I'm introducing my friend to anime...

The real heart of CAA; discuss specific series, issues, and things related to anime here.

I'm introducing my friend to anime...

Postby airichan623 » Thu Sep 13, 2012 5:49 pm

...and I need advice?

See, I know a lot of great series I'm just trying to find the really good "gateway drugs."

She's a...she, and is already a fan of Avatar: the Last Airbender. PS. Miyazaki's are a given.

What I'm considering:

Summer Wars
Ouran Host Club
Fruit's Basket
Full Metal Panic (original or Fumoffu?)
Code Geass
Birdy the Mighty: Decode
FMA (if we have time)

I'm also trying to keep it to 26 episodes or less. Is there any other great gateways I'm missing? Well-Dubbed ones are preferable.

Little help guys? (I know we have a recommendation thread, but I would like it quicker).

[color="Magenta"][SIZE="4"]愛理ちゃん六二三[/SIZE][/color]

DeviantArt[color="DeepSkyBlue"]~[/color]MAL[color="DeepSkyBlue"]~[/color]Tumblr
airichan623

Postby Atria35 » Thu Sep 13, 2012 6:15 pm

Honestly, if she's a fan of Avatar, I'd skip all of those and go with Seirei no Moribito. Not only does it have the 'bridging between the spiritual and real worlds' thing, but it has great characters, some good action, has some of the more slice-of-life that goes on in Avatar's more laid-back episodes, and definitely isn't more than a PG-13 rating.

The dub is adequete. Not my favorite, but since the show has all the elements that I would look for if someone likes Avatar, I'd be able to forgive.

The other one I'd choose is Magic Knight Rayearth. It's older, but has three girls with the powers of the elements saving a fantasy world. Good show, good action, great characters, and some romance on the side.

Summer Wars is fantastic and fun but obviously nothing like Avatar. But I think it's a good one that she could easily enjoy.

Fruits Basket is a fairly solid choice, drawing on the idea of different animals (could be likened to the lements) and the oppresion of the families could be likened to the oppression of the Fire Nation.

If she's into sci-fi, Birdy would be a good choice. But it does draw on classic sci-fi tropes, so that is something to keep in mind. If she's not into sci-fi, don't bother.

Ouran Host Club works best with someone who's familiar with the shoujo genre. Those who aren't might like it, but the full parody effect is lost. Code Geass is waaay different from Avatar, so unless there's something else like it that she likes, just cross it off your list for now. FMP! is startling for someone who's not familiar with tsunderes or several other anime tropes. Tried it on my brother and a friend, both were too disconcerted to like it.
Atria35

Postby Mr. Hat'n'Clogs » Thu Sep 13, 2012 6:19 pm

If she's into sci-fi stuff, Dennou Coil should be a pretty good shot. Show it if she loves the Mamoru Hosoda movies. Birdy is also probably a good pick. If she likes hammy over the top action, Sengoku Basara would also be a good one, though there is a little fanservice.
Mr. Hat'n'Clogs

Postby Maokun » Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:18 pm

Applauding and seconding the suggestion of Magic Knight Rayearth.

Also, I might be wrong on this but I believe that as a girl, new to anime, your friend will find easier to identify with Makoto from The Girl Who Leapt Through Time than with Summer Wars's Kenji. I mean, do show her Summer Wars but after TGWLTT [SIZE="1"][color="Gray"](which is the better movie anyway *coughs*)[/color][/SIZE]

[font="Tahoma"][SIZE="1"][color="YellowGreen"]There is no point to lessons that don't bring with them pain. People cannot gain anything without sacrificing something, after all.
But once you have successfully endured that pain you will gain a heart that's stout enough not be overcome by anything. Yeah, a heart made fullmetal. [/color]
-Edward Elric[/SIZE][/font]
Maokun

Postby Falx » Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:55 pm

You could also help us narrow it down by listing other stuff she likes, what sort of books she reads, tv shows she likes, etc.
Blessed be the LORD my strength which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:
My goodness, and my fortress; my high tower, and my deliverer; my shield, and he in whom I trust; who subdueth my people under me.

