[Fall 2013] anime orientation week

The real heart of CAA; discuss specific series, issues, and things related to anime here.

Re: [Fall 2013] anime orientation week

Postby blkmage » Sat Dec 07, 2013 2:00 pm

Yes, public service announcement: watch the Yozakura Quartet OVA because otherwise you'll lose a whole arc and, more importantly, because it's really good.
blkmage

Postby Kaori » Sat Dec 07, 2013 5:27 pm

Yowamushi Pedal episodes 8-9: episode 8 has some heartwarming moments, episode 9 is ridiculously melodramatic, and that scenery at the top of the mountain is gorgeous. Other than that I really don't have much to say about these episodes.
Let others believe in the God who brings men to trial and judges them. I shall cling to the God who resurrects the dead.
-St. Nikolai Velimirovich

MAL
Kaori

Postby MangaRocks! » Sat Dec 07, 2013 8:59 pm

GeneD wrote:Galilei Donna ep. 8-9: SPOILER: Highlight text to read: If she doesn't end up as her own ancestor then this will be the biggest waste of time travel ever.

:lol: :lol:

GeneD wrote:Kyousougiga ep 7-8: SPOILER: Highlight text to read: I know it was like super obvious, but I'm not too fond of Inari as dad!Myoue although I can't really say why. Maybe because he looks like a kid/younger for whatever reason and he seems to be a bit of a jerk. I'm got a bit more used to him in ep 8 though. And the Head Priest's voice is weird and doesn't match his character design. That said, I still freaking love this show. Kyoto and Yakushimaru are so cool in ep 8 and that ending was awesome. The trailer has me a little worried though. I really hope everyone makes it out okay and Yase's memory problem isn't permanent. Only two episodes left! T_T

SPOILER: Highlight text to read: Regarding Inari: Well, I could be wrong, of course, and obviously it'll depend on the last couple of ep.'s ( + BTW, going by MAL, supposedly there's another special ".5" ep. afterwards, as well! :) ), but this is precisely what I meant when I said that he's very difficult to read, LOL. :sweat: Personally, I don't really see him as a jerk, though, because for one thing, he was never actually human in the first place (confirmed by this ep.), and I think that combined with humans usually rejecting his company in fear of his powers plus the implied constraints of his actual 'assigned role' is all adequate excuse for him to be rather more awkward than even normal people can be when it comes to relationships + talking about stuff + etc.; plus, there's the whole big conflict-of-interest between what he was supposed to be doing and what he actually did; plus, there's whatever he'd planned/is planning; etc. He's mysterious, for sure, and I'll grant that he's not necessarily easy to like (although I actually do :) ), but yeah, despite his on-the-surface 'distance' from others, it's pretty clear IMO that he does care underneath, so I don't think he's being mean on purpose or anything. :) Oh, and as for his height, LOL :grin: , even Myoue-the-younger wondered about that :grin: , so I assume it'll be at least somewhat addressed. :) Just judging by the next-ep. preview (plus adding in the fact that Koto-the-younger took her mother's powers, etc.), I'm thinking his loss of height had something to do with Koto-the-younger's creation :) , but of course we'll have to see.

Speaking of that preview, though, yeah, I'm a bit worried, too. :sweat: I just want a happy ending with the family all together... :?:
Saved by grace.

MAL (Anime) - MAL (Manga) - MAL (Profile)

(^ And if you also have a MAL account, please feel free to send me a friend request there! :) )
MangaRocks!

Postby GeneD » Tue Dec 10, 2013 4:26 am

MangaRocks! wrote: SPOILER: Highlight text to read: Regarding Inari: Well, I could be wrong, of course, and obviously it'll depend on the last couple of ep.'s ( + BTW, going by MAL, supposedly there's another special ".5" ep. afterwards, as well! :) ), but this is precisely what I meant when I said that he's very difficult to read, LOL. :sweat: Personally, I don't really see him as a jerk, though, because for one thing, he was never actually human in the first place (confirmed by this ep.), and I think that combined with humans usually rejecting his company in fear of his powers plus the implied constraints of his actual 'assigned role' is all adequate excuse for him to be rather more awkward than even normal people can be when it comes to relationships + talking about stuff + etc.; plus, there's the whole big conflict-of-interest between what he was supposed to be doing and what he actually did; plus, there's whatever he'd planned/is planning; etc. He's mysterious, for sure, and I'll grant that he's not necessarily easy to like (although I actually do :) ), but yeah, despite his on-the-surface 'distance' from others, it's pretty clear IMO that he does care underneath, so I don't think he's being mean on purpose or anything. :) Oh, and as for his height, LOL :grin: , even Myoue-the-younger wondered about that :grin: , so I assume it'll be at least somewhat addressed. :) Just judging by the next-ep. preview (plus adding in the fact that Koto-the-younger took her mother's powers, etc.), I'm thinking his loss of height had something to do with Koto-the-younger's creation :) , but of course we'll have to see.

SPOILER: Highlight text to read: I've thought about it and the biggest "problem" is that, for me, they just don't seem/act like the same person. Their personalities carry over so differently. Dad!Myoue was this quiet, peaceful, creative, oblivious guy and if he was distant, it was in a forgetful kind of way. Inari is much sharper and aware of the things happening in the world(s) around him, much more mysterious and scheming. Even if like you said, and which I agree with, he cares about his family, his distance is much more prickly. The thing is that I liked dad!Myoue that way and now he seems like a completely different person and it makes me a bit sad.
GeneD

Postby MangaRocks! » Tue Dec 10, 2013 2:24 pm

GeneD wrote: SPOILER: Highlight text to read: I've thought about it and the biggest "problem" is that, for me, they just don't seem/act like the same person. Their personalities carry over so differently. Dad!Myoue was this quiet, peaceful, creative, oblivious guy and if he was distant, it was in a forgetful kind of way. Inari is much sharper and aware of the things happening in the world(s) around him, much more mysterious and scheming. Even if like you said, and which I agree with, he cares about his family, his distance is much more prickly. The thing is that I liked dad!Myoue that way and now he seems like a completely different person and it makes me a bit sad.

