Review Requests

The real heart of CAA; discuss specific series, issues, and things related to anime here.

Postby SierraLea » Sun Apr 29, 2012 8:56 pm

Would someone do a review on Fullmetal Alchemist The Conqueror of Shamballa?
That would be awesome.
SierraLea

Postby J.D3 » Wed May 02, 2012 7:07 am

Yo! Could somebody review a series called "Blackcat"?

I tried doing the initial step late last year (finding links, writing synopsis, etc.) but silly me forgot to save it before it timed out!

Wrote a killer synopsis & preliminary info on it too! :bang:
Mack: Did I hear God call me an idiot?
God: *shrugs* If the shoe fits, honey. Yes sir, if the shoe fits...
The Shack, William P. Young

J.D3

Postby mechana2015 » Wed May 02, 2012 5:37 pm

http://www.christiananime.net/showthread.php?t=62314 might be able to help with requests.

My Deviantart
"MOES. I can has Sane Sig now?"
mechana2015

Postby softsubs » Fri May 18, 2012 9:36 am

goldenspines (post: 1548645) wrote:So! I encourage all who have seen Guilty Crown to take a few minutes of your time to rate/review it please! ^__^

Can you give me any tips on rating the objectionable content of a series (in general, not just this one)? I'm nitpicking with myself over what numbers to choose, and what catagory some stuff would be in. :fmed:
I'm also afraid that when I like a show I might downplay the objectionable content.

And can I add a review later after rating it, and can I later change a 0 rating?
softsubs

Postby FllMtl Novelist » Fri May 18, 2012 10:18 am

softsubs (post: 1559037) wrote:Can you give me any tips on rating the objectionable content of a series (in general, not just this one)? I'm nitpicking with myself over what numbers to choose, and what catagory some stuff would be in. :fmed:
I'm also afraid that when I like a show I might downplay the objectionable content.

And can I add a review later after rating it, and can I later change a 0 rating?

For numbers and rating, there's a guide here. All or most of that information is also repeated on the page you enter ratings on.

If you're worried about downplaying content, let the review sit for a day or two before posting it. (Save it temporarily to a word document on your computer, if convenient, or email it to yourself.) When you read it over again, try to remove your opinion from what you say. Cut out phrases like "it's really not offensive" or "you soon forget it". Instead say "it's played as inoffensively as possible" or "it's not the focus of the scene"--but only if it's true.

For your last question: yes. Click on the title you reviewed, and below "About these ratings" there's a button to edit your rating/review.
Hats wrote:"Frodo! Cast off your [s]sins[/s] into the fire!"

EllaEdric 06:53 -IM SO UNEQUIPPED TO BE A MAN ITS NOT EVEN FUNNY.
FllMtl Novelist

Postby MomentOfInertia » Sun May 20, 2012 7:03 pm

Not really a review request per se, but the entries for Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex are inconsistent between the seasons. the first is listed as "Stand Alone Complex" and the second as "S.A.C. 2nd GIG."

I'd like to request that 2nd GIG be changed to "Stand Alone Complex 2nd GIG"

I wouldn't make an issue of this but the way it is now puts 2nd GIG first in the A-Z list.
MAL - CAA MAL club - Avatar from Hyouka
"DaughterOfZion 06:19 - forget love, fudge conquers all. xD"
"Written assignments are never finished, only due." -me
-Speak not unless you can improve the silence.-
MOES: Members Observing Efficient Sigs
MomentOfInertia

Postby J.D3 » Mon Jul 09, 2012 5:07 am

Just put in a suggestion for "Porco Rosso" (film)! :thumb:

Also got a review all set to go for it too, if it gets through :sweat:

J.D3

Postby J.D3 » Mon Jul 30, 2012 1:16 am

Just re-submitted my suggestion for "Porco Rosso".

I upped the Suitable Age from 10+ to 12+, and got rid of the non-romaji characters in the Japanese Title (realised Romaji was preferred!)

