Manga Bible

Post about anime's sister, manga in here. Manga reviews accepted in here as well.

Manga Bible

Postby Dr.Faust » Thu Apr 09, 2009 6:39 pm

Dose any one have the MANGA BIBLE I do
Dr.Faust

Postby Radical Dreamer » Thu Apr 09, 2009 6:44 pm

Moved to Manga Mania.

You're pretty new, so I'll let it slide this time, but when you know a post doesn't belong in a certain forum (such as the Prayer Room), please don't post it there. Further threads that are deliberately posted elsewhere will be deleted. Thanks!
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]4 8 15 16 23[/color] 42
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]
[color="Orange"]WELCOME TO MOES[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby Midori » Thu Apr 09, 2009 10:28 pm

Who is it by? I've seen a few floating around, with different styles.
Midori

Postby chibiphonebooth » Thu Apr 09, 2009 11:06 pm

maga bible, eh? maga. hm.
ImageImageImage

[font="Impact"][SIZE="3"][color="SeaGreen"]"Savannah's signature: ruining serious since 2008"[/color][/SIZE][/font]

[font="Georgia"][color="Orange"][url=yourtoesaremissing.deviantart.com]Visit my DA X3[/url][/color][/font]
chibiphonebooth

Postby LadyRushia » Fri Apr 10, 2009 8:19 am

Hm, what is a "maga bible?"

Anyway, I've seen it around, but I think Manga Messiah is better. From what I understand, Manga Bible tried to shove the entire Bible into one volume, which led to bad pacing, while Manga Messiah is one of a series.
Fanfiction (updated 1/1/11)-- Lucky Star--Ginsaki ch. 4
[color="Magenta"]Sometimes I post things.[/color]
Image Image Image
LadyRushia

Postby nicktk1 » Fri Apr 10, 2009 9:55 am

heard of it, my intention is to buy someday
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[color="Red"]its[/color] [color="Lime"]cuz[/color] [color="Yellow"]i[/color]
[color="Yellow"] love [/color][color="Magenta"]you[/color][color="Red"] that[/color][color="Cyan"]i[/color]
[color="Yellow"]follow[/color] [color="Lime"]you[/color]
O o
/¯________________________
| I'MA FIRIN' MAH LAZOR!!! BLAAAAGH!!!
\_¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
nicktk1

Postby LadyRushia » Fri Apr 10, 2009 11:09 am

Let's keep this thread on topic, please.

I haven't seen Manga Bible in stores, but whenever I get the chance I'll glance through it. I really want the next volume in the Manga Messiah series to come out, though.
Image Image Image
LadyRushia

Postby Nate » Fri Apr 10, 2009 12:20 pm

toonman wrote:Did you read my first post on here about my having the "Manga Messiah"?

Guess not. :dizzy:

Pretty sure Rushia was talking about you trying to hold a conversation with Corrie, which is off-topic for this thread.

Anyway I have major problems with both Manga Bible/Messiah. The first, which Rushia already mentioned, is that Manga Bible tried to put the whole Bible in one volume, which is a bad idea just to start with.

However, I'm not sure that spreading out the Manga Bible would have helped. Well unless, that is, you want to make it an 18+ Adults Only title. Aside from the challenge of trying to "comic-ize" something as hideously boring as the book of Numbers, what are you going to do when it comes time to illustrate the story of Onan? What about Lot's daughters getting him drunk and getting pregnant by him? How about the part where Elisha gets called "Baldy" and summons two bears who violently maul 42 youths?

Wholesome fun for the whole family right?

The problems I have with Manga Messiah are a bit odder, but first I'm not sure of the religious leanings of the manga-ka. If they aren't Christian, I dunno if I'm entirely comfortable with that, any more than a Hindu would be comfortable with a Christian doing a comic about the Bhagavad Gita. If the person doesn't believe what they're writing about, that is a bit of a problem in my eyes.

The second is the portrayal of Jesus Himself. "Bishie Jesus" just doesn't sit well with me, especially since the Bible kinda hints that hey, Jesus probably wasn't all that attractive. The problem with that is making Jesus plain or unattractive first of all would probably draw fire from religious critics ("They're mocking Christianity by making Jesus unattractive!") and second just isn't good in a business sense. Humans are naturally attracted to things that are beautiful or good to look at so making the main character of your series ugly isn't best for business.

Am I slamming the series? No, and if you like it, more power to you. But honestly I have too many problems with the idea of a manga based on any part of the Bible to really be able to support any attempt at it.

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby Radical Dreamer » Fri Apr 10, 2009 2:20 pm

toonman (post: 1304177) wrote:Did you read my first post on here about my having the "Manga Messiah"?