^ Ah-- I actually didn't really make that distinction before, but now I see what you mean. SPOILER: Highlight text to read: It's true, Inari does feel more scheme-y and prickly than his original incarnation. Thinking about it now, I guess I had just subconsciously chalked that up to his having to be separated from everyone and being watched more closely by the Shrine and all that, meaning that there was a lot of extra stress/sadness to deal with as well as (I assumed) basically *having* to scheme to be able to get back to (the rest of) his family again, etc. But yeah, I'd definitely agree that he *was* a lot more easily likeable in the beginning. :) Hopefully these last few ep.'s do explain a little bit more there...

EDIT: Also, just found two really interesting posts that might give some background on what's going on with some of Kyousougiga's characters and mythology, and thought I'd provide some links to them here so they're easy for others to find as well. :)
Saved by grace.

(^ And if you also have a MAL account, please feel free to send me a friend request there! :) )
MangaRocks!

Postby GeneD » Thu Dec 12, 2013 12:08 pm

Kyousougiga ep. 9: SPOILER: Highlight text to read: That awkward moment when you wait years and years for your dad's return and it turns out he's a crazy little [word I can't say on CAA]. Jokes aside, what the heck are you doing Inari? At least I feel vindicated in calling him a jerk.

A lot of the theology stuff went over my head a bit, but in a good way, and hopefully it would make a re-watch more interesting. I'd like to understand Inari's motivation better, since it's still not exactly clear (to me at least) what he's actually trying to accomplish. Interesting post regarding that here. Whatever else he is, he's a real drama queen in this ep.

Kurama and Yase's scenes were beautiful and so heartbreaking. T_T One the one hand I hope they reappear since I just want everyone to be happy, but on the other, that might diminish the bittersweet poignancy of these scenes somewhat. Above all I hope the last episode is well done and satisfying. Tables may be flipped if not. The preview didn't inspire a great deal of confidence but we can only wait and see.
GeneD

Postby ForeverInspired » Thu Dec 12, 2013 1:35 pm

^ I saw that link as well. If what it states is true, believe it or not, I will accept it. I actually really, really, really like characters who have a cunning side to them with many facades. You don't come across well-written ones too often. Also, Inari sort of reminds me of SPOILER: Highlight text to read: Izaya in a way.
ForeverInspired

Postby KazeShiki » Fri Dec 13, 2013 4:47 am

^That post is how I've interpreted his actions as well. I don't really see it ending any other way.

Non Non Biyori has turned out to be a really good SoL with light comedy. Watch if you want something relaxing. Or because it's good.
"It was then that I found the darkness in my heart, but I wanted to become a strong person who didn't yield to such weakness." - Nana Mizuki
KazeShiki

Postby MangaRocks! » Fri Dec 13, 2013 1:11 pm

( ^ Will join in the continuing Kyousougiga discussion at the bottom of this post... but first: Whoops! Forgot to post about last week's GT and KLK. :sweat: Adding comments on those to the beginning of my {already-quite-long} group of comments on the last few days' shows... :sweat: )

Golden Time episode 10:

Well, that was interesting. :grin: SPOILER: Highlight text to read: LOL, so (apparently) his poor spirit was actually only back in his body for like 5 seconds? Well, I have to hand it to them for subverting my expectations there. :grin: Though his spirit's desire to see Linda *was* so strong that it still lingered even after it (apparently) got knocked back out again, which (combined with the slight loopiness from the fever + medication) did make for a bit of inner conflict on Banri's part. But I didn't dislike how it was done, and I had actually been expecting to, so IMO it was handled pretty well (at least for now). Also, LOL at Mitsuo and 2D-kun coming over as well as Koko, and the humor (and sweetness) that ensued afterwards. :)

Kill la Kill episode 10:
GeneD wrote:I really enjoyed episode 10, more than I have many of the recent episodes. SPOILER: Highlight text to read: The defeated elite were hilarious and the conversation between Mikisugi and Tsumugu adds another layer of intrigue.

^ No kidding-- they were indeed hilarious! :lol: SPOILER: Highlight text to read: And I'm also really curious as to what the discussion was about at the end...

Beyond The Boundary episode 11:

SPOILER: Highlight text to read: Okay, so nevermind about the still-within-the-dream theory-- it was just another dimension, is all. :) And ah, so the "Beyond The Boundary" (and the ensuing immortality) was a separate thing from just being half-youmu-- I'd been wondering about that. As for the rest of the ep: Well, there were certainly some overly-convenient/eyeroll-worthy moments-- like the cliché bad-guy-pointlessly-monologuing-out-loud-to-himself-about-stuff-he-already-knew, etc. (...and what the heck even is his problem, anyway? Does he seriously want to the planet to be destroyed or something? :eyebrow: Dude needed way more development to be plausible :shady: ), getting Akihito's stone back (which doesn't really make much sense either... I mean, if he's *still* half-youmu {and he is}, how did that even get detached in the first place?), and how anyone could possibly know about the 'fake' Akihito created by Mirai's feelings (...must have some really powerful eyesight there, LOL :P )-- however, I can't deny that I rather like Akihito and Mirai as a couple (when he's being serious about it), so despite all the plot holes I did rather enjoy all of *those* moments. :) So I do hope this has a good ending in that regard (because if it doesn't, despite the prettiness of the visuals I think this entire series would end up having been rather a waste of my time... :sweat: )

Galilei Donna episode 10:

SPOILER: Highlight text to read: Yep-- I *knew* the love letters were going to be for her. :sweat: Seriously, though, other than that and doing the whole Bootstrap Paradox thing with the goldfish/etc., the point of this was... what, exactly? :shady: Though, again, it's not like I'm taking this show seriously now anyway; but, really, they're not even trying anymore. :eyeroll: And that's not to mention all the stuff that you'd think should be wrapped up in just one more episode, which I highly doubt this series will do (and even if it does, I also highly doubt it will do it well, judging by the writing so far)...

