Anime license deals for North America

The real heart of CAA; discuss specific series, issues, and things related to anime here.

Postby Roy Mustang » Sat Jul 31, 2010 7:30 pm

Bandai has acquired Sora Kake Girl (The Girl who Leapt Through Space) and My-Otome 0~S.ifr~.

[font="Book Antiqua"][color="Red"]Col. Roy Mustang[/color][/font]
Roy Mustang

Postby TheSubtleDoctor » Sat Jul 31, 2010 11:40 pm

Roy Mustang (post: 1413178) wrote:EotE opening will only be showed on episode 1. The question came up at FUNimation panel.

Q: EotE opening not included on later eps?
A:Just episode 1..The reason is the music rights are a fun thing and we could only get the rights to the first episode. If we had to do it outside of that, it wouldn't have made the disc at all.

The music company wanted the rights to the song be a cost are per episode deal.
That is terrible. Who is this greedy music company?

Thanks for the info, Roy. Now at least we know not to blame Funimation.
TheSubtleDoctor

Postby Roy Mustang » Sun Aug 01, 2010 11:05 am

ShiroiHikari wrote:Holy crap, really?! Turn A finally got licensed after ten freaking years? YAY! I am so buying it when it comes out.

Now they just need to license Victory Gundam.

This was ask at the BEI panel last night.

Q: Is there a plan to re-release the original Gundam?
A: That's one of the most asked for thing.. we had that question a lot at Comic Con, so i had a meeting the other day, and I requested it.

Q: (The other unlicensed Gundams?)
A: One by one...

Roy Mustang

Postby battletech » Sun Aug 01, 2010 12:00 pm

Roy Mustang (post: 1413347) wrote:This was ask at the BEI panel last night.

Q: Is there a plan to re-release the original Gundam?
A: That's one of the most asked for thing.. we had that question a lot at Comic Con, so i had a meeting the other day, and I requested it.

Q: (The other unlicensed Gundams?)
A: One by one...

:shady:"One by one...":shady: That means one in 100 years then another in 100 years.;)
[img]http://i1118.photobucket.com/albums/k615/bluebattletech/amuro_ray_emblem1_zps864eefb8.png[/img]
Gundam fan for life.
battletech

Postby Roy Mustang » Sun Aug 01, 2010 9:23 pm

TheSubtleDoctor (post: 1413299) wrote:That is terrible. Who is this greedy music company?

Oasis

And this nothing new with this company. There has been other issues with aquiring music rights from them in the past.

Roy Mustang

Postby TheSubtleDoctor » Tue Aug 03, 2010 6:17 am

Roy Mustang (post: 1406274) wrote:Funimation has licensed Sekirei Pure Engagement for simulcast starting this month.
I know blkmage has been talking about Funi's ongoing issues w/ Shiki and initial problems w/ SenBas...but what about this show? Not that I was interested in watching it, but it just occurred to me that I have not seen a scrap of info concerning this "simulcast," nor, what may be worse, have I seen people complaining about it.
TheSubtleDoctor

Postby blkmage » Tue Aug 03, 2010 11:50 am

I'd assume that getting rights for non-Japanese music to use in the US is extremely difficult because of the cost to do so. What I'm assuming is happening isn't that they're being exceptionally greedy, but that's just what their policy is for TV shows in America or whatever. The situation is different for Japan because the publishers and record companies are usually a part of the production committees anyway, so for a given show, they just go with an artist that's already signed with them and everything's dandy.

Also, I guess no one cares about Seikirei or no one cares that Funimation is promising to stream it. Quite frankly, it's this kind of stuff (licensing something and sitting on it) that people abhor about licensing and it's just more ammo for pushing people to fansubban and whatnot.
blkmage

Postby TheSubtleDoctor » Wed Aug 04, 2010 11:44 am

So Funimation has gotten another simulcast up and running, and, no, it's not Sekrei. On July 30 they secured the rights to a little comedy show called Okamisan. I could be off base, but IMO this show has blkmage written all over it.
TheSubtleDoctor

Postby TheSubtleDoctor » Fri Aug 06, 2010 1:43 pm

In preparation for it's DVD/BD release next month, Funi began streaming Eden of the East today. This is a pretty big title, so I'm excited. The first two episodes are up on their video portal.
TheSubtleDoctor

Postby blkmage » Fri Aug 06, 2010 1:58 pm

Well, I mean, I guess I am following Ookami-san. It's okay, but it's little more than more of your standard J.C. Staff show. Also, I don't know if there is a show that is my kind of show, since I like to try and give things that sound remotely interesting a fair shake.

