Giving thanks for our bountiful [Fall 2011] anime

The real heart of CAA; discuss specific series, issues, and things related to anime here.

Giving thanks for our bountiful [Fall 2011] anime

Postby blkmage » Thu Jul 28, 2011 12:52 pm

To be observed on the second Monday of October, as all proper nations do.

Much like the threads before it, this is a thread I created for the discussion of new anime that will be airing on TV in Japan in the Fall 2011 season. Anime typically gets released and runs for a number of seasons. The year is divided up into four seasons: January to March is winter, April to June is spring, July to September is summer, and October to December is fall. Each season is approximately 13 weeks.

Here, we can talk about what shows look interesting, what we plan to watch, and generally get giddy and excited for things that we've been anticipating for a while.

---

[SIZE="5"]Guilty Crown[/SIZE]
Original
Studio: Production I.G., Director: Araki Tetsuro (Death Note, Highschool of the Dead, Kurozuka), Music: ryo (supercell), Character Design: redjuice

A sci-fi original anime for noitaminA. It's set in a dystopian near-future with a virus outbreak, shady multinational organization, and a resistance movement. Throw in a guy with special powers and a fated encounter. Honestly, it seems very un-noitaminA to me. However, there seems to be an unusually heavy amount of supercell involvement, with both the composer (ryo) and an illustrator (redjuice).

[SIZE="5"]UN-GO[/SIZE]
Novel by Sakaguchi Ango
Studio: Bones, Director: Mizushima Seiji (Fullmetal Alchemist, Hanamaru Kindergarten, Mobile Suit Gundam 00)

This appears to be a loose adaptation of a mystery novel by Sakaguchi Ango, set in the near future. Apparently, a bunch of people from the first FMA anime are working on this.

[SIZE="5"]Mobile Suit Gundam AGE[/SIZE]
Original
Studio: Sunrise, Director: Yamaguchi Susumu (Keroro Gunso movie 2, 3, 4), Writer: Hino Akihiro (Inazuma Eleven, Professor Layton)

A new AU Gundam. Spanning one hundred years and three generations, we'll be following three main characters through a war against extraterrestrial invaders. Even though the art style and concept may seem kiddy, it is being handled by Level-5, the guys behind Inazuma Eleven and Professor Layton. That should inspire some confidence in this admittedly unorthodox Gundam.

[SIZE="5"]Fate/Zero[/SIZE]
Light novel by Urobuchi Gen
Studio: ufotable, Director: Aoki Ei (Ga-Rei: Zero, Kara no Kyoukai, Hourou Musuko), Music: Kajiura Yuki (Puella Magi Madoka Magica, Kara no Kyoukai Cast: Kawasumi Ayako, Koyama Rikiya, Ohtsuka Akio, Namikawa Daisuke, Nakata Jouji, Midorikawa Hikaru, Ohara Sayaka, Seki Tomokazu

Fate/Zero a prequel to Fate/stay night. The Holy Grail War is an event in which seven magi are chosen to fight for the right to have a wish granted by the Holy Grail. They are aided by one Servant each, a spiritual manifestation of one of humanity's heroes. Rather than the shenanigans of the Fifth Holy Grail War depicted in Fate/stay night, Fate/Zero covers the Fourth Holy Grail War, which is a much more grim affair. Unlike Madoka, there will be no good end here.

[SIZE="5"]Mashiro-Iro Symphony[/SIZE]
Visual novel by Palette
Studio: Manglobe, Director: Suganama Eiji (Kodomo no Jikan, Sasameki Koto)

Another in a long line of visual novel adaptations. An all-girls' school is opening merging with a normal school and our lucky protagonist is one of the few guys who got into the beta for the merger.

[SIZE="5"]LAST EXILE: Fam, the Silver Wing[/SIZE]
Sequel
Studio: Gonzo, Director: Chigira Koichi (Full Metal Panic, Last Exile), Character Design: Murata Range, Cast: Kayano Ai, Toyosaki Aki, Yuuki Aoi, Kitamura Eri, Sawashiro Miyuki, Orikasa Fumiko, Fukuyama Jun, Konishi Katsuyuki, Nakamura Yuuichi

Gonzo rises from its grave to bring a sequel to one of its most successful shows. Well, not quite exactly a sequel, as it happens to take place in a parallel universe.

