What are you reading?

A place to discuss your favorite authors and poets, Christian and secular

Re: What are you reading?

Postby FourFourSeven » Wed Mar 05, 2014 9:56 pm

"Stalingrad: The Fateful Siege: 1942 - 1943" by Antony Beevor
"Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.
-Napoleon Bonaparte

"Why can't EVERYTHING be rocket propelled?!"
-Mattias Nilsson, Mercenaries 2: World In Flames
FourFourSeven

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Sat Mar 08, 2014 12:55 pm

Tristram Shandy by Laurence Sterne - Blech, I'm just glad I'm done with it and the paper for it is written and I never have to look at it again. I know the kind of humor he was going for with this, but...it was so long it just got way too ridiculous way too fast. No thanks.
the_wolfs_howl

Postby Jonathan » Sat Mar 15, 2014 6:08 pm

I'm currently reading "Power For Living" by Jamie Buckingham.
"And Jesus said unto him, 'Why callest thou me good? There is none good but one, that is, God."-Mark 10:18

"But of that day and that hour knoweth no man, no, not the angels which are in heaven, neither the son, but the father."-Mark 13:32

"Ye have heard how I said unto you, I go away and come again unto you. If ye loved me, ye would rejoice, because I said, I go unto the Father: for my Father is greater than I."-John 14:28
Jonathan

Postby Lynna » Sun Mar 16, 2014 11:21 am

Just finished Scarlet, the sequel to Cinder by Marissa Meyer. I was skeptical of the series (The Lunar Chronicles) at first, but now I've officially stopped caring that they aren't perfect. I love them, and I'll be getting Cress out from the library soon...If I don't buy it first.
Lynna

Postby Adie » Mon Mar 17, 2014 12:43 am

Finished The Ocean at the End of the Lane. It was lovely.
Started A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini.
Adie

Postby Kaori » Mon Mar 31, 2014 4:52 pm

Since I last posted in this thread:

Finished reading v. 4 (the final volume) of Fr. Hopko's catechism series The Orthodox Faith. No new comments on this one.

Recently reread Humility by Andrew Murray, The Practice of the Presence of God by Brother Lawrence, and The Wind in the Willows by Kenneth Grahame, all of which are excellent.

Currently reading Heaven is for Real by Todd Burpo with Lynn Vincent (interesting) and Orthodox Theology: An Introduction by Vladimir Lossky (mind-blowing and unbelievably dense).

I'm wondering if there is anyone on CAA who likes the Chronicles of Narnia but hasn't read A Wind in the Willows. Fans of the former should definitely read the latter. A Wind in the Willows does not have allegory that is as consistent throughout the book as it is in The Chronicles of Narnia, but there are some particular places where the Christian content of the book is extremely clear to an adult reader (e.g. the chapter where Jesus Christ appears in an allegorical form), and it's incredibly beautiful. The book is also wonderfully affirming of the value of life and of physical creation, which is in line with Christian doctrine that is sound and not influenced by Gnostic tendencies. It is a children's book, but I've reread it twice now as an adult, and my appreciation for it has only deepened.
Let others believe in the God who brings men to trial and judges them. I shall cling to the God who resurrects the dead.
-St. Nikolai Velimirovich

MAL
Kaori

Postby John_Smith » Mon Mar 31, 2014 10:06 pm

Kaori wrote:I'm wondering if there is anyone on CAA who likes the Chronicles of Narnia but hasn't read A Wind in the Willows.

*raises hand*
And its wikipedia page makes a reference to Theodore Roosevelt right at the top... I'm definitely going to have to read this! That is, sometime after I finish The Silmarillion. It's blasphemy that I haven't read this yet count myself as a Middle-earth nerd.
John_Smith

Postby GeneD » Tue Apr 01, 2014 5:36 am

I recently finished Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix. Only two more to go \(^_^)/ but... they only get longer from here on out T_T. I'm still enjoying them, but man, this one felt like it lasted forever.

I'm now reading Raising Steam, the latest Discworld book.
GeneD

Postby Xeno » Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:36 am

I finished Girl at the End of the World by Elizabeth Esther about a week ago. Incredible book, and everyone I've recommended it to has been unable to put it down, same as I was unable to.

I also picked up Jesus is Better than You Imagined by Jonathan Merritt and When We Were on Fire: A Memoir of Consuming Faith, Tangled Love, and Starting Over by Addie Zierman.

