What are you reading?

A place to discuss your favorite authors and poets, Christian and secular

Re: What are you reading?

Postby Mr. Hat'n'Clogs » Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:51 pm

Death Masks by Jim Butcher

I had mixed feelings on Dresden before this but I'd heard some things that made me interested in trying the series out again. I really like the world of Dresden and the background events and major factions and stuff is all very interesting, but I don't think I can really get into Dresden as a character, though I cannot say why that is. I think I might read more Dresden if I literally just need something to pass the time and don't have any other books available to me that I would choose to read, but otherwise I think I'm done here.

The Alloy of Law by Brandon Sanderson

Sanderson is the best and wrote a book where the fantasy world has progressed technologically and uses the already awesome magic systems he'd created to explore really interesting new dynamics with the changes in technology. This is on top of a clever tightly-paced plot involving several awesome characters makes for the most fun I've had reading a book in quite a long while. Eagerly awaiting Shadows of Self and it's neat to be caught up on this series.
Mr. Hat'n'Clogs

Postby GeneD » Tue Jul 09, 2013 5:43 am

Finshed Baccano: The Slash ~Bloody to Fair~ which was loads of fun and awesome. Now starting Baccano: Alice in Jails Prison Episode. SPOILER: Highlight text to read: All the men go to jail. I know this is part of how Narita writes, but it's interesting how, like in The Slash, there's a bit of a set up period to get everyone in one place and then they're let loose from there, at least I assume the latter part since I'm not very far into it yet.
GeneD

Postby SierraLea » Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:35 pm

I just finished the first of the Larten Crepsley books. It's a very different take on the same sort of experience from it's predecessor, the Darren Shan saga. I don't know if I like it or not yet.
SierraLea

Postby rocklobster » Wed Jul 10, 2013 2:21 pm

Re-reading Summer Knight.
rocklobster

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Fri Jul 12, 2013 6:37 pm

Finally finished How to Read Literature Like a Professor, which wasn't a whole lot of help and will be sent off to the used bookstore soon.

Now I'm picking back up on my latest rereading of the Harry Potter series. I couldn't remember where I was in Chamber of Secrets, so I started over again. This was my favorite book out of the whole series until Deathly Hallows came out, and I always enjoy reading it again ^_^
the_wolfs_howl

Postby Sheenar » Sat Jul 13, 2013 5:53 pm

Currently reading Make Them Go Away: Clint Eastwood, Christopher Reeve and the Case Against Disability Rights by Mary Johnson.

I'm roughly halfway through. Is a real eye-opener as I was 5 when the Americans with Disabilities Act became law. I highly recommend it if you are curious about disability rights--and why access and inclusion for people with disabilities is important. There's so much more I can say about the subject. The Amazon reviews do a good job of explaining what I'm trying (but failing) to express right now.
"Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all. So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal." 2 Corinthians 4:16-18

"Since the creation of the Internet, the Earth's rotation has been fueled, primarily, by the collective spinning of English teachers in their graves."
Sheenar

Postby Kaori » Sun Jul 14, 2013 3:29 am

Since I last posted in here:

Customs and Cultures by Eugene A. Nida. Basically it describes various customs of cultures around the world, with a focus of aboriginal cultures.

The Liberty of Obedience, a collection of essays by Elizabeth Elliot. Overall the essays stress the standard of acting in love as more important than avoiding something that might appear sinful to someone else, the importance of not judging other cultures by our own cultural standards, the uselessness of avoiding “worldly” things for the sake of piety, and that the rules in the Bible are meant to be practiced with discernment according to the situation.

Anne of Green Gables by L.M. Montgomery. I understand now why Anne is such a beloved character and this book is so famous. Also, Prince Edward Island sounds incredibly beautiful.

Literature of the Eastern World, an anthology of Chinese, Babylonian, Hebrew, Hindustani, Burmese, Islamic, and Japanese literature compiled by the editors James E. Miller, Jr., Robert O’Neil, and Helen McDonnell (1970). Skipped some sections because I had already read them, but of everything I did read, I enjoyed the Chinese poetry best, followed by the Hebrew poetry. Not really familiar enough with Eastern literature to evaluate the editors' choices of what to include, but I do wish that it had had more commentary and annotation.

The Inner Voice of Love by Henri Nouwen. Occasionally I was able to tell that something Nouwen said was valuable because it matches up with my own experience. However, it’s an intensely internal book about Nouwen’s spiritual journey during a difficult time in his life, and for much of the book I wasn’t able to identify what he said or connect it to my experience, so in those cases I felt that I had no frame of reference to be able to evaluate what he said. Thus, with a few exceptions, I felt that most of the book was not something I can apply to my own life.