[SIZE="5"]Horizon on the Middle of Nowhere[/SIZE]
Light novel by Kawakami Minoru
Studio: Sunrise, Director: Ono Manabu (A-Channel, Saki, Dragonaut: The Resonance), Cast: Fukuyama Jun, Chihara Minori

In the future, humans ruin the earth and have to live in an upper world, but end up ruining that too, so they go back to earth. Unfortunately, earth doesn't have much habitable space, so they create a parallel version of that space start history over. The story takes place in the middle ages of the repeating history of the parallel world.

[SIZE="5"]Kimi to Boku[/SIZE]
Manga by Hotta Kiichi
Studio: J.C. Staff, Director: Kanbe Mamoru (Sora no Woto, Elfen Lied, Denpateki na Kanojo), Cast: Uchiyama Kouki, Irino Miyu, Kimura Ryohei, Toyonaga Toshiyuki, Ono Yuuki

Based on a slice of life manga about a group of four childhood friends in high school. Except they're guys, which is something I've been wondering how long they'd get around to. Lest you think that it's something awful like an otome game adaptation or something, I have read the manga and I think it's surefine.

[SIZE="5"]Chihayafuru[/SIZE]
Manga by Suetsugu Yuki
Studio: Madhouse, Director: Asaka Morio (Cardcaptor Sakura, Chobits, Nana)

Based on a josei manga in which a girl discovers her life's passion: Hyakunin Isshu, a traditional Japanese card game.
blkmage

Postby blkmage » Thu Jul 28, 2011 12:52 pm

[SIZE="5"]Phi Brain: Kami no Puzzle[/SIZE]
Original
Studio: Sunrise, Director: Sato Junichi (Aria, Kaleido Star, Tamayura), Cast: Fukuyama Jun, Asanuma Shintaro

A high school student who loves solving puzzles gets drafted by a mysterious organization to do puzzle solving battles. Nothing about this looks like anything I usually associate Junichi Sato with.

[SIZE="5"]Persona 4 the Animation[/SIZE]
JRPG by Atlus
Studio: AIC ASTA, Director: Kishi Seiji (Angel Beats!, Kamisama Dolls, Seto no Hanayome), Cast: Koshimizu Ami, Namikawa Daisuke, Morkubo Shotaro, Horie Yui

A real adaptation of a Persona game (unlike that ~Trinity Soul~ thing). I hear people like this. Also, the voice cast will be the same as the game's.

[SIZE="5"]Boku wa Tomodachi ga Sukunai[/SIZE]
Light novel by Hirasaka Yomi
Studio: AIC Build, Director: Saito Hisashi (Bamboo Blade, Sora no Otoshimono), Cast: Hanazawa Kana, Itou Kanae, Inoue Marina, Fukuen Misato, Yamamoto Nozomi, Iguchi Yuka, Kimura Ryohei

A guy who looks like a delinquent meets a smart, beautiful, and unsociable girl. They form a club for making friends and get recruits and shenanigans happen. It looks like generic bad light novel, but the staff has had its hand in some decent comedies, so it could work out.

[SIZE="5"]Maji de Watashi ni Koi Shinasai!![/SIZE]
Visual novel by MinatoSoft
Studio: Lerche, Director: Motonoga Keitaro (School Days, Akane-Iro ni Somaru Saka, Tayutama), Cast: Kamiya Hiroshi, Asakawa Yuu, Hyousei, Tomonaga Akane

Colloquially known as Majikoi, it's one of the few visual novels that has enough traction to get translated by someone. Apparently, the story is basically childhood friends, school life, and battling. Of course, whether it survives adaptation is another question.

[SIZE="5"]Mirai Nikki[/SIZE]
Manga by Esuno Sakae
Studio: asread, Director: Hosoda Naoto (Shuffle!, Minami-ke Okawari), Cast: Togashi Misuzu, Murata Tomosa

A boy gets thrown into a deadly game where each participant is given a special diary that tells some aspect of the future. He is also joined by the class idol, who is obsessed with him. Honestly, the yandere pretty much carries this entire manga, which falls off a cliff near the end. To make matters worse, it is being produced by an abysmal studio.

