What was your first anime?

The real heart of CAA; discuss specific series, issues, and things related to anime here.

Re: What was your first anime?

Postby MomentOfInertia » Fri Feb 14, 2014 9:43 am

First anime:
Uh, I'm not sure Could have been Pokemon, Megaman, One of the other Saturday morning shows of the late 90s. Could have been Princess Mononke. Could have been the Dragon Ball (Z?) movie that we rented that one time we had some cousins over. Ah the blurry past that was my youth.

First anime I watched as an Anime:
Naruto or Digimon. I watched Digimon first but I'm not sure on how clear I was on what it was.

And to add something new to the thread.

Last anime:
I watched some Kill La Kill last week.

Last anime finished:
Trigun: Badlands Rumble, or Attack on Titian. (depending on weather or not you want to count a movie)
MAL - CAA MAL club - Avatar from Hyouka
"DaughterOfZion 06:19 - forget love, fudge conquers all. xD"
"Written assignments are never finished, only due." -me
-Speak not unless you can improve the silence.-
MOES: Members Observing Efficient Sigs
MomentOfInertia

Postby AngelicTotoro » Sat Feb 15, 2014 5:54 pm

Hm, my first was either Fruits Basket or Angelic Layer. I can't remember nowadays. xD (love both)

Last anime I watched was Ergo Proxy. tbh it was a lot darker then I thought it was going to be, I mean I liked it okay, it just was so messed up by the end. :b
AngelicTotoro

Postby PandaPop » Sat Feb 15, 2014 6:33 pm

Not knowing it was anime: Sailor Moon or Pokémon, not really sure now.
Knowing it was anime: Neon Genesis Evangelion, I still remember staying up late, waiting for everyone to be done with the family computer, so I could watch it.
PandaPop

Postby Troy » Sun Feb 16, 2014 8:16 am

Pokémon I believe
Troy

Postby faithb4sight » Sat Feb 22, 2014 11:59 am

Pokémon, but I wasn't aware at the time that it was anime. Ah, Pokémon. Still makes me happy. If anyone likes the originals, give the new XY series a try. I was very impressed recently when I watch an episode.

First anime movie was Spirited Away, though again not sure I knew what anime was then, either.

First manga series was Inuyasha (picked up the first few books from the library on a whim). I think I started to watch the anime afterwards so that was my first official anime. :) Followed by Fruits Basket and FMA (original). Good times.
Image On the summit - even in the valley... God is good. I praise Him for all of everything.
"Now the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing, that ye may abound in hope, through the power of the Holy Ghost." Rom. 15:13
faithb4sight

Postby twistedfairytale45 » Sat Feb 22, 2014 8:31 pm

Well, first anime movie was Castle in the Sky. First show was Mega Man(the newish one, not the little little kids one) but I didn't know it was anime. After that I grew up listening my sisters trying to explain Naruto and Bleach(and peeking at the screen when they weren't watching me XD) but the first REAL anime I watched was D.N. Angel.
"You can keep walking, or turn back, or take a different road." -Elliot Nightray
"What's left in the end..is not always what you wish for!" - Xerxes Break
twistedfairytale45

Postby marro1 » Sun Mar 02, 2014 10:53 am

I watched Avatr: The Last Airbender when I was really little, along with Naruto. But what really got me into anime was Soul Eater.
Now I see. You’re Jealous. You’re jealous of humans aren’t you? According to you, humans are supposed to be a lot weaker than homunculi. And yet, even if they get discouraged after being beaten, and even if they get close to falling down after losing their paths, they continue to get up and fight. Everyone around them helps them get back up. And you’re envious of that.
Edward

I'm a worthless piece of garbage that can't even write a straight looking K!
Death the Kid.

marro1

Postby Jonathan » Sun Mar 02, 2014 4:12 pm

For me it was the English Dub of Pokemon back in the Late 90's.
"And Jesus said unto him, 'Why callest thou me good? There is none good but one, that is, God."-Mark 10:18