A Serious Call to a Devout and Holy Life by William Law: As much as I hate to not finish reading a book once I have seriously started it, I might not finish this one. I've read the first half, and while I do appreciate what the author is trying to do, he is unbelievably long-winded and repetitive, and his logic is not always good.
Let others believe in the God who brings men to trial and judges them. I shall cling to the God who resurrects the dead.
-St. Nikolai Velimirovich

MAL
Kaori

Postby SierraLea » Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:18 pm

I finished "The Quiet Light", a novel about St. Thomas Aquinas and the times he lived in. It was surprisingly good.
SierraLea

Postby ForeverInspired » Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:44 pm

^I've heard that's really good. It's near the top of my to-read list.

Right now, I'm working my way through Les Miserables. It's a really good story, but it's so long.
ForeverInspired

Postby LastLfan » Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:53 am

The outsiders by S.E. Hinton
LastLfan

Postby SierraLea » Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:55 pm

I polished off the rest of the Larten Crepsly Saga and have transitioned to Demonata. This author knows how to keep you in suspense, although his use of fragments as sentences does get a little boring after a while.
SierraLea

Postby Kaori » Sun Jul 21, 2013 4:37 am

MLA Handbook for Writers of Research Papers, 7th Edition. Wish I had read this book cover-to-cover ten years ago (well, it was the 6th edition back then, but still).
Let others believe in the God who brings men to trial and judges them. I shall cling to the God who resurrects the dead.

MAL
Kaori

Postby Sheenar » Sun Jul 21, 2013 6:31 pm

Currently reading "A Step Further" by Joni Eareckson Tada --found an old copy in a hospital gift shop--it even has the old book smell (which I love). Very encouraging read. I highly recommend it if you yourself are grappling with suffering or have a loved one who is.

From the Amazon description:
"A Step Further is Joni Eareckson Tada's response to thousands of letters she received from people puzzled about the 'whys' of suffering. Joni answers these questions by taking a personal look at how God has used circumstances, people, and events in her own life and the lives of others. A Step Further has been used by individuals, in hospitals and rehab centers, and in scores of countries overseas to bring comfort and peace to those who are suffering. It is available in over 30 different languages."
"Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all. So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal." 2 Corinthians 4:16-18

"Since the creation of the Internet, the Earth's rotation has been fueled, primarily, by the collective spinning of English teachers in their graves."
Sheenar

Postby rocklobster » Mon Jul 22, 2013 12:16 pm

Started reading Divergent. Pretty intriguing so far.
rocklobster

Postby LastLfan » Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:04 pm

rocklobster wrote:Started reading Divergent. Pretty intriguing so far.

I'm in love with these books, I can't wait for allegiant. Isn't it so relieving to have an awesome book WITHOUT a love triangle. I can't wait for the movie next year. Let me know what you think when you finish
LastLfan

Postby Atria35 » Tue Jul 30, 2013 3:59 pm

Since I've been gone, I read

The Glass Castle by Jeanette Walls - this is not an easy book to read. It's the story of a girl who grew up in a horrifically neglectful (and in some cases, could be considered outfit abusive) home. She is raised by a father that is a drifter and a their, mostly a thief, and a mother that is so consumed with making herself happy and doing what she wants that she will happily let her children starve and grow up in a hellhole, brushing off her daughter's concerns that her uncle came close to molesting her and that their father tried to pimp her out.

It's not a book that goes on rants of self-pity, or even really condemns them. It simply tells it as it was, and in some ways that's the most horrific thing about it. But the woman who lived through it and wrote the book has come to terms with it, and survived, and thrived, so what can I say? But it's a fantastic and eye-opening book.

And a lot of others but its hard to remember them all. Gotta look at my bookshelves.
Atria35

Postby Mr. Hat'n'Clogs » Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:24 am

Finally finish A Dance With Dragons, which took me three weeks. It was wonderful to get back to the series but I think Martin really does need to tighten some things up. It felt tighter than the AFFC but the series would definitely benefit from shifting the focus back to Westeros. And also by not having boring travel sequences. And by having a climax in this book. I am hoping the series is back on track now and that The Winds of Winter will be just as awesome as the first two books.

