A New Dawn

This is where all in character roleplaying occurs. Please note that posts in this forum do not count toward your post count, and that old threads are subject to periodic prunination!

Re: A New Dawn

Postby ClaecElric4God » Sun Sep 22, 2013 1:20 pm

Shaddoc kept running. One minute he was certain he was gaining on Jadis, but the next it would seem like the distance between them was further. Shaddoc almost lost track of him a few times, but eventually Jadis led him to the North Tower, where he quickly entered and slammed the door behind him. In a few paces Shaddoc was at the door. Just before his hand reached the handle, he heard Jadis yelling,
"Gamaliel! Lord Gamaliel, we have a situation!"
Shaddoc sneered maniacally.
You bet there's a situation, he thought angrily. He was going to beat some sense into that idiot. As he wrenched the door open, Shaddoc felt his fighting spirit boiling to the surface. He was ready for anything.
ClaecElric4God

Location: By the time you read this, I'll probably be somewhere else...

Postby Oddood198 » Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:43 pm

Arren kept running and cutting through the shadows, focusing only on advancing forward as quickly as possible, but he stopped when all the shadows retreated into a wide circle around him and Ethinine. He looked left and right, waiting to see what would be unleashed on them next.
And then, into the circle walked the Bearer of Black Wings.
Arren glared at Azarael as he greeted him, waiting until he had finished before replying. "Reveka won't come. She's safe with Callysta and the Grand Sage in the mountains by now, you can't touch her." He raised his sword, readying himself to fight again, "And if you try, I'll cut down you and every other being of darkness that has cursed the world with its existence."
Oddood198

Postby Wolfsong » Tue Sep 24, 2013 4:06 pm

Shadow Jadis glanced back, realizing just how close his pursuers were. Gamaliel didn;t seem that bothered, while Mardos cowered in a corner. As thought that would save him.
Gamaliel noticed Jadis eying the stairs and smiled. "Apprehensive, Jadis?"
"You're not the one going to have to fight with a girl slung over his shoulder."
"You're not staying here, you're going out the window."
"WHAT?!" Jadis turned to face Gamaliel, surprise etched in his face. "But you-"
"Will keep them busy for as long as it takes. The Bearer of Black Wings needs the White Wings, and we must bring her to him." Gamaliel held out his hand, drawing a group of shadows from the room. one changed till it seemed like Jadis. "We will hold them here long enough for you to get her away safely."
"And if you die?"
"Die?" he smiled. "When the Darkness blooms and consumes this world, those of us who 'died' will live again. Go, Jadis, that our world of Darkness may be made."
Jadis glanced at the stairs again, then whirled and dove out the only window in the tower. It was then Gamaliel noticed some of the shadows eying Mardos and almost begging. His smile was a twisted thing. "Yes, the fresh blood shall strengthen you, and I have no further need of him. Gorge yourselves, while I welcome our guests."
The screams began as Shaddoc burst into the room, but they died quickly, perhaps a mercy. "So you're the one who harried Jadis all the way here?" Gamaliel said in some surprise. "You're hardly a man yet." and then Nigal came up behind him. "Ah, and the leader of the Band himself. I'm pleased to welcome you..." he crossed his arms and a dark energy pulsed from him. "...to your final destination."

Azarael smiled softly. "Do you really believe that?" he raised his hand, and an image appeared in his hands of a man running through the forest towards the shadows. The features were indistinguishable, but the girl slung over his shoulder was as clear as anything. Reveka. "Yes, they made it to the mountain, but they left it. It wouldn't have mattered, but it was amusing to watch Neoman lead them right to my servant. Even your Grand Sage hasn't seen what I have wrought. The last kingdom is falling, just as the last of the king's line has. All that remains is for the Bearer of White Wings to surrender, and the Hands of Light to stand down."
Ethinine stiffened as a hand...a claw rested on his shoulder. "Lord Azarael, should I take them to the Citadel?"
Azarael nodded. "But not directly to the Hear. Leave them in the room we used to hold Jadis." He paused, then added, "Send someone to pick up that troublemaker too. We;'re so close to ready, its best to keep them together. We can't let them slip through our fingers again."

jadis glanced at Angeline. "He said Hands. In the plural. there's more than one?"
"Your father thought it best," she said, speaking for the first time in his hearing. "To try and minimize what Azarael could do, as all the power of the Hand and the Wings must be together. Azarael didn't realize until he tried to change you, and your very being separated in protest."
Jadis rubbed the back of his head. "Am I the only one severely confused by all this? My- King Lyorn did something, Priestess Emagene did something more, and now what? Who is, or are, the Hand or Hands of Light? Are the Wings just as confusing now>? What is the answer?"
"Time to go back," Brander said suddenly, his voice husky. Before Jadis could protest the twins had him by the shoulders and they were moving again, returning to the Citadel.