神はそのひとり子を賜わったほどに、この世を愛して下さった。それは御子を信じる者がひとりも滅びないで、永遠の命を得るためである.

My MAL Profile. Please check out my Dad's Christian eBook on Facebook.
Falx

Postby rocklobster » Fri Sep 14, 2012 6:37 am

Every anime fan needs to watch Haibane Renmei. The whole series is on Hulu NOW!
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you. I appointed you to be a prophet of all nations."
--Jeremiah 1:5
Hit me up on social media!
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100007205508246<--Facebook

I'm also on Amino as Radical Edward, and on Reddit as Rocklobster as well.

click here for my playlist!
my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby Atria35 » Fri Sep 14, 2012 6:43 am

rocklobster (post: 1589035) wrote:Every anime fan needs to watch Haibane Renmei. The whole series is on Hulu NOW!

I think you missed the point of this post- her friend isn't an anime fan. And HR is so different from most American tv shows, books, movies, and cartoons that no matter how good it is, it is not the best anime to start someone off on.
Atria35

Postby airichan623 » Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:57 am

Falx (post: 1589012) wrote:You could also help us narrow it down by listing other stuff she likes, what sort of books she reads, tv shows she likes, etc.

Let's see...

she loves the Avengers movie, Big Bang Theory, Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings, Star Wars, and X-men movies. I also got her into Doctor Who recently and she LOVES it.

Also, she is a college graduate with a graphic design degree, if this helps at all.

Also, it's a plus if it's on Netflix or the dub is available (legally) online.

EDIT: I would LOVE to do Girl Who Leapt Through Time but I don't own it and it's probably not streamed.

And Code Geass was on there because it's probably my favorite of all time.

Does this help?

airichan623

Postby FllMtl Novelist » Fri Sep 14, 2012 5:37 pm

Maokun (post: 1589004) wrote:Also, I might be wrong on this but I believe that as a girl, new to anime, your friend will find easier to identify with Makoto from The Girl Who Leapt Through Time than with Summer Wars's Kenji. I mean, do show her Summer Wars but after TGWLTT [SIZE="1"][color="Gray"](which is the better movie anyway *coughs*)[/color][/SIZE]

Maybe I'm biased since Summer Wars is my favorite of the two movies, but despite being a girl I identify far more with Kenji's awkwardness--and his reaction to the gigantic sprawling Jinnouchi family--than Makoto's boy troubles. :P

But I think either/both would be a good choice.
airichan623 (post: 1589051) wrote:EDIT: I would LOVE to do Girl Who Leapt Through Time but I don't own it and it's probably not streamed.

I don't have Netflix myself, but my friend who does recently mentioned they had TGWLTT, so you might want to check there if you haven't already.

I don't exactly have a lot of experience introducing people to anime, so I've got nothing else to add. xD;
Hats wrote:"Frodo! Cast off your [s]sins[/s] into the fire!"

EllaEdric 06:53 -IM SO UNEQUIPPED TO BE A MAN ITS NOT EVEN FUNNY.
FllMtl Novelist

Postby Atria35 » Fri Sep 14, 2012 6:19 pm

FllMtl Novelist (post: 1589166) wrote:I don't have Netflix myself, but my friend who does recently mentioned they had TGWLTT, so you might want to check there if you haven't already.

They don't have it streaming, unfortunately. Possibly via ordering, but that's not quite as handy.
Atria35

Postby mechana2015 » Fri Sep 14, 2012 6:31 pm

I woudl say definately NOT Code Geass, sheerly for the fact that it's not 26 episodes, but 50-something, and if you're looking for short things it won't fit the bill. Ouran is also another one that's difficult for new people due to it's reliance on parody of other anime genre for it's humor, as well as it having a bit of a non-ending.

