Anime that you watch that you're pretty sure no one else here watches

The real heart of CAA; discuss specific series, issues, and things related to anime here.

Postby ABlipinTime » Sun Aug 29, 2010 9:42 pm

I watched the first part of 5 Centimeters per Second. It was... s....low.
I was trying to find different art styles in anime, and yes, I found one: It looked like someone took pictures of real objects and made them the background objects. It looked rather weird, especially since it clashed with the character design.
The story wasn't developing in an interesting way in the first 15 min. Perhaps I didn't watch it long enough. But it's now on my discontinued-watching list.
- God is always with us, especially when we feel most alone.
http://ablipintime.deviantart.com/
Htom Sirveaux (post: 1435089) - "We should all start speaking telepathically."
Midori (post: 1457302) "Sometimes, if I try hard, I can speak in English."
(post: 1481465) "Overthinking is an art."
Goldenspines - "Fighting the bad guys and rescuing princesses from trolls and all that. "
ABlipinTime

Postby ich1990 » Sun Aug 29, 2010 10:16 pm

I just recently watched Kigeki (Comedy), which was a surprisingly sane ten minute short video created by Studio 4C. It is often packaged with a handful of other shorts to make the Sweat Punch compilation, but I didn't bother with the others (which sounded like usual 4C fare). Kigeki is a pretty dark, fairy-tale story with great art and animation throughout its short duration. Given that there are only really two characters and a handful of lines of dialog, it is kind of hard to critique it on those elements. If you can find it, I recommend watching it; its short length allowed its creators to get almost everything perfect.

I also watched Gankutsuou.... thanks largely to this thread. While I did have some issues with it (see the What Anime are you Watching? thread for details), I did like it overall and its artwork especially.

ABlipinTime (post: 1420628) wrote:I watched the first part of 5 Centimeters per Second. It was... s....low.
I was trying to find different art styles in anime, and yes, I found one: It looked like someone took pictures of real objects and made them the background objects. It looked rather weird, especially since it clashed with the character design.
The story wasn't developing in an interesting way in the first 15 min. Perhaps I didn't watch it long enough. But it's now on my discontinued-watching list.
5cm/s is actually quite popular here on the forums, and almost universally liked. If the first part wasn't your cup of tea, then it is probably a good thing that you dropped it, because the rest of 5cm/s (and the rest of Shinkai's works) is very similar.

If you don't mind me asking, how did you feel the story wasn't developed? I can see disliking its slow, quiet pace, or maybe even disliking the stunningly beautiful artwork (art is pretty subjective after all), but I don't see how you could feel the story wasn't developed because story and character development is pretty much the only thing that does happen in 5cm/s. Would you mind explaining?
Where an Eidolon, named night, on a black throne reigns upright.
ich1990

Postby blkmage » Mon Aug 30, 2010 5:11 am

Yeah, you're going to need a lot more justification for not having the patience to go through one of the most highly praised movies in recent years that's only an hour long and split into three twenty-minute parts only fifteen minutes in.
blkmage

Postby Atria35 » Mon Aug 30, 2010 6:06 am

^ And the background art looking more realistic than the characters isn't uncommon- you'll find that it's really hard to make the backgrounds realistic while keeping the same amount of realism for the characters- epsecially for certain art styles. Some artists can (Naoki Urasawa), but for most, it just doesn't work.
Atria35

Postby Cadence » Mon Aug 30, 2010 3:12 pm

Atria35 (post: 1420614) wrote:Windy Tales- a slice of life that has a schoolgirl gaining the power to control the wind. Unfotunately, the whole middle of the series has almost nothing to do with that, so it can be a bit frustrating. But the art is very unique, and the animation is very different. And the beginning and the end of the series are very involving and well-done.

Scrapped Princess- Another older anime (90's), this is about a princess that is foretold to be the destruction of her entire kingdom on her 16th birthday. So she and her siblings travel around the country, trying to hide her idedntity and protect her from those that would kill her. It's pretty good- I hate the princess as a character (far too whiney and helpless for my tastes), but overall this has some awesome action and great characters overall.
Hey, I watched parts of both of these! I really liked Windy Tales. I've been meaning to pick it back up and finish it one of these days. I thought Scrapped Princess was okay, though I had the same problem with the main character as Atria. I've never had much desire to finish it.

[quote="ich1990 (post: 1420635)"]I just recently watched Kigeki (Comedy), which was a surprisingly sane ten minute short video created by Studio 4C. It is often packaged with a handful of other shorts to make the Sweat Punch compilation, but I didn't bother with the others (which sounded like usual 4C fare). Kigeki is a pretty dark, fairy-tale story with great art and animation throughout its short duration. Given that there are only really two characters and a handful of lines of dialog, it is kind of hard to critique it on those elements. If you can find it, I recommend watching it]
I watched Kigeki as well, and I absolutely love it. You're right about the rest of the shorts in Sweat Punch...Kigeki was the only one that I felt wasn't a waste of my time (and I usually like Studio 4C stuff...well, for the most part).

