Anime Cons

Talk about anything in here.

Anime Cons

Postby Seto_Sora » Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:11 pm

So I wasn't aware of any Manga Con thread; thought I'd start one! ^_^ I was seriously thinking about going to a Anime Convention. I'm still pretty new to Anime, so I was wondering if any of you have attended any. Are they worth going to? Are they fun? Carnal? Any thoughts?

SDG
This

Seto_Sora

Postby Atria35 » Thu Feb 24, 2011 5:36 am

I know that we do have at least one other convention thread, but I can't find it ATM.

I've been to two conventions, both of them ACen. Except for the fact that the second time around I forgot to pre-order my pass and ended up waiting 7 hours in line because they couldn't get their act together with registration and the printers- pretty much missed the entire first day- I really did have fun.

The panels were awesome (I always have to pick and choose which ones I'm going to- always hard! But they tend to run at the same time!), the cosplays fun to look at, and the other activities wonderful. I generally like the singers/bands they bring in for concerts.

Food? Expensive. Either go to a McDonald's or bring your own (I did this for lunches. Worked out great).

I have to say that I am super sad that I haven't been able to afford to go for the last two years. But... c'est la vie. It is expensive. I always recommend having $100 at least on hand, esp. if you want art. Never buy anime since it tends to be wholepriced. Manga is usually a good deal.
Atria35

Postby Ante Bellum » Thu Feb 24, 2011 5:38 am

ACen? I wanted to go to that but...now I don't. I heard it was a bit poor lately. And I don't know how I'd handle a large con after Detour.
Ante Bellum

Postby aliveinHim » Thu Feb 24, 2011 5:40 am

I'm going to a really small one. My friend and I are going together. I'm torn between cosplaying as Kakashi Hatake or Kiba Inuzuka. My friend will be Princess Peach. I'm making both our outfits. I'm really excieted. The one I'm going to is more affordable. There will be a ton of food for a cheap price. I'm saving up my money to blow there. I will be broke when I come back. I preordered my pass when it was only 10 dollars. It's now $15.
"And you He made alive, who were dead in trespasses and sins, in which you once walked according to the course of this world, according to the prince of the power of the air, the spirit who now works in the sons of disobedience, among whom also we all once conducted ourselves in the lusts of our flesh, fulfilling the desires of the flesh and of the mind, and were by nature children of wrath, just as the others.
But God, who is rich in mercy, because of His great love with which He loved us, even when we were dead in trespasses, made us alive together with Christ (by grace you have been saved), and raised us up together, and made us sit together in the heavenly places in Christ Jesus, that in the ages to come He might show the exceeding riches of His grace in His kindness toward us in Christ Jesus." Ephesians 2:1-7

http://oribichan94.deviantart.com/
aliveinHim

Postby Atria35 » Thu Feb 24, 2011 5:45 am

Ante Bellum (post: 1461316) wrote:ACen? I wanted to go to that but...now I don't. I heard it was a bit poor lately. And I don't know how I'd handle a large con after Detour.

It has had some incidents, both times I went. But as long as I pre-ordered my pass, then things went okay.
Atria35

Postby aliveinHim » Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:53 pm

Anime cons are something you need to be careful about cuz there can be some really crazy people and not necessarily the most godly.
"And you He made alive, who were dead in trespasses and sins, in which you once walked according to the course of this world, according to the prince of the power of the air, the spirit who now works in the sons of disobedience, among whom also we all once conducted ourselves in the lusts of our flesh, fulfilling the desires of the flesh and of the mind, and were by nature children of wrath, just as the others.
But God, who is rich in mercy, because of His great love with which He loved us, even when we were dead in trespasses, made us alive together with Christ (by grace you have been saved), and raised us up together, and made us sit together in the heavenly places in Christ Jesus, that in the ages to come He might show the exceeding riches of His grace in His kindness toward us in Christ Jesus." Ephesians 2:1-7

aliveinHim

Postby Nate » Thu Feb 24, 2011 2:07 pm

I've been to Otakon for the last four or five years in a row and it's always been a blast. I went to another, smaller con in Durham NC called Animazement that was pretty cool too.

The weird thing is,that one small con I went to had better guests (in my opinion) than Otakon has ever had. It had Keiko Han AND Chika Sakamoto! Those are not small-time voice actresses. Those are like...two big names. I don't know why they were at a tiny convention that had only a couple of thousand people (maybe not even that many) but I'm not complaining because they were awesome.

Hopefully I'll get a job and some money so I can make Otakon again this year.