EDIT: Snap! Had to re-submit again, this time correcting an accentuation on on word which the site didn't like! :S Lesson learnt, always double-check before submitting! ;)

J.D3

Postby goldenspines » Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:24 am

While it is appreciated when someone takes the time to make the submitted title more accurate, submitting the title again sadly won't automatically update the already existing title. In the future, feel free to PM me and I'll make the appropriate changes (especially if you were originally the one to submit that title into the system).

Also, two other things.

- Actually, in my opinion, I love having the Japanese characters in there, but it's helpful to have the romaji as well. Therefore, don't consider it a huge deal if you do have the Japanese characters in there, because if you don't, I might add them anyways.

- Did you happen to submit a review for one of the two submissions you made? I can see a review you made for Porco Rosso (via your name on the Contributor's List), but not by clicking on the actually entry already made for Porco Rosso that is currently in the system, since I have not approved your other two yet.
goldenspines

Postby J.D3 » Thu Aug 02, 2012 4:35 am

goldenspines (post: 1579694) wrote:While it is appreciated when someone takes the time to make the submitted title more accurate, submitting the title again sadly won't automatically update the already existing title. In the future, feel free to PM me and I'll make the appropriate changes (especially if you were originally the one to submit that title into the system).

Also, two other things.

- Actually, in my opinion, I love having the Japanese characters in there, but it's helpful to have the romaji as well. Therefore, don't consider it a huge deal if you do have the Japanese characters in there, because if you don't, I might add them anyways.

- Did you happen to submit a review for one of the two submissions you made? I can see a review you made for Porco Rosso (via your name on the Contributor's List), but not by clicking on the actually entry already made for Porco Rosso that is currently in the system, since I have not approved your other two yet.

Just PM'd ya now! :)

J.D3

Postby J.D3 » Sun Aug 19, 2012 1:42 am

Rofl, me again! Just submitted a Suggestion for series "Star Ocean EX" :thumbsup:

J.D3

Reviewing streams?

Postby skreyola » Thu Sep 27, 2012 1:52 pm

So, I came to this site because of the way I watch anime. I am sadly unable to afford buying unseen media, so I watch everything I can through the streaming site, Hulu. They have a pretty good selection, not the latest and greatest, or the things I hear people talk a lot about, usually, but much better variety than other places. Unfortunately, there's quite a variety of content in what they have, and a lot of it is ecchi stuff I don't want to see. So, when I see a new or unfamiliar title, I search for a Christian review on it, and I kept ending up here.
My question is this: In one of the submission guidelines, it says we aren't supposed to review TV versions of an anime, and one of the distributors is mentioned, but I don't know, usually, what sort of version I'm getting on Hulu. I have noticed that a lot of the shows there are not in the review database. Am I going to be unable to give back to this community by reviewing some of the 100+ shows I've seen over the past 3 years because I don't own the DVDs? To put it another way, are the reviews aimed solely at buyers and not at people like me who consume anime through streaming services?
Can I review these? And if so, what special guidance do I need?
Thanks for all you do, reviewers.
skreyola

Postby rocklobster » Thu Sep 27, 2012 1:58 pm

yeah, you can use Hulu. I use it all the time. I can't afford DVD's most of the time either. You can also use Crunchy Roll.
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you. I appointed you to be a prophet of all nations."
--Jeremiah 1:5
Hit me up on social media!
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100007205508246<--Facebook

I'm also on Amino as Radical Edward, and on Reddit as Rocklobster as well.

click here for my playlist!
my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby Atria35 » Thu Sep 27, 2012 2:22 pm

skreyola (post: 1590811) wrote:So, I came to this site because of the way I watch anime. I am sadly unable to afford buying unseen media, so I watch everything I can through the streaming site, Hulu. They have a pretty good selection, not the latest and greatest, or the things I hear people talk a lot about, usually, but much better variety than other places. Unfortunately, there's quite a variety of content in what they have, and a lot of it is ecchi stuff I don't want to see. So, when I see a new or unfamiliar title, I search for a Christian review on it, and I kept ending up here.
My question is this: In one of the submission guidelines, it says we aren't supposed to review TV versions of an anime, and one of the distributors is mentioned, but I don't know, usually, what sort of version I'm getting on Hulu. I have noticed that a lot of the shows there are not in the review database. Am I going to be unable to give back to this community by reviewing some of the 100+ shows I've seen over the past 3 years because I don't own the DVDs? To put it another way, are the reviews aimed solely at buyers and not at people like me who consume anime through streaming services?

