Rules & Theme - Updated Monthly!

This forum contains the rules, the themes, and the entries for the monthly manga contest

Postby bakura_fan » Sat Aug 16, 2008 10:07 pm

so, my story is going to be about 15 pages...is that going to be a problem? (if so, I'd like to know now before I get too far. on page 6 at the moment)
:angel:

[color=DeepSkyBlue] "He lives in you. He lives in me. [/color]He watches over everything we see.
Into the water. Into the truth. [color=Yellow][color=DeepSkyBlue]In your reflection, He lives in you." - He lives in you chorus[/color][/color]
"Slow, love, slow. Time's so fast. Now goes quickly, see Now it's past!
Soon will come, Soon will last. Wait." [color=Yellow]- Wait (sweeney todd) [/color]

[align=center]My art page.

[align=center]Married to swordguy
:hug:

[/align]
[/align]
bakura_fan

Postby Aileen Kailum » Sun Aug 17, 2008 3:27 pm

Well, to quote the rules on the first page:

- Entries must be 3-10 pages
- Entries must contain original characters (no fanfics/doujin)
- Entries must conform to CAA content guidelines (PM if unsure)
- Entries must be inked and toned/colored
- Artists must post their pages in this forum, with the title and an idea for next month's theme

I don't know if the page limit is set in stone, though. Maybe a mod can clear that up.
Need some excitement and meaning to brighten your bleak existence? Enter the CAA Monthly Manga contest!
(Warning: side affects may/will include irritability, the cramping of hands, frustration, and/or loss of sleep.)

Close only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades
Aileen Kailum

Postby bakura_fan » Sun Aug 17, 2008 6:15 pm

Aileen Kailum (post: 1253724) wrote:Well, to quote the rules on the first page:

I don't know if the page limit is set in stone, though. Maybe a mod can clear that up.

alright. I'll cut a scene then. thanks! maybe...11 pages at most. but I'll try and cut it to ten. :) (yea! 3 more pages to go!)

[color=DeepSkyBlue] "He lives in you. He lives in me. [/color]He watches over everything we see.
Into the water. Into the truth. [color=Yellow][color=DeepSkyBlue]In your reflection, He lives in you." - He lives in you chorus[/color][/color]
Soon will come, Soon will last. Wait." [color=Yellow]- Wait (sweeney todd) [/color]

[/align]
[/align]
bakura_fan

Postby Esoteric » Sun Aug 17, 2008 6:40 pm

That's what the initial rules say, HOWEVER, Ashley was asked the same question later in this very same thread....
what if it's like a little more than 10 pages like 11 or 12?

Ashley wrote:Well, we originally created that page count to give artists a feasible amount of work to complete--basically, to let people know we weren't expecting a full-blown volume of work here. But I suppose if you can pull it off, more power to ya.
Esoteric

Postby Aileen Kailum » Sun Aug 17, 2008 10:48 pm

Haha, I think Esoteric gets that point.

Wait--how is it already the 18th? Blasted time-warps...
Need some excitement and meaning to brighten your bleak existence? Enter the CAA Monthly Manga contest!
(Warning: side affects may/will include irritability, the cramping of hands, frustration, and/or loss of sleep.)

Aileen Kailum

Postby Aileen Kailum » Fri Sep 05, 2008 1:46 pm

Alright, guys, it's September. Here's this month's theme, courtesy of bakura_fan, the lone August entrant:

Imagination/Imaginary friends

Deadline is September 30th, the end of the month. Good luck to everybody.

Aileen Kailum

Postby Aileen Kailum » Wed Sep 24, 2008 6:31 pm

Gah, how are there only six days left?

I will draw. Draw like the storm and the fury.

But first, my architecture homework.

Aileen Kailum

Postby soul alive » Sun Sep 28, 2008 1:18 am

T_T
Not going to be able to do it this month either. I'm getting extra hours at work, that I don't particularly want, but I need the money so I'm working them. bleh

And off topic - are you an architecture student as well Aileen?
-Sara-

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

A Cruce Salus, a webmanga. --- Status: Undergoing rewrites, currently offline

soul-alive.deviantart.com

"People say I'm strange, does it make me a stranger / That my best friend was born in a manger?" 'Jesus Freak' - dc Talk
soul alive

Postby Aileen Kailum » Wed Oct 01, 2008 7:33 pm

And off topic - are you an architecture student as well Aileen?

Haha, yep. I'm about halfway into the first semester of my second year. So far, everything I've been told about being an architecture major appears to be true.

And, on a related note, I wasn't able to get anything finished because of pesky homework obligations. I vote we extend the contest into October. Alright with everyone? Same theme.

Aileen Kailum

Postby bakura_fan » Wed Oct 01, 2008 10:51 pm

that's fine with me (the extension) I had an idea..I did...just not sure how to pull it off. gyah! maybe I will maybe I won't...most likely won't, but who knows.

[/align]
[/align]
bakura_fan

Postby soul alive » Thu Oct 02, 2008 1:26 pm

Ooh, maybe I can actually participate then...

And Aileen - that's cool. I'm graduating with my Bach in Environmental Design this December, and with my Master's in Arch Design next December. Keep plugging on, even if it all seems crazy now, it'll all be worth it.
-Sara-

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"People say I'm strange, does it make me a stranger / That my best friend was born in a manger?" 'Jesus Freak' - dc Talk
soul alive

Postby Knuckles » Wed Nov 05, 2008 2:17 pm

Are these monthly manga contests still going on? I'm an old member just returning, and I saw this and was interested in joining in! :D
Are there prizes to these contests? or is it just for fun? Either way, I'd still like to join in as it'd give me an incentive to keep drawing :)
Knuckles

Postby soul alive » Wed Nov 05, 2008 4:17 pm

I think we're all too busy in school at the moment. But feel free to join in! As far as I know, the current contest is still open.
I don't think there are prizes beyond bragging rights and getting to choose the next topic. ^^
-Sara-

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

soul alive

Postby Knuckles » Wed Nov 05, 2008 5:39 pm

Ahh I see.. Well I can wait until there are more people to compete with :) Thanks for the update.
Knuckles

Postby Aileen Kailum » Sat Nov 08, 2008 9:16 pm

Hey, Knuckles. The current contest--with the theme Imagination/Imaginary Friends--is still open. The deadline is the end of this month, November 30th.