Neoman studied the door thoughtfully, then sighed in resignation. he turned to the wall, drew on his power, and blasted it. He climbed carefully through the hole, absently wondering how hard it would be to fix it. Worried as he was for Jadis, he was certain that both Nigal and Shaddoc were after him. No, what worried him was the traces of shadows he could see lining the halls.
He ran down the hall, entering the girl's room. Reveka was gone, and Callysta lay stiff like the dead. He cried out and rushed to her side, falling to his knees and grabbing her hands. "Callysta! Light's mercy, don't let them take you too!" and he delved into her mind, diving into her dream...
Wolfsong

Postby ClaecElric4God » Tue Sep 24, 2013 4:34 pm

Shaddoc froze when he entered the room, taking in the situation. There was Gamaliel, the shadow they'd fought earlier, as well as a group of shadows apparently under his command. Shaddoc sighed when he saw Jadis, relieved he'd managed to catch up to him. But on closer scrutiny, he realized the shadow didn't have Reveka with him. In fact, the girl was nowhere to be seen. Would Jadis really have gone to so much trouble to kidnap her, then abandon her? And his appearance was different, like it had been when he'd attacked Nigal. Shaddoc wasn't sure what to think, but he was afraid to assume this was a replica and make the same mistake again.
"Hardly a man, eh?" Shaddoc sneered, looking at Gamaliel hatefully, a raging fire burning in his eyes. "Well, that'll make it that much more disgraceful when I destroy you."
Shaddoc pulled out his dagger, shifting back and forth on his feet, preparing to attack.
"Now tell me," he said in a low voice, twirling the knife in his hand. "What have you done to Jadis?" Whether he was talking about the shadow in the corner of his eye, or a completely different person, Shaddoc didn't care. He was going to get his answer out of Gamaliel, one way or the other, and if this wasn't the real Jadis, he'd find him and do whatever he had to to get him back to normal. His brain didn't even register Nigal entering the room. All he could think about was how badly he wanted to tear something apart.
ClaecElric4God

Postby Oddood198 » Tue Sep 24, 2013 6:44 pm

Arren had his sword raised and was ready to dash forward, attacking the Bearer of the Black Wings with all of his might... when the image appeared in front of him, and he stopped cold. It took him no more than a second to recognize Reveka, even if it wasn't clear, to him, it couldn't be more obvious that that was his sister slung over a shadow and being stolen.
A clang rang out as he dropped his sword and it hit the floor, and then he fell to his knees, hanging his head. There was nothing he could do anymore, they already had Reveka, and he couldn't help her.
A claw of some sort came down to rest on his shoulder, and Azarael ordered they be taken away and imprisoned, and Arren did not stir.
Oddood198

Postby Wolfsong » Fri Sep 27, 2013 4:52 pm

Gamaleil smiled. "Hear the arrogance of the child. But perhaps the flash of spirit is preferable to those who crawl. Very well boy, you will have the truth."
He tapped the shadow, which dissolved into nothingness. "That shadow of him has left, bringing the Bearer of White Wings to the Hand of Darkness, that this war of Light and Dark may end. His Light..." He smiled. "Is in Lord Azarael's hands, also waiting for her. After all, it is a guardian's duty to be there for they whom he must protect. His case will be interesting, however, as he never fully opened into his power."
Nigal stepped around Shaddoc, eyes narrowed. "I think I begin to understand," he said. "Jadis is the hand of of Light, isn't he?"
"One of them. Lyorn Firesoul was a clever man. I'll give him that. Half the power of the Hand to his son, the rest to Emagene. It was a clever twist, but it failed to hide him forever."
Nigal was quiet. "Who carries the rest of the power now?"
"What does it matter? It will end soon. Its a time to rejoice, gentlemen. The war is finally almost over." There was a loud, piercing, high-pitched shriek that echoed from without the tower to within. Gamaliel looked out the window and smiled. "And so falls the lost kingdom of the Light," he said.
A dark line, black as the darkest night, was coming quickly toward the kingdom. The shadows were coming in force for one last battle. Gamaliel turned back to Shaddoc and Nigal, eyes glowing. "It is finished," he said. "The Dark has won. There is nothing more the Light can do." He gestured, andt he shadows surged forward toward Nigal and Shaddoc.

Ethinine stared when Arren collapsed. "Arren? Arren! Are you alright!"
Azarael watched. His face almost seemed sympathetic. "Take them up," he said. "What word on the other three?"
Mastendon smiled slightly. "Nothing yet, but the scent of blood is in the air."
Azarael nodded. His wings flared out, catching at the wind. Azarael's face turned towards the south, his eyes filled with a wild elation. "Time," he said, his voice triumphant. "My time has come!" he suddenly leapt up, vanishing into the shadows.
Mastedon wasted no time. The shadows took hold of Ethinikne and Arren and began to move. They flowered more like, moving at a speed a cheetah would sigh over. Ethinine remembered he had been carried like this before, only now he was fully aware of how they moved. But he was worried about Arren. He'd never seen him so wretched.
He could just see the towering walls surrounding the Citadel through the shadows holding him. They crossed over them, waited as Mastedon opened a path and stood upon the rising platform. Within short order they were left in a small, solid room surrounded by the bleak Darkness. It was occurpied already, but at least it was a relatively familiar face.
"Oh, its you," Ethinine said.
Jadis leapt to his feet. "They brought you here?" he said surprised. "Well, at least we'll suffer together then. What happened to Arren?"
"Azarael...a shadow's bringing Reveka here. Arren..."
"What?" Jadis glanced up slightly, eyes unfocusing. He nodded slowly. "I...see. Is the blackbird still strutting outside?"
Ethinine looked at him strangely, saying, "No...I got the impression he flew to meet them. he said something about his time coming."
Jadis nodded. "And Reveka's too, if we don't do something." He looked at Arren's dejected face and said, "Snap out of it, Arren! If you wanna rescue your little sister, you'll need to work with us to figure something out. Get out of your pity party or we're all doomed."
Wolfsong

