Mobile Suit Gundam

The real heart of CAA; discuss specific series, issues, and things related to anime here.

Postby TheSubtleDoctor » Mon Apr 30, 2012 6:32 am

battletech (post: 1553281) wrote:Just saw the first episode of Gen 3 and it looks epic. You got a lot of old school Gundam homage. It's got things in it like stuff from Gundam, ZZ Gundam, Victory Gundam and Cross Bone Gundam.
I'm gonna come across like a wet blanket, but I had trouble getting into it. The rush to end Gen 2 kind of killed the momentum of the series for me. I felt sort of deflated while watching. The AGE 3 design is cool, but I couldn't help but dwelling on the lost opportunities.

Also: the haircuts somehow keeps getting worse.
TheSubtleDoctor

Postby battletech » Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:17 am

TheSubtleDoctor (post: 1553392) wrote:I'm gonna come across like a wet blanket, but I had trouble getting into it. The rush to end Gen 2 kind of killed the momentum of the series for me. I felt sort of deflated while watching. The AGE 3 design is cool, but I couldn't help but dwelling on the lost opportunities.

Also: the haircuts somehow keeps getting worse.

Well my reaction to it was finally this is what I wanted after how Gen 2 was butchered. It is like a whole different show considering how Gen 2 ended.
[img]http://i1118.photobucket.com/albums/k615/bluebattletech/amuro_ray_emblem1_zps864eefb8.png[/img]
Gundam fan for life.
battletech

Postby TheSubtleDoctor » Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:16 am

battletech (post: 1553410) wrote:Well my reaction to it was finally this is what I wanted after how Gen 2 was butchered. It is like a whole different show considering how Gen 2 ended.
Yeah, hopefully they can do something good with it in the time remaining. It felt a lot like Gen 1 to me, honestly, which sort of felt like a step backwards from Gen 2.

I hope they don't forget to fill us in on the details of what has happened to Flit in the interim. Last we saw, he was performing a coup to wrest the government from enemy hands. Then, suddenly, he's riding around in a huge truck, seemingly unfettered by responsibilities. You'd think that, as a top government man, he'd be overseeing stuff during the invasion.
TheSubtleDoctor

Postby Neane » Sun May 13, 2012 4:38 pm

Seventh Episode of Gundam Unicorn Announced, the seventh episode of the anime was announced to be produced. It will be the final episode of the OVA series. The sixth episode "Sora to Hoshi to" will be released in the Spring of 2013.
Neane

Postby Crossfire » Mon May 14, 2012 7:06 pm

So, anyone know anything about that supposed One Year War reboot?
Crossfire

Postby battletech » Tue May 15, 2012 8:48 am

Crossfire (post: 1557884) wrote:So, anyone know anything about that supposed One Year War reboot?

There is nothing new to report. They only had the announcement in 2011.
I don't think there will be any more news until Gundam Unicorn is over.
[img]http://i1118.photobucket.com/albums/k615/bluebattletech/amuro_ray_emblem1_zps864eefb8.png[/img]
Gundam fan for life.
battletech

Postby Crossfire » Tue May 15, 2012 4:35 pm

Eh, so we've got roughly a two year wait. Ah well, at least Unicorn will be satisfying.
Crossfire

Postby Crossfire » Sun Jun 03, 2012 8:55 pm

Well, this week's AGE episode was... interesting. At least space pirates are giving the show a little more variety, though I'm not surprised that "Captain Ash" pulled a Darth Vader.

Speaking of Bisidian (Visidian?), now I kinda feel like buying that HG Darkhound.
Crossfire

Postby ABlipinTime » Mon Jun 04, 2012 3:33 pm

I watched the first episode of the original series of MSG (sounds like the chemical, lol). It was somewhat interesting, somewhat predictable, but finishing will allow me to enjoy Nadesico more. XD
ABlipinTime

Postby Davidizer13 » Mon Jun 04, 2012 7:28 pm

ABlipinTime (post: 1565174) wrote:I watched the first episode of the original series of MSG (sounds like the chemical, lol). It was somewhat interesting, somewhat predictable, but finishing will allow me to enjoy Nadesico more. XD

Oh, just you wait, it gets way better. Stick through the stock footage, rough animation and start-and-stop pacing, and you'll find out why it's been so enduring. It's got heart, dang it, and that's what counts.
We are loved even though we suck.

