Elfen Lied...

The real heart of CAA; discuss specific series, issues, and things related to anime here.

Elfen Lied...

Postby Jigzy » Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:12 am

So I have never watched any Anime as horrible as this one in my entire life, my very first bloody, gory type Anime, but it looked so interesting that I just had to watch it. Whew! It was SO SCARY! I am not going to watch anymore Anime in this genre again for a while unless it doesn't have that many episodes like this one did or I see some characters in it that like. For example Lucy I thought she was very cute and it made me wanna watch it. So this is just really my very least favorite Anime genre of all. So has anyone of you ever watched this Anime? But the main question I really have is how do you even pronounce this Anime title? I know how to say "Elfen" but I had always thought that you pronounced "Lied" like when you say that you lied to someone. Is that really how you pronounce it or is it pronounced like "lead" like to lead a chorus or is it pronounced like "Lee-ed"?
Jigzy

Postby uc pseudonym » Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:32 am

It'd probably be "lead" as in chorus, given that it's German.

I thought the anime lacked most of what made the manga interesting, and I wasn't a huge fan of the manga.
uc pseudonym

Postby Falx » Tue Oct 16, 2012 2:55 am

uc pseudonym (post: 1593286) wrote:It'd probably be "lead" as in chorus, given that it's German.

I thought the anime lacked most of what made the manga interesting, and I wasn't a huge fan of the manga.

It's "leed" but the "ee" sound is a bit shorter. It means song.

http://translate.google.co.za/?hl=en&tab=wT#de/en/lied

You can use the speaker button to hear the pronunciation.
Blessed be the LORD my strength which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:
My goodness, and my fortress; my high tower, and my deliverer; my shield, and he in whom I trust; who subdueth my people under me.

神はそのひとり子を賜わったほどに、この世を愛して下さった。それは御子を信じる者がひとりも滅びないで、永遠の命を得るためである.

My MAL Profile. Please check out my Dad's Christian eBook on Facebook.
Falx

Postby GeneD » Tue Oct 16, 2012 2:59 am

As best as I can describe it: the "ie" sound is a short i sound like the "y" in "city" and the "t" is a hard t like the "t" in "tick".

EDIT: Or just follow Falx's link.
I don't know what broke to make you like this, but I must be broken too if I'm standing here praising your destructiveness. -Rock (Black Lagoon)

As I had encountered kindness, I wanted to be kind myself. -Takashi Natsume (Natsume's Book of Friends)

MAL
Twitter
MOES: Promoting sane sigs.
GeneD

Postby Falx » Tue Oct 16, 2012 3:04 am

GeneD (post: 1593289) wrote:As best as I can describe it: the "ie" sound is a short i sound like the "y" in "city" and the "t" is a hard t like the "t" in "tick".

Or just follow Falx's link.

Also here's a link to my thoughts on the series.
Blessed be the LORD my strength which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:
My goodness, and my fortress; my high tower, and my deliverer; my shield, and he in whom I trust; who subdueth my people under me.

神はそのひとり子を賜わったほどに、この世を愛して下さった。それは御子を信じる者がひとりも滅びないで、永遠の命を得るためである.

My MAL Profile. Please check out my Dad's Christian eBook on Facebook.
Falx

Postby goldenspines » Tue Oct 16, 2012 5:40 am

Falx (post: 1593288) wrote:It's "leed" but the "ee" sound is a bit shorter. It means song.

http://translate.google.co.za/?hl=en&tab=wT#de/en/lied

You can use the speaker button to hear the pronunciation.
This.

I sadly couldn't find the speaker in order to hear the German pronunciation, but I'm going to assume (from GeneD's post) that the Japanese pronunciation interpreted it well from the German. The Japanese spell it as "Ri-to". ("Leat") Though, since "to" can often sound like "do", a lot of people think it's "Ri-do" ("Lead") when they hear it.

