[Winter 2012] anime of the linux desktop

The real heart of CAA; discuss specific series, issues, and things related to anime here.

Postby TheSubtleDoctor » Thu Mar 08, 2012 3:59 pm

blkmage (post: 1538287) wrote:You may recall that Guilty Crown is getting a prequel visual novel from Nitro+. You may be glad to hear that it contains the same subtlety that you'd expect from the show, with character names like Scrooge, Carol, Past, Present, and Yet To Come.

L O L
Alright, Japan. That's enough. We tried to be patient, but it's time to give Anime to us. You can have it back when you think about what you've done.
TheSubtleDoctor

Postby Maokun » Thu Mar 08, 2012 4:53 pm

While it does sound funny and ridiculous out of context, apparently Past, Present and Yet to Come are indeed ghost-like entities and Scrooge is just a nickname. It's not that outrageous. Though I wonder if there's a Tiny Tim :P

[font="Tahoma"][SIZE="1"][color="YellowGreen"]There is no point to lessons that don't bring with them pain. People cannot gain anything without sacrificing something, after all.
But once you have successfully endured that pain you will gain a heart that's stout enough not be overcome by anything. Yeah, a heart made fullmetal. [/color]
-Edward Elric[/SIZE][/font]
Maokun

Postby MasterDias » Thu Mar 08, 2012 5:00 pm

Well, isn't Nitro+ supposed to be one of the better VN developers? Urobuchi works for them right?
At any rate, the VN will have different writers than the show.

I do find the A Christmas Carol references strangely amusing.
-----------------------------------------
"Always seek to do good to one another and to all."
1 Thessalonians 5:15

"Every story must have an ending." - Auron - Final Fantasy X

"A small stone may make a ripple at first, but someday it will be a wave." - Wiegraf - Final Fantasy Tactics
MasterDias

Postby blkmage » Thu Mar 08, 2012 5:12 pm

It's not ridiculous so much as it is being reeeeeeeeeeally obvious with its symbolism. The prequel is called Lost Christmas, after the big event in that world. It's like, okay, I see what you're doing there. No, really, I do, you can stop now.

Nitro+ is pretty good and the guy who's writing this wrote Demonbane, Muramasa, and Dra Koi, all of which I've heard good things about. Not entirely sure the names are his fault though, but it was just kinda like the names are A Christmas Carol references because they call it Lost Christmas, really, do tell.
blkmage

Postby Neane » Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:03 pm

I think you just posted this so that people would get a quick laugh.
Neane

Postby TheSubtleDoctor » Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:31 pm

Neane (post: 1538440) wrote:I think you just posted this so that people would get a quick laugh.
And we are all grateful =).
TheSubtleDoctor

Postby Neane » Sat Mar 10, 2012 3:55 am

And Guilty Crown episode 20 is now ripping off Neon Genesis.
Neane

Postby TheSubtleDoctor » Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:39 am

Shu looked really stupid on his future-segway.
TheSubtleDoctor

Postby Neane » Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:15 am

Shoe...
Neane

Postby Mr. Hat'n'Clogs » Thu Mar 15, 2012 2:46 pm

TheSubtleDoctor (post: 1540361) wrote:Shu looked really stupid on his future-segway.
This was exactly what I was thinking lolololol
Mr. Hat'n'Clogs

Postby Neane » Thu Mar 15, 2012 3:36 pm

Welp, this episode of Aquarion Evol was pretty fun to watch.
I can Trust this show to make me wish Apollo was the protagonist.
A man after my own heart.
Neane

Postby blkmage » Thu Mar 15, 2012 7:58 pm

To be fair, I don't think there's any way to look cool on a Segway.
blkmage

Postby Mr. Hat'n'Clogs » Sun Mar 18, 2012 1:45 pm

Miniskirt Pirates 10 was, to borrow a phrase from Herr Doctor, "just crackers". This show is impressing me in all the right ways.

On a side note, I'm surprised Funimation didn't pick this up, especially considering what they've said in the past of wanting some shows to please the older sci-fi crowd. Whatever, hopefully Sentai won't dub it and I can have no problems picking up some DVDs in my hot sweaty hands.
Mr. Hat'n'Clogs

Postby Neane » Sun Mar 18, 2012 1:59 pm

Mr. Hat'n'Clogs (post: 1541045) wrote:Miniskirt Pirates 10 was, to borrow a phrase from Herr Doctor, "just crackers". This show is impressing me in all the right ways.

Episode 10:
I love how they roam around in a pirate ship with cute school uniforms. As if they are going on a cute little school trip. And then they have to pass through some weird space storm and dress up as pirates for absolutely no reason at all.
Neane

Postby Mr. Hat'n'Clogs » Sun Mar 18, 2012 2:22 pm

I, uh, what? Marika probably just left in her uniform, and then switched to her pirate clothing because she likes it. Everyone else dresses up like pirates because they are pirates. I mean, yeah, the ones that look pirate-ish probably have some unnecessary clothing for their job, but they're just having fun with their job. Is that so hard to believe?

