Hymns

For all the music-lovers out there, this is your place to swap lyrics, talk about new bands and jazz about concerts. All things related to the audio world belong here.

Hymns

Postby aliveinHim » Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:59 am

Since I'm an old fashion person, I prefer hymns over CCM. What are your favs? Here's a contemporary spin on one of my favs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FG5ZhFN1DXk I've listened to this song a bajillion times.
"And you He made alive, who were dead in trespasses and sins, in which you once walked according to the course of this world, according to the prince of the power of the air, the spirit who now works in the sons of disobedience, among whom also we all once conducted ourselves in the lusts of our flesh, fulfilling the desires of the flesh and of the mind, and were by nature children of wrath, just as the others.
But God, who is rich in mercy, because of His great love with which He loved us, even when we were dead in trespasses, made us alive together with Christ (by grace you have been saved), and raised us up together, and made us sit together in the heavenly places in Christ Jesus, that in the ages to come He might show the exceeding riches of His grace in His kindness toward us in Christ Jesus." Ephesians 2:1-7

http://oribichan94.deviantart.com/
aliveinHim

Postby rocklobster » Wed Feb 23, 2011 6:04 am

"Amazing Grace"--My whole family loves this!
"Come Thou Font of Every Blessing"
"Jesus Saves"
"Ode to Joy" (to the tune of Beethoven's 9th symphony)
"Angel Band" (it was in O Brother Where Art Thou)
"Gather Us In"
"Jehovah Jireh"
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you. I appointed you to be a prophet of all nations."
--Jeremiah 1:5
Hit me up on social media!
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100007205508246<--Facebook

I'm also on Amino as Radical Edward, and on Reddit as Rocklobster as well.

click here for my playlist!
my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby Atria35 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 6:07 am

Does Amazing Grace count as a hymn? Yes? Okay.

..... That's it.

I'm not a hymn person. I like Gregorian Chant.
Atria35

Postby TWWK » Wed Feb 23, 2011 6:41 am

aliveinHim (post: 1460984) wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FG5ZhFN1DXk I've listened to this song a bajillion times.

Definitely one of my favorites! A powerful song and one that works real well when reworked in a modern way.

I enjoy more contemporary worship, but I also love hymns. I grew up singing them every Sunday, and they still have a place in my heart. Here are some of my other favorites:

Jesus Loves Me
Amazing Grace
Blessed Assurance
Just As I Am
I Surrender All
Onward, Christian Soldiers
The Solid Rock
How Great Thou Art
Turn Your Eyes Upon Jesus
In the Garden
Great Is Thy Faithfulness
What a Friend We Have in Jesus
I Stand Amazed
Beneath the Tangles: Where Manga Meets the Maker

In the colors of Your goodness/In the scars that mark your skin/In the currency of Grace/Is where my song begins
~ "Economy of Mercy," Switchfoot
TWWK

Postby aliveinHim » Wed Feb 23, 2011 6:42 am

I love everything you have on your list^. We can't forget How Deep the Father's Love for Us.
"And you He made alive, who were dead in trespasses and sins, in which you once walked according to the course of this world, according to the prince of the power of the air, the spirit who now works in the sons of disobedience, among whom also we all once conducted ourselves in the lusts of our flesh, fulfilling the desires of the flesh and of the mind, and were by nature children of wrath, just as the others.
But God, who is rich in mercy, because of His great love with which He loved us, even when we were dead in trespasses, made us alive together with Christ (by grace you have been saved), and raised us up together, and made us sit together in the heavenly places in Christ Jesus, that in the ages to come He might show the exceeding riches of His grace in His kindness toward us in Christ Jesus." Ephesians 2:1-7

aliveinHim

Postby ABlipinTime » Wed Feb 23, 2011 2:51 pm

A few old songs I have lyrics of and enjoy singing:

Alleluia Alleluia Let the Holy Anthem Rise
Holy Holy Holy
Be Thou My Vision
Great is Thy Faithfulness
What a Friend We Have in Jesus
Steadfast Love of the Lord

and of course

Joyful Joyful We Adore Thee
- God is always with us, especially when we feel most alone.
http://ablipintime.deviantart.com/
Htom Sirveaux (post: 1435089) - "We should all start speaking telepathically."
Midori (post: 1457302) "Sometimes, if I try hard, I can speak in English."
(post: 1481465) "Overthinking is an art."
Goldenspines - "Fighting the bad guys and rescuing princesses from trolls and all that. "
ABlipinTime

Postby Nate » Wed Feb 23, 2011 6:53 pm

Wait how does "How Deep the Father's Love For Us" count as a hymn? That's like CCM. It was written like a few years ago as far as I know.

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby Scarecrow » Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:30 pm

Amazing Grace
In the Garden...

And one other but I don't know the name of it and I only heard it once at my uncles funeral but that was in 1994... So I only really know the tune.

Anyway, yeah I don't like hymns much. Amazing Grace is the best. In the Garden is always played at funerals and I don't know, its appropriate and makes a nice touch for one.
"Take me down, shake me out. Give me a brain, that I might know You better"
Scarecrow

Postby Davidizer13 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:26 pm

I love hymns, mostly because they're more fun to play than the average worship song and they have better lyrics. The older ones even have metal chord progressions.