Note: R's in Japanese sound like a mix of L and R (more like L, actually), hence my weird spelling switches while trying to be accurate.
goldenspines

Postby KnightOfFive » Tue Oct 16, 2012 6:14 am

Well certainly can't blame you for that reaction. I mean the series is jarringly and gratuitously gruesome (The Manga is even worse in that respect from what I hear) and Lucy, well let's face it she's a mass murderer protagonist who butchered a little girl simply because said girl's brother lied to her. And the real kicker? She's not even (necessarily) the worst monster in the series(contending with a rapist/sadist scientist and a sadistic soldier). And Kouta's little more than a bland covert pervert. Not really much to like their either. Not really a loveable cast.

Except for Nana of course:n_n: Gotta love Nana.
Most warriors would find it beneath them to attack a girl. Especially when she wasn't looking. No person with any honor or pride would ever do such a thing. I bid you farewell and good riddance. You're not even worth lamenting.-Uryu Ishida
KnightOfFive

Postby Maokun » Tue Oct 16, 2012 6:53 am

If you'd like a series with slightly similar themes and treatment but much, much less gruesome, try Mahoromatic. :)

[font="Tahoma"][SIZE="1"][color="YellowGreen"]There is no point to lessons that don't bring with them pain. People cannot gain anything without sacrificing something, after all.
But once you have successfully endured that pain you will gain a heart that's stout enough not be overcome by anything. Yeah, a heart made fullmetal. [/color]
-Edward Elric[/SIZE][/font]
Maokun

Postby KnightOfFive » Tue Oct 16, 2012 7:12 am

I second the notion.
Most warriors would find it beneath them to attack a girl. Especially when she wasn't looking. No person with any honor or pride would ever do such a thing. I bid you farewell and good riddance. You're not even worth lamenting.-Uryu Ishida
KnightOfFive

Postby KnightOfFive » Tue Oct 16, 2012 7:24 am

If only because of Mahoro.
KnightOfFive

Postby Jigzy » Tue Oct 16, 2012 6:06 pm

So then "Lied" is suppose to be pronounced like "Leat" not "Lead"?
Jigzy

Postby KnightOfFive » Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:39 am

KnightOfFive

Postby HetalianKatana4 » Wed Oct 17, 2012 2:31 pm

I have heard from a friend about this anime and she only watched the first episode due to violence...and she's a horror movie fan! Anime I think goes on a different level of gorey and violence though. It can get deep. I've seen pictures of Lucy and let me tell you, seeing the disturbing difference between her sweet self and murderous self is utterly...well, disturbing lol I have watched a different horror anime called "Another". I'm not a horror fan at all but I read about the plot and couldn't resist. Kinda scarred after seeing a guy slash himself with a kitchen knife and a girl getting stabbed in the neck with an umbrella but the story was awesome. I loved the mystery behind it plus I loved the main guy and girl :) Would watch it again but I don't want to watch the gore all over again
"Even when a girl is as shy as a mouse, you still have to beware of the tiger within."- random Chinese proverb

My YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/BleachBlue04?feature=mhee

My FanFiction account:
https://m.fanfiction.net/u/4095232
HetalianKatana4

Location: Either in Narnia, Soul Society, or America...I'm indecisive :P

Postby Jigzy » Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:12 pm

HetalianKatana4 (post: 1593452) wrote:I have heard from a friend about this anime and she only watched the first episode due to violence...and she's a horror movie fan! Anime I think goes on a different level of gorey and violence though. It can get deep. I've seen pictures of Lucy and let me tell you, seeing the disturbing difference between her sweet self and murderous self is utterly...well, disturbing lol I have watched a different horror anime called "Another". I'm not a horror fan at all but I read about the plot and couldn't resist. Kinda scarred after seeing a guy slash himself with a kitchen knife and a girl getting stabbed in the neck with an umbrella but the story was awesome. I loved the mystery behind it plus I loved the main guy and girl :) Would watch it again but I don't want to watch the gore all over again