I'd personally second Dennou Coil, as it's not reliant on the fan-baiting techniques that plague some other series, I'm jsut not sure of it's avaliablity, and would also second Summer wars since the art and design in it is just plain phenominal. Birdy is another good one as it's sort of a sci-fi american superhero style show.

My Deviantart
"MOES. I can has Sane Sig now?"
mechana2015

Postby rstewart424 » Sat Sep 15, 2012 1:26 pm

Don't forget Cowboy Bebop!!!
[color="Red"]@)[/color][color="SeaGreen"]}~`,~[/color] Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks, To All The CAA Moderators.
"The world is not beautiful, therefore it is."
rstewart424

Postby Juliannesan » Sat Sep 15, 2012 1:38 pm

I know Ouran has definitely been a hit with those not from the usual anime world.
ImageImage
Juliannesan

Postby rocklobster » Sat Sep 15, 2012 2:40 pm

Hmm. Based on your choices, I'd add the following:
Paprika (show your friend just how weird anime can get)
Trigun (lots of good action and comedy in this)
The Big O (you need to pick at least one giant robot anime)
and I still recommend Haibane Renmei.
Outlaw Star (very Star Wars-ish)
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you. I appointed you to be a prophet of all nations."

my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby Atria35 » Sat Sep 15, 2012 2:54 pm

mechana2015 (post: 1589177) wrote:I'd personally second Dennou Coil, as it's not reliant on the fan-baiting techniques that plague some other series, I'm jsut not sure of it's avaliablity, and would also second Summer wars since the art and design in it is just plain phenominal. Birdy is another good one as it's sort of a sci-fi american superhero style show.

While licensed in Latin America, it's not in the US. Which makes me UBER SAD. :waah!: But it's a good intro series, methinks.
Atria35

Postby HetalianKatana4 » Sat Sep 15, 2012 5:05 pm

This is too obvious but Bleach. Also, Death Note if she can handle the violence. Bleach is violent but definately safer
"Even when a girl is as shy as a mouse, you still have to beware of the tiger within."- random Chinese proverb

My YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/BleachBlue04?feature=mhee

My FanFiction account:
https://m.fanfiction.net/u/4095232
HetalianKatana4

Location: Either in Narnia, Soul Society, or America...I'm indecisive :P

Postby Tommy » Sat Sep 15, 2012 7:02 pm

Monster.
FKA Tom Dincht

Check out my band if you've got the time.
http://encompass1.bandcamp.com/
Tommy

Postby Wave » Sat Sep 15, 2012 8:11 pm

Girl Who Leaped through time is available on Netflix dvd rental.

I always recommend Hairbane Renmei ;)

I'm going to recommended Scrapped Princess.
Scrapped Princess is 26 episodes long. It's relatively clean and it's not to wired.
••• ––– •••

You have heard that the law of Moses says "Do not commit adultry." But I say, anyone who even looks at a women with lust in his eys has already committed adultery with her in his heart
Mathew 5:27-29
Wave

Postby airichan623 » Sat Sep 15, 2012 11:37 pm

Wave (post: 1589374) wrote:Girl Who Leaped through time is available on Netflix dvd rental.

Sadly, I only have streaming.

Juliannesan (post: 1589312) wrote:I know Ouran has definitely been a hit with those not from the usual anime world.

Definitely.

Others have recommended Trigun and Cowboy Bebop...and to be honest, I'm not all that big a fan of Trigun, and while Bebop was good, I'm not ready to rewatch it at the moment.

I think for the time being, I'm going to start with Birdy the Mighty, Summer Wars, and Fruits Basket. Ouran as a possibility.

Oh...I just thought-what would you guys think of Romeo x Juliet on this list? My sis owns it so watching isn't an issue.

Also, are there any sites that are legally streaming the dubs of either Baccano! or Durarara!!? Cuz if so, i might to either of those.

airichan623

Postby mechana2015 » Sun Sep 16, 2012 2:31 am

The baccano dubs might be up on the funimation site now.

