To All Arina Tanemura Fans!

Post about anime's sister, manga in here. Manga reviews accepted in here as well.

To All Arina Tanemura Fans!

Postby yukoxholic » Tue May 06, 2008 12:31 pm

(Unsure if anyone here has posted anything about this title yet so if someone has sorry for the double post! ^__^ )

Her latest work: Time Stranger Kyoko, Volume 1 will be out to buy July 1, 2008. The second volume of this work will be released October 7, 2008. Both are up for pre-order at amazon.com I'm actually very excited about this title more so than ION because Time Stranger Kyoko seems different than her other works.

If you receive a subscription to Shojo Beat you get a free preview of the first volume. I have to say I thoroughly enjoyed it and can't wait to buy Volume 1 in July! The only thing about this manga that isn't very original is the character's finding of the "12 Holy Stones" reminds me of Ultra Maniac. XD
yukoxholic

Postby Kairi » Tue May 06, 2008 6:53 pm

Yeah, I can't wait for this. :3 It's about time!

On the subject of Arina Tanemura, with Shinshi Doumei Cross ending soon, she's also released some info about her next (mahou-shoujo?) series. It's titled "Mistress Fortune" and all I've learned so far is that it's about a 14 year-old school dropout with special abilities. Apparently she transforms into the "Fortune Tiara" during times of duty?

Picture 1
Picture 2

The girl is named Kisaki Tachikawa, and the boy (her love interest) is Giniro Hashiba. I'm really getting a Negi Ramen feel from the first picture. It looks like it'll be a fun series!

[SIZE="1"](I hope you don't mind me mentioning that here, by the way... XD)[/SIZE]
Kairi

Postby Radical Dreamer » Tue May 06, 2008 8:04 pm

fjdksalfj, So that's the release date! I've been wanting to read Time Stranger Kyoko for a long time now, but I was never able to find scans for it. Regardless, I'm glad it's coming out soon!

Also, I will always laugh at how nearly every Tanemura character looks the same. XD I love her artwork and I really enjoy her stories, but I do wish she would be a little more varied in her character designs. XD

Although, I don't remember there being 12 stones in Ultra Maniac. Or are you talking about the anime? If so, I never realized how different the manga and anime are. XD Regardless, Time Stranger Kyoko came out long before the Ultra Maniac anime (unless I'm mistaken, which I very well could be XD), so it's less "taking an idea" than it is a "there are about 4,000 manga out there with a 'find x-number of stones until the real plot starts'" series, though only 3 volumes. XD Still, I'm excited! XD
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]4 8 15 16 23[/color] 42
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]
[color="Orange"]WELCOME TO MOES[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby minakichan » Tue May 06, 2008 8:11 pm

Latest work?! Isn't Time Stranger Kyoko INSANELY old?!

Personally, I don't really like her oldest and newest stuff that much. Full Moon wo Sagashite was the best. Kyoko was kind of... simple, and uninteresting.
ImageImage
minakichan

Postby Radical Dreamer » Tue May 06, 2008 8:13 pm

minakichan (post: 1223747) wrote:Latest work?! Isn't Time Stranger Kyoko INSANELY old?!

Yeah, it is. XD In fact, I'm pretty sure she wrote TSK before Kamikaze Kaitou Jeanne. I'm just glad Viz is finally licensing all of her older works; I'm such a fan of her art, and I'd really like a copy of all of her stuff (aside from Shinshi Doumei Cross, which I didn't prefer). XD I'm waiting for them to release the FMWS art book; I'm pretty sure that will be my favorite of these new/old releases. XD
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby ChristianKitsune » Tue May 06, 2008 9:32 pm

Also, I will always laugh at how nearly every Tanemura character looks the same. XD I love her artwork and I really enjoy her stories, but I do wish she would be a little more varied in her character designs. XD

Kinda why I can only handle her works in small doses ^^; I loved FMoS though, and KKKJ is pretty cute too.

hmmm...dunno if I'll read this or not.
ImageImage
Stick Monkey Chronicles
Web-Manga Hosted by: The Project
ChristianKitsune

Location: In my sketchbook of wonderment and puffy pink clouds! *\^o^/*

Postby minakichan » Tue May 06, 2008 9:38 pm

Although, I don't remember there being 12 stones in Ultra Maniac. Or are you talking about the anime?

