:While I am glad they have it online (I sadly do not have cable), I think it's not the smartest move, PLUS! Is it only gonna be sold on iTunes?? I really want a DVD of it, personally. I like watching it on my TV, I like having a physical disc. You can't make backups with iTunes stuff, it always has to use the iTunes players when it comes to videos and you can't burn it to DVD, which I feel you have a right to since you bought it (like with music). And not all of us have awesome Internet, so imagine the download time. I remember when the first 2 episodes were free on iTunes, that took FOREVER.

They do have them on DVD AND Bluray. I have the first 2 seasons on Bluray when they were released at Walmart.
EHeroAndrew

Postby nillapoet » Sat Jul 26, 2014 3:35 pm

EHeroAndrew wrote:

They do have them on DVD AND Bluray. I have the first 2 seasons on Bluray when they were released at Walmart.

I think the question is, will there be a dvd/br release for the third season.

I can understand the desire to go streaming only. Everytime there is a post from the Korra facebook, there are tons of comments about putting it on hulu or on the nick site. Either way, from past experience, nick is run by idiots.
nillapoet

Postby Banana Lobster » Sat Jul 26, 2014 5:29 pm

EHeroAndrew wrote:Not really. They will put up new episodes online every Friday on August 1st. They have all the episodes done. They have no reason to put it on hold.

No no no, I meant my anime-watching would be put on hold, not Korra. I don't get to watch anime much, so if I have to watch Korra online, I'll have even less time for anime.
Banana Lobster

Postby EHeroAndrew » Sat Jul 26, 2014 5:43 pm

nillapoet wrote:
EHeroAndrew wrote:

I think the question is, will there be a dvd/br release for the third season.

I can understand the desire to go streaming only. Everytime there is a post from the Korra facebook, there are tons of comments about putting it on hulu or on the nick site. Either way, from past experience, nick is run by idiots.

I think they will release Season 3 on DVD/BR. They'd be crazy not to. There are people who collect DVDs of their favorite shows so it wouldn't make sense to not release them on DVD even though it's online.

I think the real reason they are moving to online streaming and iTunes is bc more people are actually not watching it on TV and mostly recording them. Possibly the majority of the fans don't watch it on tv bc they either have to work during the time it runs, so they record it so they can watch it later.

So moving to online streaming and iTunes is a much more profitable for them since the internet allows them to watch it any time of the day and as many times as they want, especially for those who don't have cable but only internet.
EHeroAndrew

Postby Davidizer13 » Sat Jul 26, 2014 6:16 pm

Since Star Wars: The Clone Wars did their final season as a Netflix exclusive, I wonder how much this is trying to bandwagon off of that, but since Nick doesn't have a contract with Netflix anymore their website is what they have left to do it on. But since Netflix doesn't release their ratings we don't even know if Star Wars did any good with their move in a best-case scenario, so I'm not sure what they were trying to do with Korra in this less-than-ideal case, except take it off the network for something else? Maybe they thought taking it online meant more ad revenue per viewer because most people were watching on there anyway?

No matter what, taking a network show online exclusive is never a good sign or a vote of confidence. Luckily it sounds like this was going to be the last season anyway and had everything made already, because this smacks of Nick cutting their losses.
Davidizer13

Postby radical edward » Fri Aug 01, 2014 3:05 pm

Actually, Davidizer, there was supposed to be one more season.
FKA rocklobster
radical edward

Return to Anime and Anime Reviews