Psalms 37:37 (NHEB)
Mark the perfect man, and see the upright, for there is a future for the man of peace.
Davidizer13

Postby Nozomi » Sat Jul 07, 2012 6:06 pm

So, I've been steadily watching through the UC timeline for some time now. Finished 0079, 08th MS Team, 0080, 0083, Zeta, and now I'm on... Double Zeta.

I'm finding Double Zeta to be harder to watch than the other series, due to its pace (slow, even for a Gundam series), and its kitschiness.

Any pointers on how to get through it better? Eheh. I DO intend on watching every episode of it... I guess I just want to know if anyone else has had the same problem with this particular installment.
There is always hope in the Lord for those who seek it.
Live each day as if it were your first, not your last.
Nozomi

Postby Agloval » Sun Jul 08, 2012 12:06 am

Nozomi (post: 1575130) wrote:Any pointers on how to get through it better? Eheh. I DO intend on watching every episode of it... I guess I just want to know if anyone else has had the same problem with this particular installment.

Many of us have similar problems... I don't know what I can recommend... there are a few episodes later in the show whan it manages to be serious effectively, so maybe it's worth sticking around for those. I got through it because I liked the big, chunky design of the ZZ Gundam itself.

ZZ is a bit of a chore, though.
'That blast is blown for me, for I am the prize, and yet am I not dead.'
Agloval

Postby Nozomi » Sun Jul 08, 2012 12:47 am

Ah, good to hear it's not just me then!

I look forward to getting it done and moving on to Char's Counterattack...
Nozomi

Postby Crossfire » Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:08 pm

I'm taking a break from Zeta Gundam for a bit, I've got about 21 episodes left.

This week's Gundam AGE was, in my honest opinion, pretty good. Maybe it's because I was extremely tired, but I didn't notice anything inherently cringe-worthy. I like the design of the AGE-FX, though I don't really get how those "bits" work.
Crossfire

Postby minamikaome » Tue Jul 17, 2012 4:45 am

I love Wing so much! From the ingenious depth of the 5 boys to the unpredictable storyline that kept you surprised and left you guessing who was really on the good side. Amazing series for sure.
minamikaome

Postby battletech » Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:15 am

@Crossfire I think they act like knives. They are called C funnels. I think the C stands for cutting. cutting funnels

@minami A perfect summary of Wing.
Gundam fan for life.
battletech

Postby Crossfire » Tue Jul 17, 2012 2:56 pm

Hm, right. Though I'm more interested in how they move. I mean, I don't see any thrusters or anything. Is it magic?
Crossfire

Postby battletech » Thu Jul 19, 2012 11:03 am

Crossfire (post: 1577447) wrote:Hm, right. Though I'm more interested in how they move. I mean, I don't see any thrusters or anything. Is it magic?

AH! Well it's one of those things your not suppose to think about. Maybe it's an advanced form of the psycommu system from the UC timeline. Direct telekinesis through the system so you don't need thrusters.
Gundam fan for life.
battletech

Postby Crossfire » Sun Jul 22, 2012 2:25 pm

Well, I'll leave it at that then.

Just finished episodes 29-35 (I think?) of Zeta, and I probably laughed a lot more than I should have. It became a game of "Hmm, I wonder who will die in this episode". I almost feel sorry for Jerid, though.
Crossfire

Postby Neane » Sun Jul 29, 2012 11:53 pm

Finished Zeta Gundam -- I have to say I was pretty surprised at the ending.

Overall, I think the series was great.
Neane

Postby blkmage » Sun Sep 23, 2012 5:23 pm

gundam age: bad
blkmage

Postby Crossfire » Sun Sep 23, 2012 6:28 pm

Oh right, this week should be the second-last (?) episode. I guess I should watch it so I can say that I finished the series...

[spoiler]Flit and Asemu die, don't they?[/spoiler]
Crossfire

Postby battletech » Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:50 am

I don't think any Gundam is bad. That being said AGE was not the best. Now all I have to do is sit back and wait for Origin to start.
Gundam fan for life.
battletech

Postby Crossfire » Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:30 am

Okay, apparently there are only 49 episodes. I must say, the ending was rather anticlimactic. [spoiler]I was expecting Flit and/or Asemu to die, you know, to add drama to the whole affair. Nope, everyone makes it out fine.[/spoiler]
Crossfire

Postby Nozomi » Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:29 pm

Finished Double Zeta, finally. It took itself more seriously in the 2nd half, which I liked. And Judau was one of the more positive Gundam pilots I've seen in a long time.