The anime is INSANELY different. It was basically follow-Nina-around-as-she-collects-jewels-to-become-super-witch! stuff. I loved the manga, but hated the anime (though the music was cute).

Yeah, if you're skeptical about Tanemura, Kyoko isn't the series to pick up. It's kind of trite and cheesy? But I do think it's better than Shinshi Doumei Cross, or, heaven forbid, Umi no Chikyuugi Nocturne and Shoujo Eve. Those were lovely art but teeeeerrible writing, and Nocturne's sensei-love sure didn't earn it bonus points.
ImageImage
minakichan

Postby Fish and Chips » Tue May 06, 2008 9:47 pm

Please tell me I am not the only person who read this as Time Strangler Kyoko.
Fish and Chips

Postby Aileen Kailum » Tue May 06, 2008 10:05 pm

Pfft. Now that would be an interesting manga.

But it's awesome that Kyoko's finally coming out. I read some oddly translated scans awhile back, so it'll be nice to know what's actually happening in the story.
Need some excitement and meaning to brighten your bleak existence? Enter the CAA Monthly Manga contest!
(Warning: side affects may/will include irritability, the cramping of hands, frustration, and/or loss of sleep.)

Close only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades
Aileen Kailum

Postby yukoxholic » Wed May 07, 2008 11:35 am

Radical Dreamer (post: 1223743) wrote:Also, I will always laugh at how nearly every Tanemura character looks the same. XD I love her artwork and I really enjoy her stories, but I do wish she would be a little more varied in her character designs. XD

Although, I don't remember there being 12 stones in Ultra Maniac. Or are you talking about the anime? If so, I never realized how different the manga and anime are. XD Regardless, Time Stranger Kyoko came out long before the Ultra Maniac anime (unless I'm mistaken, which I very well could be XD), so it's less "taking an idea" than it is a "there are about 4,000 manga out there with a 'find x-number of stones until the real plot starts'" series, though only 3 volumes. XD Still, I'm excited! XD

It was mainly the whole "holy stones" thing that made me think of Ultra Maniac. I think there were what...5? In Ultra Maniac whereas this manga is having her find 12. I wonder why they always go the holy stone route for "magical girl shoujo". :D

And yes, every time I open an Arina Tanemura work I always do a double take and say, "Wait, I must've picked up Full Moon..."

minakichan (post: 1223747) wrote:Latest work?! Isn't Time Stranger Kyoko INSANELY old?!

Yeah, I know it's her older stuff but for some reason I always equate the "older works" as the latest for US manga readers because the Japanese get it first and we receive it last even though it is a few years out of date. ^__^
yukoxholic

Postby Ashley » Fri May 09, 2008 11:25 am

I'm actually very excited about this title more so than ION because Time Stranger Kyoko seems different than her other works.

Um...it is? Most of her work is about girl heroines with some sort of special ability solving various dilemmas, usually relational alongside the "real" ones. I don't see how TSK is all that different, but you could make a case for Gentleman's Alliance being different...

Anyway,
Yeah, I know it's her older stuff but for some reason I always equate the "older works" as the latest for US manga readers because the Japanese get it first and we receive it last even though it is a few years out of date. ^__^

I think what's actually happening here is that because FMS was SO POPULAR, Viz decided to jump on the rights to her older stuff and sell them while the fad is hot before CMX or Tokyopop could jump on it.

In fact, I'm pretty sure she wrote TSK before Kamikaze Kaitou Jeanne.

Actually, KKJ predates TSK. The order is, I believe: Firecracker is Melancholy - ION - KKJ - TSK - FMS - GA

As for me, I'm actually pretty happy about this. I really enjoyed TSK and thought it was a very fun series; I just wish she had spent more time developing the other "strangers" because they seem kind of thrown in, especially the guy that she used for Maguri's character design later. XD
Ashley

Postby yukoxholic » Sat May 10, 2008 4:43 pm

Ashley (post: 1224515) wrote:Um...it is? Most of her work is about girl heroines with some sort of special ability solving various dilemmas, usually relational alongside the "real" ones. I don't see how TSK is all that different, but you could make a case for Gentleman's Alliance being different...