Postby Oddood198 » Fri Sep 27, 2013 5:05 pm

The darkness took hold of Arren and Ethinine, it carried them, taking them away and finally closing them in a cell. Jadis was there, Arren had wondered what had happened to him, and now he knew.
Arren looked up slightly as Jadis started talking to him, telling him to snap out of it and end his pity party.
"Oh, back off!" He said, getting back up to his feet. His eyes were sharp as ever and he looked perfectly determined and mightily angered. "Who's having a pity party? You really think I'd pick now after all we've been through, to start moping around? Please! What was I supposed to do, try and fight Azarael right there?"
He walked to the bars, grabbing them and pulling on them, but they were too sturdy to move. "Anyway, you've been in here longer than us, have you found a way out yet? We're doomed anyway, if we can't get out of here."
Oddood198

Postby ClaecElric4God » Sun Sep 29, 2013 5:27 am

Shaddoc dodged to the side as a shadow surged toward him, only to find himself in the clutches of another one. He struggled madly, his focus on Gamaliel, who he wanted to rip to shreds. However, the shadows became increasingly hard to ignore, as they all attacked at once. He was suddenly aware of Nigal fighting at his side, and instantly adapted to a fighting style that complemented Nigal's. Shaddoc tried to fight for both of them, aware of Nigal's injuries. But the older man seemed to be holding his own, giving Shaddoc the confidence to follow through with his own plan.
They cut down a fair number of the shadows, fighting like mad. Shaddoc turned to look at Gamaliel, who was standing there, watching. Shaddoc's eyes hardened in fury, and he made quick work of a shadow to his left. With it's disappearance, Shaddoc turned to Nigal.
"Give me an opening," he said quietly. And without waiting for a response, he forced his own way through the shadows, right toward Gamaliel. Without a moment's hesitation, he used the momentum of his sprint to drive his dagger into Gamaliel's chest.
"So there's nothing more the Light can do, huh?" He inquired, his eyes wild. "Good thing I'm not Light. You should have focused on all of your opposition."

OOC: Hm, that felt kind of rushed and cheesy. Do what you want with it, Wolf.
ClaecElric4God

Postby Wolfsong » Sun Sep 29, 2013 1:21 pm

OOC- um.....I'm still not entirely sure what to make of Shaddoc's comment, but the post is fine Claec. :)

Reveka's mind was filled with confusing images, thoughts and dreams. No, not dreams. Memories. They were the memories of the Wings. She remembered the creation, and the battles fought since, the souls who served, the blood that was shed, she saw and knew them all. She knew all those who carried the Wings, the guardian Hands who protected them, Light and Dark. She knew now how Azarael knew her so well, and knew him nearly as well.
She also knew he was coming.
"Azarael. My brother by the Wings."
"Reveka. I see you've been reviewing your memories. And I see you aren't afraid to call me brother."
She could almost see him smirking.
"We are connected by the Wings. Our blood is different, but the gift we share binds us like blood. Why deny what is?"
She heard him laugh. "You are wiser than your mother then. perhaps you could convince Arren."
"Arren? He has no reason to trust you, and, really, why should I? You intend us harm."
"You know what happens depends on you, little sister."
"Wrong. We are beings strong in the Light. To be torn from it by either choice will hurt us greatly. And I intend to remain of the Light."
"We'll see how you feel when you see your blood brother."
"Arren? He's here?"

"Lord Azarael!"
She opened her eyes and raised her head. Jadis, his shadow counterpart, placed her on her feet, his head raised and staring into the sky. Rebeka couldn't see what he saw, but she could sense him. After a moment's wait, she saw him. She was astonished, for even the dream had been nothing compared to the power she sensed in him now. "He is strong because the Darkness has almost covered the world," she realized with a cold certainty.
He descended, landing regally before them. Jadis bowed slightly, but Reveka remained straight. Azarael smiled as he walked toward them. "And finally, we are truly face to face," he said.
"Finally," she said with no enthusiasm. "I thought you said I had a month?"
"Plans change. Besides, I doubted you would wish to remain, for the shadows have begun their attack. The Kingdom will not last the hour." He smiled triumphantly. "And I will have won."
Reveka was quiet, soaking that in. The Kingdom was under attack. "But the Grand Sage is there," she told herself. "And his friend Nigal. I know they'll keep the Kingdom safe." She straightened her shoulders. "They do what they must. Just as I must do what I must do."
"Are you ready to go, Reveka?" Azarael asked, offering her a hand.
Reveka smiled at him and summoned her own Wings. Jadis jerked away with a startled curse. Azarael held his ground, but she noted a tightening around his eyes. "Yes, I am now," she replied, smiling brightly.
He nodded and withdrew his hand, leaping into the sky. "Don't brother trying to flee," he warned. "There's nowhere for you to go."
"I want to see my brother," she replied simply, following him into the Darkness. Jadis followed them, moving quickly through the shadows.

Jadis grinned at Arren. "You don't want me to answer that. Trust me." He considered Arren's question, then laughed bitterly. "Well sure, the door's wide open. All you need to worry about are the shadows at the door, and accidentally falling into the realm of the Heart. No big deal." He glanced out the door, remembering.
"Then...there's no hope?" Ethinine asked with a sinking heart.
"heck yes there's hope!" Jadis said. He turned to look at Arren, considering. "Your sister can glow, as I recall. Can you do anything like that?"