Come Thou Fount
is pretty good, especially since it uses the word "Ebenezer," and I also like There Is A Fountain Filled With Blood (see? hymns are totally metal). Come Thou Almighty King is simple, yet effective, and Nothing But the Blood and When I Survey the Wondrous Cross have plenty of power too, and they've got some fun patterns in them.
We are loved even though we suck.

Psalms 37:37 (NHEB)
Mark the perfect man, and see the upright, for there is a future for the man of peace.
Davidizer13

Postby aliveinHim » Thu Feb 24, 2011 5:42 am

I love There is a Fountain Filled with Blood. My sisters and I sing hymns all the time. I have a ton memorized. Trust and Obey is my mommy's favorite cuz that's how she get's us to trust and obey :P.

aliveinHim

Postby Garland » Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:30 pm

Amazing Grace
Come Thou Fount
All Hail the Power of Jesus' Name
Battle Hymn of the Republic
Crown Him With Many Crowns
Doxology
Hark! The Herald Angels Sing
It Is Well With My Soul
Great is Thy Faithfulness

These are some of the ones I like. I also enjoy In Christ Alone, which is like a modern hymn.
Garland

Location: Somewhere between a machine's logic and a person's consciousness

Postby QtheQreater » Thu Feb 24, 2011 4:55 pm

Nate (post: 1461224) wrote:Wait how does "How Deep the Father's Love For Us" count as a hymn? That's like CCM. It was written like a few years ago as far as I know.

About 16 years ago, yeah. I'd call it CCM.

At any rate, "Blessed Assurance" and "It Is Well With My Soul" would be my favorite hymns, because I could see what they really, really meant to some people. Other than that, I really prefer CCM.
The sometime President of the Goof Off!

Image Image
QtheQreater

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Thu Feb 24, 2011 8:45 pm

I find hymns severally lacking in musical variety and interest but they often have very good lyrics (if only they were in modern English).
Warrior 4 Jesus

Postby Scarecrow » Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:28 pm

Yeah... I think a lot of hymns would be very good if they were put to some melodic metal or something. I think Amazing Grace has been adapted enough and there are a couple versions I really like. People stick to that old sound for all the rest though and yeah... just sounds like stuff great great grand parents would listen to.

I've heard a few metal songs that incorporate bible verses or psalms into their music. Even if it is more for style than releasing something serious to their heart, the point is, those kinds of words could go great in Metal music. You just need a talented musician who can adapt the words. This goes for any genre but I love metal so...
"Take me down, shake me out. Give me a brain, that I might know You better"
Scarecrow

Postby TWWK » Fri Feb 25, 2011 5:29 am

There are great modern versions of hymns out there - besides David Crowder's "Come Thou Fount," I can think of Chris Tomlin's reworked "Wonderful Cross" and "Take My Life and Let it Be." There are lots of others, and I often really enjoy these versions...any good ones I'm missing?

In the colors of Your goodness/In the scars that mark your skin/In the currency of Grace/Is where my song begins
TWWK

Postby ShiroiHikari » Fri Feb 25, 2011 5:40 am

My personal favorites:

Blessed Assurance
Onward, Christian Soldiers
The Solid Rock
How Great Thou Art
In the Garden
It Is Well With My Soul
Holy, Holy, Holy
and most of the Christmas hymns

I'm really tired of songs like Amazing Grace, Just As I Am (AKA every altar call, EVER), What a Friend, Away in a Manger, Nothing But the Blood of Jesus, Are You Washed in the Blood?, and Jesus Loves Me, though. Every church is like, obsessed with those songs. @_@ I think people just like singing about blood.
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby TWWK » Fri Feb 25, 2011 7:53 am

ShiroiHikari (post: 1461537) wrote:I'm really tired of songs like Amazing Grace, Just As I Am (AKA every altar call, EVER)...

I might be wrong, but I think you can blame Billy Graham for Just As I Am being so popular. Not that I mind...I love that one. :)

TWWK

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Sun Feb 27, 2011 8:38 am

I love hymns, so much more than CCM, with only a few exceptions. I find organs and choirs much easier to worship with than rock bands. And I love lyrics that make you think, and meditate on the glories of God while you're singing, instead of just saying, "Yes Lord, yes Lord" a dozen times - which is important to say, but loses its impact very quickly because of dull repetition.

Anyway, my absolute favorites:

How Firm a Foundation (there is nothing more comforting when you're dealing with PTSD after a large earthquake)
Amazing Grace
All People That On Earth Do Dwell (same tune that is often used for the Doxology)
O Worship the King
The God of Abraham Praise
How Shall the Young Direct Their Way?
Guide Me, O Thou Great Jehovah
Crown Him with Many Crowns (I picked it at random one time during family devotions, and fell instantly in love with it)
A Mighty Fortress

Christmas:
What Child Is This?
O Holy Night (Is that a hymn? It's not in my hymnal....)
It Came upon a Midnight Clear

Easter:
O Sacred Head Now Wounded (arranged by J.S. Bach, by the way!)
Up from the Grave He Arose

...yeah, I love hymns :grin:
You can find out things about the past that you never knew. And from what you've learned, you may see some things differently in the present. You're the one that changes. Not the past.
- Ellone, Final Fantasy VIII

"There's a difference between maliciously offending somebody - on purpose - and somebody being offended by...truth. If you're offended by the truth, that's your problem. I have no obligation to not offend you if I'm speaking the truth. The truth is supposed to offend you; that's how you know you don't got it."
- Brad Stine
the_wolfs_howl

Return to Jam Session