Worst anime ever!

The real heart of CAA; discuss specific series, issues, and things related to anime here.

Postby Rocketshipper » Wed Aug 10, 2011 12:20 am

wha? Macross Zero!? no way. Granted, it may be my least favorite of the various macross versions (yes, even more than Macross II) but its not terrible. And its got great animation
Jessie and James, together forever!

AAML forever!

Colorado is EVIL!! Save me!!

Eternal Defender of Tracey Sketchit. If you are a Brock lover, beware ^_^

"Like the moon over
the day, my genius and brawn
are lost on these fools"-Bowser, Super Mario RPG

Confused about the meaning of the screen name??

http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/RocketShipping

Go here and be enlightened ^_^

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHg5SJYRHA0

Click the above link...I dare you.

http://community.livejournal.com/ship_manifesto/87185.html

The best essay on Junzumi shipping ever ^^.

http://myanimelist.net/profile/Rocketshipper
Rocketshipper

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Wed Aug 10, 2011 2:17 am

Contrarian, Lord of the Rings had far more violence and gore than Princess Mononoke. The latter had a few decapitations but they weren't overly graphic, nor were they the norm.
Warrior 4 Jesus

Postby Nate » Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:15 pm

TheBigSpeigs wrote:Kanokon

Hmm. I'd love to say that Kanokon has some sort of hidden depth or something that precludes it from being the worst anime ever, but I can't really think of anything. I still think it's not as bad as what I suggested, though.

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby Mr. Hat'n'Clogs » Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:52 pm

Rocketshipper (post: 1496472) wrote:wha? Macross Zero!? no way. Granted, it may be my least favorite of the various macross versions (yes, even more than Macross II) but its not terrible. And its got great animation
I'm failing to realize how it could be thought of as anything but terrible. There is absolutely nothing in that show worth watching.

Shiroi Hikari : Gundam SEED :: Hats : Macross Zero
Mr. Hat'n'Clogs

Postby Sapphire225 » Fri Aug 12, 2011 7:54 am

TheBigSpeigs (post: 1496443) wrote:I usually have a pretty good idea of what I'm watching, but the worst anime I've personally seen was one episode of Kanokon (not sure why I watched it). An anime I can't personally stand but I understand its merit is Full Metal Panic. I like the action but everytime it switches to its slap stick comedy moments, its kind of jarring. The fan service also really took me out of the serious moments :shake:

Have you watched FMP: The Second Raid? The comedy is significantly died down and it takes a more drastic turn.
"Because the World isn't as cruel as you take it to be." ~ Celty, Durarara!!

Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid or terrified because of them, for the LORD your God goes with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you."
~Deuteronomy 31:6

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We live in a fantasy world, a world of illusion. The great task in life is to find reality. ~ Iris Murdoch
Sapphire225

Postby Nate » Fri Aug 12, 2011 11:33 am

Mr. Hat'n'Clogs wrote:I'm failing to realize how it could be thought of as anything but terrible. There is absolutely nothing in that show worth watching.

I agree with this. The storyline is confusing and bizarre and has practically no connection whatsoever with the Macross series/movies. The music isn't very good either, there's no transformable fighters (that I can remember anyway) and even the dogfights are boring and awful because of the decision to render the planes in CG instead of using traditional animation.

Macross Zero is really hideously awful.

Nate

Postby Mr. Hat'n'Clogs » Fri Aug 12, 2011 11:59 am

You might not know it yet, but Nate, you are my new best friend.
Mr. Hat'n'Clogs

Postby TheSubtleDoctor » Fri Aug 12, 2011 12:13 pm

Nate (post: 1496912) wrote:Macross Zero is really hideously awful.
TheSubtleDoctor

Postby Rocketshipper » Fri Aug 12, 2011 12:55 pm

There were Valkyries in it, they transformed!! Kind of a retcon though, as they were said to be an earlier model than the ones shown in that flashback in the original Macross (the one from the episode where they reminiced about Focker)

Guess we will just disagree. I thought the animation was eye-popping, and enjoyed most of the action sequences. The story is pretty weird, and it leaned pretty far to the mystical side of things (like Macross 7. Song Energy!!!!) But I liked the characters, and it had some pretty touching moments. And it has a scene that I felt summed up the entire Macross series in just a few lines. (small spoilers)

Female Doctor: (dieing in Roy Focker's arms) Roy. The Doctor said it was impossible...
Focker: Enough. Don;t Talk anymore
Doctor: Saving the world is a simple task...Roy,...I love you. See? Isn't it simple?

