Anime license deals for North America

The real heart of CAA; discuss specific series, issues, and things related to anime here.

Postby Atria35 » Thu May 12, 2011 10:12 pm

UniqueAngelStar (post: 1478638) wrote:I wonder how this turns out when it's dubbed.

Even though it's going to be released on DVD doesn't mean it's getting a dub, kind of like how Emma: A Victorian Romance, and Aria didn't. It's a very niche title, and they'd probably lose money adding a dub onto it, so I wouldn't count on one.
Atria35

Postby MasterDias » Thu May 12, 2011 10:55 pm

Atria35 (post: 1478640) wrote:Even though it's going to be released on DVD doesn't mean it's getting a dub, kind of like how Emma: A Victorian Romance, and Aria didn't. It's a very niche title, and they'd probably lose money adding a dub onto it, so I wouldn't count on one.

It is Funimation's policy to dub everything that gets a physical release. If they don't think it will be profitable with a dub, they don't release it on DVD at all.
Aria and Emma were released by a different company.

With this in mind, I am pretty surprised it's getting a release from Funimation. It is a pretty niche title.
Not sure if it's wise to base licensing acquisitions on a Facebook survey.
-----------------------------------------
"Always seek to do good to one another and to all."
1 Thessalonians 5:15

"Every story must have an ending." - Auron - Final Fantasy X

"A small stone may make a ripple at first, but someday it will be a wave." - Wiegraf - Final Fantasy Tactics
MasterDias

Postby Atria35 » Sat Jul 02, 2011 6:07 pm

Okay! Thanks to Blckmage pointing this out...

Kimi ni Todoke and Dororon Enma-kun have been licensed by NIS America
http://www.uk-anime.net/newsitem/NIS_America_license_Kimi_ni_Todoke_and_Dororon_Enma_Kun_MeeraMera_in_the_US.html
Atria35

Postby SSJ3Goku » Sun Jul 03, 2011 12:41 pm

Well this is a nice surprise....

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2011-07-01/viz-adds-professor-layton-film-bleach/fade-to-black

Really excited about Bleach: Fade to Black getting released. :rock:
John 3:16 - For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.

The list of Anime I'm currently watching, or have watched: http://myanimelist.net/animelist/SSJ3Goku
SSJ3Goku

Postby Atria35 » Mon Jul 04, 2011 3:35 pm

Sentai Filmworks has licensed both seasons of Ef (Tale of Memories and Tale of Melodies), Ro-Kyu-Bu, and Loups-Garous.

Clannad will also be on Blu-Ray this September.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2011-07-03/sentai-filmworks-adds-ro-kyu-bu-loups-garous-ef
Atria35

Postby MightiMidget » Mon Jul 04, 2011 5:11 pm

SuperSaiyan3Gok (post: 1488920) wrote:Well this is a nice surprise....

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2011-07-01/viz-adds-professor-layton-film-bleach/fade-to-black

Really excited about Bleach: Fade to Black getting released. :rock:

Pff! About time! :cool:
MightiMidget

Postby AnimeGirl » Tue Jul 12, 2011 3:18 pm

KYAAHH! I just read on Anime News Network that at Anime Expo (I sadly missed the Funimation panel when I was there, but oh well...) that Funimation they aquired STEINS;GATE!!! Ooh, that means when it's don e on CrunchyRoll I am for certain aware that I can expect a lovely dub at least by next year! I am so excited, I was hoping they would be the awesome studio to license it! Man, I wonder who will play who! 0.0 The sieyuu did a good job, let's see if Funi can either top them or equal them!!
"For what use is there in praying if you will only hear what you want to hear." - As I Lay Dying *The Sound Of Truth*

Let's make an AMV together!