Guess not. :dizzy:

Never seen the actual "Manga bible" in any store myself either. I bought the "Manga Messiah" online. But when you search Amazon for the "Manga Bible" it appears there are several volumes.

Your second post, which has now been merged with your first, would have been far better suited as a PM than a post in an actual thread; Lady Rushia and Nate are correct in saying that it's off topic and inappropriate for this thread, for future reference.
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]4 8 15 16 23[/color] 42
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]
[color="Orange"]WELCOME TO MOES[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby Midori » Fri Apr 10, 2009 7:01 pm

Nate wrote:"Bishie Jesus" just doesn't sit well with me, especially since the Bible kinda hints that hey, Jesus probably wasn't all that attractive. The problem with that is making Jesus plain or unattractive first of all would probably draw fire from religious critics ("They're mocking Christianity by making Jesus unattractive!") and second just isn't good in a business sense. Humans are naturally attracted to things that are beautiful or good to look at so making the main character of your series ugly isn't best for business.

It's possible to make things both unattractive and beautiful at the same time. A lot of art strives to depict that sort of thing. In fact, I'd venture to say that a lot of God's message is about the beauty in ugliness and the strength in weakness. How do we percieve the cross as a beautiful icon, even though it's an instrument of torture and death?

Or take a look at the manga bible by Siku. It has a very unique art style--in fact it's not even exactly typical manga style. This depiction of Jesus is definitely not Bishie Jesus, and not "attractive" in that way, yet the art catches your eyes. Also, Siku is definitely a Christian.
Midori

Postby Benn » Fri Apr 10, 2009 7:47 pm

I have Manga Messiah and Manga Metamorphosis and hope to soon have the new volume Manga Mutiny.

This series is a group effort by COMIX35, New Life League, Japan, and NEXT. They're geared towards reaching out to people who never have heard of Christ or read the Bible. (Hence on the back cover it says "adapted from the ancient texts" instead of "adapted from the bible" which might turn some off right away.)

There's a lot of planning and thought that goes through these. The manga-ka draws the volume and then it goes through proofing in which people at New Life League and COMIX35 check the accuracy of the story. If something is off they address the issue. Also, on the bottom of each page is noted where that page's story comes from the Bible... such as page 84 of Manga Messiah it's noted that part of the story comes from John 3:1-21.

Again... these are not meant to be a replacement for the Bible but an introduction to those who have never read the Bible and help people who have already read the Bible to visualize it better.

Concerning Nate's issues with it... it's true. Doing a Bible based manga, the authors and publishers have to make certain judgments on content, on what they show and what is allowable in each culture they translate it to. (They print it in 9 different languages.)

For example in the upcoming Manga Mutiny which covers Genesis, in the Japanese version it might show Adam and Eve fully exposed. In the English version there will be branches, animals and whatnot strategically placed to cover up the privates, and then in the Middle East version almost all of their bodies will be covered - all due to each region’s culture.

As a witnessing tool I think these are great. A lot of time has been put into creating them and I really respect the team working on them. I’m really excited for the Manga Mutiny because it’s drawing by a different manga-ka who I really enjoy her work.

I hope I was able to give some insight into the Manga Messiah series. If you want to check out the groups I’ve mentioned I’ve listed their websites below..

http://www.nextmanga.com/
http://www.comix35.org/
http://www.nlljapan.com/e/index.htm

As far as the mangaBible from Zondervan is concerned I don’t know much about the process they went to make it. However, I do have a rant with Zondervan about their “manga” line. It’s not manga!!! Seriously. The manga Bible series is actually manhwa (Korean comics) and is drawn by Young Shin Lee. Tomo and TimeFlyz are manga-inspired graphic novels, and Son of Samson, Hand of the Morning Star, and Kingdoms are very western influenced. It feels like Zondervan either is going with the generic literal translation that manga = comics while throwing away any cultural relevance… or they just want to try to profit off of the manga frenzy. Sorry for the rant… >_<;

The Manga Bible by Siku looks very very visually pleasing. However, it’s manga-inspired… not actual manga. I can’t comment on the accuracy though nor have I heard how much research the artist did and if he ran the final draft past any pastors or Biblical scholars for accuracy.

(side note - the term manga to me means Japanese comics. If your definition differs please disregard my rant above and we will agree to disagree. Thanks ^_^)
Benn

Postby GundamFan » Sat Apr 11, 2009 12:57 pm

I don't know it seems like to much of a gimmick Bible for my taste but as long as it's Biblicaly sound I don't see any real problems with it.
GundamFan

Postby Nate » Sat Apr 11, 2009 3:45 pm

Benn wrote:(Hence on the back cover it says "adapted from the ancient texts" instead of "adapted from the bible" which might turn some off right away.)