"But of that day and that hour knoweth no man, no, not the angels which are in heaven, neither the son, but the father."-Mark 13:32

"Ye have heard how I said unto you, I go away and come again unto you. If ye loved me, ye would rejoice, because I said, I go unto the Father: for my Father is greater than I."-John 14:28
Jonathan

Postby dragonzatch » Mon Mar 03, 2014 1:29 pm

My first anime was Pokemon, not entirely aware it was anime, then a Naruto movie, again not entirely aware it was anime...then there came Deltora Quest on The Hub, which I knew was anime. By the time I was ten I was a full-fledged fan with Fullmetal Alchemist and Sgt. Frog.
Don't you think that it's boring how people talk?

http://myanimelist.net/animelist/dragonzatch
dragonzatch

Postby jmark » Tue Mar 18, 2014 6:02 pm

Mine was Sailor Moon when it aired on the WB. Well, technically it was probably Superbook but I was so little I didn't know what Japan was. : /
"Always remember we come from a family raised on an island with a beach-based tourist economy that sold its sand because it somehow believed that brown mud was just as good. We shouldn't have hope, and yet we do." - A.C. Miranda on the subject of life on the Texas Gulf Coast.
jmark

Postby LastLfan » Tue Mar 18, 2014 7:02 pm

I'm making sure my little brother knows abou the glorious show japan has given us, he's only 4 so i haven't shown him any anime, just what he's seen over my shoulder(thank goodness i was watching going home club and not AoT) but he loves power rangers(i totally got him hooked) so I have shown him bits and pieces of the original japanese version. So he definetely knows what japan is and that they speak a totally different language XD as soon as my parents give the okay I'll show him Yu-Gi-Oh! Pokemon and whatever else i can find. I wish i had someone like me growing up :p
LastLfan

Postby Mullet Death » Thu Mar 20, 2014 5:58 pm

My memory is terrible, so I really have no idea what my first anime was, nor indeed what my first conscious exposure to Japanese entertainment was, but I used to really be into early Power Rangers shows, and my first anime were probably Digimon and Pokemon. The first anime that really had me hooked as an adult was the Durarara dub on Adult Swim.

I Am Mullet Death, Undisputed Ruler of the Mole and Crab People! Fear me!
Mullet Death

Postby Aven » Thu Mar 27, 2014 8:45 am

I believe Death Note was the first MANGA I read. I didn't get into the Anime. I believe my first ANIME was Shingeki no Kyojin/Attack on Titan.
Aven

Postby For_Him » Thu May 01, 2014 10:46 pm

My Neighbor Totoro was officially the first anime I ever watched, but Dragonball Z got me hooked!
For_Him

Postby Kilvakar » Tue May 13, 2014 4:11 pm

First anime for me was the original Full Metal Alchemist series. I loved the dramatic storyline and loveable characters. Shortly after, I started watching Bleach, probably my favorite series of all time!
Image Image
"Comrade isn't simply a word. Comrades are about heart. It's the unconditional trust in your partners. Please, fell free to lean on me...And I, too, will lean on you as well."---Mavis Vermillion, First Master of Fairy Tail

"There are people in this world who enjoy being alone, but there isn't a single person who can bear solitude."---Makarov Dreyar, Third Master of Fairy Tail
Kilvakar

Postby kerhin » Thu May 15, 2014 12:33 am

Most likely dbz or pokemon. But the first anime I watched while aware it was an anime was Naruto.
kerhin

Postby spark300c » Mon May 26, 2014 11:00 am

frist anime series that I can name is Samurai Pizza cats.
spark300c

Postby scribbledreamer » Tue May 27, 2014 7:43 pm

I was shown a couple of episodes of Lucky Star beforehand, but the first series I watched was Clannad.
scribbledreamer

Postby Danderson » Mon Jun 02, 2014 3:47 pm

Believe it or not, one of the old "Christian" anime series: Superbook and Flying House (english dub)
I didn't know either of them were anime though.