Kokoro no Uta The thoughts of an aspiring mangaka (yeah...this is my blog >.>)

Ooh look! I have fanfiction! YAY!!!!!!!
http://www.fanfiction.net/~sevencandlesticks
If you like Tsubasa and Cardcaptors, then you might like what I've written (if I didn't slaughter the series... XD)

He heals the brokenhearted and binds up their wounds - Pslam 147:3
AnimeGirl

Postby Atria35 » Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:40 am

Well, Funi's licenses for Geneon titles have been going nowhere fast. Haibane Renmei? Yeah, nowhere to be seen. So they seem to be selling the licenses that they have to others.

Sentai has gotten the licenses for Rozen Maiden, Traumend, and Ouverture (which was never released for the English audiences) from them. They're releasing the series as a bundle, and have a seperate dvd for Ouverture. It's also getting dubbed by the original English cast.

Chances are they got it in a bundle deal, because they also managed to get the horrible OVA ICE. Just don't watch it. It's not worth the brain cells.

In other news, Bandai has licensed GOSICK and Nichijou (aka My Ordinary Life).
Atria35

Postby AnimeGirl » Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:15 am

They're licensing Overture?? *squees in utter excitement* And the original dub cast is coming back? Nice! And I am glad they relicensed the other two series. My brother and I were kicking ourselves when we didn't buy it earlier and now it's like 200 bucks to get the whole series. Now I don't have to be mad anymore! I will be sure to re-review Overture <333
"For what use is there in praying if you will only hear what you want to hear." - As I Lay Dying *The Sound Of Truth*

Let's make an AMV together!

Kokoro no Uta The thoughts of an aspiring mangaka (yeah...this is my blog >.>)

Ooh look! I have fanfiction! YAY!!!!!!!
http://www.fanfiction.net/~sevencandlesticks
If you like Tsubasa and Cardcaptors, then you might like what I've written (if I didn't slaughter the series... XD)

He heals the brokenhearted and binds up their wounds - Pslam 147:3
AnimeGirl

Postby Atria35 » Wed Sep 14, 2011 6:56 pm

Yokuwakaru Gendaimahou was licensed.

Also- the Kimi ni Todoke release has been pushed back 3 months. Second season has been licensed! And will be released on BR.
Atria35

Postby Atria35 » Sat Oct 01, 2011 9:30 am

Sentai Filmworks has licensed Horizon In The Middle of Nowhere and the Persona 4 anime.
Atria35

Postby Atria35 » Fri Oct 28, 2011 7:29 am

Atria35

Postby A_Yellow_Dress » Sat Oct 29, 2011 5:06 pm

Atria35 (post: 1512540) wrote:http://disney.go.com/official-sites/arrietty/index

Up on the Disney site!

Yay!Yay!Yay!Yay!Yay!Yay!Yay!Yay!Yay!Yay!Yay!Yay!Yay!Yay!Yay!Yay!Yay!Yay!Yay!Yay!Yay!Yay!Yay!Yay!Yay!Yay!Yay!Yay!Yay!Yay!Yay!Yay!Yay!Yay!Yay!Yay!Yay!Yay!Yay!Yay!Yay!Yay!Yay!Yay!Yay!Yay!Yay!Yay!Yay!Yay!Yay!Yay!Yay!Yay!Yay!Yay!Yay!Yay!Yay!Yay!Yay! Yay!Yay!Yay!Yay!Yay!Yay!Yay!Yay!Yay!Yay!Yay!Yay!Yay!Yay!Yay!Yay!Yay!Yay!Yay!Yay!Yay!Yay!Yay!Yay!Yay!Yay!Yay!Yay!Yay!Yay!Yay!Yay!Yay!Yay!Yay!Yay!Yay!Yay!Yay!Yay!Yay!Yay!Yay!Yay!Yay!Yay!Yay! Yay!Yay!Yay!Yay!Yay!Yay!Yay!Yay!Yay!Yay!Yay!Yay!Yay!Yay!Yay!Yay!Yay!

