Anime Recommendations Thread

The real heart of CAA; discuss specific series, issues, and things related to anime here.

Re: Anime Recommendations Thread

Postby skreyola » Sun Sep 01, 2013 7:17 pm

I think Candle might be looking at it in a different way than what you're saying.

Granted, it's the criminal's fault, entirely, for committing a crime/sin.

However, saying that a woman's attire has no bearing on the matter whatsoever is like saying that it's not the tourist's fault he got mugged, even though he walked down a dark alley in a bad part of town, where people had warned him there were frequent muggings.
The criminals who mugged the tourist are entirely at fault, but doesn't the tourist bear some responsibility for behaving in an unwise manner? Satan is roaming about seeking whom he may devour. Why give him extra opportunity?

I could be wrong, but perhaps that's where Candle7 is coming from when he says "it is important to dress modestly to help prevent" bad things.

By the way, this discussion made me curious, so I've started watching Maid-sama.
"Click click click. Still defective."
MAL: Manga List
Anime List
skreyola

Postby FllMtl Novelist » Sun Sep 01, 2013 8:48 pm

skreyola wrote:I think Candle might be looking at it in a different way than what you're saying.

The philosophy of "girls should dress modestly to prevent rape/lust/whatever" is harmful in and of itself, regardless of whether the intentions are pure. If I have a child and tell them not to make friends, because I had an abusive friend once and genuinely want to protect my child from suffering that way, does that make the damage I'll have done to my child okay?

No.
Granted, it's the criminal's fault, entirely, for committing a crime/sin.

Agreed. This statement means absolutely no blame can fall on the victim! I'm so glad we agree!
However, saying that a woman's attire has no bearing on the matter whatsoever is like saying that it's not the tourist's fault he got mugged, even though he walked down a dark alley in a bad part of town, where people had warned him there were frequent muggings.
The criminals who mugged the tourist are entirely at fault, but doesn't the tourist bear some responsibility for behaving in an unwise manner?

Oh nevermind. : (

A woman's attire actually has nothing to do with whether she was raped. Rape is about power ("I want sex and this woman's desires do not matter"), not sexual attraction ("wow she has nice legs"). Rape requires viewing women as objects or subhuman, which is not connected to the clothes they are (or aren't) wearing.

Rapists don't roam looking for cleavage, belly buttons, and tight shorts. They look for women who are easy prey: alone, easy to intimidate, and possessing low self-esteem.

Your analogy about the tourist is also irrelevant. A woman has a right to dress her body how she likes, and wearing a bikini or a miniskirt as she goes about her daily business is nothing like deliberately walking into a bad part of town (which I think we agree is a foolish thing). How a woman dresses herself is a form of self-expression, not a journey through potentially dangerous territory. Can other forms of self-expression--drawing, writing, singing--be "unwise" and lead to the individual being assaulted too?
Satan is roaming about seeking whom he may devour. Why give him extra opportunity?

Wearing "immodest" clothing isn't giving him "extra opportunity". Our God must be pretty weak if a little thing like a bikini grants Satan extra power.
I could be wrong, but perhaps that's where Candle7 is coming from when he says "it is important to dress modestly to help prevent" bad things.

Regardless of whether it was the intention, modesty doesn't prevent anything. It just causes a lot of unnecessary grief and emotional problems.
FllMtl Novelist

Postby Mr. Hat'n'Clogs » Sun Sep 01, 2013 8:57 pm

FllMtl Novelist wrote:Regardless of whether it was the intention, modesty doesn't prevent anything.
Quite the opposite, actually. Attempting to enforce modesty objectifies a woman's body as solely a means for sex and encourages rather than deterring rapists. I don't rape someone because I get horny on seeing a chick in a bikini, I rape someone because I don't view the woman as a human being and instead as a thing I can have sex with. If her body is only a sexual object, then why should I view her as anything but?
Mr. Hat'n'Clogs

Postby skreyola » Sun Sep 01, 2013 9:49 pm

Please forgive me. I was not clear, obviously, because your reaction is not what I was saying at all.

Look, I agree with you that a woman's attire does not excuse sinful/criminal acts toward her, and I'm not at all blaming the victims of any crime. People who mistreat others always have a choice, no matter what real or perceived provocation may be presented or imagined. Treating any person as a sex object is wrong.

As to what I was trying to say... oh, forget it. I didn't mean to turn this into a debate, so I'm not going to try any further to explain what I was trying to say. I haven't changed my mind at all, but I'm obviously not getting my point across with the appropriate distinctions, and this isn't the right thread to hash it out.
Anime List
skreyola

Postby Ante Bellum » Mon Sep 02, 2013 12:10 am

Candle7 wrote:I am very sorry, Fu, if I made it sound like I supported every little "creepy" thing that happened in the show. I don't. There is no reason to mark a person to prevent them from wearing a showy bikini.

