Soul eater

The real heart of CAA; discuss specific series, issues, and things related to anime here.

Soul eater

Postby Abi_chan » Mon Jun 30, 2014 9:24 am

My mom does not want me watching soul eater because of the demon-like undertones. Is it really okay for a Christian to watch shows like this? Thank you!
Abi_chan

Re: Soul eater

Postby Kilvakar » Mon Jun 30, 2014 4:26 pm

I would say that depends on your own personal convictions, but if your mother doesn't want you to watch certain things you need to respect her convictions and her authority.

Personally, I don't have a problem with Soul Eater because of the witches and monsters and such, I'm actually watching the series right now. But then, I've never had a problem with fantasy settings in general. Magic, monsters, made-up gods, those are found in most fantasy fiction. I simply accept them as part of a made-up, fictional setting. Watching (or reading, or playing a game of) a series that contains non-Christian elements does not weaken my beliefs or my interest in God.

But some of my family's closest friends have always been against anything that was too strongly fantasy. Not just things with witches or demons, but anything that strayed too far from reality. They didn't really like The Chronicles of Narnia, despite it's blatantly Christian themes, because it had Centaurs and Fauns and such things, which they tend to see as being demonically based.

God deals with different people in different ways, and if you believe that it's it's ok for you to watch a show like Soul Eater, then I say "more power to you." But like I said, if your mother says no, then don't resent her and obey her as God commands a child to obey his/her parents. But if you personally have doubts, if you're wondering "is this really ok for me to watch? There's a lot of questionable content in this show..." Then you probably shouldn't be watching it.

Just my thoughts and opinions, you've got to let God lead you the way he wants you to go. Hope this helps!
Image Image
"Comrade isn't simply a word. Comrades are about heart. It's the unconditional trust in your partners. Please, fell free to lean on me...And I, too, will lean on you as well."---Mavis Vermillion, First Master of Fairy Tail

"There are people in this world who enjoy being alone, but there isn't a single person who can bear solitude."---Makarov Dreyar, Third Master of Fairy Tail
Kilvakar

Postby nillapoet » Mon Jun 30, 2014 6:05 pm

I was hesitant to watch it because of the whole death -school thing, but after watching several episodes, I actually don't see to much wrong with it. But if your mom doesn't want you to watch it, you should respect her wishes. Some times you just have to trust your parents.
nillapoet

Postby Panda4christ:3 » Mon Jun 30, 2014 6:14 pm

I would say yes, It's fine. Except, I do agree with Kilvakar that you should respect your mom's decision. But if you want to tell her about the content and why you think it should be okay for you to watch it, then that's cool too (just know that in the end it's your mother's preference that rules). Buuuttt If you want a basic run-through of the content...
Despite the fact there's a school run by literal Death, there's no theological issues in it--unless you consider Black Star's dream of surpassing God a theological issue (which it really isn't, Black Star's just kind of an idiot XD ). But the lead characters (IMO) display a good amount of moral values and a grasp of right and wrong (not to say they aren't a little messed up). The style of the show has a bit of a Tim Burton look to it, which might make it look a bit creepier than it is. It has it's creepy-ish moments, but really Soul Eater's a pretty comedic show. There's a little bit of fanservice, but it pretty much dies out after the first three episodes.
Hope I was helpful~ :)
"People need fear, we experience it so we can grow stronger"-Maka Albarn
Panda4christ:3

Location: There are some things you should just keep to yourself

Postby twistedfairytale45 » Tue Jul 01, 2014 8:25 am

Yeah, you need to respect what your mother thinks. And she is right with the whole demon thing. I just started this show and I love it, but there are things in it that I do not approve of. The fact that they are stopping those who eat the good souls is fine... but then eating the bad ones afterwards is something I frown upon. Plus there are lots of awkwards scenes... they're short, but that doesn't mean they're not there.
And let's not forget the fact that they are working for the Grim Reaper(Death God, Shinigami, whatever you want to call him) and I don't really approve of that... though I must admit Shinigam-sama is a favorite of mine(minus the fact that he is basically death).