EDIT: Oh yeah I went to AX one year! It was pretty cool, but I had way more fun meeting and hanging out with CAA people than I did at the actual con itself. The con was...not very well set up, but the west coasters who had been to AX before that year said that it was because they picked a crappy location for it when I went, and it had been better before.

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby ClosetOtaku » Thu Feb 24, 2011 2:32 pm

I have attended the DC-area conventions (Otakon, Katsucon, AnimeUSA) every year since 2005. Just got back from Katsucon last weekend.

Obviously, I think they are worth going to (from my perspective, yours may be different). Yes, they are fun. Yes, they are carnal. If you are going to go, be prepared beforehand.

Know that most of the attendees probably don't share your faith, or at least not to the degree you do. I was in a panel last week where the moderator was asking about differing religious persuasions, and when he asked how many Christians were in the room, about a quarter of the room raised their hands. (That was surprising to me.) For the most part, the attendees are not evidently religious, most being agnostic or atheist, by my guess.

You will see all manner of dress, including some clothing that might be considered too revealing at the average beach.

If you are not careful, you will wander into sections of the Dealer's room that sell hentai anime, obscene doujin, yuri and yaoi... Normally they are marked, so you know to keep your distance.

Fortunately, many panels and workshops that deal with mature subject matter are normally restricted (18+). That doesn't mean you'll be clear of all manner of innuendo or even some cartoon inappropriateness (I should have read more about Strike Witches before I wandered into the video room, but I digress...).

So, that's the carnality, from my point of view. If you aren't dissuaded yet, then you are likely in for an enjoyable experience, being surrounded by people (mostly teenagers and young adults) who are just as much into anime -- and video games, and Star Trek, and other geek stuff -- as you are, if not more.

Other questions?
"If I find in myself a desire which no experience in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world." -- C.S. Lewis
ClosetOtaku

Postby Atria35 » Thu Feb 24, 2011 2:41 pm

aliveinHim (post: 1461389) wrote:Anime cons are something you need to be careful about cuz there can be some really crazy people and not necessarily the most godly.

You mean kinda like every time you go out in public?

It's the same deal, just that these people are all into anime.
Atria35

Postby aliveinHim » Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:06 pm

Yah, but I don't see girls walking around half naked in public (wait scratch that out, I see girls in my youth group dressing 3/4 naked).

aliveinHim

Postby Atria35 » Thu Feb 24, 2011 5:10 pm

aliveinHim (post: 1461407) wrote:Yah, but I don't see girls walking around half naked in public (wait scratch that out, I see girls in my youth group dressing 3/4 naked).

Bingo. :lol:

They're no more or less dressed proportionally than what you'd see normally, and I really do mean normally- it's snowing/hailing out here, and I saw a few girls in short shorts :shake:

But as ClosetOtaku mentioned, there are hentai dealers, but they are normally marked as such and easy to avoid. I just ignore them if I pass by.

But I would watch out for the paddle-wielders. Paddles marked with terms for yaoi relationships are somewhat popular, and you might be at risk for getting smacked on the bum with them if they're sold at the convention you go to. It happened to one of my friends, but he had the good humor to laugh it off.
Atria35

Postby Nate » Thu Feb 24, 2011 5:12 pm

aliveinHim wrote:I don't see girls walking around half naked in public

Me either.

I have the worst luck.

Nate

Postby Ante Bellum » Thu Feb 24, 2011 5:16 pm

Atria35 (post: 1461429) wrote:But I would watch out for the paddle-wielders. Paddles marked with terms for yaoi relationships are somewhat popular, and you might be at risk for getting smacked on the bum with them if they're sold at the convention you go to. It happened to one of my friends, but he had the good humor to laugh it off.

I thought a lot of cons had rules against them, and the ones that allowed them say to ask first. And besides, I don't think it happens to random people, does it? I've never heard any stories about it.
Ante Bellum

Postby mechana2015 » Thu Feb 24, 2011 5:20 pm

Nate (post: 1461392) wrote:
EDIT: The con was...not very well set up, but the west coasters who had been to AX before that year said that it was because they picked a crappy location for it when I went, and it had been better before.

Apparently that convention center requires you to work with the community?
Anyhow, from what I heard high school students designed the layout and traffic paths rather than people who actually knew what they were doing. That doesn't happen any more.

