Server now upgraded - everyone read!

Get the scoop on the changes happening here at CAA. You may also suggest changes or additions to the site and provide feedback about the board.

Re: Server now upgraded - everyone read!

Postby goldenspines » Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:38 pm

Nate wrote:Yeah, text being aligned to the left and the avatars on the right is throwing me off pretty hard since practically every other forum in existence does it the other way around.

Also, I just tried to send a PM to someone and got the message that the user doesn't exist, despite the fact that I went to their profile page and clicked the "send private message" thing from there. Although I suppose they could just have the PM option turned off...but I thought I'd bring it back up just in case that isn't the problem.

EDIT: I'm also noticing the PM problem, I currently have 575 PMs in my box, and practically every one has been duplicated. Could that also potentially be the reason I can't send a PM?
Most likely this is the case. The PM limit is set very low (to 50), thus most people will probably have over this amount and while they can still view their PMs, they probably cannot receive anymore.

This is especially terrible for me as well since I'm terrible about cleaning out my PM box. XD; I'm currently at about 4000% over capacity.
goldenspines

Postby Nate » Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:43 pm

Well, crap.

IMPORTANT NOTE.

If anyone is wanting to clean out their PM box, DO NOT, I repeat, DO NOT try and delete just one of any PMs you wish to keep, even if they are duplicated. I tried doing that just now, I chose one PM of the two duplicated ones to be deleted, and BOTH of them ended up being deleted. So, I've just lost a couple of PMs that I wanted to keep by trying to clean out my box.
Nate

Postby MomentOfInertia » Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:48 pm

Nate wrote:Well, crap.

IMPORTANT NOTE.

If anyone is wanting to clean out their PM box, DO NOT, I repeat, DO NOT try and delete just one of any PMs you wish to keep, even if they are duplicated. I tried doing that just now, I chose one PM of the two duplicated ones to be deleted, and BOTH of them ended up being deleted. So, I've just lost a couple of PMs that I wanted to keep by trying to clean out my box.

Confirmed. My inbox is empty.

(Not a horrible loss, it was mostly people reminding me to post in RPs; and I have a habit ho getting in the last word, so most of the stuff is backed up in sent.)
MAL - CAA MAL club - Avatar from Hyouka
"DaughterOfZion 06:19 - forget love, fudge conquers all. xD"
"Written assignments are never finished, only due." -me
-Speak not unless you can improve the silence.-
MOES: Members Observing Efficient Sigs
MomentOfInertia

Postby Nate » Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:07 pm

I just emptied my PM box and it says I have 2 messages.

There are none displaying. I'm guessing the messages I left unmarked but deleted the duplicates of are still...somewhere? But they're not showing up in my inbox. I have 2 phantom PMs that are inaccessible.

Also is it my imagination or are there like...more bots now?
Nate

Postby Atria35 » Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:06 pm

The Member List is not properly alphabetized. They are in random order. If I click on a letter to pull up the proper first letter, I can pull that up, but beyond that they're jumbled in random order.

Browser version: Explorer 9.0

Connection speed: No idea. Not dial-up.

Computer specifications: ?

Software that you have recently installed ?

Did the bug recently appear? If so, was it working on a different machine before? Yes, it's recent. I definitely didn't have this issue before the update.

URL from which the bug occurs, along with a description of where the bug happens
memberlist.php

Step - by - step instructions on how to reproduce the bug. (Please try and do this, it's very helpful):
Under the 'board index' header, I go to the left and click on the 'Members' button. I see the randomized member names. If I click on the letters, I get the proper first letter but not the rest alphabetized.
Atria35

Postby Mithrandir » Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:23 pm

Just FYI, the "Quick Reply" issue was relatively easy to solve. I believe that one is fixed now. Please keep your reports coming!
Mithrandir

Postby DaughterOfZion » Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:43 pm

Options for Bips in chat needs to be added at some point, the one available is really quiet.
DaughterOfZion

Postby KnightOfFive » Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:54 pm

I'm sorry but I honestly missthe old layout, with this one I lost all my private messages, and my old signature. I know this is sour grapes but at least ecplain how we post links in the new layout.
KnightOfFive

Postby Mithrandir » Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:00 pm

When faced with a new UI, most people just want the old one back. Unfortunately, this one *had* to happen - there wasn't really any other valid option. However, if you continue to tell us what kinds of things are broken (private messages should not have been lost - that's an odd one that I'll have to try and look in to).