Gamaliel breathed in sharply, then smiled slowly.
"Perhaps it would be better for you if you were Light," he said softly. He suddenly glided forward, passing through Shaddoc and the sword, leaving a cold, chilly feeling behind. There was blood on his chest, but the wound was rapidly closing. "Didn't they tell you? Normal weapons cannot harm us, who are of the Dark."
He turned, slashing with his hand at Shaddoc's back, leaving a long bloody line.
Nigal quickly ran over, pushing Gamaliel aside and grabbing Shaddoc's shoulder. "Unfortunately, he's right," he said. "Now I wish we had Neoman...any ideas?"
Wolfsong

Postby Oddood198 » Sun Sep 29, 2013 1:28 pm

Arren thought for a second, the shook his head, "No, I can't quite glow, but I can do this." He said. He closed his eyes and took a deep breath inward, and then slowly released it out. As the air left him, he did begin to glow, but after a short moment all the glowing across his body moved to his shoulder blades and gathered there. The two spots of light shone brighter and grew, slowly moving outward and forming a golden pair of wings, slightly transparent, but a magnificent sight nonetheless.
"This is all I've got, is it helpful?" He asked Jadis, lowering his wings and slightly curling them around himself.
Oddood198

Postby Wolfsong » Sun Sep 29, 2013 1:40 pm

Jadis stared a long moment, then nodded slowly. "Yes...yes that could work just as well." He glanced outside, then shrugged. "Next question: anyone have a weapon in here besides fists?"
Wolfsong

Postby Koneko-chan » Sun Sep 29, 2013 2:42 pm

Callysta opened her eyes, blinking. There were shadows everywhere. Holding her breath, she formed a lance out of shadows. Menacing dark shadows racing out, 'Where am I?!' she deflected them left and right, thoughts as fast as her enemies. One managed to knock her down, Callysta gritted her teeth as she forced it back. She got up, backing into a corner. Eyes darting around, the shadows closed in closer. Her shadow lance disappeared, and she focused her energy on making a whirling ball of shadows. Squeezing her eyes tight, she opened her grip and it burst through most of the shadows. Once she opened them again, in the corner of her eye, Neoman stood there. Callysta gave a weary smile "Neoman."
OOC: Thank you so much, Wolfie! :D Sorry for being so absent.
"I believe...I want to live my life, carrying my memories with me. Even if those memories are painful, even if those memories do nothing but hurt me...Even those memories I wish I could forget...As long as I keep carrying them with me and don't run away from them. Someday...Someday, I believe I will get to the point where I'm not oppressed by those memories. That's what I want to believe. I'd like to think that there's not a single memory that I have which would be okay to forget." -Momiji Sohma - Fruits Basket

You are forgiven. Always and completely forgiven. - The 11th Doctor
No matter how small the problem is, how small the thing is, it will always effect the people around you. - Yuko Ichihara - XXXHolic
Total Grell fangirl. :3 <3
Koneko-chan

Postby Wolfsong » Sun Sep 29, 2013 2:54 pm

OOC- perfectly alright, Koneko. In all honesty, I'm just glad you're still here with us. I love having you here.

Neoman smiled gently at her. "Callysta, you're alright," he said, putting his arms around her, gently hugging her. "I was worried when you didn't wake." He glanced around, then said, "It appears to be that your dream is positioned in the Kingdom. I wonder if that means anything." he shook his head. "Come, let us see if we can find anyone or anything else in this place."
Wolfsong

Postby Oddood198 » Sun Sep 29, 2013 3:05 pm

Arren shook his head, "No, I dropped my sword back there. That was my only weapon." He looked at Jadis and Ethinine, and didn't see any weapons on them. "Well... My wings are light. That's good for something, right?" He asked, trying to seem somewhat hopeful.
Oddood198

Postby Koneko-chan » Sun Sep 29, 2013 3:22 pm

Callysta nodded, looking around. "Where should we start?" She inquired softly. Then she jumped at the realization "Is Reveka okay?" with a worried look in her eyes. She sighed with another smile, a wistful one "we'll find out I suppose."She began walking, studying her surroundings.
"I believe...I want to live my life, carrying my memories with me. Even if those memories are painful, even if those memories do nothing but hurt me...Even those memories I wish I could forget...As long as I keep carrying them with me and don't run away from them. Someday...Someday, I believe I will get to the point where I'm not oppressed by those memories. That's what I want to believe. I'd like to think that there's not a single memory that I have which would be okay to forget." -Momiji Sohma - Fruits Basket

No matter how small the problem is, how small the thing is, it will always effect the people around you. - Yuko Ichihara - XXXHolic
Koneko-chan

Postby Wolfsong » Sun Sep 29, 2013 3:32 pm

Neoman frowned. "Reveka was not in bed when I came in," he said. "I only hope...but we must focus first on finding a way out." He gestured to her. "Come, perhaps the best vantage point is the one highest. Let us see what is to be seen from the North Tower."

Jadis nodded. "Yes. The Light from them may be our best defense."
"I've still my magic, I think," Ethinine said. "But Jadis, aren't those your swords?"
Jadis glanced at the blades strapped onto his back and grimaced. "I won't use them," he spat angrily. "Azarael turned them. They're cursed in Darkness now." Ethinine gasped. Before he could form an apology, Jadis shook his head. "Not important. We'll find something." He glanced out the door again. "But is it enough to face what's out there..."
Wolfsong

Postby Koneko-chan » Mon Sep 30, 2013 1:21 am

Callysta agreed "Okay," Neoman and Callysta began their walk to the North Tower, turning her head to look at Neoman; she spoke "So.. How can the Darkness be stopped? I mean, everything has their weaknesses."