Except you said it teaches "pretty decent lessons about modesty." If that's how it teaches, and you still call it a good show...
That's awful. That's forcing shame on a woman who just wants to wear what SHE wants. Like Fu said, it's straight up manipulation. She's not three years old, either. She doesn't need to be told how to dress or receive "lessons," especially not in that manner. When these happen throughout and you say that it is hilarious and has good romance, well, do I really need to say anything?
Ante Bellum

Postby Falx » Mon Sep 02, 2013 8:53 am

Guys respectfully this is not the thread for this, can we perhaps move this to a thread in general discussion at the very least if all participants want to continue?
Blessed be the LORD my strength which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:
My goodness, and my fortress; my high tower, and my deliverer; my shield, and he in whom I trust; who subdueth my people under me.

神はそのひとり子を賜わったほどに、この世を愛して下さった。それは御子を信じる者がひとりも滅びないで、永遠の命を得るためである.

My MAL Profile. Please check out my Dad's Christian eBook on Facebook.
Falx

Postby Candle7 » Mon Sep 02, 2013 12:03 pm

If I had known my recommendation would turn into something so controversial, I never would have done it. I answered that person on what was the worst in the show that was different from Special A. All shows have their quirks, and this show is not an exception. Please, please, please forgive me for turning this into a debate. This was not my intention whatsoever and like skreyola, my point was apparently not brought across the way I was intending. What skreyola was saying was what I was attempting to say, but I always have this issue of being unable to say what I mean. Forgive me for sounding like a person who supports "straight up manipulation" and even though this show had its enjoyable parts, I see now it is one (like FMA, SAO, or any other anime) that I cannot recommend with a clear conscious. And so, with this, hopefully I can end this dreadful misunderstanding and we can get back to what this thread is supposed to be.

[clipped - no need for parting shots]

If anyone is not satisfied with my explanation, feel free to PM me and we can move it elsewhere because I do not want to cause anymore disruptions on this thread. And I ask, no hate mail, please.
"Lay off, I'm as normal as they come and this is a contest of freaks. What do you want me to do, fire my slingshot at him?" -Maes Hughes
"I already told you, A FIST IN HIS FACE!!" -Edward Elric
"Don't call me small! I'll break off your feet and stick em on your head!" -Edward Elric and me (though I'm not going to do anything violent)
Candle7

Postby uc pseudonym » Tue Sep 03, 2013 2:53 am

Some tangential discussion is fine, and the issue is an important one, but this probably should have gone to PM a while ago. Let's carry on with the thread's main purpose.
uc pseudonym

Postby faithb4sight » Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:45 pm

Zeke365, I think you will enjoy Air TV if you like Clannad and Kannon. A Little Snow Fairy Sugar is a very sweet anime that reminds me a bit of Princess Tutu (though PTT is far better). The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya is a decent comedy, if you like that, but parts are a little slow (there's a movie with the series, too).
Fullmetal Alchemist is a great series. Vic Mignogna is the voice actor in it (He was Dark in D.N. Angel and Tamaki in Ouran High School). It's a more action-oriented series.
Fairy Tail is a series I'm currently watching (and enjoying) that is both action and comedy. Inuyasha is a romance/action/semi-comedy series that's pretty good (though I haven't seen all the episodes) Ranma 1/2 is a series by the same writer as Inuyasha. It's romance comedy (a little older) - very random, and some parts are questionable - you have to go into it knowing that the entire series is not meant to be serious at all.
If you like Miyazaki-style movies try Castle in the Sky. The Girl Who Leapt Through Time is a wonderful movie, too.

If you are running out of things to watch, try searching Wikipedia for voice actors from your favorite series. See what other anime they have been a part of.

Blessings~
Image On the summit - even in the valley... God is good. I praise Him for all of everything.
"Now the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing, that ye may abound in hope, through the power of the Holy Ghost." Rom. 15:13
faithb4sight

Postby DecooPunk » Sat Sep 14, 2013 4:03 pm

I have question about Blast of Tempest. Does anyone give away or trade their souls in this anime? I was wondering because I had started to watch it with my sister once and a boy said he did so we stopped watching it, but the review on CAA says nothing about that. Was it just mistranslated?
DecooPunk

Postby FllMtl Novelist » Sun Sep 15, 2013 10:48 am

Sooo I've been on something of an anime burnout for a while now, and I'm thinking to get myself out of it I'd like to try a fluffy romance, just to see something completely different. Also I am too grr manly and need to get in touch with my feminine side.