[SIZE="5"]Cube X Cursed X Curious[/SIZE]
Light novel by Minase Hazuki
Studio: Silver Link, Director: Oonuma Shin (ef, Baka to Test to Shoukanju), Cast: Tamura Yukari, Kaji Yuuki, Iguchi Yuka, Chihara Minori, Kitamura Eri

A guy gets a mysterious box sent to him by his father who's overseas. It turns out there's a naked girl inside. It also goes by the mathematical notation form of the statement "C to the power of 3", but that is impossible to write on a forum.

[SIZE="5"]Ben-To[/SIZE]
Light novel by Asaura
Studio: David Production, Director: Itagaki Shin (Basquash!, Devil May Cry)

The premise involves destitute high school student embroiled in a brawl for a half price bento.

[SIZE="5"]Coppelion[/SIZE]
Manga by Inoue Tomonori

A nuclear disaster happens near Tokyo and many years later, it's a ghost town. The JSDF sends in three high school girls who are genetically modified to be immune to radiation to search for survivors.

[SIZE="5"]Tamayura ~Hitotose~[/SIZE]
Sequel
Studio: HAL Film Maker, Director: Sato Junichi (Aria, Kaleido Star, Tamayura), Cast: Taketatsu Ayana, Asumi Kana, Iguchi Yuka, Gibu Yuko

An original iyashikei show about a girl who's into photography by the director behind Aria. This started out as a four episode OVA and strong sales have rewarded fans with this TV animation.

[SIZE="5"]Working'!![/SIZE]
Sequel
Studio: A-1 Pictures, Director: Ootsuki Atsushi (Kanokon, Ladies versus Butlers, Motto To Love-Ru), Cast: Fukuyama Jun, Asumi Kana, Fujita Saki, Hiroshi Kamiya, Ono Daisuke, Kitamura Eri, Nakamura Yuuichi

The second season of that restaurant comedy show with the catchy song. Yes, the there is an apostrophe in the title because the production committee apparently did not have the foresight to anticipate a second season and they foolishly used two exclamation marks when one would have sufficed. Yamada is still hungry for chaos. Unfortunately, the director change does not bode well.

[SIZE="5"]Shinryaku!? Ika Musume[/SIZE]
Sequel
Studio: Diomedea, Director: Yamamoto Yasutaka (Valkyria Chronicles), Cast: Fujimura Ayumi, Kanemoto Hisako, Tanaka Rie

The second season of that comedy show with the squid puns. The addition of a question mark to the title could be a portent of some kind of existential crisis that will befall Ika Musume.

[SIZE="5"]Bakuman Second Season[/SIZE]
Sequel
Studio: J.C. Staff

The second season of that anime adaptation of a Shounen Jump manga about trying to get an anime adaptation of a Shounen Jump manga.

[SIZE="5"]Shakugan no Shana III[/SIZE]
Sequel
Studio: J.C. Staff, Director: Watanabe Takashi (Ikkitousen, Freezing, Slayers), Cast: Kugimiya Rie, Satoshi Hino

Our long national nightmare is almost over.
blkmage

Postby mechana2015 » Thu Jul 28, 2011 1:36 pm

Coppeliom, Persona and AGE are the first things to grab my attention. Kimi to Boku is the second.

My Deviantart
"MOES. I can has Sane Sig now?"
mechana2015

Postby MasterDias » Thu Jul 28, 2011 1:40 pm

LAST EXILE: Fam, the Silver Wing
Sequel
Studio: Gonzo, Director: Chigira Koichi (Full Metal Panic, Last Exile), Character Design: Murata Range, Cast: Kayano Ai, Toyosaki Aki, Yuuki Aoi, Kitamura Eri, Sawashiro Miyuki, Orikasa Fumiko, Fukuyama Jun, Konishi Katsuyuki, Nakamura Yuuichi

Gonzo rises from its grave to bring a sequel to one of its most successful shows. Well, not exactly a sequel, as it happens to take place in an alternate universe.

Alternate universe?
At least three characters from the original cast are returning.

Coppelion
Manga by Inoue Tomonori

A nuclear disaster happens near Tokyo and many years later, it's a ghost town. The JSDF sends in three high school girls who are genetically modified to be immune to radiation to search for survivors.