Koneko-chan

Postby Wolfsong » Tue Oct 01, 2013 5:44 pm

"Its weakness?" Neoman turned and smiled at her. "Callysta, you wield shadows as your skill. Tell me, what limits you, when you wield darkness? What chases away the shadows of night? Dear child, the light and only the Light can stop this great evil." He was silent, staring into the distance. "Reveka now carries the Wings, I could feel their presence in her. But not the Hand of Light, no, that is another's gift. They are our hope now, it is up to them to save us, but...we are at least not helpless." He smiled at Callysta. "The Dark is strong because most of the world is covered in it. We must fight back and increase the power of the Light. I think this...this is where your power will be important, for you can sens shadows, and know the strong and the weak. Tell me...can you sense the shadow causing this?" He asked her intently.
Wolfsong

Postby Koneko-chan » Tue Oct 01, 2013 6:45 pm

She listened intently. Callysta smiled back at Neoman "Oh, how ridiculous of me, of course, Light." she nodded as her smile faltered a bit. "Yes." She closed her eyes and focused. Her eyebrows furrowed in worry. Callysta's eyes snapped open and looked at Neoman "I think it's.. Gamaliel." she breathed, she feels like she should know the name.

Koneko-chan

Postby ClaecElric4God » Wed Oct 02, 2013 2:27 pm

"Curses!" Shaddoc spat under his breath when he realized the mistake he'd made. But before he could recover from the icy feeling, he felt a searing pain in his back as something tore across it. He turned to face Gamaliel as he clutched his chest, fighting off the pain. Nigal's hand clamped down on Shaddoc's shoulder, reminding him of his responsibility to keep Nigal safe and stay by his side. He realized that was the first time he'd ever taken the lead, asking someone else to cover him. He laughed sardonically, realizing which position he was better suited for.
"I don't know, Nigal," he replied, breathing heavily. He could already feel the blood soaking his shirt. "You just saw my only idea." Then his eyes lit with a new determination.
"But we can't die here. It's not an option. Someone's got to get that good-for-nothing Jadis out of the shadows and back here with us. I won't stop breathing till I've thoroughly chewed that guy out for causing us so much trouble."
Shaddoc turned back to Gamaliel, who'd been so good as to wait for them.
"Normal weapons can't hurt you?" He asked skeptically, looking down at the blood on his dagger. "I dunno, you looked pretty hurt to me. And why did you disperse that first time we attacked you in the cave? Because you were bored? What's so special about shadows, anyway?"
Shaddoc knew he was gambling with his life, but he had to stall long enough for Neoman to come. As much as he wanted to be the hero, he knew Gamaliel was right, and right now their only hope was the Grand Sage. He could kick himself for running into this so blindly. As hot-headed as he got in a fight, he was never this rash and uncalculating. But deep down, he knew he'd let his emotions run away with him, worrying about Jadis.
ClaecElric4God

Postby Wolfsong » Sat Oct 05, 2013 3:08 pm

Gamaliel let Nigal reach the boy while he attempted to do something about the bleeding hole in his chest. Shadow fell like blood, pooling on the floor. As before, when he had fought Jadis, the children, and this boy in the cave, he felt a numbing panic descend on him, except much stronger here. Here he was in the realm of Light. He would not disperse and return to the Citadel to be remade. He would actually die here, possibly, if he could not return his shadow to his body.
He straightened when the boy with spirit began taunting him. he reached out a hand to the pooled shadow, summoning it back to him. It returned through the hole, making a sort of scab, but it was a flimsy thing, liable to break without a fight. However, he turned back to Nigal and the teen, smirking.
"You forget, your friend Jadis' weapons were blessed by Light," he reminded him, downplaying the pain actually experienced. No, he was not immune to pain. This form lacked so much. but when the Darkness finally took over... "The worst your attacks can do is slow me down."
He realized that all the monstrous shadows had been removed. He chuckled. "You prove stronger than I expected. I see it will take more than these miserable creatures."
Nigal stepped forwad, sword raised threateningly. Gamaliel laughed. "You will not be able to protect your pupil, my good Nigal. Come and enter my dream."
Darkness suddenly descended upon them. Nigal and Shaddoc were pulled away from each other, cast into opposite sides of the city. Gamaliel smiled maliciously. He was weaker here in the false world, but in the shadows his body would heal. Nigal and the boy would most likely attempt to find each other before coming after him again. "And if they don't," he said with a smile. "At least one of them will die before reaching here."

Nigal cut down the shadow coming up alongside him and shoved the pile of boxes, sending them crashing atop the monsters and giving him a chance to run. he stumbled as he went, his hand clutching his side. A shadow had sunk its claws into his side, opening new wounds as well as reopening the old, and he was losing a lot of blood. "But I'm sure that was the idea," he thought wryly. "Shaddoc....get Gamaliel to release the Dark dream. That's the only way..."
He heard the shadows behind him. He kicked another stack of boxes and fled the alleys, headed for the main streets.

"Gamaliel?" Neoman turned to give Callysta a concerned look. "Wasn't that the name of the man you told me you had fought in the Darkness?"
The North Tower rose before them. Neoman was quiet, staring at its height. "I can feel his presence now. He is strong indeed." His hand rested on the doorknob. "Are you ready, Callysta?"