Love that scene so much. And it was pretty hilarious when Macross Frontier went and did a whole episode with the characters acting out Macross Zero for a movie. Didn't Frontier use CGI for most of the ships in its series too?

AAML forever!

"Like the moon over

Rocketshipper

Postby TheBigSpeigs » Sat Aug 13, 2011 8:07 pm

Sapphire225 (post: 1496883) wrote:Have you watched FMP: The Second Raid? The comedy is significantly died down and it takes a more drastic turn.

It's the third season right? Do I need to watch the second season beforehand?
TheBigSpeigs

Postby Nate » Sat Aug 13, 2011 8:46 pm

Although admittedly I'm only remembering it because of a recent Spoony review, I did watch it myself back in the day and as far as I'm concerned, the animated Tekken movie definitely deserves to be on a list of worst anime ever. I don't think there's anything redeemable about it.

Nate

Postby Rocketshipper » Sun Aug 14, 2011 4:44 am

It's the third season right? Do I need to watch the second season beforehand?

Nope, Second Raid has nothing at all to do with the second season, Full Metal Panic Fumoffu.

AAML forever!

"Like the moon over

Rocketshipper

Postby Yamamaya » Sun Aug 14, 2011 11:10 am

Fumoffu is basically all about shenanigans. If you liked the non action comedy episodes in FMP, you'll like Fumoffu.

The Second Raid is an actual sequel and it's only half as long as FMP.
Yamamaya

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Sun Aug 14, 2011 11:27 am

I don't feel like you can definitively say what THE worst anime ever is, unless you've seen every single anime that exists, which is physically impossible as far as I know. So of course you can only say from your own personal experience, from what you've seen yourself. And, because I try not to waste my time on shows I suspect will be really awful, I've never seen an anime I would rate lower than 4/10.

The two I've rated that on MAL are Akira and FMA: The Conqueror of Shamballa. Both of which lots of people will probably disagree with XD Akira is a classic and influential and all that, but to me it was just ugly. The animation/coloring, sure, but also the story and characters. I didn't enjoy a single thing about it except that I finally knew what everyone was talking about and was able to experience such an influential work.

FMA: CoS is not badly animated at all, and there are some interesting bits in it. But I think a lot of it is kind of stupid and/or unexplained, not to mention taking the depressing ending of the series and making it ten times more depressing. I generally try to pretend it doesn't exist.
You can find out things about the past that you never knew. And from what you've learned, you may see some things differently in the present. You're the one that changes. Not the past.
- Ellone, Final Fantasy VIII

"There's a difference between maliciously offending somebody - on purpose - and somebody being offended by...truth. If you're offended by the truth, that's your problem. I have no obligation to not offend you if I'm speaking the truth. The truth is supposed to offend you; that's how you know you don't got it."
- Brad Stine
the_wolfs_howl

Postby ADXC » Sun Aug 14, 2011 12:31 pm

@Wolfs_howl-You can try to pretend it doesn't exist, but it still does. :P

I actually liked it a lot. lol
ADXC

Postby rocklobster » Sun Aug 14, 2011 1:26 pm

Wolf's Howl--yeah, I don't like Akira either, but I will say this: Katsuhiro Otomo is actually a pretty good creator. If you don't believe me, check out Steamboy or Memories sometime. They're great.
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you. I appointed you to be a prophet of all nations."
--Jeremiah 1:5
Hit me up on social media!
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100007205508246<--Facebook

I'm also on Amino as Radical Edward, and on Reddit as Rocklobster as well.

click here for my playlist!
my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby Mr. Hat'n'Clogs » Sun Aug 14, 2011 2:06 pm

the_wolfs_howl (post: 1497386) wrote: Akira is a classic and influential and all that, but to me it was just ugly. The animation/coloring, sure, but also the story and characters. I didn't enjoy a single thing about it except that I finally knew what everyone was talking about and was able to experience such an influential work.
lolwut, say what you will about the plot, the animation is some of the best ever.
Mr. Hat'n'Clogs

Postby Atria35 » Sun Aug 14, 2011 3:14 pm

rocklobster (post: 1497412) wrote:Wolf's Howl--yeah, I don't like Akira either, but I will say this: Katsuhiro Otomo is actually a pretty good creator. If you don't believe me, check out Steamboy or Memories sometime. They're great.