Samurai Flamenco episode 10:

Holy crap. :pikka: SPOILER: Highlight text to read: Okay, first things first: As lighthearted as the show had been up until (and actually rather a good portion of it still after) the gorilla happened, I quite like the fact that they don't pull their punches when it comes to the brutality of some of the baddies (the gorilla, King T.) and the ensuing violence against them as well. When it's used in stark contrast like that, it makes it have a lot more impact than the same scenes would if they were the series' norm. For example, the gorilla thing a few episodes ago was truly shocking; and in this episode, King T. was actually pretty terrifying-- in fact, that one relatively minor finger injury he inflicted upon Moe actually made me cringe nearly as much as some of the worst scenes I've seen in far gorier series (case in point). :pikka: So yeah, the writing and direction on this has been pretty great so far, IMO. Other things of note, in no particular order: Well, I had to LOL at the random passerby who, when confronted with the sight of a giant jelly monster, just calmly remarked, "What is that? Are we screwed?" :lol: Also, curious as to who saved the inventor guy-- was that supposed to be Red Axe, or...? And man, Mari got one heck of a wake-up call as to her own character here. Hopefully her lesson has indeed been learned. Finally: Goto is the best. :grin: He was just pure awesome in every single frame he appeared. Favorite character of the series: confirmed! :thumb: Can't wait to see where it's going next!

Nagi no Asukara episode 11:

SPOILER: Highlight text to read: LOL at Chisaki's parents being right there and Kaname's matter-of-fact statement to them. :grin: Anyway, wow-- Akari announcing that she wanted to be the 'sacrifice' (although she only meant it as a temporary thing...) was a surprise, and made me a bit concerned. In fact, I still have a rather ominous feeling about that...

And finally, Kyousougiga episode 9:
First, regarding the posts on this above: SPOILER: Highlight text to read: Well, I cannot possibly dislike anyone who genuinely believes that his own daughter is a 'most wonderful, most special, and most blessed miracle.' :hug: (And I also really liked Inari being super talkative {and amusingly animated} for once, too. :) ) As for his actions, I firmly believe that he does indeed have a good reason for everything he's done, and the explanation put forth in that MAL post is exactly what I gathered from the ep., as well-- it makes perfect sense with all the dialogue/plot points/themes having to do with Myoue-the-younger and his desire (or not) to live/the power transfer/using said powers/etc.

I also found the theology (and the ensuing reveals of who certain characters actually were/what the Shrine is really for/etc.) quite fascinating indeed. And man, the 'end' of Kurama and Yase, and their final words to Myoue... :pikka: :sniffle:

IMO this ep. was as brilliant as the rest of them, and this series hasn't let me down yet-- so I'm quite hopeful about the finale. Whether Myoue makes Kurama and Yase return or not, I can't wait to see what he will create-- and, despite being a bit sad that this magnificent series has only one more episode (plus a special?) to go, I also can't wait to see how it all ends (...and begins)!
Saved by grace.

MangaRocks!

Postby blkmage » Fri Dec 13, 2013 5:48 pm

The thing about Golden Time is that it's a dramabomb waiting to explode. We all know this and it makes no effort to hide this, just like we all know who's going to end up together, another common property of light novel romantic comedies. What will be interesting is seeing how our little amnesiac deals with this, because unlike other works where protag-kun conveniently has amnesia, this one appears to have a history and consequences.

If you think about other amnesiacs in other stories, usually, they learn about their surroundings and become integrated before there's a huge tweeeeeest where some special thing is revealed about them. This doesn't happen here because it's 21st century Japan. This leads us to ghost-kun. The ghost probably seems like a contrived supernatural character if you consider the ghost literally, so don't. The ghost is a metaphor for his previous life and serves as a narrative device to connect us to that previous life. We all know that at some point in the story, his memories are going to come back in some form. Again, the ghost possession and stuff is a metaphor.

So Golden Time is about how Banri deals with the effects of his amnesia. We know how he dealt with it immediately after waking up. SPOILER: Highlight text to read: He cut everyone off because he was justifiably afraid of facing everyone he knew as someone who wasn't the Banri they knew. The rest of Golden Time is about his coming to terms with this decision. Eventually, his memories are going to come back and he's going to have to bridge his old and new lives together. A big part of that will be dealing with Koko and Linda.
blkmage

Postby MangaRocks! » Mon Dec 16, 2013 4:46 pm

^ @blkmage: Interesting analysis. Personally, the inclusion of the spirit/ghost/whatever element actually didn't bother me at all (since I'm quite used to such things being present even in supposedly-'realistic' stories :) ), so whether or not it was intended to be taken seriously or metaphorically, I don't think it would really affect my current view of the series one way or the other. I'm just glad the amnesia stuff is being handled better than I had expected it to be. :)

...Speaking of Golden Time, episode 11:

SPOILER: Highlight text to read: Well, at least Koko's doing her best to control herself, LOL (for now...). :grin: Also: Oh gosh-- it was obvious that the job Nana offered was going to end up being something embarrassing, but what it actually was, and the guys' reactions to it, were pretty amusing. :forehead: :lol:

And Kill la Kill episode 11:

Bwahaha, oh man-- I could watch the reactions/interactions/commentary from SPOILER: Highlight text to read: Mako + the defeated Elite all day. :lol: :lol: Also, the little SPOILER: Highlight text to read: Mako x Gamagoori thing-- whether as friends or as romantic interests, whichever occurs-- that seems to have been being hinted for a while now is weirdly adorable. :grin:

As for plot: Along with the obvious timing of this arc, I'd been thinking for a number of episodes now that SPOILER: Highlight text to read: Satsuki & co. weren't going to end up being the real bad guys-- I mean, despite her methods, it seems fairly obvious that Satsuki has a bigger reason behind what she's been doing, and the Elite are actually really likeable when they're not fighting-- and yep, with this episode it now seems pretty clear that Satsuki's mother is the final boss. On that same note, I'm also wondering if Ryuuko and Satsuki are actually sisters/half-sisters/cousins/etc.-- actually, I had thought of that possibility quite a while ago, then immediately dismissed it as probably being too cliché-- but now, taking into account the fact that Ryuuko and Satsuki's eye and (main) hair color are basically identical, plus the color-curled bit in Ryuuko's hair looking very similar to Satsuki's mother's rainbow-curls, plus there apparently being two different pairs of scissors (there's a third blade now, and I'm certain the mother has one too), it's all leading me to that conclusion pretty strongly. But at this point I don't even mind if that's a cliché, because this series has been consistently entertaining no matter what it's done. :grin: Looking forward to whatever's next! :thumb:
Saved by grace.

MangaRocks!

Postby ForeverInspired » Thu Dec 19, 2013 5:39 am

MangaRocks! wrote:
ForeverInspired wrote:I'll definitely try to get to that then. I love the other two on the list (Eccentric Family and Kyousougagi) and have liked what I have seen of Bakemonogatari so far. Thanks!

^ You're welcome! :) Just as a tip, though: After you're done with Bake, you should really read the Kizumonogatari novel (not animated yet but necessary to the rest of the plot), and then move on to the anime of Nise (though with a warning that I don't really like certain aspects of Nise all that much, and hesitate to recommend it, however it *is* necessary plot-wise, so... :sweat: ), and then Neko Kuro as well, before watching Second Season. But it's quite worth it. :)

Thanks for the information! I did some research and was wondering - what if I waited for Kizumonogatari to be animated since it seems like Shaft is planning to do the movie really soon and then watch Nise? Also, would the four episodes of Neko Kuro that have been released suffice for the plot in Second Season? It's just that it's hard to find the light novels, and my library doesn't carry them. :/
ForeverInspired

Postby KazeShiki » Thu Dec 19, 2013 6:58 am

ForeverInspired wrote:Thanks for the information! I did some research and was wondering - what if I waited for Kizumonogatari to be animated since it seems like Shaft is planning to do the movie really soon and then watch Nise? Also, would the four episodes of Neko Kuro that have been released suffice for the plot in Second Season? It's just that it's hard to find the light novels, and my library doesn't carry them. :/

lol nope you'll be waiting a long time. It was scheduled for release summer 2012 and then was delayed; no info since other than "please wait a little longer." And when it does come out, there's the ~9 month wait for BD release. So you're looking at a 1.5 year wait at best but probably something closer to 2.5 years. I used to say even season 3 is going to happen before Kizu, but Nisio refuses to stop trolling us with more books.

You won't be lost if you don't read Kizu, per se, but you lose out on character relationship background which leads to misinterpretation and some things will seemingly come out of nowhere, but it's not so important that you will have no clue what's going on. The majority of people watch S2 without Kizu and enjoy it even though it's not a good idea, so meh. As for the LN, you can find it online. Translations don't exist officially, and I'd imagine they never will due to the previous failure of Zaregoto.

In other news, Kyoukai no Kanata manages to be worse than my expectations with that ending, and Arpeggio manages to burn the manga after drowning it in the sea. Impressive week of failure, so I hope Kyousougiga balances this out.
"It was then that I found the darkness in my heart, but I wanted to become a strong person who didn't yield to such weakness." - Nana Mizuki
KazeShiki

Postby ForeverInspired » Thu Dec 19, 2013 3:30 pm

^Thanks for that information - I had no idea about that situation. Also, I ended up finding the visual novel online like you suggested - thanks!

Now, I have to comment on a few of the Fall shows:

First of all, the theme of this season should be "The Boundary"... it seems to be used an awful lot.

Shows that have disappointed me:

1) Kyoukai no Kanata - Believe me, I'm shocked myself. It really seemed to be going somewhere starting around the halfway mark... and then... and then... that ending............ I'm dumbstruck. Why? Why? Why? Someone said that the source material explains it better, but still, it's quite unfortunate and unpleasant. Yes, SPOILER: Highlight text to read: Kyo Ani can't stay dark forever.

2) Galilei Donna - I tried so hard to like this show because of Hiroshi Kamiya. Needless to say, the past three episodes made me realize that the people must have given up... it was just too weird and convenient.

