Blade of Immortal (discussion thread)

Post about anime's sister, manga in here. Manga reviews accepted in here as well.

Blade of Immortal (discussion thread)

Postby jon_jinn » Fri Jun 15, 2007 10:09 am

i am currently midway through Blade of Immortal volume 12 and i am seriously addicted to this series. the manga has rapidly made its way all the way up to my top 5 mangas list and i have been dying to start a thread for the series. this manga is totally awesome and i don't believe that it gets the appreciation as it deserves. i don't know if this thread'll stay alive for long, but i can probably predict that at least UC will reply. anyways, spoilers will fill this thread so i suggest that you put them in spoiler boxes...

i really like how the author adds so many twists in the shifts and surprising relationships of the different characters. this gives the plot a superior edge, and really makes the manga interesting. [spoiler]especially the meeting/alliance between manji and magatsu[/spoiler]

i can't wait to see more of giichi. i'm sure the author will have some sweet fights with him and some other characters.
[SIZE="4"]*FASTING FROM CAA (9/25/08 - ???)*[/SIZE]

[SIZE="1"]
"Sometimes we don't present the Gospel well enough for the non-elect to reject it."
- John MacArthur

"In the total expanse of the human life, there is not a single square inch of which Christ, who alone is sovereign, does not declare, 'That is mine'."
- Abraham Kuyper

"God the great Creator of all things doth uphold, direct, dispose, and govern all creatures, actions, and things, from the greatest even to the least, by His most wise and holy providence, according to His infallible foreknowledge and the free and immutable counsel of His own will, to the praise of the glory of His wisdom, power, justice, goodness, and mercy."
- Westminister Confession of Faith (Chapter 5, Section 1)

"The wisdom of God has found a way for the love of God to deliver sinners from the wrath of God all the while upholding the righteousness of God!!"
- John Piper

"Grace is the pleasure of God to magnify the worth of God by giving sinners the right and power to delight in God without obscuring the glory of God!"
-John Piper

"The very One from Whom we need to be saved, is the One Who has saved us."
- R.C. Sproul

"All of Christian life is ceaseless worship of God the Father, through the mediatorship of God the Son, by the indwelling power of God the Spirit, doing what God commands in Scripture, not doing what God forbids in Scripture, in culturally contextualized ways, for the furtherance of the Gospel, when both gathered for adoration, and scattered for action, in joyous response to God's glorious grace."
- Mark Driscoll

"Believers do not pray with the view of informing God about things unknown to Him, or of exciting Him to do His duty, or of urging Him as though He were reluctant. On the contrary, they pray in order that they may arouse themselves to seek Him, that they may exercise their faith in meditating on His promises, that they may relieve themselves from their anxieties by pouring them into His bosom; in a word, that they may declare that from Him alone they hope and expect, both for themselves and for others, all good things."
- Martin Luther

"I have to tell you first that I am ready to die. I have put my affairs in order. Your supreme weapon is killing. My supreme weapon is dying, because when you kill me, people all over Romania will read my books and believe on the God that I preach - even more than they do now."
- Dr. Joseph Ton, the exiled Romanian pastor (quoted by James Montgomery Boice)

"The best prayer I ever prayed had enough sin in it to condemn the whole world."
- John Bunyan

"If the Christian has lost sight of Calvary, that shows that he has lost his way."
- J.I. Packer[/SIZE]
jon_jinn

Postby Fish and Chips » Fri Jun 15, 2007 11:11 am

I totally need to read more of this series.
Fish and Chips

Postby Mave » Fri Jun 15, 2007 11:00 pm

What exactly would you like to discuss? I haven't gotten really far in Blade of Immortal eversince I moved back to Asia (*sniff* There's no Dark Horse Comics publication here). I think I've read up to Volume 14, I think. I can't remember because my books are in my home country and I randomly read some paperbacks before I left last year.

What I can say without revealing too many spoilers is my opinion of Anotsu has changed throughout the series as we get the opportunity to understand his philosophy and the intentions behind his goals. I can't say that I agree with him but I think I can understand him.