My Deviantart
"MOES. I can has Sane Sig now?"
mechana2015

Postby Atria35 » Thu Feb 24, 2011 6:01 pm

Ante Bellum (post: 1461432) wrote:I thought a lot of cons had rules against them, and the ones that allowed them say to ask first. And besides, I don't think it happens to random people, does it? I've never heard any stories about it.

Really? I hadn't heard anything about that, and it was still being done at ACen when I was going. Although that was 2 years ago, almost 3 now, so this might be the case.
Atria35

Postby goldenspines » Thu Feb 24, 2011 6:11 pm

My anime con experience is only limited to the small local cons (since I have no money to reach either east or west coast super cons), so that is what my answers will be based on. ^_^
I think anime cons are very worth going to, but more so if you have people to go with you. Although, I attended anime cons for about 4 times by my lonesome until I decided my time would be better spent being on the con staff (gives me more to do, at least XD). I still enjoyed it by myself, though and made some friends, but it's a lot more fun with a bunch of crazy friends to fan over stuff with you.
But overall, yes, they are quite fun. But usually they are also as fun as you make them. It's an extra plus if the events and guests at the con interest you.

ClosetOtaku very nicely covered all the carnal aspects of a majority of cons (that I've heard about and been to). Different cons vary depending where you go (for example, the con I go to has a more strict dress/cosplay code since they're trying to be more family friendly and such, but after 6 or 7pm, it become a more "mature themed" environment). But most cons have a basic set of rules that don't let people run wild, but it's still good to keep your head about you. :3

Hope this helped!
goldenspines

Postby ashfire » Fri Feb 25, 2011 6:24 pm

I just last weekend got to attend Katsucon after waiting for couple of years for a date that there was no snow event to keep me from going. Being the show was at National Harbor at the Gaylord Hotel and Convention Center I got to see the area and the center for the first time and only live just 15 minutes from it.
I had a few hours Sat to attend to see the AMVs, art show and get into the dealers room until I had to leave because duty called for all firefighters in the area to report due to high winds which were causing numberous brush fires burning many homes and buildings and one fire truck in the county around National Harbor.
One con that I work will be Nov 4-6 in Hampton VA. Nekocon 14. The theme will be Steampunk.
ashfire

Postby aliveinHim » Fri Feb 25, 2011 8:26 pm

What about glomping? Who's gotten glomped at a con?

aliveinHim

Postby Nate » Fri Feb 25, 2011 9:08 pm

I'm far too unattractive to get glomped. Plus I've only cosplayed twice, and both times it was as someone who isn't particularly a target for fangirls.

Nate

Postby Ante Bellum » Sat Feb 26, 2011 8:21 am

I haven't really been glomped. I have a few times, but it was mostly polite hugs. (Yes, polite. They ask first.)
Back in 2009, the hotel we were in had two elevators that were positioned between the artists' alley and the pool/consuite area, creating three short hallways. One of these, for a time, was filled with people in a line with "Glomp me" signs. The last guy actually picked me up and swung me around. I mean, I know I'm small, but still.
I went through the line twice.
Ante Bellum

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Sat Feb 26, 2011 11:00 am

I've gotten glomped once. Doesn't happen often.

Honestly, I think I'm done with Cons. I'm not sure if I'll attend this year. They've all gotten progressively more boring and my interest in anime/manga has died away as of late.
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby yukoxholic » Sat Feb 26, 2011 11:06 am

Atria35 (post: 1461429) wrote:
But I would watch out for the paddle-wielders. Paddles marked with terms for yaoi relationships are somewhat popular, and you might be at risk for getting smacked on the bum with them if they're sold at the convention you go to. It happened to one of my friends, but he had the good humor to laugh it off.

I had that happen to me last year while at Otakon when I cosplayed as Niche from Tegami Bachi. It really made me upset and VERY angry at the guy who decided to think it would be funny to randomly smack ANY girl that walked passed him. Let me just tell you there were some "words, smacked right back" to that guy from myself and the 3 other girls that he did that too. What sucked the most is Staff saw this happening and did nothing. So, yeah, be careful.

I've also gotten "glomped" by various strangers. It's ok with me as long as they ask first. I've encountered "serial glompers" as well who do not ask but normally you can see them coming as they'll call out/run/fawn their way over to you. So, most of the time you can avoid contact if you do not want it. Granted, I cosplay which is why I encounter paddlers/glompers a lot. XD

Mr. SmartyPants (post: 1461843) wrote:I've gotten glomped once. Doesn't happen often.

Honestly, I think I'm done with Cons. I'm not sure if I'll attend this year. They've all gotten progressively more boring and my interest in anime/manga has died away as of late.