I don't see why you couldn't - many of us have done it that way. I think it's safe to say that the vast majority of us are streamers. You'll probably need to note in your review that what you saw the official streaming version, so that if there are discrepancies between the DVD and streaming versions, they'll be accounted for.

And as Rocky noted, if you're using Hulu then you're obiouvsly in the US, and there are several other legal streaming sites such as Crunchyroll, the Funimation site, Viz media, which all have free streaming in addition to the paid subscriptions (paying only means you get the streaming sans ads and see the newest episodes earlier than the free members).
Atria35

Postby goldenspines » Thu Sep 27, 2012 6:02 pm

skreyola (post: 1590811) wrote:So, I came to this site because of the way I watch anime. I am sadly unable to afford buying unseen media, so I watch everything I can through the streaming site, Hulu. They have a pretty good selection, not the latest and greatest, or the things I hear people talk a lot about, usually, but much better variety than other places. Unfortunately, there's quite a variety of content in what they have, and a lot of it is ecchi stuff I don't want to see. So, when I see a new or unfamiliar title, I search for a Christian review on it, and I kept ending up here.
Oh wow, I don't even remember that being in the submission guidelines. Probably need to update those.
Back when we first created the reviews system (2003 or something), streaming sites were not that popular (if many of them existed at all). Thus, the two ways for people to watch anime were either on TV or on video/DVD.
Since it would appear on TV, the former tended to be edited for mature content. Thus if there was a review by someone who had only seen the TV version and someone buys the DVD (not filtered) version....they may get some "unexpected" content.
Thus, the rule was made for that reason.

But now! Most anime on streaming sites is not filtered like the TV versions were (though some is, but it's not too common). Thus, reviewing an anime that you've only seen streamed is perfectly fine. In fact, most reviews posted by members are done with only have watched online streams of the shows.

Apologies for the confusion. I'll add editing the review submitting guidelines to my never-ending list of things to finish. XD;

I look forward to seeing review from you! Though, bear in mind that there is a post limit you need to reach before you can post reviews and submit titles. But don't worry, you will reach it soon. ^__^
goldenspines

Yay! I can be useful here. :)

Postby skreyola » Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:05 pm

goldenspines (post: 1590851) wrote:Most anime on streaming sites is not filtered like the TV versions were (though some is, but it's not too common).
[...]
I look forward to seeing review from you! Though, bear in mind that there is a post limit you need to reach before you can post reviews and submit titles. But don't worry, you will reach it soon. ^__^

Thank you all for the replies.
Yes, I figured they were close to what you might get on the DVD. I've only seen one (Eden of the East) that I could tell they'd censored it, and I had an unpleasant surprise with ROD the TV, so I figured they usually weren't.

I'll try to start putting some notes together. Is there anywhere an up-to-date list of requests so I can try to review the ones I've seen that people want first?
skreyola

Postby Atria35 » Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:57 pm

skreyola (post: 1590870) wrote:I'll try to start putting some notes together. Is there anywhere an up-to-date list of requests so I can try to review the ones I've seen that people want first?

There isn't an updated list anywhere, really. It's rather a free-for-all on what you'd like to review (though titles in the system that have *no* reviews that you have seen would be welcome!). Whatever you do, if there's a title you want to review, then first you'll need to submit it if it's not already in the system.

I, myself, try to get some out there for lesser-known titles because I know I'll probably be the only person who even puts it into the system, let alone write a review for it!
Atria35

Postby SierraLea » Sun Oct 07, 2012 4:29 pm

Has anyone written a review for The Secret World of Arriety yet?
"I tell you, if they keep quiet, the stones will cry out." (Luke 19:37-40).
Exceptionally Ordinary
"No one ever made a difference by being like everyone else." P.T.Barnam
SierraLea

Postby skreyola » Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:03 pm

I tried to submit a review tonight and got an error. The error page said to PM OldPhil with the error dump, but the PM system says that user doesn't exist. Who should get the PM?