I also read An Abundance of Katherines by John Green, which was terribly out-of-character for me to do so (it doesn't have magic or lasers I'm not sure what possessed me to read this) but I don't really mind that I did because the book was excellent. I lol'd quite a bit but I was actually really invested in the characters and what was happening and I was actually kind of moved by the ending. Fantastic book.
Mr. Hat'n'Clogs

Postby Kaori » Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:10 pm

Re-Entry by Peter Jordan is a book about how to prepare oneself spiritually and psychologically for returning home after being on the mission field. Despite the cheesy cover image, the author had a lot of helpful things to say. Also, the book not meant just for long-term missionaries but also people who go on short-term mission trips, so I would recommend it to anyone to whom that applies (assuming you can find a copy).

MAL
Kaori

Postby DecooPunk » Wed Aug 07, 2013 9:18 am

The library in the town I'm currently at (vacation, woot! Yes, I go to the library on vacation) has tons of Batman stuff so I found a book with batman TAS comics! Super yays!
The one about the Riddler was epic XD
DecooPunk

Postby Atria35 » Wed Aug 07, 2013 4:36 pm

Finally remembered what I'd read.

Life of Pi - very good. Excellent story. Yes, it's Sophie's World in a few form, but even so.
Shadow of the Wind - ^.^ I adored this! Book about the mystery behind a book and writer. Part historical mystery, part romance, and part amazing!
Dragonsinger, Dragonsong, Dragondrums - Harper Hall trilogy by Anne McCaffrey. I read this a long time ago, and found it again at the bookstore. I love it. Fantastic world and world building, plus I adore Menolly.
Song of the Lioness quartet - I keep forgetting that Tamora Pierce is truly a magnificent young adult writer. She wrote fantasy for girls that was -real, kick-butt fantasy- and the stories and pacing are fabulous. So. Good.
Atria35

Postby bigsleepj » Thu Aug 08, 2013 10:10 am

Last read Doctor Who author Paul Cornell's dark fantasy 'London Falling', a truly chilling horror story. Not been reading as much as I would have liked.

Atria35 wrote:Shadow of the Wind - ^.^ I adored this! Book about the mystery behind a book and writer. Part historical mystery, part romance, and part amazing!

Glad you enjoyed it. For me it started very strong but slowly devolved into a rather terrible read. But that's just me. DId not help that I saw several twists coming a mile away.
bigsleepj

Postby Yuki-Anne » Thu Aug 08, 2013 6:19 pm

Jane Eyre. I've never read it all the way through but so far I like it.
New and improved Yuki-Anne: now with blog: http://anneinjapan.blog.com
Yuki-Anne

Postby PandaPop » Sat Aug 10, 2013 2:53 am

Just finished Firestarter, I shed one tear at the end, not because it was sad but because it was that good.
PandaPop

Postby Scarecrow » Sat Aug 10, 2013 4:37 am

Finished The Call of Cthulhu... I don't get the appeal. I love Lovecraft inspired movies and games and such... but the stories themselves... they're kind of a let down.
Scarecrow

Postby bigsleepj » Sat Aug 10, 2013 12:22 pm

I like Lovecraft (in small doses) but he's a very wordy writer and not everyone will warm to his style.
bigsleepj

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Sat Aug 10, 2013 9:02 pm

Finally finished The Book of Mormon, and am continuing on to Doctrine and Covenants.

...and the Book of Mormon managed to insult my intelligence and faith in the last couple chapters, basically saying that I and my entire family are going to hell because we were baptised as infants :eyeroll:
the_wolfs_howl

Postby GeneD » Sun Aug 11, 2013 12:16 pm

I'm reading Terry Pratchett's Dodger.
GeneD

Postby rocklobster » Sun Aug 11, 2013 12:47 pm

Started the first book in the Mortal Instruments series, City of Bones.
rocklobster

Postby SierraLea » Thu Aug 15, 2013 8:19 pm

I am currently addicted to Ed crossover Fanfics, especially the Harry Potter ones. Sometimes, he's a student, sometimes he's a teacher, sometimes he's completely different. So far, these two stories have the best, although Naruto and Ed crossovers come in a close second!

But I have read some actual books, mostly Samurai Kids. I can't find the last book anywhere, which is also driving me BONKERS. Oh, and there's a new Ranger's Apprentice book that I just bit into today. Still, it started with a pretty good story.
SierraLea

Postby Ally-Ann » Fri Aug 23, 2013 7:27 pm

I'm currently reading A Long Way Gone (Memoirs of a Boy Soldier) by Ishmael Beah. I'm half-way through, and my word, it's heart-wrenching. It makes it even worse to know that it's all a true story. Nevertheless, an excellent read.
Ally-Ann

Previous Next

Return to Book Corner