I've been kind of on a Christian memoir kick lately, not sure why, but I'm finding them very interesting, so I'll keep reading them until I get worn out on them.
Xeno

Postby mysngoeshere56 » Tue Apr 01, 2014 4:34 pm

Reading Dracula for my Gothic Lit class.
mysngoeshere56

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Fri Apr 11, 2014 1:05 pm

Bleak House by Charles Dickens

This was a loooooooooooooooooong book - 881 pages in my edition. But it was excellent - a really complex plot, tons of characters all with their own motivations and goals, two alternating tenses.... Basically, this is an epic fantasy novel set in London...minus the fantasy :lol: Brilliant, brilliant writing. It also has the distinction of being the first Dickens novel that has made me cry :sniffle:

*goes off to check out the most recent BBC adaptation*
the_wolfs_howl

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Sat Apr 19, 2014 12:15 pm

To the Lighthouse by Virginia Woolf

A really weird book. It's written in a stream-of-consciousness style, so it can be quite hard to keep track of what's going on. The writing itself is absolutely beautiful, full of wonderful descriptions and just a feeling of calm thoughtfulness. But the plot is just kind of blah, so I don't really care for it much.
the_wolfs_howl

Postby radical edward » Wed Apr 23, 2014 1:09 pm

Currently on book 4 of the Mortal Instruments series.
FKA rocklobster
radical edward

Postby Chronicler1701 » Tue Apr 29, 2014 6:16 am

I've been reading the Chronicles of Narnia recently, currently just starting The Silver Chair; after that, there's only The Last Battle. So far my favorite book is The Magician's Nephew. The description of Charn is incredible, and the Wood Between the Worlds is so peaceful, I love it.

I've also read the Alex Rider novels Stormbreaker through to Snakehead and all three of The Giver books.
Thank You, Jesus, for everything You've given me.

His Love is deep, His Love is wide
And it covers us.
His Love is fierce, His Love is strong
It is furious.
His Love is sweet, His Love is wild,
And it's waking hearts to life.

Current astronomical equipment:
Telescope: Meade ETX-90(pending repair)
Eyepieces: Meade Series 4000 26mm Super Plössl

Elements:
Water
Electricity
Heat
Cold
Wind
Magnetism
Time

Forces:
Strength
Speed
Beasts

And, finally:
All

Ed, Edd n Eddy is awesome!
Best Pokémon, ever: Deoxys
Favorite Fairy Tail Guild member and supporting character: Erza Scarlet and Loke. They're both willing to sacrifice everything they've got to protect those they hold dear.

Revelation 2:17
“He who has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit says to the churches. To him who overcomes I will give some of the hidden manna to eat. And I will give him a white stone, and on the stone a new name written which no one knows except him who receives it.” (NKJV)
Chronicler1701

Location: In the Royal City of Edolas, researching new techniques of building vehicles.

Postby mysngoeshere56 » Fri May 09, 2014 1:37 am

Finally reading Battle Royale. :)
mysngoeshere56

Postby TheAlbinoMoose » Fri May 09, 2014 1:23 pm

mysngoeshere56 wrote:Finally reading Battle Royale. :)

I want to know if you like it! I'm thinking about reading it...

I recently read The Great Divorce by C.S. Lewis (I wish it was longer), and am now reading A Blunt Instrument by Georgette Heyer.
Do you see this gorgeous creature?
That graceful profile. Those striking eyes. Behold the albino moose.
A wise man once said, "you can pick your friends, and you can pick your nose. But you can't pick your friend's nose."
TheAlbinoMoose

Postby LastLfan » Sat May 10, 2014 9:07 pm

Chronicler1701 wrote:I've been reading the Chronicles of Narnia recently, currently just starting The Silver Chair; after that, there's only The Last Battle. So far my favorite book is The Magician's Nephew. The description of Charn is incredible, and the Wood Between the Worlds is so peaceful, I love it.

I've also read the Alex Rider novels Stormbreaker through to Snakehead and all three of The Giver books.

There is now a fourth giver book "son" I highly recommend it, perfect finale
LastLfan

Postby Chronicler1701 » Sat May 10, 2014 9:43 pm

Oh, cool. I'll look into it, thanks.
Thank You, Jesus, for everything You've given me.

His Love is deep, His Love is wide
And it covers us.
His Love is fierce, His Love is strong
It is furious.
His Love is sweet, His Love is wild,
And it's waking hearts to life.

Current astronomical equipment:
Telescope: Meade ETX-90(pending repair)
Eyepieces: Meade Series 4000 26mm Super Plössl

Elements:
Water
Electricity
Heat
Cold
Wind
Magnetism
Time

Forces:
Strength
Speed
Beasts

And, finally:
All

Ed, Edd n Eddy is awesome!
Best Pokémon, ever: Deoxys
Favorite Fairy Tail Guild member and supporting character: Erza Scarlet and Loke. They're both willing to sacrifice everything they've got to protect those they hold dear.

Revelation 2:17
“He who has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit says to the churches. To him who overcomes I will give some of the hidden manna to eat. And I will give him a white stone, and on the stone a new name written which no one knows except him who receives it.” (NKJV)
Chronicler1701

Location: In the Royal City of Edolas, researching new techniques of building vehicles.