Samurai Flamenco - Now, there's another spin to this whole plot, and I was just getting over the last one. Everyone looks like Power Rangers. Also, I can't accept the fact that Goto gets barely any screen time.
ForeverInspired

Postby MangaRocks! » Fri Dec 20, 2013 11:59 am

Beyond The Boundary episode 12:

Well, I know everyone's been negative about this, and there's certainly good reason for it. However, for as 'eh, whatever' as I think the series ended up being overall in comparison to my original (pre-show-airing) expectations (...well, aside from the very first episode and the end of the first arc, I suppose), I have to say that this was actually a better finale than I'd (now) been expecting it to have. I mean, the Akihito x Mirai stuff was very sweet, and the fighting was downright fantastic; and SPOILER: Highlight text to read: it even *slightly* mitigated my previous complaint about psycho-glasses-dude's motives, since here it was revealed that he actually had a youmu inside of him, and had surrendered his mind and will to it. I mean, don't get me wrong, that character definitely still should've had more development, but at least that made him a slight bit more plausible as a baddie. Now, that said, Akihito's mother (and father, for that matter), and what was up with SPOILER: Highlight text to read: the old Nase-family dude (?) and what happened with Izumi/Hiromi at the end, etc., should definitely have all been fleshed out more, too; but oh well. At least there was SPOILER: Highlight text to read: a nice Akihito x Mirai end (although, somewhat annoyingly, *how* that end was actually even possible honestly made no sense, and wasn't explained at all... :eyebrow: ), so whatever. Point is, at least I ended up enjoying a few parts of this series, so it wasn't a *total* loss-- unlike the next item... :P

...And yes, the 'total loss' I'm referring to is Galilei Donna. :eyeroll: And all I can say about *its* finale is:

Thank goodness *that's* over! :P

...Now, onto the good stuff! :thumb: Samurai Flamenco episode 11:

SPOILER: Highlight text to read: LOL-- so it (apparently) really was aliens after all, Red Axe was secretly fighting them all along, and now this is a full-on Super Sentai show-- complete with a team, theme song, vehicles that combine + transform into a giant robot with a sword, and hilariously corny evil-organization PV's introducing each (even-cornier-named) baddie. :lol: (...Also: Everyone was Red! :lol: ) Oh my gosh, I love this. :grin: I love the fact that I never know where the heck this show is going to go next, I love the fact that this whole thing is like one big good-natured-parody of + love-letter to (apparently multiple genres of :grin: ) hero shows, I love the fact that I just basically relived my childhood during this episode (oh gosh, so many old SPOILER: Highlight text to read: Power Rangers memories... I seriously couldn't stop laughing!)-- I love it all! :jump: Only thing this could do with is more SPOILER: Highlight text to read: Goto, since-- while I do love several others, of course-- he is my most-favorite character of the series, and he kinda got sidelined this ep. :P But this series has taken so many sharp turns already that I have no doubt there'll be at least several more still, and (especially with that funny scene after the credits showing all his phone calls :grin: ) I also have no doubt that Goto will still have a good part to play here. ;)

Nagi no Asukara episode 12:

SPOILER: Highlight text to read: Okay, gained a *little* respect for the father now. I mean, yes, he should've gone about things differently earlier in the series (like, actually *telling* his kids this stuff instead of them having to figure it out later :forehead: ); but at least there's a *little* explanation now. (BTW, the bartender bit there made me smile. :hug: ) Also, I'm curious now about the fact that it seems the hibernation is going to happen whether the kids eat or not; I honestly don't really want a timeskip in this series right now, however I'll grant that it could be pretty interesting if it occurs. Oh, and I'm glad (almost) everyone finally got their feelings out as well (thanks to poor Kaname :sweat: ), and I thought it was also a nice change for Hikari to stop with Chisaki rather than continue following Manaka. Although, of course, now it's Manaka's turn to confess, and I actually have no idea which guy she truly likes ATM, though it looked like she was about to choose Hikari until the 'net of fate' happened again, so...

And Kyousougiga episode 10:
ALL OF MY YES. SPOILER: Highlight text to read: So... much... emotion! :hug: And I loved the final bit of development with Inari, too-- I knew he had been really stressed; however, as it turns out, he was actually a lot more broken than I had thought, even more than Yakushimaru. :pikka: But that only made me love him (and hope for his healing) even more :hug: -- and, of course, *that* made the end even sweeter. :jump: I also loved that it turned out that there were basically three different levels of main characters by the end, all trying to save each other/be saved.

Also, oh my gosh, I'd been wondering about that bunny-head dude that occasionally showed up-- and the reveal that both he *and* the three animals were actually all forms of Inari's dad puts all the previous scenes with them in it in a whole new light (and makes some of them even more amusing-- like that drink thing with Myoue back in the middle of the series, oh my gosh! :lol: ). Also, BWAHAHA at Koto and Myoue's responses to him as they left to go find Inari, as well as when he's whacking Inari with that wheat stalk. :lol: And lastly, going back to the end again, oh man... that was just so blissfully happy-- finally, finally!-- that yeah, I was completely satisfied. :hug:
All in all, I enjoyed this series immensely, and I can think of no better close to my comments than to leave this amazing tribute from one of my top favorite pianists here as a tribute of my own to this fantastic series! :jump:
Saved by grace.

MangaRocks!

Postby Kaori » Sat Dec 21, 2013 6:40 pm

Yowapeda ep. 10: I think Makishima’s climbing style is impossible for a real human being, but his completely inept attempts to make small talk are hilarious, and it was fun seeing the flashback to the third-years as freshmen (that part wasn’t in the manga).
Let others believe in the God who brings men to trial and judges them. I shall cling to the God who resurrects the dead.
-St. Nikolai Velimirovich

MAL
Kaori

Postby GeneD » Sun Dec 22, 2013 9:20 am

Galilei Donna ep. 11: So much wasted potential and this episode made me think that even the creators/writers don't care anymore.

Kyoukai no Kanata ep. 12: Despite being down on this series all along, I actually enjoyed the previous 2 or so episodes. There were still a ton of things wrong with this ep; SPOILER: Highlight text to read: badly defined bad guys, magical Mirai reappearance, the fact that by the last episode the status quo is almost 100% in tact and nothing has actually changed. I mean, Akihito even mentions that all the characters are still all doing the same old same old. I guess I'm saying that, well, it could have been worse.

Samurai Flamenco ep. 11: Despite the fact that there were some literal laugh out loud moments in the ep, this new development is my least favourite so far, although I'm still more than willing to give it the benefit of the doubt. SPOILER: Highlight text to read: I hope we see the Flamenco Girls again. Also, needs more Goto.