We did recommend everyone make a copy of their avatars, sigs, etc, so recovery of that data is further down on my list than, say, some of the security features we're trying to dig up.
Mithrandir

Postby MangaRocks! » Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:10 pm

Ack-- I just went and looked at my PM's after reading the posts about them in this thread, and not only are there indeed duplicates of every one, but also about half of my Sent Items are completely missing (at the very least). :( And a couple of the messages that *are* there have some messed up characters/missing text in them...
Saved by grace.

MAL (Anime) - MAL (Manga) - MAL (Profile)

(^ And if you also have a MAL account, please feel free to send me a friend request there! :) )
MangaRocks!

Postby Atria35 » Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:48 pm

^ The other issue is that when I tried to delete the duplicate messages, it ended up deleting the originals as well. Lost a few PMs I didn't want to because of it.
Atria35

Postby Neane » Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:18 pm

It looks really strange when you see that someone is online.

Also, I used to have about 3000 posts, and now I only have 1805.
Neane

Postby Xeno » Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:17 am

Posts seem to be coming back. I had 1445 or so on the old one, when we switched I dropped to 616 and now I'm up into the 800s. I done a bit of posting tonight, but not that much.

Edit: Threads that had polls in them no longer have their poll data.
Example: http://www.christiananime.net/viewtopic.php?f=105&t=63561

Edit 2: The "Home" button below the top banner goes to the board index now, same as the "Forum" button, instead of going to a page listing various available pages for viewing as it previously did.
Xeno

Postby QtheQreater » Tue Dec 04, 2012 6:21 am

I've gotten one email so far about a reply in a subscribed thread; I'm not supposed to get those (I just rechecked my preferences, email notifications are off).

Edit: So, is this just a change in how the system is supposed to work (subscription posted in = email)? I always just used subscriptions for a handy list of things I'd posted in...

Edit again: I cant see any past posts when I'm editing/using the preview button.
QtheQreater

Postby Mithrandir » Tue Dec 04, 2012 7:55 am

I'm sorry; I don't really use the subscription system. I usually just use the "get new" feature and read from there. I'm hoping someone will do some research into how the subscription system works and post an explanation somewhere. :D
Mithrandir

Postby Atria35 » Tue Dec 04, 2012 7:59 am

I'm noticing that on the main page, the titles of threads aren't showing up on certain sections (for insteance, the Manga section - I can see *who* made the last post, but it doesn't show what thread it was made in).
Atria35

Postby Mithrandir » Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:19 am

That's... really weird. When we upgraded the board, we did consolidate a few forums. As a result, it's possible the "latest thread" in a forum wasn't actually a part of that forum when the "latest post" links were generated. Let me try to resync a few of these forums and see if that helps.
Mithrandir

Postby Atria35 » Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:28 am

Man, I feel badly bringing this one up, but for PM's (I just recieved one) the text and background are the same color. Is there a way to fix this? Or is that a skin issue?
Atria35

Postby Mithrandir » Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:31 am

We're classifying this one as a skin issue. There's something broken in the CSS we inherited from the original code of phpBB, which we've heavily (but obviously not thoroughly) modified.