The Citadel was soon in view. As they neared it, Reveka felt a great dread descend upon her. This was the home of Darkness itself. She was facing evil itself in its own home.
"Nervous?" Azarael asked.
"Worried, more like," was her reply. "Is Arren here?"
"Yes, but forgive me if I do not take you directly to him. We are both the Wings, coming together after years of serparation. There are...ceremonies...to perform."
Reveka nodded, putting up a mental sheild over a small piece of her thoughts. "Arren," she called out. "Arren, can you hear me?"
Wolfsong

Postby Koneko-chan » Sat Oct 05, 2013 4:35 pm

"That's right.." she murmured, thinking. Neoman's voice snapped her out of her thoughts.
"He is strong indeed."
She looked up to glance at Neoman. "What is he?" She giggled halfheartedly "As ready as I'll ever be." Taking a shaky breath, Callysta watched him put his hand on the doorknob, anticipation making her heart rise in her throat.

Koneko-chan

Postby Wolfsong » Mon Oct 07, 2013 3:01 pm

"He is what a man becomes when he sells his soul to the Darkness. Though they retain human form, they are twisted creatures that cannot truly be called human."
He smiled at her, then opened the door. Inside it was dark as a tomb. Neoman held out his hand, creating a light bright enough for them to see. The room was empty, devoid of any life. Quietly, he entered and started up the stairs.
Wolfsong

Postby Oddood198 » Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:48 pm

Arren chuckled mirthlessly, with a wry grin on his face. "Is it enough? We're in the home of the Darkness, surrounded by shadows and demons of all kinds. We're going to have to fight our way through, take on the Hand of Darkness and all his lackeys, somehow defeat the Darkness and save the world. And all we have is a torch's worth of light from my wings, Ethinine's magic, and a pair of swords that can't be used. Of course it isn't enough." He looked at Jadis and Ethinine, his grin growing wider, "But, we're just going to have to make do, aren't we?"
Oddood198

Postby ClaecElric4God » Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:39 pm

Shaddoc staggered, puzzled. Where was he? A moment ago, he'd been in the North Tower, facing off with Gamaliel. Now he was standing in the middle of the street, facing off with a brick wall. Shaddoc turned, gathering his wits. The air was different, and he couldn't quite put his finger on what about it was off, but this was definitely the town he knew. The North Tower couldn't be far from here. When he finally realized exactly where he was, Shaddoc turned toward where he knew the North Tower to be. Sure enough, there it loomed above the city.
Shaddoc took a step in that direction, then froze as he noticed a flash of movement out of the corner of his eye. Shaddoc whipped around to face it, but there was nothing there. Instantly on his guard, Shaddoc cast a sweeping glance around him. But it was at that instant that a heavy weight fell on his shoulders. Before he had time to react, claws were penetrating his shirt, digging into his shoulders. Shaddoc shouted in surprise, lurching backwards and smashing into the wall. The shadow screamed, but only dug in deeper. Shaddoc reached behind his head with his right hand and grabbed the first thing it came in contact with, presumably the shadow's own shoulder. He knew if he didn't act fast, the shadow would take advantage of his vulnerable position.
His dagger in his left hand, Shaddoc drove it into the shadow behind him. It screamed again, instantly releasing him to instead grapple at his hand. Shaddoc let go of the dagger, instead grabbing the shadow's other shoulder. Shaddoc leaned forward, wrenching the creature off of his back. It landed with a thud, snarling at Shaddoc and instantly lunging toward him again. But this time he was ready, and Shaddoc deftly sidestepped, kicking the shadow as it leapt past him. The creature went skidding across the street, giving Shaddoc enough time to quickly draw his bow and notch an arrow. He let it fly, nailing the shadow in the heart. It disintegrated, and Shaddoc cautiously slunk toward the spot, keeping his eyes open for another unexpected attack. He placed a hand on one shoulder, a hissing sound passing through his teeth as the pain caused him to inhale sharply. When he pulled his hand away, it was streaked with blood. The wounds weren't deep enough to warrant immediate attention, but that didn't make the pain any less real. The wound on his back was taking its toll as well, and it was all he could do to keep his mind off of it.
He reached down slowly and picked up his dagger. He hesitated a moment, then slung his bow over his shoulder, realizing that with the close spaces and dark corners in town, he'd be better off depending on his dagger. In the open, where he could spot his opponent from a distance, it was a different story, and Shaddoc's hawk-like eyes could pick out a target and take it down before it had a chance. But here the risk of being ambushed was too high, and his bow did him almost no good in close range combat.
Just as he thought that, he spotted a shadow farther down the road. Shaddoc smirked, thinking about how easily it would be to hit, and irritated that he'd just stored his bow. Shaddoc moved to put his dagger in it's sheath, but then noticed something off about the creature. It was standing in the middle of the street, staring straight at him, but making no move to come closer.
Shaddoc breathed in sharply as he realized what was going on, and jumped backwards, staggering as he backpedaled, trying to regain his balance. Right where he'd been a second before crouched a shadow with the longest, most gnarly claws he'd ever seen. It hissed angrily at him as it realized the ambush had failed. Shaddoc noticed out of the corner of his eye that the decoy shadow was approaching now. Shaddoc took another step back, to find himself backed against a wall, effectively cut off by the shadow on one side and a vendor's cart on the other.
Never taking his eyes off his opponent, he cast about with his free hand for something nearby. His hand brushed against something solid, and he grasped a large vase that had been resting in the cart. Shaddoc threw it at the shadow with a loud grunt, not waiting to see the creature's response as he turned and leapt over the cart, running back down the street the way he'd come. He heard an angry scream, but didn't look back. He knew he hadn't bought himself more time than he'd needed to be able to turn his back on the shadow. But he knew he could outrun it, as long as he didn't get himself cornered again.
I just have to get to the North Tower, he thought, gritting his teeth. From what he could guess, Gamaliel must have chickened out and cast Shaddoc out by some power of the Darkness. Shaddoc could only presume that Gamaliel was still there. If not...he didn't know what else to do. Nigal will know.
Shaddoc slowed his pace for a heartbeat as the realization hit him, then quickly sped up again when he realized why he was running.
Nigal! If Shaddoc had been cast out of the tower, it was only logical that Nigal had been, too. And with all the shadows running around, and Nigal still injured...Shaddoc cringed, letting out a cry of frustration. Shaddoc couldn't bear to be sidetracked again, and for all he knew, Nigal was still in the tower. He could waste all day looking for him and never find him, and let Gamaliel - and his only chance to find Jadis - get away in the process. And yet...a nagging feeling told Shaddoc that if he didn't find Nigal, it would be too late.
Shaddoc threw a fist against a wall as he ran, anger and turmoil welling up in his chest. Indecision racked him as he tried to figure out what to do. What would be best for Nigal, Jadis, and all of mankind as they knew it?
What would you do? Shaddoc thought to himself, wishing desperately that that one person was here.
ClaecElric4God

