Question about "Manga Messiah"

Post about anime's sister, manga in here. Manga reviews accepted in here as well.

Question about "Manga Messiah"

Postby crazypackersfan » Sat Sep 13, 2008 1:16 am

This may or may not have been discussed a long time ago, so please bear with me... I've seen Manga Messiah in stores, and what it looks to me, it looks to be very Scripture-based, and apparently made by Japanese people, thus a true Christian manga. But my question is about the names of Jesus and Joseph... both of them start with "Y", I can't remember them exactly. Are these how Jesus and Joseph's names are spelled and pronounced in Japanese, or is it something else?
Anime Bowl (my blog) - the most unusual anime blog possible
crazypackersfan

Postby rocklobster » Sat Sep 13, 2008 6:00 am

Actually, Jesus's name started with a Y in the original Hebrew, I think. I could be mistaken.
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you. I appointed you to be a prophet of all nations."
--Jeremiah 1:5
Hit me up on social media!
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100007205508246<--Facebook

I'm also on Amino as Radical Edward, and on Reddit as Rocklobster as well.

click here for my playlist!
my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby LadyRushia » Sat Sep 13, 2008 12:24 pm

Yeah, they use Yeshua and Yosef because they're sticking close to the Hebrew. I highly recommend Manga Messiah, by the way. The people who are doing it are trying to make a series out the entire bible, which is good because other attempts at this sort of thing try to squeeze the whole thing in one volume.
Fanfiction (updated 1/1/11)-- Lucky Star--Ginsaki ch. 4
[color="Magenta"]Sometimes I post things.[/color]
Image Image Image
LadyRushia

Postby GeneD » Sat Sep 13, 2008 12:44 pm

I was going to dig up the old Manga Messiah thread, but I'll post in this one instead. I recently bought it at the Christian bookstore where I work. I haven't read that far yet, but I'm enjoying it so far. It is great in bringing the story to life a bit. For example, the fact that Mary was only a young girl is clearer than when I just read the text in a Bible. I'm not nuts about Gabriel's purple hair, but for all I know that's his real hair colour. XD I was wondering about the names too, but I figured it has something to do with the Hebrew.
I don't know what broke to make you like this, but I must be broken too if I'm standing here praising your destructiveness. -Rock (Black Lagoon)

As I had encountered kindness, I wanted to be kind myself. -Takashi Natsume (Natsume's Book of Friends)

MAL
Twitter
MOES: Promoting sane sigs.
GeneD

Postby crazypackersfan » Mon Sep 15, 2008 1:39 am

Okay, now it makes sense. I had been worried because I had seen some crazy site which used that name for Jesus, while making all sorts of unbiblical and heretic claims, and also claiming that Japan is on a 100-year quest to take over the world. As for the manga itself, it does look really good, and I love how it includes Bible verse references on every page.
Anime Bowl (my blog) - the most unusual anime blog possible
crazypackersfan

Postby MBlight » Mon Sep 15, 2008 4:19 am

I also recently bought the Manga Messiah (from the same shop as GeneD, I work there too!) and am loving it to bits... it makes reading so much more fun... and Gene, I dig Gabriel's purple hair!
I am a Rat Activist!

My Blog: http://mhitchens.wordpress.com

@)}~`,~ Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks, To All The CAA Moderators.

Proud member of MOES!
MBlight

Postby GeneD » Mon Sep 15, 2008 10:41 am

crazypackersfan (post: 1259172) wrote:also claiming that Japan is on a 100-year quest to take over the world.
These people have been watching too much anime. :P
I don't know what broke to make you like this, but I must be broken too if I'm standing here praising your destructiveness. -Rock (Black Lagoon)

As I had encountered kindness, I wanted to be kind myself. -Takashi Natsume (Natsume's Book of Friends)

MAL
Twitter
MOES: Promoting sane sigs.
GeneD

Postby LadyRushia » Sun Oct 05, 2008 12:57 pm

Actually, they shouldn't. The Bible doesn't take place in Japan and therefore wouldn't use Japanese grammar. Even if the artists decided to use suffixes "-kun" would be way too informal and disrespectful for Jesus. If anything, "sensei" would be the most appropriate.

Anyway, I wonder when/if the next volume is coming out?
Fanfiction (updated 1/1/11)-- Lucky Star--Ginsaki ch. 4
[color="Magenta"]Sometimes I post things.[/color]
Image Image Image
LadyRushia

Return to Manga and Manga Reviews