So that's my opinion on the matter. But, again, if your parents don't want you watching something, you probably shouldn't watch it.
"You can keep walking, or turn back, or take a different road." -Elliot Nightray
"What's left in the end..is not always what you wish for!" - Xerxes Break
twistedfairytale45

Postby Thunderscream872 » Tue Jul 01, 2014 9:03 am

I'm gonna basically repeat what everyone else said and say you should respect your mom's decision for now. The day will come when you're old enough to make those decisions for yourself.

Here's my take on all of this, almost everything we watch is made by people who aren't Christians, or at least is not made with a Christian Worldview in mind. Basically you gotta separate fiction from reality. If you feel that something you're watching is seriously disturbing you and causing you to fall away from God, maybe you should stop watching it. Eh, but whatever, if your mom doesn't want you to watch it, then don't.

Here are a few alternatives that I've seen or am watching. These aren't necessarily all like Soul Eater, but they're all good, entertaining action animes like Soul Eater

Attack on Titan (currently watching)
Cowboy Bebop
Darker Than Black
Fullmetal Alchemist
Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood (I haven't seen this yet, but I hear its action packed and very epic)
Sword Art Online
Guilty Crown
Bleach (does deal with demonic concepts, but it might not be as prevalent as it is in Soul Eater)
Black Lagoon (should warn you, there's LOTS of swearing in this one, lol)

The next few I'm gonna recommend are Mechas. The reason I'm separating them from the rest is cause I know Mechas aren't everyone's cup of tea.

Gurren Lagann (my personal favorite anime)
Gundam 00
Code Geass
Eureka Seven

I hope this helped :)
"NO BLOOD! NO BONE! NO ASH!"

“I don’t take orders from anybody. If there’s something I wanna do, I do it. If there’s something I don’t wanna do, I don’t do it. That’s the dandy way to live, and I’m Dandy. Do you get it?” - Space Dandy

MyAnimeList - Anime-Planet - A room with a moose
Thunderscream872

Postby Davidizer13 » Tue Jul 01, 2014 9:06 pm

Thunderscream872 wrote:
Here are a few alternatives that I've seen or am watching. These aren't necessarily all like Soul Eater, but they're all good, entertaining action animes like Soul Eater

Attack on Titan (currently watching)
Cowboy Bebop
Darker Than Black
Fullmetal Alchemist
Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood (I haven't seen this yet, but I hear its action packed and very epic)
Sword Art Online
Guilty Crown
Bleach (does deal with demonic concepts, but it might not be as prevalent as it is in Soul Eater)
Black Lagoon (should warn you, there's LOTS of swearing in this one, lol)

The next few I'm gonna recommend are Mechas. The reason I'm separating them from the rest is cause I know Mechas aren't everyone's cup of tea.

Gurren Lagann (my personal favorite anime)
Gundam 00
Code Geass
Eureka Seven

If the OP's mom has trouble with Soul Eater, she's probably also going to have trouble with pretty much every show on this list. But good try!

You are on the right track with the sci-fi/mecha angle, though. Most of those tend to tone down the supernatural elements (things like the Newtypes in Gundam notwithstanding) in favor of a more "realistic" viewpoint. I think Eureka Seven might be fine in that aspect? I've only seen a couple episodes, though. Likewise for Gundam 00, though there are way better Gundam shows to watch than 00 if you want to go that route.

What's that? Shows more like Soul Eater? Well...er, I got nothin'.
Davidizer13

Postby Jesus15Freak » Sun Jul 27, 2014 10:16 pm

I just finished Soul eater a couple of days ago and it's a pretty good one. But like everyone else is saying respect what your mom says but you can show her these comments and she could change her mind...just a suggestion. :P
Jesus15Freak

Return to Anime and Anime Reviews