This one's pretty much up in the air given recent events in Japan I think. At the very least, it will probably be delayed.
-----------------------------------------
"Always seek to do good to one another and to all."
1 Thessalonians 5:15

"Every story must have an ending." - Auron - Final Fantasy X

"A small stone may make a ripple at first, but someday it will be a wave." - Wiegraf - Final Fantasy Tactics
MasterDias

Postby mechana2015 » Thu Jul 28, 2011 1:50 pm

MasterDias (post: 1493499) wrote:Alternate universe?
At least three characters from the original cast are returning.

From people that saw Ep. 1 at AX's reports, it's not alternate, it's a parallel universe with some recurring charachters, and a possiblity for crossovers or something like that. Either way, apparantly Dio is back.

MasterDias (post: 1493499) wrote:This one's pretty much up in the air given recent events in Japan I think. At the very least, it will probably be delayed.

Considering how anime production schedules work, this probably was both greenlighted and started production (if it's even in production yet) AFTER all that happened. I suspect no delays unless it's found to be offensive after the fact.

My Deviantart
mechana2015

Postby blkmage » Thu Jul 28, 2011 1:53 pm

Yeah, my bad, I was working from memory. Parallel is definitely more accurate.
blkmage

Postby mechana2015 » Thu Jul 28, 2011 1:55 pm

I'll actually also be watching LE: Fam (at least the first episode) to give it a chance.

My Deviantart
mechana2015

Postby blkmage » Thu Jul 28, 2011 2:06 pm

I don't think it'd be surprising to see Coppelion delayed if they wanted to. Rainbow was notorious for showing up on a few season previews before actually getting to air.

I think you all know that the only thing I've been waiting for all this time is [S]Shana III[/S] Fate/Zero.
blkmage

Postby Neane » Thu Jul 28, 2011 2:08 pm

Thanks for the post!:thumb:
I'm personally waiting for Mirai Nikki and Shakugan no Shana III.
Neane

Postby MasterDias » Thu Jul 28, 2011 2:14 pm

mechana2015 (post: 1493500) wrote:Considering how anime production schedules work, this probably was both greenlighted and started production (if it's even in production yet) AFTER all that happened. I suspect no delays unless it's found to be offensive after the fact.

It was greenlit last year actually, way before any of that happened. It was one of the earliest of the Fall 2011 series to be announced. The fact that no updates have occurred since then is not a very good sign. Also various other websites and recent charts have removed it from the list of Fall 11 anime, although I don't know if they have any new information.
-----------------------------------------
"Always seek to do good to one another and to all."
1 Thessalonians 5:15

"Every story must have an ending." - Auron - Final Fantasy X

"A small stone may make a ripple at first, but someday it will be a wave." - Wiegraf - Final Fantasy Tactics
MasterDias

Postby Fish and Chips » Thu Jul 28, 2011 2:21 pm

mechana2015 (post: 1493500) wrote:Either way, apparantly Dio is back.

Oh wait, Gonzo already covered that base.
Fish and Chips

Postby Sapphire225 » Thu Jul 28, 2011 2:22 pm

Mirai Nikki definately. I was dissapointed when I was at first expecting tha anime, only to get an OVA of the first volume.

Gundam Age seems alright, but only time will tell.

Fate/Zero, definately. Un-Go definately.
"Because the World isn't as cruel as you take it to be." ~ Celty, Durarara!!

Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid or terrified because of them, for the LORD your God goes with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you."
~Deuteronomy 31:6

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We live in a fantasy world, a world of illusion. The great task in life is to find reality. ~ Iris Murdoch
Sapphire225

Postby mechana2015 » Thu Jul 28, 2011 2:22 pm

>.o Ow. I didn't know Coppelion had been up in fall before.

The more you know =*

Hopefully this comes out sometime... I'd like to see it eventually.

My Deviantart
mechana2015

Postby blkmage » Thu Jul 28, 2011 2:52 pm

Hmm, yeah, its status on Moon Phase seems to have been changed from "autumn 2011" to "frozen?".
blkmage

Postby Atria35 » Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:47 pm

Sapphire225 (post: 1493512) wrote:Mirai Nikki definately. I was dissapointed when I was at first expecting tha anime, only to get an OVA of the first volume.

