Let's Watch: Durarara!!

The real heart of CAA; discuss specific series, issues, and things related to anime here.

Postby Fish and Chips » Fri May 14, 2010 2:37 pm

Episode 17

So let's review.

Everything with Shizou was awesome.
Everything with Anri was infodump.
I still have no idea why Tom and Kasuka are in the Opening.

Mikado's leading the Dollars, Anri Saika's Children, and Kida the Yellow Scarves - except none of them know it despite being in your standard high school love triangle.

This show, man...
Fish and Chips

Postby Kung_Fu_Master » Fri May 14, 2010 2:44 pm

Kung_Fu_Master (post: 1392789) wrote:Shizuo=Epic

I do agree.
World Domination or Bust :thumb:
Kung_Fu_Master

Location: In the Animation department at school with hours of homework.

Postby blkmage » Fri May 14, 2010 2:55 pm

What's even better is that the three of them leading their respective gangs to fight with each other is largely motivated by protecting the other two.
blkmage

Postby steenajack » Fri May 14, 2010 3:58 pm

This show seems very interesting. May I ask what the content on it is? This includes sex/language/violence/drugs/religion/nudity?
Please, feel free to check out my sites:

My Deviant Art[/color]
MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL!!!
My FictionPress[/color]
My tumblr[/color] Read...fave...reblog...repeat...
steenajack

Postby Mr. Hat'n'Clogs » Fri May 14, 2010 4:52 pm

So not much to say that hasn't been said, besides that the show is still fantastic.

Shizuo kicks butt, Anri's pretty...interesting. Kida has returned to the Scarves, which I wasn't anticipating, and he founded the Yellow Scarves, which is even more interesting. I eagerly anticipate this next light novel/arc.

Here's the question. I assume this conflict between the Dollars/Saika's Children/Yellow Scarves will be cleared up in the next light novel. So what will be next? I'm guessing like Full Metal Panic! it will introduce a new threat, since I know of another gang who's existence I don't know if I'm allowed to reveal, though I wonder. The high DVD sales give me large amounts of hope to see the Yakuza princess and others that Fish has told me about, and to see where the story goes. I doubt that it will have as clean a cut as Baccano! did, though I'm sure the ending will be satisfying.

And to answer Steenajack's question:
Sex:Nothing here, except a couple brief references.
Language:Standard anime fare here, nothing too bad.
Violence: There is violence(IZAYAAA-KUN!!!) but again, nothing terrible. If someone is cut, they'll bleed. And when one of the things in the show is a serial...injurer?, things will bleed a lot sometimes, but not in excess.
Religion:The series is fantasy, one of the characters is a Celtic fairy, but no "religion is stupid" or anything. Well, Izaya claims to be an atheist who wants to go to heaven by starting Ragnarok.
Nudity:Episode 4 has very NON fanservice nudity for a character who has to be operated on without anesthetic. She's drawn without detail, but it's there.
Mr. Hat'n'Clogs

Postby MightiMidget » Fri May 14, 2010 5:07 pm

Yay Durarara!! Still enjoying this incredibly! Like a glass of cold water on a hot, miserable day, it's just...refreshing. :D I was also not anticipating Kida going back to the Yellow Scarves, especially not founding it, it makes me worry a bit for him. Which is even more exciting! Eagerly looking forward to next week to see what continues to unravel. It makes me wonder if Kida/Mikado will have a "Peter Parker is Spiderman and Spiderman killed my father!" sort of reaction or not...
MightiMidget

Postby steenajack » Fri May 14, 2010 8:21 pm

Thank you guys for the info on the content. I appreciate it very much-ly! XD!
Please, feel free to check out my sites:

My Deviant Art[/color]
MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL!!!
My FictionPress[/color]
My tumblr[/color] Read...fave...reblog...repeat...
steenajack

Postby blkmage » Sun May 16, 2010 1:18 pm

I think that if it ends how and where I think it's going to end, I'll be fairly satisfied even if they decide that they don't like money and go on to produce a second season.
blkmage

Postby Hohenheim » Mon May 17, 2010 7:39 pm

Saw episode 17. I have a more defined opinion of Anri at this point. Not necessarily my favorite character, but she has definitely been fleshed out a bit.