Aileen Kailum

Postby Aileen Kailum » Tue Dec 09, 2008 9:24 am

Update, from the long-absent me.

The current contest, with the theme Imagination/Imaginary Friends, has been extended to a December 31st deadline due to lack of entries.

I'm definitely going to take advantage of winter break and try to get something posted. Y'know, now that I don't have to spend 20+ hours a week on architecture homework. How exciting.

Aileen Kailum

Postby soul alive » Tue Dec 09, 2008 10:47 pm

Ooh! I'd definitely like to get something done then. I'm done this Friday with school, and would like the challenge.

(how's your architecture going, Aileen? I just turned in my grad school app last week, and present my final project on Friday.)
-Sara-

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

soul alive

Postby Aileen Kailum » Wed Dec 10, 2008 8:26 pm

Good luck with your project, soul!
I finished up my studio class last Thursday, so I'm just enjoying being able to sleep again for right now. I'm feeling a little anxious when I think about next semester, though. But hey, I've got over a month to mentally prepare myself.

Aileen Kailum

Postby soul alive » Wed Dec 10, 2008 10:56 pm

Sleep? What is this sleep you speak of? lol
Have fun during your month of freedom. Decompressing from architecture is never a bad thing.
-Sara-

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

soul alive

Postby animefreak0o » Fri Dec 12, 2008 12:14 pm

oh man you guys are so lucky! I don't get out till next week! >_< and my break is only about two weeks long. (that's what I get for being in highschool XP lol) PLUS I also have my brothers wedding to help prepare for... EEP!

....I hope that I'll be able to get my entry done! O_O
Philippians 4:13 "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me."

<(^_^)> <(^_^<) (^<) <( )> (>^) (>^_^)> <(^_^)>

Look! It's Kirby!! :dance: *dances*
animefreak0o

Postby bakura_fan » Sun Dec 14, 2008 9:59 pm

Since there are no entries, I'd like to give my idea, since I can't figure out how to pull this off, maybe someone can do it for me. Seriously I've attempted a few scenerios (sp?) but I can't pull it off.

[spoiler]
A young boy and another boy are telling each other about their imaginary friends and everything they can do. The first boy tells the other that his imaginary friend is real, as does the other. The boys are now teenagers, and they talk about the times they spent together and their imaginary friends. The first one says that he still does, and his friend thinks he's crazy. That's when the first one says that He's real, his name is Jesus. Not sure to convert the friend or not, but eh that's the story.

I know when I was little since I was an only child, I would ask Jesus to play monopoly, or sorry, or whatever games I wanted to play...He always won...lol.[/spoiler]

[/align]
[/align]
bakura_fan

Postby Sanctum Angel » Mon Dec 29, 2008 10:19 am

The contest is still going on riiiiight!?!?! Dx I'm so confuzzled!!
Sanctum Angel

Postby Aileen Kailum » Mon Dec 29, 2008 7:50 pm

Yes, the contest is still going on. The deadline is December 31st, so if you have an entry, submit it by then. The theme is imagination/imaginary friends.

Hmm. Maybe I should hurry up and finish my entry.

Aileen Kailum

Postby animefreak0o » Tue Dec 30, 2008 11:41 pm

Darn it I really wanted to enter this one! >_< *sobs*
but... T_T I doubt that I'll have my comic finished for this contest (sorry I had too much going on) ... though I did get several pages done.

but I am still trying to see how much I can accomplish by the 31st. is there a certain time that the entry has to be in by? or just any time that day will work?
Philippians 4:13 "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me."

<(^_^)> <(^_^<) (^<) <( )> (>^) (>^_^)> <(^_^)>

Look! It's Kirby!! :dance: *dances*
animefreak0o

Postby Aileen Kailum » Wed Dec 31, 2008 6:28 pm

Well, taking the previous contests into consideration, I have to say... sometime before Saturday, January 3rd. I figure if we don't get any entries by then, we can get a new theme and try again. I'm still working on my entry, though. I'd forgotten how long it takes to draw out pages... *sigh*

Anyways, I say go ahead and post your entry once you get it done. Good luck.

Aileen Kailum

Postby S.M.O.G. » Tue Mar 10, 2009 6:44 pm

Cool. I had random Ideas in my head earlier and they might work.
S.M.O.G.

Postby S.M.O.G. » Fri May 01, 2009 7:51 pm

lol, I came back to double check the deadline and just now saw that it said 2008 *facepalm*.

So, no more contests?
S.M.O.G.

Postby silent-wings » Wed May 13, 2009 7:55 pm

Is the contest still going on? The theme is still imaginary friends, right? I know I don't have time for anything right now but this summer I definitely will get something together hopefully. ^^
silent-wings

Postby foolishbunny » Fri May 29, 2009 8:55 am

cool i want to enter next month :thumb:
foolishbunny

Postby steenajack » Thu Aug 06, 2009 6:57 pm

I'd like to enter, but what's the theme for next month? Is the contest still going on?
Please, feel free to check out my sites:

My Deviant Art[/color]
MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL!!!
My FictionPress[/color]
My tumblr[/color] Read...fave...reblog...repeat...
steenajack

Previous Next

Return to Monthly Manga Contest