And it wasn't even an OVA, it was a preview. I was SO disappointed!

For sure:
Coppellion
Mirai Nikki
Tamayura
Kimi to Boku (I have the manga ready to read. I'll check it out before the anime airs)

Maybe:
Phi: Brain
Guilty Crown
Horizon on the Middle of Nowhere
Last Exile
UN-GO

The maybe's are the ones I'm going to see reactions from other people before dipping my toes in the pond.
Atria35

Postby MightiMidget » Thu Jul 28, 2011 4:02 pm

Guilty Crown
UN-GO
Horizon on the Middle of Nowhere
Persona 4
Coppelion

Maybe:
Fate/Zero
Mirai Nikki

In my present state of overwhelmed of boredom for most of what I'm following (and not wanting to drop so many things :/ ), I'm veering only toward sci-fi and...Bones. Because Bones is almost always awesome. Hopefully at least one of them will be a solid hit. :)
MightiMidget

Postby blkmage » Thu Jul 28, 2011 4:20 pm

Oh yeah, here's a P4A trailer that's been making the rounds this week.
blkmage

Postby Yamamaya » Thu Jul 28, 2011 4:40 pm

There is a noticable lack of Fish rage at the fact that another Last Exile animu is being made.

I'll definitely be watching Fate/zero.
Yamamaya

Postby yuta20 » Thu Jul 28, 2011 4:41 pm

Persona 4 anime? Quite surprising, the games was released almost 3 years ago. I think i'll have to watch every first episode to see what i want to watch in fall season, just like i did in this season.
yuta20

Postby mechana2015 » Thu Jul 28, 2011 4:43 pm

I love how everyone forgets that I was so mad at the LE series I didn't finish it, while fish actually finished it, and they call him out about it all the time. Seriously though, stop throwing it in his face, it's bordering on trolling at this point.

My Deviantart
mechana2015

Postby Wallachia » Fri Jul 29, 2011 2:02 pm

I'm looking forward to Fate/Zero quite a bit, and the Persona 4 anime might be a decent adaption.

I'll probably wait for Mirai Nikki to end before I give it a watch. Not that it isn't very high on my priority list, but I rarely watch currently airing shows and try to limit myself to only watching one or two series at a time. (Which might seem contradictory considering I have 5 shows under my watching category on MAL, that was a mistake and it's slowed me down considerably...)

Wallachia

Postby AnimeGirl » Fri Jul 29, 2011 3:24 pm

A few of these seems interesting. I'll have to see if any of them end up on Crunchyroll first, but so far, not too many titles have grabbed my attention. Though that Horizon on the Middle of Nowhere looks kinda interesting, and Jun Fukuyama is in it. And Kimi to Boku (if it's....hopefully not a BL) has Miyu Irino in it <333 I might give it a shot, 'cause anything about childhood friendships always interest me, 'cause having a friend for so long is always AWESOME!!! And Maji de Watashi ni Koi Shinasai!! looks interesting, too.
"For what use is there in praying if you will only hear what you want to hear." - As I Lay Dying *The Sound Of Truth*

Let's make an AMV together!

Kokoro no Uta The thoughts of an aspiring mangaka (yeah...this is my blog >.>)

Ooh look! I have fanfiction! YAY!!!!!!!
http://www.fanfiction.net/~sevencandlesticks
If you like Tsubasa and Cardcaptors, then you might like what I've written (if I didn't slaughter the series... XD)

He heals the brokenhearted and binds up their wounds - Pslam 147:3
AnimeGirl

Postby Atria35 » Fri Jul 29, 2011 3:56 pm

AnimeGirl (post: 1493767) wrote: And Kimi to Boku (if it's....hopefully not a BL) has Miyu Irino in it <333 I might give it a shot, 'cause anything about childhood friendships always interest me, 'cause having a friend for so long is always AWESOME!!!.

I will answer here and now: Kimi to Boku is not BL. I'm about to read the manga *excite* because I think I'm going to really enjoy the show too!
Atria35

Postby Mr. Hat'n'Clogs » Fri Jul 29, 2011 4:30 pm

So what is going on with Shaft? Shinbo is pretty renowned for doing a ridiculous number of projects but this is the second season of them not doing any shows. Right after they made my list of people to always check out.