YAY!
A_Yellow_Dress

Postby A_Yellow_Dress » Tue Nov 01, 2011 10:05 pm

Oh, not sure if it ever got mentioned, some of Funimation's Geneon liecences have expired. I haven't heard of all the titles, but still, it's a shame. (apparently, it's been as such since august, though. Chances are you are already all in know or someone posted it here.....)

To quote from http://www.funimation.com/funimation-general/forum/funimation-central/funimation-general/list-of-confirmed-properties-that?page=7#comment-528911:

[UPDATE] Our license has expired on the below list of rescued Geneon shows, and the product sell-off period has ended. As far as I know there are no plans to re-acquire these titles. The show pages and all content are no longer available for the below list of shows on this site.

* Paradise Kiss
* Kamichu
* Kyo Kara Maoh crying
* The Story of Saiunkoku
* The Law of Ueki
* When They Cry
A_Yellow_Dress

Postby Juliannesan » Wed Nov 02, 2011 6:18 am

A_Yellow_Dress (post: 1513289) wrote:Oh, not sure if it ever got mentioned, some of Funimation's Geneon liecences have expired. I haven't heard of all the titles, but still, it's a shame. (apparently, it's been as such since august, though. Chances are you are already all in know or someone posted it here.....)

To quote from http://www.funimation.com/funimation-general/forum/funimation-central/funimation-general/list-of-confirmed-properties-that?page=7#comment-528911:

[UPDATE] Our license has expired on the below list of rescued Geneon shows, and the product sell-off period has ended. As far as I know there are no plans to re-acquire these titles. The show pages and all content are no longer available for the below list of shows on this site.

* Paradise Kiss
* Kamichu
* Kyo Kara Maoh crying
* The Story of Saiunkoku
* The Law of Ueki
* When They Cry

Yeah, I saw that awhile back, such a shame. And they never ended up doing a dub for the second season or even ever licensed the second season, which also makes me sad. :( It's one of my favorite shows ever.

I'm just glad my husband bought it for me for $30 on Amazon last year as a wedding present before it went out of stores completely.
ImageImage
Juliannesan

Postby Atria35 » Wed Nov 02, 2011 6:31 am

A_Yellow_Dress (post: 1513289) wrote: * When They Cry

Known about this one for ages. I'm so glad I bought the box set when I did- the second season of this was also never licensed, which was a shame (don't care about it getting a dub because the original dub will tear holes in your eardrums because it's so bad!)
Atria35

Postby ShiroiHikari » Wed Nov 02, 2011 11:06 am

What I want to know is why anybody would license Horizon? *shrug*

Persona 4, though? Might buy that one if it turns out to be a good adaptation (still too early to tell).
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby Neane » Fri Dec 30, 2011 6:56 pm

http://nisamerica.com/nart/pbombs/2011/194/Anime%20PressRelease20111230_Natsume_releasepb.pdf

NIS America has licensed all four seasons of Natsume Yuujinchou.
Neane

Postby KhakiBlueSocks » Fri Dec 30, 2011 11:02 pm

[font="Trebuchet MS"][SIZE="4"][color="RoyalBlue"]
Sorry, but that's one movie I can only watch once. It's a beautiful piece of cinema, don't get me wrong, but still...it does something to me that I can't really explain.

On a more hopeful note, is there ANY word of their being a release of "Usagi Drop"? Seriously, SOMEONE needs to pick this title up! [/color][/SIZE][/font]
Joshua: Hebrew -The LORD is Salvation

" wrote:RustyClaymore 11:27 - Ah yes, Socks is the single raindrop responsible for the flood. XD

Check out my new anime review blog, "The Cajun Samurai"

http://thecajunsamurai.wordpress.com/
KhakiBlueSocks

Postby A_Yellow_Dress » Sat Dec 31, 2011 8:39 am

KhakiBlueSocks (post: 1524492) wrote:[font="Trebuchet MS"][SIZE="4"][color="RoyalBlue"]

On a more hopeful note, is there ANY word of their being a release of "Usagi Drop"? Seriously, SOMEONE needs to pick this title up! [/color][/SIZE][/font]

