The Most Heroic Characters

The real heart of CAA; discuss specific series, issues, and things related to anime here.

Postby FllMtl Novelist » Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:47 pm

SierraLea (post: 1539627) wrote:I know Kitchen Princess isn't an anime, but Sora. He gets killed trying to help Najita, and keeps a huge secret to help his brother. If you haven't read it, read it.

[spoiler]His death wasn't very heroic, though--it was a complete accident.[/spoiler]
And like Atria said in another thread, please use spoiler boxes when posting plot twists like that.
Hats wrote:"Frodo! Cast off your [s]sins[/s] into the fire!"

EllaEdric 06:53 -IM SO UNEQUIPPED TO BE A MAN ITS NOT EVEN FUNNY.
FllMtl Novelist

Postby SierraLea » Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:18 pm

FllMtl Novelist (post: 1539662) wrote:And like Atria said in another thread, please use spoiler boxes when posting plot twists like that.

I don't know how to use one.
SierraLea

Postby Atria35 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:44 am

SierraLea (post: 1539739) wrote:I don't know how to use one.

To quote from the thread ("Have you ever cryed over an anime/manga") that I posted the instructions in:

@ SierraLee - we encourage use of spoiler tags so people who are reading the series and don't know those things happen won't feel discouraged from finishing.

You can edit your post up to two days after you make it, so I recommend putting [*spoiler][*/spoiler] around the parts that would be spoiling the series. (take out the asteriks, I put them there so you could see the code)
Atria35

Postby AngelicTotoro » Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:19 pm

Ashitaka - Princess Mononoke. One of the most heroic anime males of all time.
[spoiler]He tries to protect his little sister and her friends from an evil god-turned-monster that comes crashing into his village (Which is crazy brave considering one touch can mean death.), only to be cursed with something that is slowly killing his body and soul. Then he's banshed and disowned by his people, and does he complain? Never. He never does. That alone is one of the reasons I find Ashitaka to be heroic. Another is that he selflessly helps others, both the gods/animals and the people, protects the girl he loves even though she hates humans, and best of all, sees with eyes unclouded by hate.[/spoiler]

Pazu - Castle in The Sky.
(I think he's heroric for all the same reasons wolfs_howl listed.)

Balsa - Seirei no Moribito. One of the most heroic anime females of all time.
(She's brave, wise, deadly, actually quite kind, and kicks major butt, all while still being feminine. I love her and look up to her.)

Lt Atsushi Doujou - Toshokan Sensou.
(Takes good care of his subordinates, clear headed on the battle field, skilled too. He's definitely a war hero I admire and find, well, heroric.)

Iku Kasahara - Toshokan Sensou.
(She fights fiercely for what she believes in, and I can relate to and understand a lot of things she does.)

Shinichi Kudo - Detective Conan.
(At the start of the series, Shinichi is cocky and arrogant. But turning into Conan has humbled him and shown him not to take anything for granted. He's much kinder to the detective boys now, much more accepting of others, and he's become attached to people he normally would have avoided/ignored, like Heiji, Kogoro and Haibara. Basically I love how he's grown and changed for the better as a person.)

Ran Mouri - Detective Conan.
(Aside from one of the obvious reasons I find her herioic {being able to wait for Shinichi this long without giving up on him.}, I think Ran is because of how strong she has had to be ever since a young age. Her parents get seperated and she immediately has to fill the mothers shoes, shopping, cooking, cleaning, laundry. She has to do all these things by herself now because her mother left and her father is a bum. And despite all of that, she still grows up to be a spunky, believably upbeat person.)

Hikaru Ichijyo - SDF Macross/DYRL.
(I find him to be very heroic, I admire him greatly. And while I still think he's bit of an idiot when it comes to how you're supposed to treat woman, he makes up for his insensitivity in the movie.)

Others I find heroic;
Renton Thurston - Eureka Seven.
Daiki Asuka Jr - Saint Tail.
Misa Hayase - SDF Macross/DYRL.
Meimi Haneoka - Saint Tail.
(She's very heroic in my book, noble too.)

I'm reluctant to add Max Jenius since I think he's a little bit of an idiot for
[spoiler]proposing to a girl he knows hardly right after she tries to kill him.[/spoiler]
However, he is a good friend to Hikaru, (probably the most honest with him imo.) and [spoiler]I found him to be seriously awesome when he helped Misa and Hikaru escape when they were captured by the Zentradi.[/spoiler]
I also found, Sheeta (Castle in the sky), San (Princess Mononoke), Shizuku (Whisper of the Heart) and Sophie (Howls moving castle) to all be rather heroic.
The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not want. He makes me lie down in green pastures; He leads me beside quiet waters. He restores my soul; He guides me in paths of righteousness For His name's sake. Even though I walk though the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil; for thou art with me; Thy rod and Thy staff, they comfort me. Thou dost prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies; Thou hast anointed my head with oil; My cup overflows. Surely goodness and lovingkindness will follow me all the days of my life, and I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever. Psalm 23
AngelicTotoro

Postby softsubs » Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:35 pm

AngelicTotoro (post: 1539968) wrote:Renton Thurston - Eureka Seven.

This.

Akemi Homura from Puella Magi Madoka Magica
[SPOILER]Over and over and over and OVER :waah!:[/SPOILER]
softsubs

Postby SierraLea » Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:10 pm

Atria35 (post: 1539815) wrote:To quote from the thread ("Have you ever cryed over an anime/manga") that I posted the instructions in:

Got it. I won't do that again.
SierraLea

Postby SierraLea » Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:24 pm

AngelicTotoro (post: 1539968) wrote:Ashitaka - Princess Mononoke. One of the most heroic anime males of all time.
[spoiler]He tries to protect his little sister and her friends from an evil god-turned-monster that comes crashing into his village (Which is crazy brave considering one touch can mean death.), only to be cursed with something that is slowly killing his body and soul. Then he's banshed and disowned by his people, and does he complain? Never. He never does. That alone is one of the reasons I find Ashitaka to be heroic. Another is that he selflessly helps others, both the gods/animals and the people, protects the girl he loves even though she hates humans, and best of all, sees with eyes unclouded by hate.[/spoiler]

I also found, Sheeta (Castle in the sky), San (Princess Mononoke) and Sophie (Howls moving castle) to all be rather heroic.

Totally agree with these. I just couldn't remember Ashitaka's name.
SierraLea

Postby adam.skinner » Thu Mar 15, 2012 4:20 am

Surprisingly enough, the first heroic character that I ran across when reviewing my rated anime was Saeki Koushirou from Koi Kaze.

Koushirou is heroic for his great and decisive efforts in confronting his inner demons. I praised him for this in a recent (spoilerific) blog post after rewatching the series.

Next up is Okabe Rintarou from Steins;Gate. His persistence and continual fight to set the world right (in a very real sense) takes him along a path of great pain and sacrifice. It is for love that he continues.

From Konnichiwa Anne, Anne Shirley displays heroism consistently by responding to hostility and hardship with love and optimism.

In Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica, Kaname Madoka is very much a Christ figure. Like Okabe Rintarou, she persists in the midst of hardship and sacrifice to set the world right.

As I've reviewed my anime list from this perspective, one thing that strikes me is that people aren't heroes: they take heroic action driven by a heroic perspective.
adam.skinner

Previous

Return to Anime and Anime Reviews