I absolutely do not like or watch any horror movies at all and so anyone who knows me really well would be surprised that I even watched such a horrible Anime as Elfen Lied because this is just so not like me, seriously. Elfen Lied was even worse then that Anime. People getting their head blasted off and their body blasted up into pieces with blood bursting out, even their hearts and bones. I have to admit that Lucy is a very interesting character and I love her innocent side but dislike the evil Lucy and it was very sad when she killed Kouta's sister and dad. I enjoyed all the innocent parts so much though. Thats exactly how I felt about Elfen Lied. I looked it up and read about it and so many people were telling me to watch it. So I just had to or it would had kept bothering me. I'm not so sure at all I'll ever watch Elfen Lied again although it was pretty interesting but TOTALLY and INSANELY scary and heart breaking close to the end when he realized that she was the one who killed his sister and dad ;-;
Jigzy

Postby Jigzy » Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:21 pm

Jigzy

Postby KnightOfFive » Thu Oct 18, 2012 7:39 am

Nyu is cute and an understandable draw for the series, I don't consider it a "stupid" reason to watch. That being said, the amnesic "innocence is horribly subverted by her main personality and her insane personality. At the core of it Lucy/Nyu/Kaede whatver you like to call her wasn't much of an innocent in contrast to say... Nana.

Nana is an interesting case of persisting innocence. She's been tortured, experimented on, and later on sliced apart and she never once loses her morality or value for human life. The only reason she didn't defeat Lucy is because she didn't want to hurt her while Lucy had no such compunctions.

Honestly if Nana had been the main protagonist the series would have been more enjoyable(or at least a lot less bloody).
KnightOfFive

Postby Nate » Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:54 am

Maokun wrote:If you'd like a series with slightly similar themes and treatment but much, much less gruesome, try Mahoromatic. :)

I love Mahoromatic to death but honestly most people on this site wouldn't watch past the first couple of episodes because of the nudity.

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby Maokun » Thu Oct 18, 2012 3:05 pm

I sure hope not. I may be forgetting some but I didn't think it was excessive nor disturbing. Just classic fanservice fare for series of the turn of the millennium.

[font="Tahoma"][SIZE="1"][color="YellowGreen"]There is no point to lessons that don't bring with them pain. People cannot gain anything without sacrificing something, after all.
But once you have successfully endured that pain you will gain a heart that's stout enough not be overcome by anything. Yeah, a heart made fullmetal. [/color]
-Edward Elric[/SIZE][/font]
Maokun

Postby Nate » Thu Oct 18, 2012 7:15 pm

The nudity wasn't really disturbing but there's plenty of people who would classify it as excessive I guess, there's enough who would classify even like five seconds of nudity as excessive so oh well.

Oh and don't forget the teacher who's trying to have sex with the main character. That's played for laughs too but some people might not like it.

Look I'm on your side I love Mahoromatic so much it is really a fantastic show. But you've gotta figure on a site like this people aren't gonna take kindly to some fanservice and a closing song singing about boobs.

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby Vega » Sun Oct 21, 2012 11:40 am

Well, this is from the perspective of someone who's seen a lot worse than Elfen lied. In the grand scheme of things this is nothing compared to some stuff thats out there. Many could attest to that. From what I've seen the nudity wasn't too excessive and the violence was, as a whole, aiding to the overall feels of particular scenes.

But I agree that the anime lacked quite a bit in comparison to its manga equivalent
The mind is so complex when your based. 32 levels. Welcome to my world. --Lil B
I'm not guna let anything take the love from my heart, the love of life and spreading peace and positive, thank you earth I'm alive. --Lil B
Swag like I'm marrow, in my bones. Swag in my bones. Bone Marrow Swag. -- Lil B
Shouts out to Lil B "The Based God".
Vega

Return to Anime and Anime Reviews