Kill la Kill ep. 12: SPOILER: Highlight text to read: Mako for president! I like that Ryuuko and Satsuki are still very much at odds with each other, even though we suspect that Satsuki's mom is the "big bad". Even if Satsuki has a more noble purpose for her actions, I like that no, she's also very ambitious and ruthless and her quest for power is possibly more important that whatever those noble reasons might be.

Kyousougiga ep. 10: SPOILER: Highlight text to read: Well this was every bit Inari's episode and was charming and sweet and I'm glad everything is okay. Koto is really terribly violent and I hope Yakushimaru can help her grow out of that a little, I kind of shudder to think what might have happened if she did end up taking her dad's place. The alternative that they found, basically sharing his job and learning from him was really great to see. I loved the reveal about the monkey/rabbit/frog and how it also feels like this is just one story, or the beginning of the story, of these characters and their world(s). Who knows, maybe we'll get to see more someday.
GeneD

Postby MangaRocks! » Fri Dec 27, 2013 2:31 pm

Golden Time episode 12:

SPOILER: Highlight text to read: I was facepalming through the whole first part of this episode :forehead: ... but whatever. :P ...Moving on: Oh, so apparently Banri's spirit *didn't* get knocked back out again (literally or metaphorically :) )-- it's just that the memories still didn't unlock for him yet. Also, as for that ending: In one sense I was kinda glad that he severed his past ties with Linda, and the reasoning behind it was, on the surface, a good thing; yet, in another sense, it seems like he's kinda running away from things rather than facing them/truly moving forward, so I have a feeling that's somehow going to come back to bite him later... :sweat:

Kill la Kill episode 12:

SPOILER: Highlight text to read: Yikes-- that 'overload' was kinda horrifying, LOL. (Now I get why the NB guys were concerned...) :sweat: LOL again at the Elite, though :lol: , and as for Mako:
GeneD wrote: SPOILER: Highlight text to read: Mako for president!

Indeed! :thumb:

Nagi no Asukara episode 13:

I really loved the ceremony...... SPOILER: Highlight text to read: ...that is, until the sea-god decided to actually go ahead and accept the sacrifice, and then Manaka took Akari's place :pikka: -- both of which I had honestly been expecting for quite a while now, but still... :pikka: And man, poor Kaname-- he had better be okay... :pikka:

And Kyousougiga episode 10.5:

This was a recap, narrated by the seiyuu of Koto and Myoue-- but it was actually quite pleasant to watch (and you know a show is good when you don't even mind a recap at the end of it! :thumb: ). In fact, now this just makes me want to watch the entire series all over again! :) I am totally going to give this show a rewatch soon.

...And now, according to Crunchyroll, all of the continuing (2-cour) Fall shows-- at least the ones I'm watching :) -- are on hiatus until the 9th, so I'll be using the break to catch up on some of my backlog. :thumb:
Saved by grace.

MangaRocks!

Postby blkmage » Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:36 am

Watch Nagi no Asukara, something's going down there.
blkmage

Postby MangaRocks! » Mon Jan 13, 2014 10:57 am

Golden Time episode 13:

Y'know, it's strange-- every time I think this series is a (mostly) decent watch and I'm enjoying it, there's always something that comes up after said enjoyable section that keeps me from liking it as much as I'd hoped. Not to say this is a *bad* show, because IMO it isn't; it's just... what with the multiple really-bizarre/embarrassing-to-even-watch parties at various points, and now SPOILER: Highlight text to read: Banri's spirit (...or whatever :P ) somehow being able to 'curse' him (...or whatever :P ), IDK. :sweat: If that stuff wasn't a part of it, overall I'd like the series much better (because I have mostly enjoyed everything else); as it is, though, I think I'm just kinda coasting this one out...

Samurai Flamenco episode 12:

Still hilarious. :lol: Still have absolutely no idea where it's going. Still loving it. :thumb: SPOILER: Highlight text to read: (Also: From 4 'kings' to 64 'gods,' bwaha! :lol: Betting on there being another twist soon, though... :) )

Kill la Kill episode 13:

SPOILER: Highlight text to read: Bwahaha, that Mako + Mikisugi chat and (the first few scenes with) the 'new guy' (*ahem*) were hilarious. :lol: Also, the bit with Satsuki and her mother was really interesting. Finally: Nice twist with Senketsu there at the end... :pikka:

And Nagi no Asukara episode 14:

Wow. This was a really good episode, IMO. SPOILER: Highlight text to read: First off: That timeskip. :pikka: I mean, I was actually expecting one, but what I was expecting was maybe a year or two at the most-- not five. :pikka: So now the (non-hibernating) older kids are like 19/20 and in college, and the younger ones are about the same age as the older group was before. (Which, of course, now makes things even *more* complicated. :) Speaking of which, I felt really sorry for Miuna's poor classmate there... :sweat: ) Anyway, I thought that both the timeskip itself as well as the flashbacks were all really well-done. And it was interesting to see that things have indeed gotten colder, and that Tsumugu is researching the sea and the associated phenomena. Finally: Good cliffhanger at the end with Hikari...
Saved by grace.

MangaRocks!

Postby MangaRocks! » Fri Jan 17, 2014 5:16 pm

Golden Time episode 14:

No comment this time (basically the same as last week's :P ).

Samurai Flamenco episode 13:

I knew it. SPOILER: Highlight text to read: So the next twist is: Japan is doomed, because in reality there's over 65,000 baddies (...though is it just me, or was that an oddly specific number for Midorikawa to come up with on so little data...?), and they're about to launch a mass invasion. And worse yet, having been informed of this, the politicians forced the secret evacuation of themselves and the heroes first before helping any of the citizens, with the heroes given the pretty awful choice of saving just 5 people each (...wow :pikka: ). And then, worst of all, Kaname (true to form... :P ) skipped out without warning, and left the Flamengers behind to deal with everything on their own. :pikka: After which, poor Hazama did precisely what I expected him to, and I loved him for it. Have to say, though, the moral/social/political dilemmas the characters were facing in this episode were surprisingly tense for the viewer, too.

