Shoujo manga questions

Post about anime's sister, manga in here. Manga reviews accepted in here as well.

Shoujo manga questions

Postby Elycien » Fri Apr 25, 2008 5:43 am

Okay, I've recently discovered a couple of shoujo manga series and was wondering if you guys had any opinion on them - I was kind of wondering about content.

The first was Hana-Kimi. The premise seems quite entertaining and reminds me of Ouran, but my question is - does it get any more risque than Ouran did? There's some potentially unpleasant situations in both, but Ouran handed everything with humor and innocence. Does Hana-Kimi do the same thing, or is it any worse?

The second is Honey and Clover. I'm less concerned about content in this one from what I saw - seems like a fairly innocent and fun slice-of-life/relationship/romance type series. I've been looking for a good, touching, bittersweet series to read ever since Imadoki, which I think was the last shoujo series I read and wasn't nearly long enough. XD Shonen series are fun too, but I've been wanting a bit more cute lately.

So. Could you guys recommend Hana-Kimi and Honey and Clover or not, and why? ^^ Thanks!~

ImageImageImageImageImage
My dragons ^^ Please click!
Elycien

Postby Ashley » Fri Apr 25, 2008 9:45 am

Well, I have not read the Honey and Clover manga, but I did see the anime. And in this case, I think the two are pretty darn close--some of the scenes I did read from the manga seemed to be lifted straight out of the editing room. I just couldn't really get into it because of the art quality--it was a style that worked on screen much better than on paper--but story wise it was awesome. Morita is just hilarious; you should read it for his sake if nothing else. But if it sticks to the anime storyline, it's squeaky clean and very "slice-of-life/bittersweet."

Of course, if you want some melancholy relationships, check out Full Moon. Nothing beats that on melodrama and relational angst. XD
Ashley

Postby Radical Dreamer » Fri Apr 25, 2008 12:25 pm

[quote="Ashley (post: 1220432)"]Well, I have not read the Honey and Clover manga, but I did see the anime. And in this case, I think the two are pretty darn close--some of the scenes I did read from the manga seemed to be lifted straight out of the editing room. I just couldn't really get into it because of the art quality--it was a style that worked on screen much better than on paper--but story wise it was awesome. Morita is just hilarious]

Seconded completely, except Honey & Clover's manga art style ended up growing on me. XD It takes a lot for a manga to make me laugh out loud, and Honey & Clover did that, while keeping a pretty level tone about it. I'd definitely recommend it, along with Ashley's recommendation of Full Moon, which is my second favorite series. XD
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]4 8 15 16 23[/color] 42
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]
[color="Orange"]WELCOME TO MOES[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby minakichan » Fri Apr 25, 2008 1:14 pm

Yaaaaaaay shoujo mangaaaaaaa....

Hrm, Hanazakari no Kimitachi e's "risque" factor is completely different from Ouran's. While Ouran will have the Hitachiin twins comically say cheesy lovey gay lines, Hanakimi will have characters SERIOUSLY say cheesy lovey gay lines. The homosexual characters are definitely meant to be empathized with, and there's the whole "love is unbounded by social constraints!!!" stuff. However, I think Hanakimi's crime is more that it's incredibly cheesy and the main character is too flat than its social views =/ and I actually like Hanakimi. Watch the dramas (Taiwanese or Japanese) instead, they're more entertaining =D

Honey and Clover is ridiculously cute at times =D
ImageImage
minakichan

Postby Elycien » Sat Apr 26, 2008 1:42 pm

Cute is good. XD Cute is kind of what I'm looking for at the moment. <3 I think I'll have to look into Honey and Clover, but I'l most probably avoid Hana-Kimi... Thanks~

ImageImageImageImageImage
My dragons ^^ Please click!
Elycien

Postby Kairi » Sun Apr 27, 2008 9:43 pm

I haven't read Hana-Kimi yet, but I can definitely back up the recommendations for Honey and Clover, as well as Full Moon. They're two of my favorite series!

I'm like Radical Dreamer when it comes to the art style of H&C -- it definitely grew on me. I can't imagine it looking any other way (nor would I want it to) now. It's really sketchy and most of the panels look as though they were drawn in about 5-10 minutes, but that's what makes the manga so unique. I love it...but if that's not the case for you, at least the anime art is pretty. XD

Another thing that was refreshing to me (though I seriously doubt most people even care) is that the two main female characters, Hagu and Ayu, are often drawn in very modest outfits. Mostly longer skirts and dresses that are actually cute! Since a lot of female characters you see in anime/manga series look like they're only added as eye candy, with huge chests and all that stuff, it's something that stood out to me. Even in shoujo manga, a lot of the girls usually wear short skirts with their uniforms and outfits, so... yeah. *shrugs* I'm not saying we should dress like that all the time; I just think it's important that we stay modest, especially as Christians.

(Sorry this post sounds stupid, I'm tired. XD)
Kairi

Postby Puguni » Fri May 02, 2008 6:07 pm

I think H&C is more josei than shoujo. Josei is the more mature, realistic counterpart of shoujo.
Puguni

Location: In a place where I can wonder why good grammar doesn't apply on the internet.

Postby chibiphonebooth » Fri May 02, 2008 6:29 pm

Elycien (post: 1220779) wrote:Cute is good. XD Cute is kind of what I'm looking for at the moment. <3 I think I'll have to look into Honey and Clover, but I'l most probably avoid Hana-Kimi... Thanks~

if you want cute, you should totally look into Lovely Complex. (or Love * Com)

its one of the cutest shojos i've read. its not completely out yet... its up to chapter 6. i dunno how many more she is making. but its super adorable so far. <3
ImageImageImage

[font="Impact"][SIZE="3"][color="SeaGreen"]"Savannah's signature: ruining serious since 2008"[/color][/SIZE][/font]

[font="Georgia"][color="Orange"][url=yourtoesaremissing.deviantart.com]Visit my DA X3[/url][/color][/font]
chibiphonebooth

Return to Manga and Manga Reviews