That sounds like splitting hairs to me, and besides, if it's called the Manga Bible then uh...not saying "Bible" on the back is pointless?
then in the Middle East version almost all of their bodies will be covered - all due to each region’]
Uh that doesn't make sense, because Islam believes it is a sin to draw human beings no matter how much clothing they have on. So that is a pointless exercise because they'll believe it's sinful right off the bat for having drawings of people in it.
It feels like Zondervan either is going with the generic literal translation that manga = comics while throwing away any cultural relevance… or they just want to try to profit off of the manga frenzy.

Probably the latter. "Manga" is just a buzzword for them to get kids interested.
The Manga Bible by Siku looks very very visually pleasing. However, it’s manga-inspired… not actual manga. I can’t comment on the accuracy though nor have I heard how much research the artist did and if he ran the final draft past any pastors or Biblical scholars for accuracy.

I don't care for his art style, I think it looks awful, but that's a matter of taste, so I won't say any more about that. If he's a Christian, however, then I would say that research and running it past pastors/scholars doesn't matter. If he's Christian, he's going to do his best to glorify God with it and that will show. Besides, how much research do you need to do? Open Bible, draw. That's basically it. XD

As I said before if people like these that's cool, but I guess it's just not for me. Ah well.

Nate

Postby Peanut » Sat Apr 11, 2009 9:03 pm

toonman (post: 1304446) wrote:Just wondering-- aside from "Manga Messiah" and the main "Manga bible" book with the red cover, how many differeny "Manga Bible" books are out there? And what other Christian manga projects are out there like that? Does anyone know?

Thanks.

Hmmm...I'm not 100% sure, but wikipedia lists two other Manga Bible's along with the ones you listed. There are other projects out there but I can't think of any off the top of my head, hope that helps.
CAA's Resident Starcraft Expert

goldenspines wrote:Its only stealing if you don't get caught.
Peanut

Postby Fish and Chips » Sat Apr 11, 2009 9:27 pm

I wonder if they have a Manga Koran.
Fish and Chips

Postby bigsleepj » Sun Apr 12, 2009 7:02 am

I've seen one of those Manga Bibles recently, though the one I saw focused mainly on the New Testament.
Unwise Toasting Sermon

The Sweet Smell of CAA
The Avatar Christian Ronin designed for me
An Avatar KhakiBlue gave to me
The avatar Termyt made for me

KhakiBlueSocks wrote:"I'm going to make you a prayer request you can't refuse..." Cue the violins. :lol:

Current Avatar by SirThinks2much - thank you very much! :thumb::)
bigsleepj

Postby Peanut » Sun Apr 12, 2009 9:28 am

toonman (post: 1304469) wrote:I also know of a website, ChristianManga.com that has projects by Christian manga artists but from visiting Amazon I have not been able to fully assess how many manga Bible books there are or what it takes to complete one's collection- not to mention I would want to buy some to give to avid manga fans.

From a quick glance, ChristianManga.com doesn't seem to have any MangaBible-esque projects, though all the projects there are christian (as I remember). If you're looking for a similar sight, with manga by Christian manga artists, try http://www.theproject.us/.

Peanut

Postby goldenspines » Sun Apr 12, 2009 12:20 pm

toonman (post: 1304446) wrote:Just wondering-- aside from "Manga Messiah" and the main "Manga bible" book with the red cover, how many differeny "Manga Bible" books are out there? And what other Christian manga projects are out there like that? Does anyone know?

Thanks.

I'm surprised you took the effort to ask this question when you already knew (most of) the answer, which you expressed later in this thread.
I hope you didn't ask it just for the lulz.

On topic, I can't say the idea of the manga bible really appeals to me personally. Probably because I don't consider manga, though it be a nice hobby, to be important enough to play a vital role in representing my spirituality.

But for other people, I'm sure the manga bible can serve a good purpose, because the underlying truth of the gospel is still in there.
goldenspines

Postby uc pseudonym » Sun Apr 12, 2009 4:35 pm

Title edited. The Maga Bible is pretty cool, but for some reason everyone here is talking about a manga version so I figured I should correct it.

toonman wrote:Just wondering-- aside from "Manga Messiah" and the main "Manga bible" book with the red cover, how many differeny "Manga Bible" books are out there? And what other Christian manga projects are out there like that? Does anyone know?

As far as I know there is only one other series with this same general premise, Zondervan's Manga Bible (though it's actually manwha):
http://www.zgraphicnovels.com/series/mangaBible.php

That brings the total up to three (not counting the Manga Messiah version that was repackaged along with a full translation).