I mean, Marika and Chiaki are the only pirates in school, anyways. And given that the princess has princess clothing for the rest of her wardrobe, it's probably easier to just stay in her uniform anyways.
Mr. Hat'n'Clogs

Postby Neane » Sun Mar 18, 2012 2:34 pm

Mr. Hat'n'Clogs (post: 1541065) wrote:I, uh, what? Marika probably just left in her uniform, and then switched to her pirate clothing because she likes it. Everyone else dresses up like pirates because they are pirates. I mean, yeah, the ones that look pirate-ish probably have some unnecessary clothing for their job, but they're just having fun with their job. Is that so hard to believe?

Yes...

Also, if they were Bodacious ["Bodacious is a combination of the words bold and audacious"] Space Pirates, things would be very different.

Thus far:

Episode 1: There are pirates but are not traditional ones. They are privateers.
Episode 2: There is cyber terorism, probably done by privateers.
Episodes 3-5: Miniskirts in space
Episode 6: The privateers are pretending to be doing piracy.
Episode 7: Theathe troupe
Episode 8: Now they took up a mission by some princess and the only way to hide her was to make her a tranfer student. [One of the most overused Cliches there is.]
Episode 9
Amazing sci-fi detail: Hit those ships with our super jamming beam.
Breath-taking battle: The beam hits the ships and they all stop moving. Amazing!
Scare tactics: A cute little blond loli dressed as a pirate orders people to surrender. They have no choice but to comply.
Barbaric boarding and plundering: Here is your loot dear gents. Now off you go.
Neane

Postby Falx » Sun Mar 18, 2012 10:15 pm

Why are you watching a show you obviously don't like?
Blessed be the LORD my strength which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:
My goodness, and my fortress; my high tower, and my deliverer; my shield, and he in whom I trust; who subdueth my people under me.

神はそのひとり子を賜わったほどに、この世を愛して下さった。それは御子を信じる者がひとりも滅びないで、永遠の命を得るためである.

My MAL Profile. Please check out my Dad's Christian eBook on Facebook.
Falx

Postby blkmage » Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:49 am

Your frustration with the show seems to stem from a general misunderstanding and/or deliberate misinterpretation of various details and an offense at the incorporation of high school girls in a show that's advertised to feature high school girls.
blkmage

Postby MomentOfInertia » Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:18 am

Brodacious Space Pirates #10:
Cool stuff happens, clever ruses revealed.
I wish the OP was subbed.
The hull creaking sounded too wooden to me, probably just me. I doubt that they have to many sound effects available for that sort of thing anyway.
Chiaki was rather menacing.

Neane, you should note that the bodacious-ness level has increased in this episode.

And just because you're a privateer doesn't mean it's not piracy.
MAL - CAA MAL club - Avatar from Hyouka
"DaughterOfZion 06:19 - forget love, fudge conquers all. xD"
"Written assignments are never finished, only due." -me
-Speak not unless you can improve the silence.-
MOES: Members Observing Efficient Sigs
MomentOfInertia

Postby Neane » Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:27 am

No, my frustration is that people acutally believe that this is a good Sci-Fi space opera. This is not at all a Good Sci-Fi anime,

I admit that this is is a slow show, like Harlock.However, while the plot in Harlock is slow, grim and depressing to the most part, you still appreciate the social criticism of the modern way of life and Harlock himself was never fooling around and it is profund...evern today. And while it is still in overall a very naive show with oozing idealism but at least it has an identity and is telling a message. In a similar manner, One Piece is also about this funny pirate crew roaming around the world, looking for adventure while occasionally fighting all sorts of tyrants. It also has an identity and is telling an important message. BSP on the other hand doesn’t try to do anything more than making a parody of the whole piracy thing; the “bodacious” word in the title is just a troll. Before the amazing realism of Planetes or the social criticism of Captain Harlock, this show is just a farce, even if it tries a little bit more to appear smarter than your average school moeblob. I don’t expect it to be remembered in a few years.

I shall do a review of this show:

Characters:

They are generic and predictable.

Story:

There isn’t much of a story.

As for the juice of the story: The maid part. Just there as a minor part time job and a silly moe magnet.
1.) The schoolgirl part. Girls everywhere! And they all wear short skirts even in zero gravity environments! And of course we can’t have a school without a mysterious transfer student or the planet will blow up. We barely see grunts or dark places; it is just silly girls doing silly things. [And while I LOVE this sort of Stuff, K-ON!! and Yuru Yuri are two of my favorite shows, the way this show is telling it and expressing is sup-par. It is a disgrace to the moe-blob genre that I love with all my heart.]
2.) The space education part. Boring as hell! The only thing I remember is their spacesuits being skin-tight and thus show huge racks.
3.) The pirate part. Doesn’t exist since they are just theatre performers.

