How much violence can you handle?

The real heart of CAA; discuss specific series, issues, and things related to anime here.

Postby Neane » Mon Dec 05, 2011 6:01 pm

Umbreon0 (post: 1519493) wrote:
I find it funny, however, how anime characters seem to have 50+ gallons of blood. :brow:

Not only that, but also in some Japanese Movies.
Neane

Postby Makachop^^128 » Mon Dec 05, 2011 6:03 pm

I can deal with Violence pretty well, it really depends what the violence is about.
If its really sick and twisted I can't watch it, or if its a man hitting a women or child I tend to get really angry and turn it off.
"We're not gonna die. We can't die, Bendis. You know why? Because we are so...very...pretty. We are just too pretty for God to let us die."-Mal

http://www.facebook.com/ShaylaChan

http://www.shelfari.com/shaylabot
http://myanimelist.net/profile/ShaylaBot
Makachop^^128

Postby MomentOfInertia » Mon Dec 05, 2011 6:52 pm

Neane (post: 1519784) wrote:Not only that, but also in some Japanese Movies.

To say nothing of the video games (and not just the Japanese ones either.)
MAL - CAA MAL club - Avatar from Hyouka
"DaughterOfZion 06:19 - forget love, fudge conquers all. xD"
"Written assignments are never finished, only due." -me
-Speak not unless you can improve the silence.-
MOES: Members Observing Efficient Sigs
MomentOfInertia

Postby Neane » Mon Dec 05, 2011 7:05 pm

MomentOfInertia (post: 1519798) wrote:To say nothing of the video games (and not just the Japanese ones either.)

Suicide Club has got to be the Goriest Movie I have ever seen in my life.
+70 gallons of blood per death. Anyway,I have survived Bludgeoning Angel Dokuro-Chan, Genocyber, and other high gore anime but my limit is Death Frenzy. It is really, really sick and twisted. Makes the Gore in Elfen Lied look "Cute".
Neane

Postby seaglass27 » Fri Dec 16, 2011 3:34 pm

I don't get why everyone says Elfen Lied is violent. The version I saw wasn't.
seaglass27

Postby Sheenar » Fri Dec 16, 2011 6:41 pm

It largely depends on the type of violence. I can handle a fair amount of blood and gore (even though there were a few spots in Repo: The Genetic Opera where I had to look away --awesome movie, by the way). But the Scream movie (only saw the first) and movies like Zombieland (with the shooting/beating/blood) --meh.

If there is domestic violence/abuse content, I cannot tolerate it 99.9% of the time. The movie Precious is a good example --was a good movie, but some of the scenes were huge triggers for me. Not a movie I could watch again.
"Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all. So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal." 2 Corinthians 4:16-18

"Since the creation of the Internet, the Earth's rotation has been fueled, primarily, by the collective spinning of English teachers in their graves."
Sheenar

Postby AnimeGirl » Fri Dec 16, 2011 6:48 pm

I still squirm a little when I see violence in Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood or Higurashi When They Cry, but know it is needed for the kind of story it's telling, and I feel it never really goes too over the top. Now though I have never seen it, I've seen some clips of Elfen Lied in AMVs, and i can't even tolerate those clips! It seems so overly done and as if it's violent JUST to be violent.
"For what use is there in praying if you will only hear what you want to hear." - As I Lay Dying *The Sound Of Truth*

Let's make an AMV together!

Kokoro no Uta The thoughts of an aspiring mangaka (yeah...this is my blog >.>)

Ooh look! I have fanfiction! YAY!!!!!!!
http://www.fanfiction.net/~sevencandlesticks
If you like Tsubasa and Cardcaptors, then you might like what I've written (if I didn't slaughter the series... XD)

He heals the brokenhearted and binds up their wounds - Pslam 147:3
AnimeGirl

Postby Atria35 » Fri Dec 16, 2011 6:53 pm

^ But again, you've only seen clips. Clips of an anime are as reliable as movie trailers- what you see isn't necessarily representative of the actual content. And while I myself have seen some of Elfen Lied, with context it's not really any more violent than Higurashi is (and I can tell what episodes you haven't seen of Higurashi if you can say that EL is more violent).
Atria35

Postby Neane » Fri Dec 16, 2011 7:19 pm

AnimeGirl (post: 1521942) wrote:It's violent JUST to be violent.

You got explained the BAOH OAV in one sentence. [Most violent Shonen anime ever.]
Neane

Postby Blitzkrieg1701 » Fri Dec 16, 2011 10:23 pm

Just on its own, violence doesn't bother me at all. Even in its most absurdly extreme depictions, I end up just shrugging it off or even laughing at the ridiculousness of it (speaking of ridiculous, I'm glad someone else already mentioned Violence Jack. I'd have hated to be the first one to mention that brainless schlock)

HOWEVER, the introduction of violence into an otherwise cute or "safe" anime does get to me. Seeing somebody get slapped in a family friendly romp bothers me more than a hundred exploding heads in some action flick (I guess 'cos it's unexpected)
Image Image

[font="Book Antiqua"][color="Purple"]For the love of Christ controls us, having concluded this: that one died for all, therefore all died; and he that died for all, so that they who live might no longer live for themselves, but for Him who died and rose again on their behalf. II Corinthians 5:14-15[/color][/font]
Blitzkrieg1701

Location: Washington, DC (when I'm not in an alternate universe)

Postby SincerelyAnomymous » Mon Jan 02, 2012 8:29 pm

I can hardly handle any blood. Even a little is a bit much for me.
“Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.”-Oscar Wilde

“Books change us. Books save us. I know this because it happened to me.”Elif Shafak

"Don't stop unbelieving, never give into your unfeelings"-Mabel Pines, Gravity Falls
SincerelyAnomymous

Postby Zeldafan2 » Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:58 am

I can handle violence very well, but the first few minutes of elfen lied was almost more then I could bare.
Zeldafan2

Previous

Return to Anime and Anime Reviews