[spoiler]So Kida created the Yellow Scarves. Will Mikado and Kida be appalled to find out that each created their own respective gang? Well, maybe Mikado, since he originally wanted to create the Dollars to do things like fix buildings and clean up streets and stuff, but not engage in violence. Will Anri use her new Saika army unknowingly against Kida? I suspect only Izaya would know the answer to that question.[/spoiler]

Looking forward to the next episode!
[font="Arial Black"]"But I don't want comfort. I want God, I want poetry, I want real danger, I want freedom, I want goodness." - excerpt from the novel Brave New World[/font]

[font="Century Gothic"]"Is all this striving after ultimate meaning a massive delusion, a gigantic wish-fulfillment?...Could our symbol-rich world be of interest only to a pitiless nihilist? I do not think so." - Simon Conway Morris[/font]

[font="Century Gothic"]"Faith seeks understanding. I do not seek to understand that I may believe, but I believe in order to understand." - St. Anselm of Canterbury[/font]
Hohenheim

Postby blkmage » Wed May 19, 2010 2:19 pm

So guys, I'll bet you're excited to find out what Brains Base is going to be working on after Durarara!!'s done. Well, unfortunately, they don't seem to have anything planned for Summer 2010 beyond the Kure-nai OAD and who knows when the next Denpa Teki na Kanojo episode will be out?

However, they have been confirmed to be working on a show for Fall 2010. What could it be?

It turns out the answer is something that no one has heard of. They'll be doing a show based on a josei manga called Kuragehime, which will be airing during noitaminA (alongside the second half of Shiki). Tada!
blkmage

Postby Atria35 » Wed May 19, 2010 3:14 pm

blkmage (post: 1395324) wrote:However, they have been confirmed to be working on a show for Fall 2010. What could it be?

It turns out the answer is something that no one has heard of. They'll be doing a show based on a josei manga called Kuragehime, which will be airing during noitaminA (alongside the second half of Shiki). Tada!

Kuragehime (description by MAL)- The story centers around Tsukimi Kurashita, a huge fan of jellyfish (kurage, a wordplay on the "kura/mi" and "tsuki/ge" in her name) and a girl who moves to Tokyo to become an illustrator. She moves into "Amamizukan," an apartment complex that is full of fujoshi (diehard female otaku) with a no-men-allowed rule. However, one day, Tsukimi invites a stylishly fashionable woman to stay at her room at Amamizukan — only to discover that the guest is not who "she" seems to be.

I'm so wary about this, but since lately most of what they touch has been pretty good, I might give it a try......
Atria35

Postby MightiMidget » Wed May 19, 2010 4:15 pm

That sounds like it could be fun, depending...I'll probably try it to.
MightiMidget

Postby Mr. Hat'n'Clogs » Fri May 21, 2010 3:50 pm

Eighteen is up so you should all go watch it.

So this was a fantastic episode, which proved many hunches correct, though I'm surprised Anri learned about Kida this early. Will she tell Mikado? Somehow, I think not. But we'll see.

Also, Fish, I think Team Van is still going to be doing stuff. And they're doing it awesomely.
Mr. Hat'n'Clogs

Postby Yamamaya » Fri May 21, 2010 4:06 pm

Walter is so epic and hilarious.

"I'll get to be an anime hero and build my own harem!"
"It would be cooler to throw it out the window."

Tom, "I don't litter."

A pretty epic episode all around. Really gave some insight into Kida. Orihara seems to be turning into more of a jerk with each passing episode.
Yamamaya

Postby blkmage » Fri May 21, 2010 4:14 pm

Man, Kida's backstory is incredibly (;´д⊂).

So, I'll reveal that my initial suspicions were Kida -> Yellow Scarves, Mikado -> Dollars, and Anri -> Blue Squares. Oh well, two for three's not bad and I managed to get the gist of it anyway.

Finally, I remember when we first met Izaya in episode three and I went, what a hilarious guy, stomping on cell phones. The trajectory of his favourability over time curve has been dropping sharply ever since. Now, when we meet Izaya, I go, what a terrible guy.
blkmage

Postby Mr. Hat'n'Clogs » Fri May 21, 2010 4:24 pm

Oh, one thing that I forgot to mention is that I'm extremely curious as to what Izaya means in episode 3 when he mentions a youkai. Given the nature of the series, he's probably telling the truth, but it still hasn't mentioned again.
Mr. Hat'n'Clogs

Postby ich1990 » Fri May 21, 2010 5:32 pm

I haven't been commenting much, simply because I am getting tired of saying how awesome this show is.
blkmage (post: 1395705) wrote:Finally, I remember when we first met Izaya in episode three and I went, what a hilarious guy, stomping on cell phones. The trajectory of his favourability over time curve has been dropping sharply ever since. Now, when we meet Izaya, I go, what a terrible guy.
The whole manipulating people into committing suicide thing didn't tip you off as to what kind of sociopath he was right from the beginning?
Where an Eidolon, named night, on a black throne reigns upright.
ich1990

Postby Mr. Hat'n'Clogs » Fri May 21, 2010 7:03 pm

ich1990 (post: 1395736) wrote:The whole manipulating people into committing suicide thing didn't tip you off as to what kind of sociopath he was right from the beginning?