Also: The next episode is titled "The Destruction Of Japan..." :pikka:

Kill la Kill episode 14:

Oh my gosh I loved this ep.-- it was hilariously awesome. :lol: SPOILER: Highlight text to read: Also, I quite liked the fact that not only did Ryuuko *not* get into a slump over this, but instead she got even more fired up and (pretty much literally, LOL) tore through everyone almost instantly to get the pieces of Senketsu back. :thumb:

And Nagi no Asukara episode 15:

Another really good ep. SPOILER: Highlight text to read: Everyone (including the poor kid himself) having to adjust to Hikari's return was quite well-done here, IMO.
Saved by grace.

MangaRocks!

Postby blkmage » Sat Jan 18, 2014 8:14 am

65536 is 2^16; 64 is 2^6 and 256 is 2^8

Based on how things went down on NagiAsu last week, SPOILER: Highlight text to read: I'm going to guess that Kaname is not going to take things as well as Hikari did.
blkmage

Postby MangaRocks! » Sat Jan 25, 2014 6:05 pm

Golden Time episode 15:

SPOILER: Highlight text to read: Well, spirit-Banri may have 'cursed' his new self :shady: , but at least he didn't want any of them to actually get hurt. Still just coasting through this one now, though.

Samurai Flamenco episode 14:

The first half of this ep. was particularly good, IMO-- Hazama really came into his own here. SPOILER: Highlight text to read: And LOL, now they're paying homage to/parodying those big multiple-sentai-show-crossovers. :grin: Also, loving the fact that they even included the '(twin) brother of the MC as baddie' trope (and it doesn't hurt that he's voiced by one of my favorite seiyuu, either ;) ). :grin: Can't wait to see what's coming next...

Kill la Kill episode 15:

LOL, this ep. was just as great as last week's! :grin: SPOILER: Highlight text to read: Battles were epic, humor was great, there were a couple more cute Mako x Gamagoori moments (LOL ;) :grin: ), etc. :thumb:

And Nagi no Asukara episode 16:

SPOILER: Highlight text to read: LOL, I like how Hikari took having to repeat the class. :grin: Also, that was a very interesting development with Miuna-- being given the ability to swim, and even breathe underwater-- apparently meaning that she was given Ena! :pikka: Finally: LOL, Kaname caring even less than Hikari that he woke up with no clothes on... :grin: Wonder if he will indeed take things harder than Hikari, though, especially considering the poor guy's love interest has, at this point, basically shafted him *twice* (first with the whole Hikari thing and now with her apparently well on the way to ending up with Tsumugu)... :sweat:
Saved by grace.

MangaRocks!

Postby PLCDreamcatcher14 » Thu Jan 30, 2014 11:08 am

Nagi no Asukara Episode 16-

SPOILER: Highlight text to read: I'm finally starting to love Hikari. The way he's handled everything is very impressive! And poor Miuna and her flatulent shoes. XD And she can swim and breathe underwater! And now Kaname is back. I'm not really sure how he's going to handle things. Before he was always pretty laidback and easygoing so he might take this well, but on the other hand, it might harder on him especially when he sees Chisaki all grown up now. Fingers crossed that he takes everything in stride.
'What one does not understand one fears. What one fears, one destroys.' -Native American Indian Proverb
"Man: What surprises you most about mankind? God: That they get bored with childhood, they rush to grow up, and then long to be children again. That they lose their health to make money and then lose their money to restore their health. That by thinking anxiously about the future, they forget the present, such that they live in neither the present nor the future. That they live as though they will never die and die as though they never lived."
"God expects spiritual fruit not religious nuts."

PLCDreamcatcher14

Postby MangaRocks! » Fri Jan 31, 2014 12:59 pm

Golden Time episode 16:

Well, as much as I've been 'meh' about this series lately, I have to admit that this particular ep. was actually quite good (in fact, it was the best one so far, IMO. It's unfortunate that the rest of the series wasn't as good as this...).

Samurai Flamenco episode 15:

SPOILER: Highlight text to read: Ha-- I like the fact that after they purposefully brought in the brother trope at the end of the previous ep., at the beginning of this one they actually then just threw it all right back out the window. :grin: :thumb: (Also, that was actually a pretty interesting chat they had...) And "Mr. Justice" was pretty darn funny. :lol: Bwahaha, though, I should've known that it would all turn out to be a government setup (and that apparently the Prime Minister himself is a super-powered baddie)-- that's like one of the all-time classic tropes. (Plus, it even gave a {partial} explanation of why everything was so TV-show-like/insane during these past two arcs :grin: {...though I'm pretty sure those deaths were still no joke... :pikka: }.) And now, of course, they get to utilize the also-classic MC-has-to-go-on-the-run bit. :thumb: (This series is just too good, LOL! :grin: )

Kill la Kill episode 16:

SPOILER: Highlight text to read: BWAHAHA, that opening segment-- Best. 'Recap.' Ever! :lol: (Now if only all recaps were like that... :grin: ) *Ahem*-- anyway, yikes... that mother of Satsuki's is one serious creep. :pikka: Moving on to the plot: So, (life-fiber) clothes are parasitic aliens, and humans are their food? ...Okay then! :grin: (Actually, it did make sense, I just found that amusing. :grin: ) Gotta say, though, it's pretty impressive how a series as insane as this can actually still have a consistent, coherent, and really quite interesting plot. :thumb: Can't wait to see what's next!