The only two normalish romance anime I remember enjoying are Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun and Hotarubi no Mori e. My MAL profile is linked in my signature, though I really haven't seen or read many other romantic things so I dunno how much help that will be.

Socially awkward and dorky characters are a plus, as is any on-screen and non-rapey kissing, though neither are required.

I can't think of any content I'm concerned about; my only real requirement is that the show (or the first season of it) be less than thirty episodes.

I have no idea where to look for good titles, so any recommendations would be highly appreciated!
FllMtl Novelist

Postby Vii » Sun Sep 15, 2013 11:15 am

DecooPunk wrote:I have question about Blast of Tempest. Does anyone give away or trade their souls in this anime? I was wondering because I had started to watch it with my sister once and a boy said he did so we stopped watching it, but the review on CAA says nothing about that. Was it just mistranslated?

There's no soul business that I can remember. Do you remember which boy it was?

FllMtl Novelist wrote:Sooo I've been on something of an anime burnout for a while now, and I'm thinking to get myself out of it I'd like to try a fluffy romance, just to see something completely different. Also I am too grr manly and need to get in touch with my feminine side.

The only two normalish romance anime I remember enjoying are Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun and Hotarubi no Mori e. My MAL profile is linked in my signature, though I really haven't seen or read many other romantic things so I dunno how much help that will be.

Socially awkward and dorky characters are a plus, as is any on-screen and non-rapey kissing, though neither are required.

I can't think of any content I'm concerned about; my only real requirement is that the show (or the first season of it) be less than thirty episodes.

I have no idea where to look for good titles, so any recommendations would be highly appreciated!

Kotonoha no Niwa/Garden of Words - OVA/Movie - Not super fluffy, but kiiinda like Hotarubi no Mori e?

Lovely Complex - 24 episodes - Height complexes!

Kimi ni Todoke - 25 episodes (first season) - Socially awkward main character!

Sukitte Ii na Yo - 13 episodes - Socially awkward main character. Buuuuut there's a kiss in the first episode that's pretty creepy?

Kamisama Kiss - 13 episodes - Pretty decent shoujo anime iirc.
Vii

Postby DecooPunk » Sun Sep 15, 2013 12:22 pm

@vii
It was a while ago but I think he was blonde. What happened was the blonde dude was telling another guy that he found this doll, and it had this tag that read "if you want to trade you soul for help then hammer in a nail into the doll" and the blonde haired dude did or something along the lines of that.
DecooPunk

Postby GeneD » Sun Sep 15, 2013 12:34 pm

@FllMtl Novelist

Chuunibyou demo Koi ga Shitai!, it's more a romantic comedy than just fluffy romance, but since you liked Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun... It's definitely got social awkward and dorky-ness. 12 episodes.
GeneD

Postby SierraLea » Sun Sep 15, 2013 2:29 pm

PandaPop wrote:My sister wants to watch an anime with me but I'm not sure what to watch with her maybe you guys can help me out! She has only seen the first season of DBZ and howls moving castle and she enjoyed them both very much, I tied Trigun on her but its starts off too slow so she lost interest. I like all different kinds of anime so I don't know what direction to go in with her. All I know is she would like, Action/Romance, light comedy but not a lot of fanservice, epic battle scenes or like romantic battle scenes like save the girl lol, nothing too long definitely no more than 50 episodes preferably less, language isn't a big problem as long as its not overboard. Idk though you guys can stray from these a little too, shes new to anime so maybe some shows you guys have tried on other newbies :)

How about Princess Tutu? My sisters really liked it and they're 6 and 8.
SierraLea

Postby Vii » Sun Sep 15, 2013 8:41 pm

DecooPunk wrote:@vii
It was a while ago but I think he was blonde. What happened was the blonde dude was telling another guy that he found this doll, and it had this tag that read "if you want to trade you soul for help then hammer in a nail into the doll" and the blonde haired dude did or something along the lines of that.

Ah, I remember now. That has nothing to do with literal soul trading. It's just a note to get people to pick it up and communicate with the girl on the island iirc.
Last edited by Vii on Sun Sep 15, 2013 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vii

Postby Vii » Sun Sep 15, 2013 8:45 pm

GeneD wrote:@FllMtl Novelist

Chuunibyou demo Koi ga Shitai!, it's more a romantic comedy than just fluffy romance, but since you liked Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun... It's definitely got social awkward and dorky-ness. 12 episodes.