My Deviantart
"MOES. I can has Sane Sig now?"
mechana2015

Postby Atria35 » Sun Sep 16, 2012 5:29 am

airichan623 (post: 1589393) wrote:Oh...I just thought-what would you guys think of Romeo x Juliet on this list? My sis owns it so watching isn't an issue.

Also, are there any sites that are legally streaming the dubs of either Baccano! or Durarara!!? Cuz if so, i might to either of those.

Romeo x Juliet is a great anime - even has a great dub - and is basically a fantasy-world remake of the traditional story (so don't be surprised at the ending). There's a lot more action involved, and I'm of the opinion that it's a more mature (or at least, less teenage-hormones and really love) than the original play. Very little language, no sex - some sexual tension at one point, though - and the ending definately got me going!

Some of this might depend on how she feels about the original. If she's not for changes to the basic story, then nix it.

Both Netflix streaming and Funi have Baccano! in dub up. Durarara!! isn't streaming anywhere (legally) in dub, but is on Hulu and Crunchyroll in sub.
Atria35

Postby rocklobster » Sun Sep 16, 2012 5:54 am

Actually, Romeo X Juliet should be watched dubbed. The source material was in English anyway.

my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby Atria35 » Sun Sep 16, 2012 6:36 am

rocklobster (post: 1589409) wrote:Actually, Romeo X Juliet should be watched dubbed. The source material was in English anyway.

So what? Source material being in English doesn't mean a dub is good. If a dub is bad, then it's bad, and nothing will change that.

I also already said in my post the dub was good, so that's a moot point regardless.
Atria35

Postby eightluvver888 » Sun Sep 16, 2012 5:36 pm

Juliannesan (post: 1589312) wrote:I know Ouran has definitely been a hit with those not from the usual anime world.

Yeah, I watched it as one of my first ones and loved it without having watched any others from the genre. I think it'd be hard for anyone not to like it, or at least find it funny.

Death Note's one I'd second, I guess. Not too weird, and mind games are always fun. :dizzy:
[SIZE="3"][/SIZE][font="Garamond"]Oh no, he's already fallen off one building today!
[SIZE="1"]MAL[/SIZE][/font]
eightluvver888

Postby TheBlueRose22 » Sun Sep 16, 2012 5:56 pm

Monster. Yes, it goes past 24 episodes...Still, you can't go wrong with Urasawa, right? I also reccomend Blood+, but I guess you could say I'm biased *see avatar*
TheBlueRose22

Postby Maokun » Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:07 am

May I anti-recommend Fruits Basket? I don't think it's a good gateway anime, specially for a college-graduate person (sorry, by the way, for initially assuming she was a teenager.) It is not a bad anime per-se, but it's ridden with shoujo trappings that may be endearing or at least tolerable only to veteran anime watchers. Moreover, the rather poor pacing, the fact that only a minor conflict of the overarching setting is resolved more or less satisfactorily at the end and that character growth happens in sporadic and sudden outbursts -not to mention the almost complete absence of production values- make it a poor (if perhaps somewhat accurate) representative for anime as a medium. You cannot for example just tell someone whom you are trying to convince to get into anime "well the anime had a lot of flaws, but hey the manga is great!"

I'm going to recommend on its stead any movie by Satoshi Kon. His movies were usually criticized by a small (and sad) subset of people that wondered why didn't he directed them as live-action movies as opposed to animation. While such narrow-minded criticism deserves no consideration, I mention it because it goes to show that Kon's movies are -more than most anime productions- close to "real" feature movies. As such, they serve to demonstrate that just because it's an audiovisual medium usually employed to tell kiddy stories, doesn't mean that anime cannot deal on serious themes that raise important intellectual and moral questions and that have depth of characterization, clever storytelling and amazing production values. Tokyo Godfathers or Perfect Blue would be my gateway anime of choice for the thinking young adult. Follow with FMA:B.