Steamboy looks great, but the story is class-A trash to some.
[spoiler]That whole thing about needing pure water from some glacier in Iceland or wherever? Yeah, you can get pure water without doing all that. I used it in my chemistry classes all the time. And being able to pressurize it like that? >.>" I also completely hated the characters.[/spoiler]

Akira was a fabulous manga- I give it a 9/10 myself, but I've heard a lot of iffy things about the anime since they really cut a whole lot from the story. I loathe Steamboy, though.
Atria35

Postby Yamamaya » Sun Aug 14, 2011 7:48 pm

Atria35 (post: 1497433) wrote:Steamboy looks great, but the story is class-A trash to some.
[spoiler]That whole thing about needing pure water from some glacier in Iceland or wherever? Yeah, you can get pure water without doing all that. I used it in my chemistry classes all the time. And being able to pressurize it like that? >.>" I also completely hated the characters.[/spoiler]

Akira was a fabulous manga- I give it a 9/10 myself, but I've heard a lot of iffy things about the anime since they really cut a whole lot from the story. I loathe Steamboy, though.

I don't remember that part about Steamboy. Maybe I just wasn't paying attention.

It looked nice, but its messages were extremely anvicilous and the story wasn't that interesting. It was very mediocre.

The only thing that kept it from being a Disney movie was one scene where there was a dead man lying on the ground with blood seeping out of his head.
Yamamaya

Postby Vii » Sun Aug 14, 2011 7:54 pm

the_wolfs_howl (post: 1497386) wrote:FMA: CoS is not badly animated at all, and there are some interesting bits in it. But I think a lot of it is kind of stupid and/or unexplained, not to mention taking the depressing ending of the series and making it ten times more depressing. I generally try to pretend it doesn't exist.

I second that, sort of...

I guess I'll just do a rundown of what I thought of the movie...

Animation: I agree it wasn't badly animated, but it was a bit different than the series. I'm mainly thinking about the copious amounts of blood they used in the movie. It was too unrealistic.
Plot: Blah. Too many holes in it. I've watched it twice and I still don't really know what the title is referring to.
Characters: They're fine, though it bothered me how OOC Roy was.
Lol, the first time I heard that Amestris was based on Germany, I always thought it would be funny if the State Alchemists were Nazi's in real life. Guess who started laughing halfway through the movie...XD. [spoiler] Hughes as a Nazi...ah hahaha[/spoiler]
Ending:[spoiler] At least Ed and Al are in the same world now. Poor Winry...[/spoiler]
Consensus: As a movie, it wasn't very good. But it served it's purpose; to provide an ending to the 2003 anime series.

Well, the basic message is that I agree with you. ^_^
Vii

Postby Mr. Hat'n'Clogs » Sun Aug 14, 2011 8:03 pm

Vii (post: 1497462) wrote:Lol, the first time I heard that Amestris was based on Germany, I always thought it would be funny if the State Alchemists were Nazi's in real life. Guess who started laughing halfway through the movie...XD.
I would like to point out that "Amestris" is not based on Germany. While the country of the first anime is definitely supposed to be alternate dimension Nazis, the country in that anime is unnamed. Amestris, the name of the country in Arakawa's manga and in Brotherhood, is based off of England, while the genocide that most people assume is a Holocaust parallel is actually based on the plight of the Ainu. Both of these are mentioned in the omakes of the manga.

Just thought I'd point that out for people who don't read the manga.
Mr. Hat'n'Clogs

Postby GrubbTheFragger » Wed Aug 17, 2011 2:38 pm

Nate mentioned it already but Ninja Resurrection was awful. Also another one would be Crying Freeman -_- so bad so much nudity and awful animation.
Follow and suggest movies.