Please don't feel bad about reporting stuff; the sooner we know about 'em, the sooner we can fix 'em!
Mithrandir

Postby TopazRaven » Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:16 am

Wow, I've been away for the site for a few days and I come back to a really major upgrade. I just got on so I haven't noticed any problems yet, but I just wanted stop by and thank all the mods for your very hard work. Great job guys, I really like the new look!
TopazRaven

Postby Xeno » Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:19 am

Regular users have access to a list of at least 54 banned users. User CP > Usergroups > Normal Banned Member
Xeno

Postby DaughterOfZion » Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:34 am

In reference to what Atria said about the thread titles not showing up, from what I can tell from observation, until someone else posts in a section after this uprgrade, no title will appear, once someone makes a post post-upgrade the title of the thread will show up.
DaughterOfZion

Postby samurai10 » Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:53 pm

I like the new upgrade! It's lookin' shnazzy. ^_^ The fact that the avatars are on the right is a bit disconcerting, but I'll get used to it.

Besides that. Are absolutely ALL the RPs that aren't there anymore gone gone gone? 'Cause there's a few missing, namely Lucid Dreams which had at least 13 pages... I know that ac put a lot of work into it which is why I'm asking...

There's a color code for the PMs, but none of them are color coded.

The multi-quote button doesn't exist anymore?

So, now we can have 300 PMs in our inbox, and 300 PMs in our sent box?
samurai10

Location: You're crazy if you think I'll tell you where I live.

Postby Atria35 » Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:24 pm

DaughterOfZion wrote:In reference to what Atria said about the thread titles not showing up, from what I can tell from observation, until someone else posts in a section after this uprgrade, no title will appear, once someone makes a post post-upgrade the title of the thread will show up.

Yes and no. I tested that out with the Manga section - while the title of the thread now shows up, the icon showing there's new posts in that section didn't turn red. I'm also seeing a few thread titles in the index that just start out "Re:",
Atria35

Postby Xeno » Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:37 pm

Apparently if you delete the thread title from your reply message it'll make it appear that way on the index.

Edit: Just tested it. My response here has no subject like previous replies do. The index shows I've made a response but it doesn't show the thread title.
Xeno

Postby TheMewster » Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:40 pm

Xeno wrote:PM's that were transferred over from the old system duplicated in my inbox and sent box, I went from having 104 messages saved to 208. Also, the PM box is now capped at 50 messages.

I had the same issue, at least in the inbox. I tried deleting all the duplicates and it wiped out my whole inbox. Haven't bothered with my sent box. Oh well, a new server means a fresh start! :grin:

I also really like the new theme on the desktop, except for the fact that it takes more effort to tell which threads have new posts. Haven't visited on my phone and with the new animated thread with new post icons, I'm afraid it would slow it down.

And to those whose signatures aren't showing up, just resubmit it. I made a new signature and I can see it on one of my posts now.

For me, both chat and the chatbot work.

To all the hard-working CAA staff, :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:.
TheMewster

Postby mechana2015 » Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:44 pm

TheMewster wrote:I also really like the new theme on the desktop, except for the fact that it takes more effort to tell which threads have new posts. Haven't visited on my phone and with the new animated thread with new post icons, I'm afraid it would slow it down.

The new post Icons will not remain animated.
mechana2015

Postby TheMewster » Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:56 pm

I tested the site on my phone and it worked fine. Should have edited my post about that but forgot. Sorry.

By the way, CAA now lets us have animated avatars. I posted an animated avatar but regretted using that avatar, so I changed it to my cool Christmas one. You may want to make a rule about animated avatars and sigs to preserve CAA's accessibility to older computers like mine.
TheMewster

Postby Okami » Tue Dec 04, 2012 6:35 pm

TheMewster wrote:
By the way, CAA now lets us have animated avatars.

I'm jumping on this opportunity while I have it. I've wanted to use this avatar for YEARS. :D
Okami

Postby Davidizer13 » Tue Dec 04, 2012 6:56 pm

TheMewster wrote:
By the way, CAA now lets us have animated avatars.

Time to run this privilege into the ground!

Edit: Well, maybe once I find one small enough. Seems like the new system's a lot less flexible about resizing things for you.
Davidizer13

Previous Next

Return to Announcements and Feedback