Then I watched Char's Counterattack... the mind-screw at the end was interesting. But it was nice to have so many of the characters from 0079 involved again. (And now I root for "Eternal Captain" Bright Noa, big-time. Heh.)

I've watched Gundam Unicorn all the way through Ep. 4 in dub. I must say that it is the best Gundam series I've ever seen, by far. The intro was spectacular, and they really spent a lot of time and money on good writing. And it goes without saying that the animation and art styles are beautiful. Right now I'm holding off on 5 until I can find it in Dub.

And right now I'm watching G Gundam... good GRIEF, SO HAMMY! It's hard to watch multiple episodes of it in one sitting, as I am accustomed to. But, good news is I'm already through 21 of the 49 eps.

Check out my Goof Off Thread on the Gundam Multiverse, if you have time: http://www.christiananime.net/showthread.php?t=63470
Nozomi

Postby Neane » Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:38 pm

blkmage (post: 1590330) wrote:gundam age: bad

I have to agree with blkmage, I am at episode 45 and it still looks like ****. The ultimate fighting machine with the most powerful technology in the universe was just defeated by a grappling hook from the dark ages. I am desperate to endure until the end because its a Gundam...but...it is a very very bad Gundam... the worst I've managed to fully watch. Even Gundam Wing is better than this =/
This show is bad and everyone involved should feel bad...but at least it is still better than Macross Zero.
Neane

Postby Nozomi » Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:06 pm

Neane (post: 1590627) wrote:I pray, for your sake, that you are not saying that G Gundam is bad.

G Gundam is not bad. It has good production values in the mecha designs (though beauty is in the eye of the beholder, to some), character design, world-building, and even the story-telling. Even the fight sequences aren't bad.

But what sticks out like the sorest of thumbs is the DIALOGUE writing. Insane amounts of repetition that make some scenes almost redundant, and hardly any points get made each episode because it takes so long to get something said, or they get overlooked because of it, if they are indeed there. Even with the subtitling on DURING the dub, the writing is no better. It feels like I'm being talked down to, as if I'm a five-year-old and I need to hear things 10 times over in stilted, so-Canadian-it's-not-even funny rhythms in order to understand it.

I know that this is partly due to the 1994 release date, during the height of Japan's recession. That might have affected writing quality. But I would also say that it's more likely due to the fact that it's one of the earlier examples of combining the shonen and mecha/fighting robot genres together, and so far, it seems to have given that combination a very ROUGH start. Thankfully, there are other, more recent series, that do a better job of it, in my opinion. Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann is one of them, for example.

But no, G Gundam is not bad.

Overall, I would say that it's... fair. On a scale of Poor-Fair-Good-Excellent.
Nozomi

Postby battletech » Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:47 am

Nozomi (post: 1590628) wrote:Overall, I would say that it's... fair. On a scale of Poor-Fair-Good-Excellent.

I like this scale for Gundam. I would put Gundam AGE at poor. I know I'm probably talking semantics but I just can't bring myself to calling Gundam bad. I enjoyed watching Gundam AGE and that's what matters to me.
Gundam fan for life.
battletech

Postby Crossfire » Wed Sep 26, 2012 3:19 pm

On the topic of good and bad series, what does everyone think of Double O? I've heard a ton of mixed feelings ranging from "terrible" to "one of the best shows". I myself thought it was pretty good...
Crossfire

Postby Davidizer13 » Wed Sep 26, 2012 4:29 pm

Crossfire (post: 1590698) wrote:On the topic of good and bad series, what does everyone think of Double O? I've heard a ton of mixed feelings ranging from "terrible" to "one of the best shows". I myself thought it was pretty good...

I couldn't get past the first couple episodes - the premise and feel of the show was great, bt I couldn't tell the characters apart. I mean, how many generic pretty-boys can you have? And just when I was figuring the first batch out, they toss a couple more on me. Kind of a silly reason to drop a show, but whatever. I wasn't experienced in the ways of Gundam back then, so I wasn't totally sure what I was getting into.

Besides that, I've heard that even if you liked the first season, it completely flies apart in the second; it sounds like they tossed out everything that people liked about the show and replaced it with crazy. But then again, I didn't watch it, so I don't know if that's true.
We are loved even though we suck.

Psalms 37:37 (NHEB)
Mark the perfect man, and see the upright, for there is a future for the man of peace.
Davidizer13

Previous Next

Return to Anime and Anime Reviews