A series I love that I haven't seen mentioned on here is Twin Spica. It is about a young girl named Asumi whose mother is severely injured when a rocket crashes in their hometown, and passes away several years later. After her mother’s death, Asumi meets a mysterious man who wears a lion mask and whom only she can seem to see. “Lion-san” becomes her mentor, and she decides at an early age that she wants to be a “rocket driver” when she grows up. The series is told partially through poignant flashbacks to Asumi’s childhood with Lion-san, and partly in the present day as Asumi and her friends attend a high school astronaut training program. It is a great series (at least, I loved it) but it does have the problem of being made before the manga reached completion, so expect a lot of unanswered questions, especially about the supporting characters (many of whom aren’t given the time to be fully developed, or even for us to see their backstory, though hints are dropped about each). Fortunately, the manga is currently being released in North America. I’m definitely going to pick it up when I can--I’m looking forward to seeing the completion of the real story.
"Trust in the Lord with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding. In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths." Proverbs 3:5-6
Cadence

Postby Atria35 » Mon Aug 30, 2010 4:06 pm

Cadence (post: 1420739) wrote:A series I love that I haven't seen mentioned on here is Twin Spica.

I read the manga- does that count? :lol: But seriously, I did a bit of research, found out the anime was rater unfinished, and picked up the manga instead. And it is a fantastic manga. I would highly, highly recommend it. Kudos to you picking a great series, Cadence!
Atria35

Postby MasterDias » Mon Aug 30, 2010 4:19 pm

Scrapped Princess isn't actually quite that old. It aired in 2003. It was pretty popular back when it aired, so the fact no one talks about it now is probably a reflection of how...eh...centered on the present anime fans are. It was a solid fantasy show though, so I'll vouch for it as well.
-----------------------------------------
"Always seek to do good to one another and to all."
1 Thessalonians 5:15

"Every story must have an ending." - Auron - Final Fantasy X

"A small stone may make a ripple at first, but someday it will be a wave." - Wiegraf - Final Fantasy Tactics
MasterDias

Postby rocklobster » Wed Sep 01, 2010 5:56 am

Is anyone watching Claymore? It's pretty over-the-top violent, but I'm slowly beginning to enjoy it.
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you. I appointed you to be a prophet of all nations."
--Jeremiah 1:5
Hit me up on social media!
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100007205508246<--Facebook

I'm also on Amino as Radical Edward, and on Reddit as Rocklobster as well.

click here for my playlist!
my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby Atria35 » Wed Sep 01, 2010 6:29 am

rocklobster (post: 1421043) wrote:Is anyone watching Claymore? It's pretty over-the-top violent, but I'm slowly beginning to enjoy it.

You mean one of the most popular shounen anime out there? I'm sure someone does XD I've heard that [spoiler]the end is very unfinished[/spoiler]so I've decided to read tha manga instead. I can also read manga at a faster pace then watch anime, so catching up on this still-running series would be a tad easier.
Atria35

Postby Mr. Hat'n'Clogs » Wed Sep 01, 2010 8:22 am

Well, since some people are posting anime they know only one or two people have seen, I have a few things I can post then.

Kamichu!

I know blkmage and Cadence have both watched this, but otherwise I don't think I've seen anyone else mention it. Kamichu! is about a girl who wakes up one day, and learns she is a god. The daughter of the head of the local shrine befriends her, and along with her other friend they have episodic adventures one could only have as a god, which ranges from finding lost gods, dealing with martians, going to god conventions, and running for class president. The show is very awesome, so I recommend it to you all.

Kure-nai

Like the above, I know blkmage has seen it because he recommended it to me, and Atria has seen it because she told me I should only watch to about episode seven. Kure-nai is about a high school student who works part-time as a "dispute mediator", which usually leads to him needing to use martial arts. One day his boss informs him he will need to protect a certain girl, who has run away from her wealthy father for private reasons. This anime pretty much was awesome and I marathoned it in a single day. It also has the best musical inside of any anime.

Denpateki na Kanojo

Taking place in the same universe as Kure-nai, though there hasn't been any actual crossover yet, this OVA series is only two episodes so far, and it's pretty awesome. In the same vein as the above, blkmage has seen it because he's the one who told me about it. Basically, a random girl tell the main character that she served him in a past life, and then a lot of freaky stuff happens to him. Anything else would be a spoiler.

Heh, all of those shows are Brains Base. My favorite studio. What are the odds?
Mr. Hat'n'Clogs

Postby Nate » Wed Sep 01, 2010 12:25 pm

rocklobster wrote:Is anyone watching Claymore? It's pretty over-the-top violent, but I'm slowly beginning to enjoy it.