[font="Tahoma"][SIZE="1"][color="YellowGreen"]There is no point to lessons that don't bring with them pain. People cannot gain anything without sacrificing something, after all.
But once you have successfully endured that pain you will gain a heart that's stout enough not be overcome by anything. Yeah, a heart made fullmetal. [/color]
-Edward Elric[/SIZE][/font]
Maokun

Postby Cianter » Mon Sep 17, 2012 1:09 pm

I dunno, Fruits Basket was the first Shojo anime I ever saw, and I loved it, but that might just be me:). Speaking of Shojo, maybe Princess Tutu? But, I'm not really sure if she would like that, and I don't have Netflix, so I'm not sure that you would be able to get it there...
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][color="DarkOrchid"]Yes, I'm a girl. I push doors that clearly say PULL. I laugh harder when I try to explain why I'm laughing. I walk into a room and forget why I went in there. I count on my fingers in math class. I try to accomplish things when there is still time on the microwave. I lie sometimes to hide the pain. I say it's a long story when it's really not.[/color]

[color="Yellow"]When you're home alone: 10%-Say "who is it" 64%-Look through the peep hole then open it if you know them 25%-Open the door 1%-Crawl around on the ground like a ninja and look through the window very quietly to make sure it isn't a masked murderer. I'm that 1%[/color]

[color="Red"]I'm so talented I can fall up stairs, trip on flat surfaces, and get hit by parked cars XD[/color]

http://myanimelist.net/profile/Cianter
Cianter

Postby Atria35 » Mon Sep 17, 2012 1:30 pm

Cianter (post: 1589585) wrote:I dunno, Fruits Basket was the first Shojo anime I ever saw, and I loved it, but that might just be me:). Speaking of Shojo, maybe Princess Tutu? But, I'm not really sure if she would like that, and I don't have Netflix, so I'm not sure that you would be able to get it there...

But was it your first anime?

I have to admit, my tastes are such that I would have never ever went near anime again if I'd watched it. I don't like the FB anime at all. :sweat: So I think it's a personal taste thing, and if it seems in-line with her friends' likes, then it would be fine.
Atria35

Postby Banana Lobster » Mon Sep 17, 2012 3:06 pm

FllMtl Novelist wrote:Maybe I'm biased since Summer Wars is my favorite of the two movies, but despite being a girl I identify far more with Kenji's awkwardness--and his reaction to the gigantic sprawling Jinnouchi family--than Makoto's boy troubles. :P

I agree with Fu--either one would be a good choice. Though personally, I enjoyed Summer Wars much more. But that's just me.

Atria wrote:Honestly, if she's a fan of Avatar, I'd skip all of those and go with Seirei no Moribito. Not only does it have the 'bridging between the spiritual and real worlds' thing, but it has great characters, some good action, has some of the more slice-of-life that goes on in Avatar's more laid-back episodes, and definitely isn't more than a PG-13 rating.

I enjoyed Seirei no Moribito at lot too, and like you said, it does have a lot of those same qualities as Avatar: The last Airbender. It's only 26 episodes, and I watched it in Japanese, but then again, I own it on DVD, so you might not be able to. Not really sure, sorry.

I hope that helped! :)
Banana Lobster

Postby Neane » Mon Sep 17, 2012 4:45 pm

airichan623 (post: 1589051) wrote:Let's see...

she loves the Big Bang Theory
Does this help?

Based upon that, she might like Hataraki Man, it is a good old office drama that does not stretch the cultural differences. Sadly, it is not available in the west.

. I also got her into Doctor Who recently and she LOVES it.

Zipang (licensed in the west), it is a time travel military show filled with intense drama, but no ending to that show might make her mad.

Anyway, that's all I have to add. I am seconding everything that Atria and Maokun (and I personally second The Girl Who Leapt Through Time) have recommended.
And Kon's work is very approachable to people who are not anime-fans.

Also, Haibane Renmei is a good rec also and I think a person who is not really the biggest anime fan would enjoy it however I think she might not like how calm and slow-paced it is.
Neane

Next

Return to Anime and Anime Reviews