YES PLEASE!!!!!!
A_Yellow_Dress

Postby rocklobster » Sat Dec 31, 2011 9:10 am

Will FUNimation ever release Haibane Renmei and Serial Experiments Lain or will they just sit on the licenses until they expire?
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you. I appointed you to be a prophet of all nations."
--Jeremiah 1:5
Hit me up on social media!
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100007205508246<--Facebook

I'm also on Amino as Radical Edward, and on Reddit as Rocklobster as well.

click here for my playlist!
my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby Lynna » Sat Dec 31, 2011 9:21 am

Atria35 (post: 1512540) wrote:http://disney.go.com/official-sites/arrietty/index

Up on the Disney site!

Wow, looks cool! :D
I Believe in the Sun/Even when It's not shining/I belive in Love/Even When I Don't Feel it/And I Believe in God/Even when He is silent/And I, I Believe ---BarlowGirl
@)}~`,~ Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks To All The CAA Moderators
DeviantArttumblrBeneath The Tangles
Avatar (lovingly) taken from The Silver Eye webcomic
Lynna

Postby Atria35 » Sat Dec 31, 2011 11:26 am

KhakiBlueSocks (post: 1524492) wrote:[font="Trebuchet MS"][SIZE="4"][color="RoyalBlue"]On a more hopeful note, is there ANY word of their being a release of "Usagi Drop"? Seriously, SOMEONE needs to pick this title up! [/color][/SIZE][/font]
It is licensed- on Cruchyroll. However, no one has any plans to pick it up for DVD release. Yet.

rocklobster (post: 1524575) wrote:Will FUNimation ever release Haibane Renmei and Serial Experiments Lain or will they just sit on the licenses until they expire?

They're sitting on them. For, like, ever. They let the license to Higurashi drop, so it wouldn't suprise me, since the economy and sales figures might not make up the cost for releasing them on DVD.
Atria35

Postby Mr. Hat'n'Clogs » Sat Dec 31, 2011 11:28 am

If I remember correctly Funimation is basically trying to get Lain on BD as fast as possible, though I was playing Civ V when I was listening to the ANNcast where they said that so I may be totally off.
Mr. Hat'n'Clogs

Postby TheSubtleDoctor » Sat Dec 31, 2011 12:38 pm

All 4 seasons of Natsume got licensed.

EDIT: I see Neane beat me to that one =).
TheSubtleDoctor

Postby A_Yellow_Dress » Mon Jan 02, 2012 12:25 pm

No more new Bandai releases?

You can still buy their existing stock, but some releases have been canceled:

"Anime DVD/Blu-ray Disc

Gosick
Nichijō
Turn A Gundam

Manga

Code Geass: Renya (Code Geass: Shikkoku no Renya)
Gurren Lagann volume 7
Kannagi volumes 4-6
Lucky Star Boo Boo Kagaboo (spinoff by Eretto)
Mobile Suit Gundam 00I
Tales of the Abyss: Jade's Secret Memories volumes 1 and 2"
A_Yellow_Dress

Postby rocklobster » Mon Jan 02, 2012 12:32 pm

NO!
FUNimation is the only company left! NO!
We need competition, fast!
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you. I appointed you to be a prophet of all nations."
--Jeremiah 1:5
Hit me up on social media!
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100007205508246<--Facebook

I'm also on Amino as Radical Edward, and on Reddit as Rocklobster as well.

click here for my playlist!
my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby TheSubtleDoctor » Mon Jan 02, 2012 12:40 pm

rocklobster (post: 1525040) wrote:NO!
FUNimation is the only company left! NO!
We need competition, fast!
No need to panic on this score. Several other companies are still around and releasing stuff:

Section23
NIS America
Aniplex
Discotek Media
Mediablasters (though they aren't doing all that much)
Manga Entertainment
Viz Media
Nozomi Entertainment
TheSubtleDoctor

Previous Next

Return to Anime and Anime Reviews