As for Eden of the East, the song they chose to replace the OP is underwhelming. It doesn't really match the OP animation, the tone of the series, or the tone of the OP. I'm sure they have like a billion school food punishment songs that they could've used instead.
blkmage

Postby MasterDias » Fri Aug 06, 2010 2:55 pm

So, in what has to be the most random license of the year, Sentai Filmworks has picked up Ghost Sweeper Mikami, based on the manga by Zettai Karen Children's Takashi Shiina, which aired all the way back in 93/94. The general assumption is that old-school stuff doesn't really sell unless it's "nostalgia"-based or otherwise has a big fanbase, so I'm interested to seeing how it does.

I'm pretty sure there are other unlicensed old-school anime that have larger fanbases however.
-----------------------------------------
"Always seek to do good to one another and to all."
1 Thessalonians 5:15

"Every story must have an ending." - Auron - Final Fantasy X

"A small stone may make a ripple at first, but someday it will be a wave." - Wiegraf - Final Fantasy Tactics
MasterDias

Postby CrimsonRyu17 » Fri Aug 06, 2010 3:37 pm

blkmage (post: 1414684) wrote:As for Eden of the East, the song they chose to replace the OP is underwhelming. It doesn't really match the OP animation, the tone of the series, or the tone of the OP. I'm sure they have like a billion school food punishment songs that they could've used instead.

... Huh? Why on earth would anyone change EotE's OP music? It's even originally in English.
CrimsonRyu17

Postby Fish and Chips » Fri Aug 06, 2010 3:44 pm

CrimsonRyu17 (post: 1414714) wrote:... Huh? Why on earth would anyone change EotE's OP music? It's even originally in English.
Because.
Roy Mustang (post: 1413178) wrote:Also, EotE opening will only be showed on episode 1. The question came up at FUNimation panel.

Q: EotE opening not included on later eps?
A:Just episode 1..The reason is the music rights are a fun thing and we could only get the rights to the first episode. If we had to do it outside of that, it wouldn't have made the disc at all.

The music company wanted the rights to the song be a cost are per episode deal.
I love the music industry.
Fish and Chips

Postby CrimsonRyu17 » Fri Aug 06, 2010 5:30 pm

Fish and Chips (post: 1414716) wrote:I love the music industry.

My bad, didn't bother to check the pages before. That figures though. I love 'em too.
CrimsonRyu17

Postby ChristianKitsune » Fri Aug 06, 2010 6:28 pm

CrimsonRyu17 (post: 1414714) wrote:... Huh? Why on earth would anyone change EotE's OP music? It's even originally in English.

I think this was explained elsewhere, but It had to do with the music company wanting to charger a per episode basis.

I watched the first couple episodes of Okamisan...it's actually really cute! There is a bit of laughable fanservice though for those sensitive to it.
ImageImage
Stick Monkey Chronicles
Web-Manga Hosted by: The Project
ChristianKitsune

Location: In my sketchbook of wonderment and puffy pink clouds! *\^o^/*

Postby TheSubtleDoctor » Fri Aug 13, 2010 12:52 pm

So in addition to Eden of the East, funi began streaming Tsubasa and Ga iRei Zero (a show which I've never heard of) today. They put up a bunch of new (old) series a few weeks ago, such as Galaxy Railways, Basilisk, Fruits Basket) and they are adding episodes weekly. Friday seems to be the day that they put up stuff that isn't simulcast.
TheSubtleDoctor

Postby KeybladeWarrior » Fri Aug 20, 2010 10:13 pm

I watched the first couple episodes of Okamisan...it's actually really cute! There is a bit of laughable fanservice though for those sensitive to it.