Postby Wolfsong » Tue Oct 08, 2013 4:02 pm

Jadis turned to grin at Arren. "You know, you're right. I just ain't sure we should just walk out. Though if it weren't for the fact I'd be likely to just fall right back into the Heart's realm, I'd say it was better than waiting for the Hand to return." he paused. "Do you hear something?"
Ethinine glanced out the door. The shadows outside were writhing and twisting, agitated. "What..."

Reveka was surprised by how the shadows seemed to recoil and then pressing in, almost suffocatingly as they entered.
"They are eager," Azarael said. "Our eternal war is finally reaching its end."
"It might not be in your favor," Reveka told him quietly.
Azarael suddenly reached out to her, stiffening slightly as he entered her aura of Light. As his hand came to rest on her shoulder, she felt like a weight had been laid on her. "There's not much you can do, except resists. Much better to at least live beyond the end, don't you think?"
"May I see my brother?" she asked.
"Not yet. Soon. Come, we must get a little further."
Reveka thought she saw a room as they passed, but wasn't certain. Azarael led her through the Darkness to a room on the far end.
"You are to stay here," he told her. She walked a few paces in, looking around. "You must not leave. You understand?"
She turned just in time to see something flicker in his eyes, something that suddenly gave her hope. "You're afraid." she said. "You have no more idea how this will turn out than I do. That's why you won't let me see Arren. You're afraid of what could happen if the Hand and the Wings awaken together."
He stared at her, then slowly smiled. She gasped and scrambled back, for the face before her suddenly twisted into a nightmare, a nameless horror. For an instant she saw the true face behind the human mask, for an instant she knew the demon behind Azarael.
The face of his humanity returned, but she remained against the wall, her own eyes wide in fear. "I'm not the only one," he said quietly. He turned and vanished.
Reveka slid down the wall till she sat with her back against it, trembling. "A-Arren," she whimpered. "Arren. I'm scared...."

Shadow Jadis stood on the wall of the castle grounds, watching. He had entered the 'dream' when he learned his.....friends....were there. Gamaliel demanded his assistance in removing them.
Below him, he could see a figure fighting with a shadow. Quietly, he leapt from the wall to a building, running across it before coming to a stop at the edge. There, it was Shaddoc. He stood, equipping his claws. Distracted as he was, it would be easy...
Suddenly, the light within him suddenly rose up like a roaring lion, fighting for supremacy. He gasped and stumbled back, almost falling off the roof. He clutched at his neck, feeling almost like he was choking. Within him, Light and Dark raged for order, for mastery.
Shaddoc's shout suddenly cut across his thoughts. "He needs help!" Shaddoc, his friend and companion.
Jadis lunged off the roof, almost breaking something surely. Shaddoc had already moved on, but the shadows were following. Quite soon, he was to be engaged again. Careless of personal safety, Jadis ran toward him.
"Not that way!" he said, grabbing Shaddoc's arm, his own raised to deflect any blows. "They're waiting to ambush you again. They want to lure you and Nigal to the main streets, they'll be able to pick you off from everywhere then!" his eyes flickered between brown and gold, but the brown seemed to be holding its own. He pulled Shaddoc back towards where he came, continuing. "If we're going to rescue Nigal, we'll have to hurry. Gamaliel was hoping especially to pick him off while distracting you with himself as the bait."
He paused to grin at Shaddoc. "You're looking well," he commented suddenly. "Considering...Come on, I don't know how much longer I can hold on. At least Azarael's distracted right now..." He leapt up, grabbing the edge of a roof, and swung up. "Here, we can cross the city quickly, and usually see them coming."
Wolfsong

Postby ClaecElric4God » Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:21 pm