Also, please be so kind as to use the Edit button instead of posting twice in a row.
uc pseudonym

Postby Peanut » Sun Apr 12, 2009 10:09 pm

toonman (post: 1304633) wrote:But you're not the first person to put evil intent behind my actions. Maybe YOU'RE after some lulz? (trying to get a reaction from me? Seen it before)

Wooh...I don't think goldenspines meant anything personal by that (or at least when I read that post I didn't sense any sort of personal attack in it...). And even if she was trying to provoke a reaction, why did you react by getting so defensive all of a sudden? Why not just ignore it and not allow the lulz to occur...

Anyway, yeah...the Manga Bible, I didn't post this earlier but I'm not much of a fan. I don't hate the attempt to show God's word in different mediums, however I'm not really a fan of it. Eh, if it brings some people closer to God it's still a good thing though...

Peanut

Postby Nate » Sun Apr 12, 2009 10:54 pm

uc pseudonym wrote:As far as I know there is only one other series with this same general premise, Zondervan's Manga Bible (though it's actually manwha):
http://www.zgraphicnovels.com/series/mangaBible.php

The voice in the trailer on that page is awful. XD

HOWEVER. I actually kinda like this one. The goofy cartoony fight scene between Balaam and his donkey? YES.

Nate

Postby minakichan » Sun Apr 12, 2009 11:03 pm

and fish, our dear resident Muslim, I'm sure we could come up with a way to create a Manga Koran without depicting images of people in it. using talking animals perhaps? lulz.

Whoo, Furry Koran! \o/
ImageImage
minakichan

Postby Peanut » Sun Apr 12, 2009 11:05 pm

minakichan (post: 1304641) wrote:Whoo, Furry Koran! \o/

Well, there you go Andrew...see we figured out away for you to get a Manga version of the Koran.

Peanut

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Mon Apr 13, 2009 4:22 am

Peanut (post: 1304642) wrote:Well, there you go Andrew...see we figured out away for you to get a Manga version of the Koran.

Yes! Inshallah!
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby LadyRushia » Mon Apr 13, 2009 5:56 am

This thread has gone in an interesting direction, XD. Furry Koran, XD.
Image Image Image
LadyRushia

Postby goldenspines » Mon Apr 13, 2009 7:32 am

Oh, nevermind, he's gone.

Furry Koran, wut? o.O
goldenspines

Postby uc pseudonym » Mon Apr 13, 2009 1:19 pm

Nate wrote:The voice in the trailer on that page is awful. XD

You may also enjoy the main video (from the "Home" link).

Nate wrote:HOWEVER. I actually kinda like this one. The goofy cartoony fight scene between Balaam and his donkey? YES.

Though seriously, I have a lot of bad things to say about this particular series. To me if feels extremely trite, rushing through the Bible with weak jokes and getting across very little of the message. Just so no one takes my reference as a recommendation.
uc pseudonym

Postby Tsukuyomi » Mon Apr 13, 2009 1:32 pm

Mr. SmartyPants (post: 1304651) wrote:Yes! Inshallah!

Alot off topic but I read "Inshallah" as "Ishbala" (FMA on the brain) XDD;

Furry Koran.. That's alot of disturbing XDD
Tsukuyomi

Location: I am a figment of your imagination... I live only in your dreams... I haunt you ~(O_O)~

Postby Benn » Mon Apr 13, 2009 9:32 pm

Nate (post: 1304405) wrote:Uh that doesn't make sense, because Islam believes it is a sin to draw human beings no matter how much clothing they have on. So that is a pointless exercise because they'll believe it's sinful right off the bat for having drawings of people in it.

If there was only conservative Wahhabi's in the Middle East then maybe it wouldn't make sense. But, just like Christians and any other religion, Islamists can differ in their legalistic/religious views. Also, there's more than just Islamists in the Middle East. :)

One of the people working on the NEXT project told me about the difficulties of working on an international comic like this and how some of their contacts in the Middle East wanted them to cover up Adam and Eve until basically it was just their heads showing.
Benn

Postby Fish and Chips » Sat Apr 18, 2009 10:29 pm

anonymous (post: 1304640) wrote:and fish, our dear resident Muslim, I'm sure we could come up with a way to create a Manga Koran without depicting images of people in it. using talking animals perhaps? lulz.
minakichan (post: 1304641) wrote:Whoo, Furry Koran! \o/
Peanut (post: 1304642) wrote:Well, there you go Andrew...see we figured out away for you to get a Manga version of the Koran.
I fantisize about killing you.
Fish and Chips

Return to Manga and Manga Reviews