And Nagi no Asukara episode 17:

SPOILER: Highlight text to read: Well, I guess in the end it was to be expected that Kaname would end up being as laid-back and calm (on the surface) as usual, even when having to watch Tsumugu and Chisaki just naturally act like a couple (ouch). (Oh my gosh at his "older women" line though. :sweat: :grin: ) As much as the poor guys are hurting over their original love interests right now, however :sweat: , I gotta admit that at this point I'm really rooting for Miuna and Sayu to eventually win them over. :) Speaking of which: Whoa, that animation when Kaname and Sayu met for the second time. :pikka: I mean, this show has always looked pretty darn beautiful anyway, but wow-- somehow they bumped up their budget to like full-on movie quality for those few seconds. :pikka: :) Other things of note in this ep.: The return of some more interesting discussions on change, a few more weather/current/etc. hints (still quite curious as to what exactly is going on with the big foretold disaster and the gradual waking of the kids so {apparently} early...), and the start of the exploration of the village (and the mysterious sound), now that they found a way in (which I'm quite looking forward to seeing the rest of next week :thumb: ).
Saved by grace.

MangaRocks!

Postby blkmage » Sat Feb 01, 2014 4:16 pm

My feeling has been that based on Hikari, SPOILER: Highlight text to read: Kaname would have a much harder time adjusting to how things have changed, even if he doesn't show it yet. Hikari has, at first blush, been much more brash and reactive, but this also lets him get things out and he ends up being more flexible. You can already see that he's pretty much good to go after about an episode of having returned. Kaname is a lot more careful and thoughtful, which means internally, he's processing everything but he's not letting anything show because he's a lot more socially perceptive than Hikari and he doesn't want to trouble anyone. I'd be willing to bet that he'll be the source of a big dramabomb soon.
blkmage

Postby MangaRocks! » Sat Feb 01, 2014 6:56 pm

^ You're probably right. :)
Saved by grace.

MangaRocks!

Postby KazeShiki » Fri Feb 07, 2014 4:32 am

I was expecting this KLK development to happen like 10-12 episodes ago. Such terrible pacing. Now I'm just hoping for Yukarin to just destroy everyone.
KazeShiki

Postby MangaRocks! » Fri Feb 07, 2014 10:44 am

Golden Time episode 17:

...Interesting. I had basically given up on this show a little while ago and was 'just coasting through it,' as I said; but then, to my surprise, both last week's and this week's episodes suddenly got really good... :pikka:

Samurai Flamenco episode 16:

Man, was this episode great! SPOILER: Highlight text to read: (...Well, minus Mari & Moe making out, I mean, LOL. :P ) Seriously, though, the atmosphere of this ep. was excellent. And that bit with the homeless dude at the end-- while quite predictable, of course, it ended up being executed so well that it was actually rather moving. :hug: And now the original duo is back together, as well. :) Can't wait for the next episode! :thumb:

Kill la Kill episode 17:

Wow. Excellent episode, IMO. SPOILER: Highlight text to read: Comments of note: ROTFL at that discussion between Mako's family and Gamagoori :lol: ; and while of course everyone (including myself :) ) predicted long ago that Satsuki was going to rebel against her crazy mother, it was still a bit surprising just how brutal that was. :pikka:

And Nagi no Asukara episode 18:

SPOILER: Highlight text to read: I really liked the slightly eerie atmosphere with everyone basically frozen in time. And the scene where Hikari was talking to his dad was rather touching. Also, Miuna and Uroko's conversation was quite interesting. And then that whole ending... Yikes, that 'graveyard' was pretty creepy. :pikka: And I was a bit surprised that they found/'rescued' Manaka so soon, too. Speaking of Uroko, though, what he said at the end there + what appears to be the transfer of Ena from Manaka to Miuna + the sea-god's apparent anger + Uroko's sad look... well, let's just say that all has me rather concerned... :pikka:

...Guess this was just an all-around great week for the Fall carryovers (IMO)! :thumb:
Saved by grace.

MangaRocks!

Postby MangaRocks! » Fri Feb 14, 2014 12:00 pm

Golden Time episode 18:

Eh, this ep. was okay. The reunion was pretty amusing, at least. :P

Samurai Flamenco episode 17:

SPOILER: Highlight text to read: "Samurai Policeman," ROTFL!! :lol: (And then them thinking he's just a cosplayer, bwahaha!) And I loved the big cheesy fight, too, of course ("PRIME MINISTER COMBINE!!!" :lol: ), as well as the classic "turns out the baddie was only doing all of this to be able to defeat the REAL baddie" and "every world leader is a doppelgänger" 'twists.' :grin:

Kill la Kill episode 18:

SPOILER: Highlight text to read: Ha! Wow, did I call it, or did I call it? :thumb: Great ep.!

And Nagi no Asukara episode 19:

SPOILER: Highlight text to read: Ah, so Kaname's nastiness finally got let out a bit. And man, so Chisaki does still like Hikari after all (poor Kaname *and* Tsumugu, now :sweat: ). Good grief, the love polygon here... this is really heading for a trainwreck of feels, LOL :sweat: (though I don't really mean that in a bad way :) -- well, as long as it all finally does get worked out, that is).

All that aside, that was an interesting continuation of the original sea-god story... and, while it certainly makes sense (given the apparent transfer of Ena from Manaka to Miuna), I have a sneaking suspicion that the 'something' taken in return for her freedom wasn't *just* Ena, though... :pikka: Anyway, I loved Hikari's decision to find the sea-god and have a talk with him, LOL (which should be pretty interesting, if it happens). Still wondering about Uroko's sad look and the whole weather thing, though...
Saved by grace.

MangaRocks!

Previous Next

Return to Anime and Anime Reviews