You think Claymore is over-the-top violent? Seriously? Claymore?

I think Berserk would destroy your brain.

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby Cloud500 » Wed Sep 01, 2010 12:37 pm

Mr. Hat'n'Clogs (post: 1421065) wrote:
Kamichu!

I know blkmage and Cadence have both watched this, but otherwise I don't think I've seen anyone else mention it. Kamichu! is about a girl who wakes up one day, and learns she is a god. The daughter of the head of the local shrine befriends her, and along with her other friend they have episodic adventures one could only have as a god, which ranges from finding lost gods, dealing with martians, going to god conventions, and running for class president. The show is very awesome, so I recommend it to you all.

I've seen almost half of Kamichu! and really liked it. I bought the first volume when Geneon released it, but never got around to the rest. I wonder if I could still find the box set somewhere...
Cloud500

Postby Mr. Hat'n'Clogs » Wed Sep 01, 2010 12:43 pm

Funimation relicensed it and has the boxset for sale, which is how I watched it.
Mr. Hat'n'Clogs

Postby Cadence » Wed Sep 01, 2010 3:51 pm

Mr. Hat'n'Clogs (post: 1421065) wrote:Kure-nai

Like the above, I know blkmage has seen it because he recommended it to me, and Atria has seen it because she told me I should only watch to about episode seven. Kure-nai is about a high school student who works part-time as a "dispute mediator", which usually leads to him needing to use martial arts. One day his boss informs him he will need to protect a certain girl, who has run away from her wealthy father for private reasons. This anime pretty much was awesome and I marathoned it in a single day. It also has the best musical inside of any anime.
I watched about half of this. For Yuuki Aoi. Because she is great.
"Trust in the Lord with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding. In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths." Proverbs 3:5-6
Cadence

Postby Cloud500 » Wed Sep 01, 2010 4:04 pm

Mr. Hat'n'Clogs (post: 1421114) wrote:Funimation relicensed it and has the boxset for sale, which is how I watched it.

Ah, I thought I heard something about that. I'll have to look into that.
Cloud500

Postby blkmage » Wed Sep 01, 2010 4:12 pm

Cadence (post: 1421178) wrote:I watched about half of this. For Yuuki Aoi. Because she is great.

You should watch the other half.
blkmage

Postby ich1990 » Wed Sep 01, 2010 9:57 pm

Nate (post: 1421108) wrote:You think Claymore is over-the-top violent? Seriously? Claymore?

You think Berserk is over-the-top violent?

I think Sword of the Stranger would destroy your brain.

Seriously, though. We all have different tolerances and standards for potentially objectionable content. We don't need to act superior just because we have seen more mature things than someone else.
Where an Eidolon, named night, on a black throne reigns upright.
ich1990

Postby Fish and Chips » Thu Sep 02, 2010 3:10 am

ich1990 (post: 1420635) wrote:I just recently watched Kigeki (Comedy), which was a surprisingly sane ten minute short video created by Studio 4C. It is often packaged with a handful of other shorts to make the Sweat Punch compilation, but I didn't bother with the others (which sounded like usual 4C fare). Kigeki is a pretty dark, fairy-tale story with great art and animation throughout its short duration. Given that there are only really two characters and a handful of lines of dialog, it is kind of hard to critique it on those elements. If you can find it, I recommend watching it]I enjoyed Comedy, though I hated it for being tailor fit to its minimal length. I wouldn't have minded a longer story in its style, but Comedy itself in ten minutes was perfect.

For further complaints I have concerning Studio 4°C, ask me about the promo for the Global Astroliner Anime that doesn't exist because we can't have nice things.
Nate (post: 1421108) wrote:You think Claymore is over-the-top violent? Seriously? Claymore?

Rocklobster wrote the CAA review for Berserk.

Of course, that's the Berserk Anime, which is peanuts to the Berserk Manga.
Fish and Chips

Postby c.t.,girl » Thu Sep 02, 2010 5:38 am

:D bubblegum crisis? 8th man after?
[color="DarkOrange"]"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things... hey... the good things don't always soften the bad things; but vice-versa the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things and make them unimportant." -11th Doctor

"The advice I like to give young artists, or really anybody who’ll listen to me, is not to wait around for inspiration. Inspiration is for amateurs; the rest of us just show up and get to work. If you wait around for the clouds to part and a bolt of lightning to strike you in the brain, you are not going to make an awful lot of work. All the best ideas come out of the process; they come out of the work itself. Things occur to you. If you’re sitting around trying to dream up a great art idea, you can sit there a long time before anything happens. But if you just get to work, something will occur to you and something else will occur to you and something else that you reject will push you in another direction. Inspiration is absolutely unnecessary and somehow deceptive. You feel like you need this great idea before you can get down to work, and I find that’s almost never the case." - Chuck Close[/color]
c.t.,girl

Postby rocklobster » Thu Sep 02, 2010 8:32 am

Fish and Chips (post: 1421288) wrote:I enjoyed Comedy, though I hated it for being tailor fit to its minimal length. I wouldn't have minded a longer story in its style, but Comedy itself in ten minutes was perfect.