The first one that i knew was anime was Sonic X....
Danderson

Postby SincerelyAnomymous » Sat Jun 07, 2014 4:52 pm

I was actually a fan of Superbook and/or Flying House at the time, though didn't know they were anime. First one I actually knew was anime was Dragonball Z.
SincerelyAnomymous

Postby AnaniAnime » Sat Jun 07, 2014 5:15 pm

My first one was Fruits Basket :P
Hello!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
http://www.pinterest.com/ariannawesomez/
AnaniAnime

Postby Will » Mon Jun 09, 2014 11:46 am

My first anime that I watched was Pokemon.
Will

Postby FourFourSeven » Mon Jun 09, 2014 12:32 pm

When I was younger, I was able to see only a few anime movies, but only if I was lucky enough to stumble across them. However, I never actually attributed them as being anime, just some REALLY awesome cartoons.

But, the one that really got me hooked was Love Hina.
"Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.
-Napoleon Bonaparte

"Why can't EVERYTHING be rocket propelled?!"
-Mattias Nilsson, Mercenaries 2: World In Flames
FourFourSeven

Postby Thunderscream872 » Tue Jun 10, 2014 2:28 pm

Transformers Armada was my first, but I didn't think of it as an anime, just another cartoon. Didn't really connect it with Pokémon, G Gundam, DBZ, or the other anime on at the time.

Later on I watched Death Note and then FMA (2003), after that I was hook and went looking up different animes like crazy.
"NO BLOOD! NO BONE! NO ASH!"

“I don’t take orders from anybody. If there’s something I wanna do, I do it. If there’s something I don’t wanna do, I don’t do it. That’s the dandy way to live, and I’m Dandy. Do you get it?” - Space Dandy

MyAnimeList - Anime-Planet - A room with a moose
Thunderscream872

Postby Ryosuke » Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:01 pm

Rurouni Kenshin... I loved this so much that after watching the fist season that I scoured the internet and found a text translation of the entire manga series and read it at least 3 times, netflix-ed it several times AND read the manga online

oh wait... technically pokemon was the first obsession... *shrugs*
~*~Blessedly married to Okami!~*~
Ryosuke

Postby Jesus15Freak » Sun Jul 27, 2014 9:53 pm

My first anime was Dragon Ball. My dad wanted to share a tv show that he watched when he was my age and it actually got me hooked!
Jesus15Freak

Postby nln_rose » Mon Aug 04, 2014 9:22 pm

Speed Racer. my dad showed this to me, and honestly i didn't even know it was an anime until after i'd seen the live action movie. the first one i ever watched all the way through was Fruit's Basket.
I hope you don't mind me barging in like this. In spite of the profession I've chosen, I've never actually made a confession before. It's these times we live in. I did what it took to protect the children at any cost. That's how I always justified my actions. I took many people's lives, all that time believing there was no other way. My sins are so heavy. Too heavy. Too heavy to ever atone for. And yet, somehow I feel happy, at peace with myself today. It really can be done. Once you stop to think about it, there are plenty of ways to save everyone. Why didn't I ever listen to him? Why didn't I see that before it was too late? -Nicholas D. Wolfwood (Priest)
nln_rose

Postby MunSung » Sun Aug 17, 2014 1:46 am

Other than Pokemon as a kid the first one was inuyasha late at night in 2007
MunSung

Location: southern alabama on the gulf of mexico near mobile.

Postby GeassGirl222 » Sun Aug 24, 2014 9:59 am

Angel Beats!

I loved it, and ever since then I've been hooked. :)
“When you’re a kid, they tell you it’s all… Grow up, get a job, get married, get a house, have a kid, and that’s it. But the truth is, the world is so much stranger than that. It’s so much darker. And so much madder. And so much better.” ~ Doctor Who
GeassGirl222

Postby artisticDreamer » Wed Nov 26, 2014 9:44 am

I watched Astro Boy and Bakugan without knowing it was anime as a little kid.
The first thing I watched that I knew was anime was SAO.
artisticDreamer

Previous Next

Return to Anime and Anime Reviews