WOOT! Thank you Funi for not editing the fanservice out! I should try this one out. The main character from Okamisan looks like Taiga from Toradora. :P
KeybladeWarrior

Postby CrimsonRyu17 » Sat Aug 21, 2010 6:54 am

I've heard of Funi streaming Ga-Rei Zero but quick question: has it been dubbed? I'd check myself but I have a lot of trouble loading the Funi website. I'm hoping it isn't.
CrimsonRyu17

Postby TheSubtleDoctor » Thu Sep 16, 2010 6:17 pm

Crunchyroll will be streaming the following titles begining October 3:

Tegami Bachi Reverse
The World God Only Knows
Squid Girl
Sora No Otoshimono Forte
Panty and Stocking w/ Garter Belt
Fortune Arterial
Super Robot Wars OG: The Inspector

they will also be adding 13 back catalog titles from Kadokawa Pictures (hopefully The Girl Who Leapt Through Time, and Millennium Actress among them).
---
Pretty strong Fall line-up, especially considering their lack of new streaming titles this summer. I thought they would jump on Star Driver as well, but there's still time for either them or Funi to pick it up.
TheSubtleDoctor

Postby blkmage » Thu Sep 16, 2010 6:27 pm

I'd say, based on historical evidence, it's incredibly likely that Funimation already has Star Driver.
blkmage

Postby TheSubtleDoctor » Sat Oct 09, 2010 12:46 pm

Crunchyroll announced the Milky Holmes simulcast as well as Mobile Suit Gundam, Zeta Gundam and Lucky Star (among other things) to be streamed.

Unfortunately, Star Driver already premiered @ NYAF and Funi has had their panel yet...so Star Driver license announcement. So, does this mean no new streaming shows for Funi this fall? This would be surprising, as I thought they were becoming a major player in the simulcasting game...surely at least Star Driver is worth their money this season.
TheSubtleDoctor

Postby MasterDias » Sat Oct 09, 2010 1:21 pm

TheSubtleDoctor (post: 1430215) wrote: So, does this mean no new streaming shows for Funi this fall? .

Not necessarily. From what I remember, they announced BakaTest and Vampire Bund later in that season. But, yeah, I was also also sort of taken aback that they announced no simulcasts at their panel. No mention of the starting noitaminA show either, and I had thought they would probably pick up Index II as well.

Maybe they want to avoid announcing anything too early. Remember that several series last season had delayed starts.

"A small stone may make a ripple at first, but someday it will be a wave." - Wiegraf - Final Fantasy Tactics
MasterDias

Postby blkmage » Sat Oct 09, 2010 2:23 pm

Also, remember that Star Driver is an Aniplex (Japan) show and that Aniplex just went through all of that trouble to set up Aniplex USA.

It is kind of surprising that Funimation didn't announce anything, but keep in mind that the extent of the trend of their dominance in streaming is limited to about one season. We appear to be back to the norm of Crunchyroll doing the bulk of the shows.
blkmage

Postby TheSubtleDoctor » Sat Oct 09, 2010 7:38 pm

Yeah, I'm pretty sure we all thought that
blkmage (post: 1424803) wrote:based on historical evidence, it's incredibly likely that Funimation already has Star Driver.
But, I was unaware of this fact:
blkmage (post: 1430229) wrote: Star Driver is an Aniplex (Japan) show
So, now it totally makes sense that Funi won't be the one to nab the show, seeing as how they'd want to release the discs.

Perhaps ANN will bust out a surprise announcement tomorrow? It's not outside of the realm of possibility. ANN and Aniplex already have a working relationship]keep in mind that the extent of the trend of their dominance in streaming is limited to about one season. We appear to be back to the norm of Crunchyroll doing the bulk of the shows.[/QUOTE]I thought Funi was head and shoulders above CR for both Spring and Summer of this year, so they had the lead for back to back seasons. I presumed that Funi had more financial clout (and maybe more of the J-companies' trust, if that is even a factor)thus, would remain the big boss of the simulcast.

Here is my (probably incorrect) theory. CR doesn't have the pool all to themselves anymore. Funi, a major competitor, has entered the fray in a big way. Plus, there are Viz and now ANN fighting for titles as well. Since either CR or Funi have to spend (relatively) big to outbid the other, perhaps they have to pick their moment to go all in rather than pouring money out every three months. Funi went all in earlier this year, and CR made a big push this fall.
MasterDias (post: 1430217) wrote:Not necessarily. From what I remember, they announced BakaTest and Vampire Bund later in that season. But, yeah, I was also also sort of taken aback that they announced no simulcasts at their panel. No mention of the starting noitaminA show either, and I had thought they would probably pick up Index II as well.