Also, how do I know if I have enough posts to review?
skreyola

Postby mechana2015 » Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:09 pm

PM would be to Mithrandir, and yes, I believe you have enough.

This was in the system you're linked to at the top of the page right?

My Deviantart
"MOES. I can has Sane Sig now?"
mechana2015

Postby skreyola » Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:48 pm

mechana2015 (post: 1592699) wrote:PM would be to Mithrandir, and yes, I believe you have enough.

This was in the system you're linked to at the top of the page right?

Thank you very much.

Yes.
skreyola

Postby eightluvver888 » Sun Oct 14, 2012 2:53 pm

Not entirely sure where I should put this, but just pointing out that Hikaru no Go is in the anime review section twice. :)
eightluvver888

Postby goldenspines » Sun Oct 14, 2012 3:42 pm

eightluvver888 (post: 1593100) wrote:Not entirely sure where I should put this, but just pointing out that Hikaru no Go is in the anime review section twice. :)
All issues like this involving the reviews system can be PMed to me.

But thanks for catching this! I must have missed it before. Edited. ^_^
goldenspines

Postby J.D3 » Sat Nov 03, 2012 10:27 pm

Finally put something down ratings-wise for Star Ocean EX. No personal review (no time!), but got some content ratings/comments down for it so it's at least somewhat useful now! :thumb:

J.D3

Postby skreyola » Fri Nov 23, 2012 9:01 pm

I was deciding what to watch next and checked the reviews section. I have noticed that a number of shows have 0 reviews. So, I thought other reviewers might be interested in this information, and I've already organized it for my own use, so here it is, ordered by (I think) how many times people have looked to see if each title had a rating:

Title -- # of hits (popularity?) -- date added
Black Blood Brothers 132 December 19, 2011
Skip Beat! 101 November 07, 2011
Welcome to the NHK! 89 December 20, 2011
Paradise Kiss 88 October 04, 2011
Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt 88 May 15, 2012
Sailor Moon 87 May 08, 2012
Ghost Hound 77 October 05, 2011
Technolyze 74 December 20, 2011
Oreimo (My Little Sister Can't Be This Cute) 68 May 01, 2012
xxxHOLiC 68 June 03, 2012
Kikaider 60 July 29, 2011
Ayakashi: Japanese Classic Horror 57 October 05, 2011
Legend of the Galactic Heroes 55 December 20, 2011
801 TTS Airbats 53 July 29, 2011
Nagasarete Airantou (Drift off to Blue Orchid Isla... 53 August 01, 2011
Casshern Sins 51 May 25, 2012
Boogiepop wa Warawanai: Boogiepop Phantom 50 May 08, 2012
Revolutionary Girl Utena 50 March 19, 2012
Barefoot Gen 49 March 14, 2012
Student Council's Discretion 49 August 01, 2011
Mobile Fighter G Gundam 45 January 29, 2012
NANA 44 May 03, 2012
AD Police Files (OAV) 41 July 29, 2011
Hellsing: Ultimate (OAV) 39 June 09, 2012
AD Police: To Protect and Serve 39 July 29, 2011
Persona 4: The Animation 35 May 08, 2012
Busou Renkin 35 May 04, 2012
Heart 35 May 02, 2012
His and Her Circumstances 35 April 26, 2012
Bokurano 33 May 08, 2012
Night Raid 1931 33 May 08, 2012 Reviewed 12/5/12
Matchless Raijin-Oh 32 July 29, 2011
Figure 17 30 May 03, 2012
The Sky Crawlers 30 May 03, 2012
Nisemonogatari 29 May 08, 2012
Bannertail: The Story of Gray Squirrel 28 May 08, 2012
Zegapain 26 May 08, 2012
Le Portrait de Petit Cossette 25 May 08, 2012
Mouryou no Hako 25 May 08, 2012
Nadia- The Secret of Blue Water 24 July 27, 2012
Aru Tabibito no Nikki (The Diary of Tortov Roddle) 23 May 08, 2012
Speed Grapher 22 May 03, 2012
A Piece of Phantasmagoria 22 May 02, 2012
Bavel's book 20 May 13, 2012
Infinite Ryvius 20 May 08, 2012
Shigurui: Death Frenzy 18 May 03, 2012
Lagrange - The Flower of Rin-ne 17 May 08, 2012
Pretty Rhythm: Aurora Dream 17 May 04, 2012
Those Obnoxious Aliens 17 August 16, 2012
Strain: Strategic Armored Infantry 16 May 08, 2012
Kyousougiga (ONA) 15 May 08, 2012
Ozma 13 May 03, 2012 Reviewed 13/6/04
Patlabor 2: The Movie 12 May 08, 2012
Thermae Romae 11 May 10, 2012
Royal Space Force - The Wings of Honnêamise 9 May 13, 2012
Medaka Box 8 October 19, 2012
La Maison en Petits Cubes 8 May 08, 2012
Key the Metal Idol 7 May 13, 2012
Space Brothers 7 April 16, 2012
Last edited by skreyola on Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
skreyola