Oooh yeah, I second this, that way you can watch the second season with us when it rolls around. >:D

EDIT: Aaaagh accidental double post, sorry sorry.
Vii

Postby DecooPunk » Sun Sep 15, 2013 8:46 pm

@Vii
Ohhh. Thank you so much. I feel silly now...
DecooPunk

Postby faithb4sight » Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:37 pm

@PandaPop
Yes, Princess Tutu sounds like a good bet for you. It's pretty mild in swearing, etc. But I wouldn't say it was made for just little kids. It's got a plot line that's pretty interesting even for adults - I watched it and had to buy the series!

@FllMtl Novelist
You might try Princess Tutu as well. It's pretty comedic at time (as the main character is a sometimes duck - haha) BUT it is also cute and romantic at times as well. A pretty good mix, but it has 38 episodes... (I think it's divide into 2 seasons, though).
Image On the summit - even in the valley... God is good. I praise Him for all of everything.
"Now the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing, that ye may abound in hope, through the power of the Holy Ghost." Rom. 15:13
faithb4sight

Postby GeneD » Tue Sep 17, 2013 12:29 am

faithb4sight wrote:@FllMtl Novelist
You might try Princess Tutu as well. It's pretty comedic at time (as the main character is a sometimes duck - haha) BUT it is also cute and romantic at times as well. A pretty good mix, but it has 38 episodes... (I think it's divide into 2 seasons, though).

I second this, didn't realise you hadn't seen it, FllMtl Novelist. While technically Tutu has 38 episodes, the second season was broadcast in 15 minutes slots so the effective total is 26 half-hour episodes over 2 seasons.
GeneD

Postby WorldsTraveler » Thu Sep 19, 2013 11:47 am

Hi, I’m here for some recommendations from you knowledgeable folk. :)

My mom and I are looking for anime to watch together. For the most part, we have similar tastes in genre (we both like fantasy/sci-fi and action/adventure). However, I’m having trouble finding shows that overlap our interests enough for us to enjoy equally.

Most notably, my mom really appreciates humor – witty dialogue and banter between characters, not silliness or cartoon slapstick. Logical storytelling is very important to her (she can see a plot-hole from a mile away). She also wants a generally up-beat attitude to the storyline. I myself love complex plots, character development, philosophical themes, and creativity in the story-telling.

So far, we’ve both enjoyed:
• Howl’s Moving Castle – Our favorite Studio Ghibli movie.
• Steins;Gate – We loved the banter between the cast and the growth of their relationships, and the well-thought-out time travel elements.
• Dennou Coil – We loved the humor and the characters. I appreciated the storyline more than she did though; she had a bit of trouble keeping up with the mysteries.
• Princess Tutu – She found it humorous and interesting, but again, it was more in my ballpark than hers due to the psychology and fairytale references.
• Tales of the Abyss – We just started watching it and she’s really enjoying it so far. It has the right blend of action, humor, and complexity to keep us both interested.

Series I enjoyed but she didn’t:
• Haibane Renmei – She found it too gloomy. She would’ve liked more of the plot elements to be explained.
• Noein – The story moved too slowly and subtly for her, and again, she thought there wasn’t enough humor to balance out the angst. She wasn’t a big fan of the comic-bookish style of the art either.

She would prefer to watch series dubbed in English and, content-wise, I prefer a G-PG rating. A moderate and tasteful PG-13 is acceptable though. (Just nothing harsher than the aforementioned titles.) We normally watch fantasy and science fiction, but would be happy to try other genres.

Thank you for reading and we really look forward to hearing your suggestions!
WorldsTraveler

Postby faithb4sight » Thu Sep 19, 2013 6:01 pm

@WorldsTraveler
Do you like longer series? The first 60-70 eps. of Fairy Tail dubbed are out right now. It's got fantasy/action/adventure/humor, and lots of character development. But if you don't want to watch subs you'll have to wait for the rest to come out. Tsubasa Resevoir Chronicles is fantasy/action/adventure with random humor. Some parts are thought-provoking and even a little confusing, but I think everything winds up being explained.
I'm watching Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood right now. So far it's explaining everything and making a lot of sense compared to the original series. It's probably PG-13 due to violence but it is a very amazing/complex anime that keeps you wondering what will happen next. It's a good mix of serious/random humor.
It's been a long time since I watched it but Scrapped Princess was fantasy/action. Can't tell you many major details about it though since it's been so long.
faithb4sight