Makie is my fav. female character hands down, even though Hyakurin and Rin (who's maturing throughout the series) are among the few strong female characters. Hyakurin is notably tough because despite her history and the more recent happenings, she still hasn't gone insane. I don't think I can survive that type of crap in life.

I do like Giichi and wish for no harm to come to him but who knows? This series isn't shy about killing off supporting characters. As a whole, many ppl die and the violence can be quite graphic at times <-- those new to this series should be aware of this

While I have strong attachments to characters I like in this series, I also equally have the same feelings for those that I dislike.

[spoiler=Magatsu vs Shira] When Magatsu took down that freak Shira, I was estatic. 'Eat this, monster! You didn't have to kill O-Ren that way, you sadistic --------!" That's the way to go, country boy Magatsu![/spoiler]
Mave

Postby jon_jinn » Sat Jun 16, 2007 8:42 am

Mave wrote:[spoiler=Magatsu vs Shira] When Magatsu took down that freak Shira, I was estatic. 'Eat this, monster! You didn't have to kill O-Ren that way, you sadistic --------!" That's the way to go, country boy Magatsu![/spoiler]

i totally agree with you there, my friend. one thing i like about this series is the fact that there isn't any GRAPHIC nudity (at least as far as i've read). yes, there are implied rapes and sex scenes, but the majority of them are not publicly shown, and would-be nudity is usually covered up, or simply drawn or shaded in a way that would prevent any graphic nudity from being shown.

Mave wrote:What exactly would you like to discuss?

well, you can simply talk about your opinion of the series, or talk about certain parts of the manga that you found particularly interesting. i'm not sure if we can really get into a deep discussion, plot-wise because i don't think there are very many members who read this series...

[SIZE="1"]
"Sometimes we don't present the Gospel well enough for the non-elect to reject it."
- John MacArthur

"In the total expanse of the human life, there is not a single square inch of which Christ, who alone is sovereign, does not declare, 'That is mine'."
- Abraham Kuyper

"God the great Creator of all things doth uphold, direct, dispose, and govern all creatures, actions, and things, from the greatest even to the least, by His most wise and holy providence, according to His infallible foreknowledge and the free and immutable counsel of His own will, to the praise of the glory of His wisdom, power, justice, goodness, and mercy."

"The wisdom of God has found a way for the love of God to deliver sinners from the wrath of God all the while upholding the righteousness of God!!"
- John Piper

"Grace is the pleasure of God to magnify the worth of God by giving sinners the right and power to delight in God without obscuring the glory of God!"
-John Piper

- R.C. Sproul

"All of Christian life is ceaseless worship of God the Father, through the mediatorship of God the Son, by the indwelling power of God the Spirit, doing what God commands in Scripture, not doing what God forbids in Scripture, in culturally contextualized ways, for the furtherance of the Gospel, when both gathered for adoration, and scattered for action, in joyous response to God's glorious grace."
- Mark Driscoll

"Believers do not pray with the view of informing God about things unknown to Him, or of exciting Him to do His duty, or of urging Him as though He were reluctant. On the contrary, they pray in order that they may arouse themselves to seek Him, that they may exercise their faith in meditating on His promises, that they may relieve themselves from their anxieties by pouring them into His bosom; in a word, that they may declare that from Him alone they hope and expect, both for themselves and for others, all good things."
- Martin Luther

"I have to tell you first that I am ready to die. I have put my affairs in order. Your supreme weapon is killing. My supreme weapon is dying, because when you kill me, people all over Romania will read my books and believe on the God that I preach - even more than they do now."

"The best prayer I ever prayed had enough sin in it to condemn the whole world."
- John Bunyan

"If the Christian has lost sight of Calvary, that shows that he has lost his way."
- J.I. Packer[/SIZE]
jon_jinn

Postby uc pseudonym » Sat Jun 16, 2007 12:02 pm

Yes, I'm a definite fan of this series as well. For the moment, though, I don't have a lot to say. My reading is unfortunately sporadic, which messes with my mental perception of the plot.