For further complains I have concerning Studio 4°C, ask me about the promo for the Global Astroliner Anime that doesn't exist because we can't have nice things.Rocklobster wrote the CAA review for Berserk.

Of course, that's the Berserk Anime, which is peanuts to the Berserk Manga.

Thanks for the defense, fish.
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you. I appointed you to be a prophet of all nations."

my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby Juliannesan » Fri Sep 03, 2010 5:30 am

I watched and episode of Boys Be.
I never even heard of it before, I guess I thought it might be interesting.
But I'm starting to think it's not really. I didn't care for the first episode at all.
ImageImage
Juliannesan

Postby rocklobster » Fri Sep 03, 2010 5:34 am

Has anyone besides me and RD seen Ergo Proxy?

my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby Wyntre Rose » Fri Sep 03, 2010 6:10 am

*Raises hand* Yup!
Wyntre Rose

Postby Atria35 » Fri Sep 03, 2010 6:12 am

rocklobster (post: 1421583) wrote:Has anyone besides me and RD seen Ergo Proxy?

Yo! Totally. In my top 15.
Atria35

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Fri Sep 03, 2010 6:19 am

I really enjoyed Ergo Proxy but it's a rather complex series, philosophically I mean. I haven't seen the dub though. I want to buy the series some day. Anyone know where I can buy it cheapest (online)? Thanks
Warrior 4 Jesus

Postby Atria35 » Fri Sep 03, 2010 6:46 am

Warrior 4 Jesus (post: 1421598) wrote:I really enjoyed Ergo Proxy but it's a rather complex series, philosophically I mean. I haven't seen the dub though. I want to buy the series some day. Anyone know where I can buy it cheapest (online)? Thanks

Either at Rightstuf.com or the Amazon Marketplace (though some people dislike the latter since you aren't buying from the distributors). RIghtstuf tends to be a lot cheaper than at the stores.
Atria35

Postby c.t.,girl » Fri Sep 03, 2010 8:05 am

rocklobster (post: 1421583) wrote:Has anyone besides me and RD seen Ergo Proxy?

LOVE THAT ANIME! x3
[color="DarkOrange"]"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things... hey... the good things don't always soften the bad things; but vice-versa the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things and make them unimportant." -11th Doctor

"The advice I like to give young artists, or really anybody who’ll listen to me, is not to wait around for inspiration. Inspiration is for amateurs; the rest of us just show up and get to work. If you wait around for the clouds to part and a bolt of lightning to strike you in the brain, you are not going to make an awful lot of work. All the best ideas come out of the process; they come out of the work itself. Things occur to you. If you’re sitting around trying to dream up a great art idea, you can sit there a long time before anything happens. But if you just get to work, something will occur to you and something else will occur to you and something else that you reject will push you in another direction. Inspiration is absolutely unnecessary and somehow deceptive. You feel like you need this great idea before you can get down to work, and I find that’s almost never the case." - Chuck Close[/color]
c.t.,girl

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Fri Sep 03, 2010 8:11 am

Atria, thanks. I tried Rightstuf.com and they only have one or two volumes available. Maybe Amazon.com or the Amazon marketplace is the place to go. Depends which is cheaper and provides secure shipping to Australia.

Anyone have this version Ergo Proxy HERE?
Or this one HERE?
Is there a difference between the two? Do they both have English subtitles and English and Japanese audio?

Thanks!
Warrior 4 Jesus

Postby c.t.,girl » Fri Sep 03, 2010 8:22 am

Warrior 4 Jesus (post: 1421609) wrote:Atria, thanks. I tried Rightstuf.com and they only have one or two volumes available. Maybe Amazon.com or the Amazon marketplace is the place to go. Depends which is cheaper and provides secure shipping to Australia.

Anyone have this version Ergo Proxy HERE?
Or this one HERE?
Is there a difference between the two? Do they both have English subtitles and English and Japanese audio?

Thanks!

*edited*
ACTUALLY THE SECOND ONE HAS ARTWORK AND A BONUS DVD...*U* DO WANT INSTEAD!!! :C i already have the first link one...dang i wish i had that artwork...and bonus dvd. XD;

c.t.,girl

Postby Wyntre Rose » Fri Sep 03, 2010 8:38 am

I don't have the first, but I do have the second, and yes, it has both Japanese and English audio, and English subs.
Wyntre Rose

Previous Next

Return to Anime and Anime Reviews