Lightscameracritics.wordpress.com

Now running the 15 days of halloween.
GrubbTheFragger

Postby TheSubtleDoctor » Wed Aug 17, 2011 3:12 pm

Mr. Hat'n'Clogs (post: 1497463) wrote:Amestris, the name of the country in Arakawa's manga and in Brotherhood, is based off of England
Side note/tangent for the interested: There is a line of thinking advocated by Helen McCarthy that the Japanese place both England and the English on something of a pedestal. Instead of going into the various reasons behind this theory, just listen to her talk about it (all-too-briefly).
TheSubtleDoctor

Postby Neane » Wed Aug 17, 2011 8:36 pm

After watching it, I nominate Roots Search.
It's really, really awful.
Neane

Postby EpicLotus » Thu Aug 18, 2011 12:31 pm

I haven't seen this one mentioned yet, but by far the worst anime I've ever seen is:

Ragnarok: The Animation

It's based on a Korean MMORPG, which sounded promising when I first decided to give the show a try on Hulu. The first couple of episodes were mildly interesting, but then the show just gave up. It repeated the exact same story-arc at least three or four times, with only the setting changed. I'm not exaggerating. There was no character development in the entire show. In fact, the ending (which I won't spoil for those as masochistic as myself to watch the entire 26 episode run) had pretty much no build-up. They just jumped into a concluding arc with the final two episodes, and while I had hoped that some kind of epic payoff might eventually turn up, the ending completely sucked.

This was my experience:
First 6 episodes: Okay, this is kind of interesting. I guess I'll watch it to see where it goes from here.
Next 10 episodes: This has to go somewhere eventually, doesn't it? DOESN'T IT?!?!
Final 10 episodes: Oh my word, this really isn't going to go anywhere. Well, I've come this far, I might as well finish it just to say I finished it.
Final thoughts: You know what? It wasn't worth it. It was not worth being able to say I finished it. It was this, minus the alka-seltzer:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFKifpMtlNs

Hands down, the most boring, slow, uninteresting, undeveloping, repetitive anime I have ever watched. All of the things I love about anime: artwork, complex stories, beautiful music, characters who grow... Ragnarok the Animation spits on them all.
EpicLotus

Postby Song_of_Storms » Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:47 pm

[font="Book Antiqua"]I have a couple ~

* Shattered Angels

This anime is actually painful... it's a lot of lamenting about nothing, you know? I mean, I enjoy poetic descriptions but this exceeds the bounds of good taste. Also, when Kuu is trying to be serious ( as in it's suppose to be taken serious ) I end up laughing!

* Rumbling Hearts

I've watched a lot of series with perverted lead males. I still hate them for it, but this was the first series I really, honestly thought the lead male was a total scum-bag. There's just something about sleeping with your comatose-girlfriend's best friend that is just sick.-and then having the gaul to act like her wanting to move in together would be "betraying your comatose-girlfriend"... really?! I figured SLEEPING with her had already done that. Oh, and before your girlfriend even gets to the comatose state, you try and force her to sleep with you when she doesn't want to... that was a very disturbing scene. @o@

* Ikki Tousen

There's nothing to like about this series. If you somehow forgo the sexist, perverted romp you are left with... well, a very, very VERY cheesy series. So cheesy its painful.[/font]
ImageImage ImageImageImage
Song_of_Storms

Postby Nate » Thu Aug 18, 2011 11:32 pm

Song_of_Storms wrote:Ikki Tousen

This stands as one of the most disappointing anime I've ever seen, because on its own the premise sounds pretty awesome. Famous generals from the Three Kingdoms era being reborn in the modern day! It sounds really awesome, and then almost immediately the entire concept gets dumped in favor of torn clothes, torn clothes everywhere! They just didn't really care about the plot and used it as an excuse to throw in a bunch of nudity.

Nate

Postby Juliannesan » Fri Aug 19, 2011 4:05 am

I can definitely second Rumbling Hearts, in the end, its just a horriblehorrible soap opera.
ImageImage
Juliannesan

Postby seaglass27 » Fri Aug 19, 2011 7:43 am

My vote goes to Speed Racer.

My favorite bit of dialogue from the show:
Speed: Trixie, this is no time to act like a girl.
Trixie: Okay, I'll be brave.
seaglass27

Postby seaglass27 » Fri Aug 19, 2011 7:46 am

the_wolfs_howl (post: 1497386) wrote:I don't feel like you can definitively say what THE worst anime ever is, unless you've seen every single anime that exists, which is physically impossible as far as I know.

I've done it. :X
seaglass27

Previous Next

Return to Anime and Anime Reviews