As far as characters go, I like Giichi as well.
uc pseudonym

Postby jon_jinn » Sat Jun 16, 2007 3:11 pm

well, i finished volume 12, and am rapidly chugging through volume 13.

[spoiler]now that rin and anotsu are traveling together, it's quite interesting to see how they are interacting with one another. ironic how rin ends up having to travel with the very person she seeks to kill.[/spoiler]

as for anotsu, he's not your normal antagonist. his character is quite complex and i'm hoping to find out more about his background history as the story progresses...

[SIZE="1"]
- John MacArthur

- Abraham Kuyper

- John Piper

-John Piper

- R.C. Sproul

- Mark Driscoll

- Martin Luther

- John Bunyan

- J.I. Packer[/SIZE]
jon_jinn

Postby uc pseudonym » Sun Jun 17, 2007 1:04 pm

I don't think Anotsu is the antagonist at all (though he seems to be for much of the beginning). There is a character you have yet to meet that may be the series' true antagonist. He fits the bill in a lot of ways, though so did Anotsu.
uc pseudonym

Postby jon_jinn » Sun Jun 17, 2007 3:41 pm

i suppose the antagonist really depends on who you think the main character is. for some, it is manji; for others, it can be rin. however
[spoiler]since rin and anotsu are traveling together, i think that their relationship will shift quite a bit...[/spoiler]

[SIZE="1"]
- John MacArthur

- Abraham Kuyper

- John Piper

-John Piper

- R.C. Sproul

- Mark Driscoll

- Martin Luther

- John Bunyan

- J.I. Packer[/SIZE]
jon_jinn

Postby Mave » Thu Jul 12, 2007 8:14 pm

uc pseudonym wrote:I don't think Anotsu is the antagonist at all (though he seems to be for much of the beginning). There is a character you have yet to meet that may be the series' true antagonist. He fits the bill in a lot of ways, though so did Anotsu.

I can't imagine whom you're referring to. The head of Mugai-ryu <-- or however you call them)?
Mave

Postby tokiklok » Thu Jul 12, 2007 8:33 pm

i have some of the books
Made by Seppuku ^-^

tokiklok

Postby uc pseudonym » Fri Jul 13, 2007 1:06 pm

Mave wrote:I can't imagine whom you're referring to. The head of Mugai-ryu <-- or however you call them)?

Here is where my method of occasional reading hurts, because I can't remember names well. I think his name is Kagimura Habaki. He's the one who
[spoiler]ordered all the testing on Manji. The samurai with the mustache. I think he is the villain because
1) he seems pretty evil
2) commands numerous forces
3) is playing many of the other groups off against each other
4) is powerful, evidenced by how he beats Manji at first draw.

I could be wrong, though.[/spoiler]
uc pseudonym

Postby Fish and Chips » Sun Apr 27, 2008 1:41 am

Bringing this thread back from the dead to talk about it. Currently polishing off volume 11, Hiroaki Samura continues to impress me with each volume and it has quickly joined my top tier titles.

Shira is a word that would probably get me banned, but it kind of balances out because Giichi is awesome for what little screen time he has and Shinriji ended up being epic. And while I want to warm up to Anotsu, kinda difficult when nearly everyone he associates with is basically the bottom of the barrel when it comes to humanity. Moving along, but still.
Fish and Chips

Postby jon_jinn » Sun Apr 27, 2008 2:29 pm

i was able to get about halfway through the latest volume at my local bookstore (volume 18) before i had to leave. the story is increasingly interesting, though it took me a while to recall what was happening because it's been a good 3 months since i read the last volume. the artwork never ceases to amaze me. the characters are all each so unique.

manji's current situation is one of increasing intensity and intrigue. it should be quite interesting to see how that is resolved.

[SIZE="1"]
- John MacArthur

- Abraham Kuyper

- John Piper

-John Piper

- R.C. Sproul

- Mark Driscoll

- Martin Luther

- John Bunyan

- J.I. Packer[/SIZE]
jon_jinn

Return to Manga and Manga Reviews