Postby skreyola » Thu Sep 19, 2013 8:01 pm

@WorldsTraveler: I'm going to recommend Honey & Clover. While you may wonder after the first few episodes why I recommended it, the fuarther into the series you go, the deeper the plot threads go, and the more philosophical it becomes. There's plenty of slapstick, too, but there's also an amazing amount of depth to the characters and story, and since you mentioned Steins;Gate, I think you can handle the wackiness in H&C.
Some other possibilities, but take them with a grain of salt: Cross Game has a lot of witty banter and a fairly complex story, but very little action. Madoka Magica is very deep and complex, but may be too dark/violent for your tastes. Same for AnoHana: complex but maybe too sad/dark... though it's not as dark as Haibane, and I liked it a LOT more than I did HR, for the same reasons you say your mom didn't. El Cazador de la Bruja has a lot of witty banter, but it's not especially deep or complex.
Other titles that came to mind but may or may not be a good fit: Beast Player: Erin, Sora no Woto (Sound of the Sky) and Tari-Tari.

Hope that helps.
Anime List
skreyola

Postby FllMtl Novelist » Fri Sep 20, 2013 3:18 pm

Vii wrote:Kotonoha no Niwa/Garden of Words - OVA/Movie - Not super fluffy, but kiiinda like Hotarubi no Mori e?

Lovely Complex - 24 episodes - Height complexes!

Kimi ni Todoke - 25 episodes (first season) - Socially awkward main character!

Sukitte Ii na Yo - 13 episodes - Socially awkward main character. Buuuuut there's a kiss in the first episode that's pretty creepy?

Kamisama Kiss - 13 episodes - Pretty decent shoujo anime iirc.

GeneD wrote:@FllMtl Novelist

faithb4sight wrote:@FllMtl Novelist

Herpderp I keep forgetting to reply to these. Thanks so much for the suggestions, guys. I tried out a couple and ended up going with Kimi ni Todoke for now, but I'll make a note of the other titles for any future romance needs.
FllMtl Novelist

Postby skreyola » Fri Sep 20, 2013 7:46 pm

I really like that one, especially because it's totally clean.
Anime List
skreyola

Postby WorldsTraveler » Fri Sep 20, 2013 8:00 pm

Thank you so much, everyone! This is a great selection and gives us several options.

A few extra questions though. I’ve tried some of these series and dropped them for various reasons, so I’d like to confirm a few things:

Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicle: I’ve read the first three manga volumes and enjoyed them! However, I read in an online review that there was intense violence in the later seasons of the anime. The CAA review paints it as clean though. I’m confused; can I have some clarification, please?

Erin: I eagerly sampled this title after finishing the magnificent Moribito. But I got the impression from the first episode that this was going to be one of those ‘unfortunate protagonist struggles to make their way in a world that doesn’t appreciate them’ angst-fest. If someone can alleviate that concern, I’ll be glad to give it another try!
WorldsTraveler

Postby skreyola » Fri Sep 20, 2013 10:09 pm

Re: Erin... it's not exactly that kind of show, but there's a terrible lot of angst. Roughly every five minutes, on average, she screams ogaza!!! in a flashback, and that gets kind of annoying. However, between those, there's an expansive story full of learning, development, and political intrigue, so you might want to give it another shot. But if angst really turns you off, steer clear.
Anime List
skreyola

Postby faithb4sight » Sat Sep 21, 2013 8:31 pm

@ WorldsTraveler
I have heard the the OVA's are more bloody - I have not personally seen those. The regular series is not too harsh when it comes to bloody violence, but it depends on what you are basing it on. The series is not nearly as violent as Fullmetal Alchemist, nor as detailed. I'd compare it to Inuyasha, but I think it is even more mild than that. Basically for an anime that has a lot of fighting, it is pretty tame. I think there is a scene involving an eye being hurt pretty badly, but the animators (in my opinion) did not make it as cringe-worthy as the scene in Haibane where the wings come out of the girl's back.
faithb4sight

Postby Mr. Hat'n'Clogs » Tue Sep 24, 2013 10:13 pm

Hey guys! Now that I only have five or so episodes of Maou-sama left I dunno what I'm going to watch after it so I thought I'd see what you guys might think! I've been getting really interested in sakuga lately so I'd really prefer a show to be well-animated, and I'd rather not have something that's really heavy? Something like Brohood would be fine but not Kaiba or Wolf's Rain? Thanks!
Mr. Hat'n'Clogs

Postby GeneD » Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:11 am

@Hat, I couldn't think of any older series and I'm sure I'm miles away from a good judge of animation quality, but you should consider checking out Gatchaman Crowds, Eccentric Family or Free, recommended in that order.
GeneD

Previous Next

Return to Anime and Anime Reviews