Maybe they want to avoid announcing anything too early. Remember that several series last season had delayed starts.
This is a fair point. Rainbow didn't begin airing until nine weeks into the spring season. Giant Killing was the same. However, I think blkmage's point about Aniplex USA sort of rules out Funi in terms of getting Star Driver.

Maybe Funi will get Index I and II the way they got Black Butler I and II last season? As for noitaminA...yeah it's pretty strange that they haven't brought it up, seeing as how their agreement w/ them is no secret.
TheSubtleDoctor

Postby blkmage » Sat Oct 09, 2010 7:57 pm

Yeah, I didn't realize it was an Aniplex show until I was looking through the panels for NYAF and it was all like ANIPLEX PRESENTS STAR DRIVER.

Anyhow, your theory kinda makes sense, as long as we're relegated to guessing about the cost of licensing, and it's definitely paying off because fall is a way better season than spring was for me. The last time I had so many shows to choose from was summer 2009.

I don't know about Star Driver though. It's looking incredibly likely that that ship has left.

And for noitaminA, it'd be really strange if they didn't get Kuragehime since they still need to finish off Shiki.
blkmage

Postby MasterDias » Sat Oct 09, 2010 8:22 pm

I don't think the fact that Star Driver is an Aniplex show automatically excludes someone else from getting it, but the fact no one else has picked it up for streaming yet (and the NYAF premiere) does make me think that they have something in mind for it over here.

As far as ANN goes, someone on their staff failed web security. Episode 2 of OreImo just got leaked all over the internet before it airs in Japan. I doubt that Aniplex is very happy with them at the moment. From what I gather, it was like exactly the same mistake Funimation initially made with their One Piece simulcast too.

MasterDias

Postby TheSubtleDoctor » Thu May 12, 2011 1:09 pm

Well, I think we all doubted that this would happen, but it has.[quote="ANN"][SIZE="3"]Funimation Adds Princess Jellyfish Home Video Rights[/SIZE]

The North American anime distributor FUNimation Entertainment announced via its blog on Thursday that it has acquired the home entertainment, broadcast, digital, and merchandising rights to the television anime Princess Jellyfish, which it simulcasted this past fall. According to the announcement, the series will be released on both DVD and Blu-ray in 2012.

According to the announcement, Funimation was inspired to acquire these additional rights to the series after receiving a positive response to a Facebook inquiry, asking fans whether they would purchase the series in physical form.

Akiko Higashimura's Kuragehime manga is an ongoing series which revolves around a collection of female otaku living in an apartment complex. Their world is turned upside-down when protagonist Tsukimi, who is obsessed with jellyfish, befriends a man named Kuronosuke, a fashionable cross-dresser. Studio Brains Base adapted the manga into a TV anime which aired during FujiTV's popular Noitamina time slot. Funimation simulcasted the series this past fall as part of its agreement with FujiTV to air Noitamina shows. Shortly after the anime launched in Japan, it was revealed that the series' Japanese Blu-ray Disc and DVD releases would each include a bonus "Heroes" ("Eiyū]Who says the fans have no power?
TheSubtleDoctor

Postby Atria35 » Thu May 12, 2011 1:48 pm

YES! YES! Princess Jellyfish!
Atria35

Postby Mr. Hat'n'Clogs » Thu May 12, 2011 2:47 pm

I may have to buy this just to support Funimation actually releasing stuff that isn't crap.
Mr. Hat'n'Clogs

Postby UniqueAngelStar » Thu May 12, 2011 9:53 pm

YES!! Princess Jellyfish FTW!!!! :D
I wonder how this turns out when it's dubbed.
That's why I love Finimation the best! Always proud of them!
Best American Anime company evar!
ImageImage
[color="DarkOrchid"]@)[/color][color="DarkGreen"]}~`,~[/color][color="DeepSkyBlue"] Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks, To All The CAA Moderators.[/color]
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]Proud member of[/color] MOES!
UniqueAngelStar

Previous Next

Return to Anime and Anime Reviews