Postby radical edward » Sun May 11, 2014 7:03 am

Currently reading The Fall of Five
FKA rocklobster
radical edward

Postby Phantom_Sorano » Wed May 21, 2014 12:39 pm

Rereading the Harry Potter series. On Prisoner of Azkaban. <3
Phantom_Sorano

Postby radical edward » Wed May 21, 2014 11:38 pm

Started the fifth Mortal Instruments book, City of Fallen Angels.
FKA rocklobster
radical edward

Postby Jonathan » Thu May 22, 2014 3:51 pm

I'm currently reading Angels by Billy Graham.
"And Jesus said unto him, 'Why callest thou me good? There is none good but one, that is, God."-Mark 10:18

"But of that day and that hour knoweth no man, no, not the angels which are in heaven, neither the son, but the father."-Mark 13:32

"Ye have heard how I said unto you, I go away and come again unto you. If ye loved me, ye would rejoice, because I said, I go unto the Father: for my Father is greater than I."-John 14:28
Jonathan

Postby nillapoet » Fri May 23, 2014 5:32 pm

I just finished Erasing Hell by Francis Chan.
nillapoet

Postby Kaori » Mon May 26, 2014 1:19 pm

Currently reading The Diary of a Russian Priest by Alexander Elchaninov, a collection of distilled, well-thought-out, sometimes gem-like fragments. Thought-provoking in an “I don’t always agree, but it’s really fascinating” sort of way.

Recently finished Forty Stories by Anton Chekhov (Vintage Classics). Overall, a lot of these stories are very anecdotal and sometimes don’t seem to have much of a point, but Chekhov is marvelous at describing how people behave within society and individuals’ mannerisms and quirks. Some comments about specific stories are in order:

“Big Volodya and Little Volodya” made me actually viscerally angry (not at Chekhov but at the things he describes). There are several other stories about people doing horrible things to people and horrible things happening to people, but to me the most noteworthy one in this category after “Big Volodya and Little Volodya” is “The Peasant Women,” probably followed by “Sleepyhead.”. “Heartache” is not quite in the same category but is aptly titled and powerful in achieving its effect.

On the other end of the spectrum, “The Student” remains one of the most beautiful and meaningful short stories I have ever read. Chekhov has quite a satirical wit, which he turns on everyone, not sparing religious figures, but he must have had some sort of very genuine belief in the truth and meaning of Christianity in order to write a story like this which is about the way that the events of Jesus’ life are transformative and fill our lives with meaning.
Let others believe in the God who brings men to trial and judges them. I shall cling to the God who resurrects the dead.
-St. Nikolai Velimirovich

MAL
Kaori

Postby radical edward » Tue Jun 03, 2014 3:58 am

Finished book 5 of The Mortal Instruments.
About to start Urchin and the Heartstone, the second book in the Mistmantle Chronicles.
FKA rocklobster
radical edward

Postby GeneD » Tue Jun 03, 2014 5:42 am

I took forever to get through Raising Steam and then needed something preferably quick and straightforward. So now I'm reading Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell, which I originally heard about via Noelle Stevenson, the cover artist, and then randomly saw at a book sale for cheap enough that it wouldn't matter if it didn't turn out to be good. It's definitely not bad so far.
GeneD

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Tue Jun 03, 2014 5:58 pm

Finally finished Mansfield Park by Jane Austen. Loved it! The romance was beautiful, and like all Jane Austen romances, very satisfying. It was particularly special to me, because I am Fanny Price :wow!:
the_wolfs_howl

Postby scribbledreamer » Sun Jun 08, 2014 9:02 pm

Just finished Dear Mr. Knightley by Katherine Reay. It's told entirely in letters, a technique I've always loved, but is difficult to pull off. I started it thinking it was going to be a pretty fluffly book, but it was so much more. The characters were strong, the emotion raw, and the writing beautiful. For a lot of it, you could forget it was told in a letter. It was such a great technique, though, because the author brings it back at just the right moment, as a reminder that the only reason the main character is disclosing certain information is because of the letter. So, yeah, it's a book I'd definitely recommend.

...I get a little too excited about books. :P

Also, has anyone read Uglies? I started it, but couldn't get a feel for the characters (and the dialogue was annoying me...) and decided to return it to the library without finishing it. Any reason I should keep reading?
scribbledreamer

Postby MomentOfInertia » Tue Jun 10, 2014 8:09 am

scribbledreamer wrote:Just finished Dear Mr. Knightley by Katherine Reay. It's told entirely in letters, a technique I've always loved, but is difficult to pull off. I started it thinking it was going to be a pretty fluffly book, but it was so much more. The characters were strong, the emotion raw, and the writing beautiful. For a lot of it, you could forget it was told in a letter. It was such a great technique, though, because the author brings it back at just the right moment, as a reminder that the only reason the main character is disclosing certain information is because of the letter. So, yeah, it's a book I'd definitely recommend.

...I get a little too excited about books. :P

Also, has anyone read Uglies? I started it, but couldn't get a feel for the characters (and the dialogue was annoying me...) and decided to return it to the library without finishing it. Any reason I should keep reading?

I vaguely recall reading and liking something else by the author but, not being interested in Uglies.(Of course the library didn't have it either so I couldn't have read it even the description had interested me.)
MAL - CAA MAL club - Avatar from Hyouka
"DaughterOfZion 06:19 - forget love, fudge conquers all. xD"
"Written assignments are never finished, only due." -me
-Speak not unless you can improve the silence.-
MOES: Members Observing Efficient Sigs
MomentOfInertia

Postby SincerelyAnomymous » Thu Jun 12, 2014 8:15 pm

Currently reading King of the Wind by Marguerite Henry. It's pretty good so far.
SincerelyAnomymous

Previous Next

Return to Book Corner