Re: Review Requests

Postby MightiMidget » Wed Dec 26, 2012 2:59 pm

I wrote a quick blurb for Oreimo trying to hit all the main points. It's not super detailed, but it's something? :/
MightiMidget

Postby goldenspines » Wed Dec 26, 2012 5:21 pm

Thanks for writing a review, MightiMidget! Tell me, did your review show up all right? It has come to my attention that usernames are currently not showing up by the reviews, but I want to make sure your review actually showed up since currently it looks like title submissions are NOT showing up in the reviews section. :\

I'll try to get this sorted as soon as possible, but it may be a while since it's around the holiday season and a bit hard to get a hold of The Wizard.
goldenspines

Postby skreyola » Wed Dec 26, 2012 6:47 pm

MightiMidget: Thank you for writing a review. I couldn't do it, because I can't find the episodes past No. 12. It really is an interesting show in that, despite the subject matter of the plot, what I've seen of it is almost entirely clean.
goldenspines: The new review shows for me. However, if you're talking about new titles, that title (and all the others on my list) was already in the review DB.
"Click click click. Still defective."
MAL: Manga List
Anime List
skreyola

Postby MightiMidget » Fri Dec 28, 2012 2:02 pm

goldenspines wrote:Thanks for writing a review, MightiMidget! Tell me, did your review show up all right? It has come to my attention that usernames are currently not showing up by the reviews, but I want to make sure your review actually showed up since currently it looks like title submissions are NOT showing up in the reviews section. :\

I'll try to get this sorted as soon as possible, but it may be a while since it's around the holiday season and a bit hard to get a hold of The Wizard.

My username did not show up with my submission, by my actual review did and I didn't have any problems with it.

One note, though, is that there is a lot of code showing up around the reviews section, and you cannot change how the columns are organized past the first page. (<-- Horrible explanation. If you organize it by # of hits, it will recategorize the first page, but when you click the next page it goes back to being organized by title)

It also seems my title suggestion privileges have been revoked? ... I mention this here, not in PM, solely because I'm not sure if that's one of the overall glitches for everyone or if I did do something bad. O_O
MightiMidget

Postby goldenspines » Fri Dec 28, 2012 2:29 pm

MightiMidget wrote: My username did not show up with my submission, by my actual review did and I didn't have any problems with it.
Okay, this is what I was wondering and it seems you are experiencing it as well.

One note, though, is that there is a lot of code showing up around the reviews section, and you cannot change how the columns are organized past the first page. (<-- Horrible explanation. If you organize it by # of hits, it will recategorize the first page, but when you click the next page it goes back to being organized by title)
Someone else recently noted some other code bugs showing up as well, but I hadn't heard about this yet. Thanks for noting this!

It also seems my title suggestion privileges have been revoked? ... I mention this here, not in PM, solely because I'm not sure if that's one of the overall glitches for everyone or if I did do something bad. O_O
Revoked? O: How so? Will it just not let you submit a title? (if you get an error, can you screencap/copy and paste it to me in PM?)
I only recently discovered the issue that members could submit titles, but after I approve them, the new titles don't show up. That's the main error we're trying to fix.
goldenspines

Previous Next

Return to Anime and Anime Reviews