Well, if you read the manga or light novels, his introduction is quite a bit different, with him actually scaring the two girls he made suicide pacts with into living by saying he might kill them, but not follow up on it. Much as I love episode 2, it isn't really canon, which is why Rio hasn't appeared except for cameos. Now, I'm not complaining, but the episode didn't necessarily display Izaya's character, or rather, it did, but not one that you would necessarily believe, if that makes sense?
Mr. Hat'n'Clogs

Postby ich1990 » Fri May 21, 2010 7:30 pm

Mr. Hat'n'Clogs (post: 1395753) wrote:Well, if you read the manga or light novels, his introduction is quite a bit different, with him actually scaring the two girls he made suicide pacts with into living by saying he might kill them, but not follow up on it. Much as I love episode 2, it isn't really canon, which is why Rio hasn't appeared except for cameos. Now, I'm not complaining, but the episode didn't necessarily display Izaya's character, or rather, it did, but not one that you would necessarily believe, if that makes sense?

Ah, okay, that makes sense. I was wondering how someone could miss the way Izaya goaded that girl into jumping.... or the old bloodstains at the bottom which implied that she wasn't the first to do so.
Where an Eidolon, named night, on a black throne reigns upright.
ich1990

Postby MightiMidget » Fri May 21, 2010 11:31 pm

[quote="blkmage (post: 1395705)"]Man, Kida's backstory is incredibly (]

Yes and yes.

I was pretty much jaw-dropping through the entire backstory with Kida. No wonder he's so...shallow for lack of better words. (I love Kida, wording sounds like I don't, but I do)

As for Izaya, I always realized he was a sociopath but seriously? Wow. Though at this point I'm convinced that there is no depths too low for him to sink, part of what makes him such a strong character, but at the same time...yeah, wow.

*still a bit stunned* Not a favorite episode just because I missed Shinra, Celty and Shizuo, but amazing development. Looking very forward to next week's.
MightiMidget

Postby TheSubtleDoctor » Sat May 22, 2010 11:02 am

ich1990 (post: 1395736) wrote:I haven't been commenting much, simply because I am getting tired of saying how awesome this show is.
I feel you, ich; however, as I have just now marathoned nine episodes to catch up, I feel as if I'm behind. So, in view of that: holy frick, this show is all kinds of awesome!

Totally, totally surprised at the direction they took Anri's character, and, even though this wasn't an unforeseen twist, I too love the way Kida is being developed.

As far as Izaya sinking too low...*shrugs* you gotta sacrifice a few pawns to achieve checkmate, right? Seriously though, have you guys discussed the possibility of him not being a human being? He likes to make reference to humans as if he himself were not one. Perhaps that might shed some new light on the question of his pathology.

Also: does Shizuo have a math degree?
TheSubtleDoctor

Postby blkmage » Sat May 22, 2010 11:39 am

ich1990 (post: 1395736) wrote:The whole manipulating people into committing suicide thing didn't tip you off as to what kind of sociopath he was right from the beginning?

Not exactly. After all, it is anime, and within that time range, he could very well have continued to be a loveable scamp. Once he starts messing with characters that I actually like and aren't girls with low self esteem, though...
blkmage

Postby Nate » Sun May 23, 2010 8:59 pm

DON'T MIND ME JUST DROPPIN' THIS OFF HERE.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KAO4M5_Gf00

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby Kung_Fu_Master » Sun May 23, 2010 9:25 pm

Nate (post: 1396123) wrote:DON'T MIND ME JUST DROPPIN' THIS OFF HERE.

Creepy, XD, LOL, ROFL and anything synonymous with them all at once and a little much there.
World Domination or Bust :thumb:
Kung_Fu_Master

Location: In the Animation department at school with hours of homework.

Postby MightiMidget » Sun May 23, 2010 10:51 pm

Kung_Fu_Master (post: 1396137) wrote:Creepy, XD, LOL, ROFL and anything synonymous with them all at once and a little much there.

... that. is the perfect response.

NATE! xD

Thank goodness there's is a week for me to forget that before the next episode. :P
MightiMidget

Postby Nate » Mon May 24, 2010 6:20 am

MightiMidget wrote:NATE! xD

You called? ]Thank goodness there's is a week for me to forget that before the next episode.[/QUOTE]
Oh come on it's catchy! I can't get it out of my head. :l

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby TheSubtleDoctor » Mon May 24, 2010 7:06 am

Nate (post: 1396123) wrote:DON'T MIND ME JUST DROPPIN' THIS OFF HERE.

How could you do such a thing, Nate? This...this..is...WONDERFUL!
TheSubtleDoctor

Postby blkmage » Mon May 24, 2010 7:45 am

If you love that so much, you should all go watch Bakemonogatari.
blkmage

Postby Fish and Chips » Fri May 28, 2010 12:48 pm

Episode 19

And to think this used to be such a happy Anime.
Fish and Chips

Postby TheSubtleDoctor » Fri May 28, 2010 1:05 pm

Definitely a "shake the Coke bottle" episode: building for the big blow-up. Can't wait.
TheSubtleDoctor

Previous Next

Return to Anime and Anime Reviews