Also, there are many who will be mesmerized by the show’s attention to sci-fi details. While it tries a lot to portrait a futuristic society where technology of that time is put to use and its presentation appears to be far more technical than in a usual space show. Meaning, they show how they steer a ship with more ways than just pressing a few buttons. Other than that though the whole thing is still far from realistic and this whole fascination to sci-fi portrayal is just useless fluff. You can easily find lots of things that make no sense such as the female spacesuits being skin-tight and have boobs hanging out too much while male suits are bulky and don’t reveal any body features. Plus you see no method to keep them floating in vacuum or security for not drifting away while outside the spaceship. They also seem to prefer spending a whole minute in pressing buttons and making a holographic arrow to appear on an empty seat for you to sit on, instead of just pointing you to where you can sit. And let’s not disregard how they all wear miniskirts in space.. Not that the girls seem to care in the least though; the show is also called Miniskirt Pirates after all. Don’t think it’s weird when the heroine appears dressed as a pirate while still wearing a tiny skirt. In fact, don’t think at all.

ART & SOUND
I have no problems with the production values, they look nice and the sci-fi touches offer something interesting to pay attention to. They are otherwise not amazing and there are too many lolis with miniskirts around for a viewer to enjoy it. The soundtrack is completely forgettable as it is nothing but silly pop by female singers, of the likes of which we get by the thousands every year. Voice acting is nothing much either.

In all, it is just a dull boring, run-of-the-mill aimless show about zero-characterization theater actors.
Neane

Postby TheSubtleDoctor » Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:32 am

I think blkmage's point still stands, though. You're asking the show to be something or have certain elements that it was never meant to be/have (note that this is not the same thing as excusing a show for being bad) . It'd be like saying that LOGH is a terrible comedy: a case of missing the point. I don't think Moretsu Pirates is intended to have any sort of social commentary, hidden or obvious. It's not meant to be grim, nor should it be mistaken for hard science fiction. Rather, it's just a show that is there to entertain people, so, yeah, if you look for that other stuff the show will leave you wanting.
TheSubtleDoctor

Postby Agloval » Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:44 am

It seems to me (I haven't caught up with the latest eps yet) that Pirates is quite interested in nostalgia and deliberate anachronism: the maid cafe; the space yacht, which is both a nostalgic concept -- though, yes, I know there's science behind sailing in space -- and an object of veneration for its age w/in the show; the fact that the privateers have found a niche as historical entertainment for tourists, because space pirates are so rare nowadays (draw your own less pleasant real-world analogies within these brackets). (Oh, and draw your own connections to Martian Successor Nadesico's substantially greater obsession with memories -- of childhood, of fandom, of nations, of computers -- within these other brackets.)
'That blast is blown for me, for I am the prize, and yet am I not dead.'
Agloval

Postby mechana2015 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 12:16 pm

I've been comparing it to Nadesco, Vandread and Tyler, and so far it's held up in that genre, and seems to be heading steadily along the same 'comedy, then a bit more serious' route that those shows followed.

My Deviantart
"MOES. I can has Sane Sig now?"
mechana2015

Postby blkmage » Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:25 pm

fffffff, Natsume, it needs to be next week now
blkmage

Postby goldenspines » Mon Mar 19, 2012 5:28 pm

blkmage (post: 1541349) wrote:fffffff, Natsume, it needs to be next week now
This. D:

While I'm happy I finally caught up with Natsume Yuujinchou, I can't believe it all lead to this cliffhanger. :[
goldenspines

Postby blkmage » Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:06 am

Hey guys, remember that Nitro+ Guilty Crown prequel visual novel?

It's getting animated. Or at least a short OVA of it is.
blkmage

Postby MightiMidget » Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:34 am

blkmage (post: 1542074) wrote:Hey guys, remember that Nitro+ Guilty Crown prequel visual novel?

It's getting animated. Or at least a short OVA of it is.

This is the only anime community I'm a part of...but. is Guilty Crown a big deal then? I know it was before it came out, but...in other communities is it more praised than here?
MightiMidget

Postby Atria35 » Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:51 am

MightiMidget (post: 1542083) wrote:This is the only anime community I'm a part of...but. is Guilty Crown a big deal then? I know it was before it came out, but...in other communities is it more praised than here?

Depends. The people who like it do because it has explosions and the ending is apparently okay. But for the majority, most people agree it's average to a mess.
Atria35

Postby Neane » Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:57 am

MightiMidget (post: 1542083) wrote:This is the only anime community I'm a part of...but. is Guilty Crown a big deal then? I know it was before it came out, but...in other communities is it more praised than here?

All the making fun of that we have been doing here of Guilty Crown is tame compared to what is going on at AniDB. But yeah, Guilty Crown is big stuff.

On a side-note, I'd rather listen to two rounds of vogon poetry than another episode of Guilty Crown at this point.
Neane

Postby blkmage » Thu Mar 22, 2012 6:11 pm

Guilty Crown sells like 10k units per volume in Japan, but gets skewered pretty hard among people I roll with.
blkmage

Previous Next

Return to Anime and Anime Reviews