What would you do? The thought had barely entered his mind before that very person appeared out of nowhere.
"Not that way!" A voice yelled, and Shaddoc nearly jumped out of his skin as a hand grasped his arm. He turned to see his new attacker, ready to counterattack. His eyes widened when he recognized the figure, and realized in retrospect that he'd recognized the voice as well.
"Jadis?!" He yelped. Instantly on his guard, he studied Jadis' expression, and noticed the flickering color in his eyes. Shaddoc smiled with concern in his eyes, realizing that this really was Jadis, and he was fighting with all he had to keep control of himself. Shaddoc didn't even hear most of what Jadis said, he was simply so overwhelmed with relief that Jadis was okay, and assured that they would figure out the rest from here.
Shaddoc only remembered to run because Jadis was practically dragging him. When he finally got his feet under him, he came up alongside Jadis. He laughed when he heard the part about Gamaliel using himself as bait. Well, that wasn't going to work anymore, since the only reason Shaddoc had wanted to fight him was to find a way to rescue Jadis. So now they just needed to get to Nigal as quickly as possible.
" 'Well' ?" Shaddoc asked skeptically, glancing at his shoulders to make a point. "At this rate, I think I'd have to be laying on the side of the road gasping out my last breath before you'd worry about me." But there was a joyful light in his eyes, and he grinned back at Jadis. But then his smile died, and he hesitated as Jadis jumped onto the roof. Jumping up after him, Shaddoc stopped next to Jadis, looking him in the eye.
"I'm sorry..." he said, thinking about the wound he'd inflicted. This was the first time he'd gotten a chance to talk to the real Jadis since then. "I'm sorry."
ClaecElric4God

Postby Oddood198 » Thu Oct 10, 2013 12:58 pm

Arren looked out the door, watching the disturbed shadows, Well, that bodes well... He thought. He opened his mouth and was about to say something, when another voice, one he recognized but didn't expect, silenced him.
"A-Arren..." It said, softly, in fear, "Arren. I'm scared."
Arren walked to the door, wings raised and curled around him, "We're going. Now. Get ready." He said to Jadis and Ethinine, the look of wild determination was returning to his eyes, and he wasn't about to be stopped or held back now.
Oddood198

Postby Wolfsong » Thu Oct 10, 2013 5:37 pm

Nigal hadn't even gotten close to the main streets. Driven by shadows and weakened by the blood he'd lost, he took shelter in Lily's apothecary. Using the strength left in him, he pushed boxes of herbs in front of the door and various other things to cover the windows. Spots were hovering on the edge of his vision as he stumbled into the back room. He grabbed at some bandages on the way in, struggling to at least slow the flow as he collapsed behind some drying fragrant herbs. he was starting to see light too, and that disturbed him.
They were pounding on the door. They were coming. "Light, give me the strength I need to withstand the Darkness," he quietly prayed, the final prayer of dying soldiers. "Grant that my heart with not fall prey to its grave horrors. Please...lead my soul safely home."
He heard the door give. Quietly, he raised his sword and steeled himself to die.

Jadis just grinned back at Shaddoc. "Nah, no hard feelings. I'm just grateful you're acting like I...like I never left." He sighed, then grimaced in pain as the shadow in him sought mastery. He snarled, forcing it back down. But it was strong, he didn't have long. "Lets go. We don't have much time."
He jumped from roof to roof, making fast tracks for the side of town he knew Nigal to be in. There was still enough shadow in him that he could sense as they did, and he knew where Nigal was.
"He took refuge in Lily's apothecary," Jadis told Shaddoc. "We need to hurry. There's...a lot of blood, that the shadows are smelling. Its driving them wild."
A shadow suddenly rose up before him, claw raised. He grinned; so he had enough Light for them to recognize. That was comforting. his claws were already on, so he knocked its arms away and tore its head off, hardly slowing as he did it.
Shadows were pouring into the apothecary. For a second, images were in his mind. Blood, he could smell it, so strong he could taste it. Nigal.
Shrieking, an inhuman sound of pure rage and hate, he lunged off the roof, landing on the group of shadows. Leaping off their heads, he smashed through the door frame. He heard the startled shouts and snarls of the shadows, but they hardly registered. He didn't even know if Shaddoc was behind him or not. All that mattered was the blood scent.
"NIGAL!" he shouted, hacking and slashing his way steadily towards the door. "NIGAL!"
As he barreled toward the door, for an instant he resembled a shadow, but in a stranger way. His eyes seemed to glow, and yet the only thing in his mind was saving his mentor. Shrieking as someone insane, he continued toward the door. "NIGAL!!"

Jadis glanced at Arren in surprise. "Jeez, what bit you?" Then he saw the look on his face. After a moment, he nodded. "Fine. But I'll warn you up front, I don't know the way out from the way in here. All I know is where we do not want to go." He stood, crossing his arms. "Shall we see what happens when we shed some Light on the surface?" he asked with a grin.
Wolfsong

Postby ClaecElric4God » Sat Oct 12, 2013 5:01 pm

Shaddoc nodded at Jadis' analysis. He picked up his pace, pushing his muscles to the limit. He wasn't startled when he saw the shadows at the apothecary. He'd expected there to be that many. But his gut twisted when he saw it, thinking about Nigal trapped in the building, surrounded by those monsters. Shaddoc fell behind Jadis, letting Jadis attack the shadows head on, as was his style. Instead, Shaddoc sheathed his knife and took his bow in his hand, notching a handful of arrows to it. One by one, he worked on the shadows, trying to keep them at bay. Inside he was raging, but he wasn't going to let his emotions get the best of him again. For Nigal's sake, he needed to remain calm and collected, and use his head.
Shaddoc's heart rose in his throat as Jadis advanced, eager for Jadis to reach Nigal, but afraid of what they might find.
ClaecElric4God

Previous Next

Return to RPGs and Roleplaying