Hotaru no Mori e
Manga by Midorikawa Yuki
Studio: Brain's Base, Director: Omori Takahiro (Baccano!, Durarara!!, Princess Jellyfish, Natsume Yujincho), Music: Yoshimori Makoto (Baccano!, Durarara!!, Princess Jellyfish, Natsume Yuujincho), Cast: Uchiyama Kouki, Sakura Ayane

The story of Hotaru no Mori e centers around Hotaru, a little girl who gets lost in an enchanted forest where apparitions reside. A young boy, Gin, appears before Hotaru, but she cannot touch him for fear of making him disappear. Also, this has like everyone who did the excellent Natsume Yuujincho anime adaptation and is based on a manga by the same person who wrote Natsume.

Am hyped.
Mr. Hat'n'Clogs

Postby blkmage » Fri Jul 29, 2011 5:29 pm

Not that we'll be able to watch them until like half a year later, but the other movies are a Suite Precure movie, the K-ON! movie, something to do with S-CRY-ED, an Inazuma GO movie, and that Madhouse movie that was delayed from last season. Oh, and Gundam UC 04.
blkmage

Postby blkmage » Wed Aug 03, 2011 11:03 am

[SIZE="5"]Hunter × Hunter[/SIZE]
Manga by Togashi Yoshihiro
Studio: Madhouse, Director: Koujina Hiroshi (Grenadier, Majin Tantei Nougami Neuro, RAINBOW), Cast: Han Megumi, Ise Mariya, Fujiwara Keiji, Sawashiro Miyuki, Namikawa Daisuke

Hunter × Hunter, colloquially known as Hiatus × Hiatus, is a long-running shounen manga from 1998. It has been adapted into animation before, as a TV anime and several OVAs over the years. It's been subject to frequent hiatuses over the last few years and is still not finished. This new anime is going to be a reboot, much like Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood. Whether it'll follow the manga storyline to its completion is still a mystery.
blkmage

Postby TheSubtleDoctor » Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:21 pm

blkmage (post: 1495026) wrote:Whether it'll follow the manga storyline to its completion is still a mystery.
to its completion

Completion, lol. That'll be the day...

(prove me wrong Togashi!!)
TheSubtleDoctor

Postby goldenspines » Wed Aug 03, 2011 1:36 pm

Late arrival to the thread, but still excited.
I need to get back into watching the new anime, so I’ll try to count myself in a bit more this season.
Guilty Crown, UN-GO, Horizon on the Middle of Nowhere, and Mashiro-iro Smyphony pique my interest enough to give them a first episode watch. The new Gundam looks rather cutesy, but that probably means I may like it. >_>
Kimi to Boku I’ll definitely watch through if I can help it. What I read of the manga was excellent (need to finish it one of these days XP)
Phi Brain: Kami no Puzzle looks a bit…unpromising. But it has puzzles. PUZZLES. So it’ll get some of my time.
Persona 4 the Animation is a solid watch for the season. Since I will have no chance to play the game, I hope the anime is the next best thing. It had better live up to expectations.

Also, only because of the picture Hat posted for it, Hotaru no Mori e seems like a worthy title to add to the watch list.
goldenspines

Postby ShiroiHikari » Wed Aug 03, 2011 1:53 pm

Yay Gundam AGE; definitely looking forward to that.

Wait...

P-- P-- P-- Persona 4 anime?! YESSSSS. Oh man I hope it doesn't suck.
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby Nanao » Wed Aug 03, 2011 3:55 pm

So much anime so little time *laments*

At first glance...
Un-go and Fate/Zero - Both grabbed my attention, so I'll definitely give them a go.
Hotaru no Mori e - will definitely check this one out too since I'm really enjoying Natsume Yujincho.

As time allows: Mashiro-Iro and Last Exile looked pretty good.
[color="RoyalBlue"]My help comes from the Lord, maker of heaven and earth.[/color] Psalm 121:2
[color="Pink"]@)[/color][color="Green"]}~`,~[/color] Thanks, To All The CAA Moderators.
Nanao

Next

Return to Anime and Anime Reviews