Awwwyou! But we've yet to meet up again MSP! ^_^ But yeah, I know what you mean. My interest in anime/manga has very much dwindled down to only 1 or 2 different titles/series. I don't know if I will attend Otakon this year unless they have an awesome musical guest(s) but it would have to be pretty HUGE for me to plunk down x amount of $$. :D So, we shall see!
yukoxholic

Postby AnimeGirl » Sat Feb 26, 2011 11:10 am

Reply to original post:

Yeah, I've been to an anime convention once. Last year, at Anime Expo AX 2010. It was fun and I had no problems personally. I did see a huge yaoi manga section though, and I saw a couple of male cosplayers cosplaying as females. So yeah, you'll see some weird stuff, but if you ever go to one, pray first. I'm going to AX again this year, but this time as an artist (Artist Alley, FTW!!!) so that'll be a whole new experience for me.

Just pray about it first, and if you go, prayer for God to guard your mind and your heart.
"For what use is there in praying if you will only hear what you want to hear." - As I Lay Dying *The Sound Of Truth*

Let's make an AMV together!

Kokoro no Uta The thoughts of an aspiring mangaka (yeah...this is my blog >.>)

Ooh look! I have fanfiction! YAY!!!!!!!
http://www.fanfiction.net/~sevencandlesticks
If you like Tsubasa and Cardcaptors, then you might like what I've written (if I didn't slaughter the series... XD)

He heals the brokenhearted and binds up their wounds - Pslam 147:3
AnimeGirl

Postby ChristianKitsune » Sat Feb 26, 2011 11:40 am

I haven't been to a con since 2007. I feel kinda sad about that. XD I simply haven't had the extra funds to go and my parents would give this "You can't be wasting your money" like that.

And I prefer to go to Cons to sell artwork and stuff haha! I still have a badge maker and button press though so maybe when I finish college I'll do some more artist alleys :)
ImageImage
Stick Monkey Chronicles
Web-Manga Hosted by: The Project
ChristianKitsune

Location: In my sketchbook of wonderment and puffy pink clouds! *\^o^/*

Postby wildpurplechild » Mon Feb 28, 2011 6:20 pm

I just got bacvk from a con this weekend! I love anime conventions!! My favorite has been Acen, which is huge and soo much fun! It is really expensive, but you get to meet some cool people, take awesome pics, pannels, concerts, cosplay, and other awesome stuff!
Who is going to Acen this year?
Cosplaying is really fun! My fav has been Rin with my friend as Len from Vocaloid. I really love that anime cons have so much merchandise! I spend too much, but I think it's really neat to see everything. The artists alley's are cool, and I love those adorable animal hats.
I have never been glomped, but people can be really crazy. The best way to avoid the crazies is to stay in a group and leave with your group when people start being weird... Oh and don't go out late at night when people have been drinking.
Heads up, I don't go on this site much these days...
The King is enthralled by your beauty; honor him, for he is your lord. Psalm 45:11
wildpurplechild

Postby Atria35 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:52 pm

I wish I were going to ACen this year. But I'm kinda broke for all eternity :P

Never been glomped, though. Hit on, yes. By a very gorgeous guy :D

But not glomped.
Atria35

Postby Ante Bellum » Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:21 pm

Hit on...
Closest I ever was to being hit on was at Detour in 2009, and the guy was only messing with me.
I prefer hugs.
Ante Bellum

Postby aliveinHim » Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:39 am

I love huggies!, Nate, I'm sure you're not unattractive that people wouldn't glomp/hug you. Since I'm cosplaying a guy, I'm going to watch my back. My guy cosplays have a femenine spin (instead of wearing pants, I'm wearing a skirt so I don't look like a crossdresser). The con I'm going to is extremely small but I'm soooo excieted. Since I'm a newbie con attender, I'm going to see what it's like being at a con. I'm going to end up broke by the end of the con. We all need to find a centrally located con where we can have our own con attending group and meet eachother in person.

aliveinHim

Postby Atria35 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 6:10 am

aliveinHim (post: 1462640) wrote:My guy cosplays have a femenine spin (instead of wearing pants, I'm wearing a skirt so I don't look like a crossdresser). person.

Ah! So you're doing gender-bended guys! XD (yeah, that's they're called when you change the gender of the character to a different one)
Atria35

Postby aliveinHim » Wed Mar 02, 2011 3:51 am

Yah, kind of. It's mostly to avoid getting glomped.

aliveinHim

Next

Return to General