I've only ever read Full Moon from Arina Tanemura. I usually stay away from her works because her art-style is similar and I feel as if I am reading the same book over and over again since the characters look the same. So, technically to me, Time Stranger Kyoko would be a different type of story because I have never read any of her other works. ^__^

I just wish she'd grow a little more in her art style. I mean stylistically it's eye-catching but it's too closely related to the style of her other works. Though that could be why most people love her work because it's familiar and these are her older publications so, I suppose you can't change that now!
yukoxholic

Postby Psycho Molos » Sat May 10, 2008 4:58 pm

Radical Dreamer (post: 1223743) wrote:fjdksalfj, So that's the release date! I've been wanting to read Time Stranger Kyoko for a long time now, but I was never able to find scans for it. Regardless, I'm glad it's coming out soon!

Two words....

Inu

Yasha :P hahahahaha
Psycho Molos

Postby Ashley » Mon May 12, 2008 9:32 am

I just wish she'd grow a little more in her art style. I mean stylistically it's eye-catching but it's too closely related to the style of her other works. Though that could be why most people love her work because it's familiar and these are her older publications so, I suppose you can't change that now!

Well, it's sort of unfair to level that against TSK and ION, things that are ages old...and really, if her work is selling like crazy, why should she have any incentive to change it?

Time Stranger Kyoko came out long before the Ultra Maniac anime (unless I'm mistaken, which I very well could be XD), so it's less "taking an idea" than it is a "there are about 4,000 manga out there with a 'find x-number of stones until the real plot starts'" series, though only 3 volumes. XD Still, I'm excited! XD

As far as I remember, there was next to nothing about "find x-number of stones" in the "real plot"--that was basically the surface gimmick to explore all the relationship drama and stuff she threw in there. I wouldn't pick up TSK expecting Inuyasha; it would be like expecting Fushigi Yugi to actually be about a girl saving a fictional world rather than the relational drama we all know it was really about. :p
Ashley

Postby Radical Dreamer » Mon May 12, 2008 10:03 am

[quote="Ashley (post: 1225604)"]As far as I remember, there was next to nothing about "find x-number of stones" in the "real plot"--that was basically the surface gimmick to explore all the relationship drama and stuff she threw in there. I wouldn't pick up TSK expecting Inuyasha]

Oh, that's good to know, then! XD I definitely wasn't expecting that to be all the story was about, but it helps to know it plays a comparatively small role. XD

On a completely different side note, I've picked up a few extra volumes of KKJ (I now have 1-6 instead of 1-3 XD), and I'm really enjoying the plot. Knowing that TSK actually came sandwiched between Jeanne and Full Moon, I'm hoping it'll be a cute series that mirrors some of the storytelling styles in both of those works while being something all on its own, as well. XD

Radical Dreamer

Postby Ashley » Mon May 12, 2008 2:03 pm

RadicalDreamer wrote:Knowing that TSK actually came sandwiched between Jeanne and Full Moon, I'm hoping it'll be a cute series that mirrors some of the storytelling styles in both of those works while being something all on its own, as well. XD

Actually, I'd say TSK has the least amount of cute of any Tanemura series, (boy I'm just shattering all your expectations, aren't I?) but it's definitely got a lot of "all it's own" thing going on; namely, great plot twists (as in more than one of 'em).
Ashley

Postby Radical Dreamer » Mon May 12, 2008 2:09 pm

Ashley (post: 1225676) wrote:Actually, I'd say TSK has the least amount of cute of any Tanemura series, (boy I'm just shattering all your expectations, aren't I?) but it's definitely got a lot of "all it's own" thing going on]plot twists[/B] (as in more than one of 'em).

That's probably the best news I've heard thus far, actually. XDD I'm a total sucker for plot twists, and most of my favorites when it comes to manga, movies, and literature are full of them. XD So while the "cuteness" factor may be shattered for now, the plot twist factor outweighs it. XDD Good to hear!

Radical Dreamer

Return to Manga and Manga Reviews