Anime license deals for North America

The real heart of CAA; discuss specific series, issues, and things related to anime here.

Postby KhakiBlueSocks » Sun Apr 20, 2008 12:39 am

Roy Mustang (post: 1219019) wrote:Bandai will re-release Ghost in the Shell: Innocence film on DVD and Blu-ray Disc with an English dub. The first time that it was release, it didn't have an english dub.
Col. Roy Mustang

I remember that...I picked it up when GameStop had a "Buy two, get four free" sale on used DVD's. I noticed it didn't have an english track...weird...
Joshua: Hebrew -The LORD is Salvation

" wrote:RustyClaymore 11:27 - Ah yes, Socks is the single raindrop responsible for the flood. XD

Check out my new anime review blog, "The Cajun Samurai"

http://thecajunsamurai.wordpress.com/
KhakiBlueSocks

Postby Roy Mustang » Sun Apr 20, 2008 4:54 pm

KhakiBlueSocks wrote:I remember that...I picked it up when GameStop had a "Buy two, get four free" sale on used DVD's. I noticed it didn't have an english track...weird...

Not really weird. The American production company DreamWorks initially released the movie in theaters and on DVD with subtitles in 2004, but with no English dubbing.

My understanding was, they didn't want to do a dub of it and wanted to get the thing release in theaters and on dvd.

But when it was release in the UK, it was release by Manga Entertainment and they did a dub for it.

[color="Red"][font="Book Antiqua"]Col. Roy Mustang

[/font][/color]
Roy Mustang

Postby Hana Ryuuzaki » Sun Apr 20, 2008 6:18 pm

[font="palatino Linotype"]ADV has acquired 'Yamato Nadeshiko Shichi Henge', or 'The Wallflower'.

Kadokawa USA has acquired 'Lucky*Star', and it will be released on DVD on May 6, 2008. :dance:

'Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion' will be screened and dubbed by Adult Swim.

...while Adult Swim network will begin screening the first episode of Code Geass later in Spring. In contrast to this, New York Comic Con will premiere their dubbing during the Apr 18-20 event...

Hey, do you guys think that they will dub D.Gray-man?[/font]
[SIGPIC]http://christiananime.net/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=9906&dateline=1214542817[/SIGPIC]
[SIZE="1"][color="Plum"]WHY GOD MADE J-ROCK: Kamijo[/color][/SIZE]
[color="LightBlue"][SIZE="3"][font="Century Gothic"]Crucify My Love, If My Love Is Blind...[/SIZE][/color][/font]
Hana Ryuuzaki

Postby Roy Mustang » Sun Apr 20, 2008 6:56 pm

Hana Ryuuzaki wrote:Hey, do you guys think that they will dub D.Gray-man?

Not sure.

You should check out the Anime DVD release date for North America thread

http://www.christiananime.net/showthread.php?t=41181

We try to keep a list of what animes will be coming out months a head of time.

and the The network TV: anime schedule and schedule changes thread

http://www.christiananime.net/showthread.php?t=22507

We try to report the anime lineup and if any channels will getting any rights to air anime.

[color="Red"][font="Book Antiqua"]
Col. Roy Mustang[/font]
[/color]
Roy Mustang

Postby EricTheFred » Mon Apr 21, 2008 7:29 am

"Lucky Star?" YES!!

But, what are they going to do about Konata's karaoke scenes in the EDs? What English-language voice actress could ever pull that off???

My .02 on sub-only releases...

I wish they would release more anime with sub-only, particularly the ones that they don't think they will sell enough to make money on the dub. Sub-only distributions cost far less money, and right now, they don't take advantage of this fact in order to fill in the many quality shows that aren't Naruto-Bleach-InuYasha-whatever blockbuster hits.

By failing to release so many fine shows, they are only adding fuel to the fan-subbing-coverted-to-pirated-DVD machine that is eating into their own profits.

By selling more sub-onlys, they could also promote what I think is the obvious next step for Anime fans as they grow up. There are many very good Dorama (Live-action shows) on Japanese TV. I would be ecstatic if I could buy North American region DVDs for these, and I'll bet a fair number of older Anime fans would be interested in them.

I would love to have a copy of "Shika Otoko Awoniyoshi", for example. I loved watching this on AZN (they just barely wrapped up the series just as the network went off the air.) The only place I have found it so far, I suspect to be a seller of pirated stuff. I've been trying to find out if the rightful owners have ever authorized an 'all-region' DVD. I'm guessing they haven't.
May the Lord bless you and keep you.
May He cause His face to shine upon you.
May He lift up His countenance and grant you peace.

Maokun: Ninjas or Pirates? (Vikings are not a valid answer, sorry)

EricTheFred: Vikings are always a valid answer.

Feel free to visit My Writing.com Portfolio

Largo: "Well Ed, good to see ya. Guess I gotta beat the crap out of you now."

Jamie Hyneman: "It's just another lovely day at the bomb range. Birds are singing, rabbits are hopping about, and soon there's going to be a big explosion."
EricTheFred

Postby Roy Mustang » Mon Apr 21, 2008 4:37 pm

EricTheFred wrote:Sub-only distributions cost far less money, and right now, they don't take advantage of this fact in order to fill in the many quality shows that aren't Naruto-Bleach-InuYasha-whatever blockbuster hits.

If that was the case, then why is Bandai Visual USA sub only dvd's cost so much.

So, I don't buy the sub-only distributions coast far less money. Most of the time that cost is, because of the price they paid for the rights to it.

Yes, some older animes would do fine in a sub only format, but that is not always the case.

Also, when some people heard that the Ghost in the Shell: Innocence movie was not going to have a dub for the dvd, they didn't buy it. Most went and bought the UK version of the movie, because of the dub.

This shows that Bandai saw that some wanted the dub, to re-release it.

[color="Red"][font="Book Antiqua"]Col. Roy Mustang[/font][/color]
Roy Mustang

Postby MasterDias » Mon Apr 21, 2008 4:47 pm

Roy Mustang (post: 1219494) wrote:If that was the case, then why is Bandai Visual USA sub only dvd's cost so much.

Bandai Visual's a bizarre exception though. They somehow believe Americans are willing to pay insane prices. I'm certain that all of their series would cost far less under any other distributor.
-----------------------------------------
"Always seek to do good to one another and to all."
1 Thessalonians 5:15

"Every story must have an ending." - Auron - Final Fantasy X

"A small stone may make a ripple at first, but someday it will be a wave." - Wiegraf - Final Fantasy Tactics
MasterDias

Postby Roy Mustang » Mon Apr 21, 2008 5:19 pm

The price that I saw most of the time for the Ghost in the Shell: Innocence DVD was the same prices that I saw for dvds that had a dub in it.

I just don't buy the sub only cost less and I just think its nothing more an sub elite talk.

BTW: Lucky Star thread can be found here at this thread with some of the news about it.

http://www.christiananime.net/showthread.php?t=45305&highlight=lucky+star&page=2

Roy Mustang

Postby MasterDias » Mon Apr 21, 2008 6:00 pm

Roy Mustang (post: 1219501) wrote:The price that I saw most of the time for the Ghost in the Shell: Innocence DVD was the same prices that I saw for dvds that had a dub in it.

Wasn't Ghost in the Shell: Innocence sub-only DVD (formally) distributed by Dreamworks? They aren't exactly a normal anime distributor either.

"A small stone may make a ripple at first, but someday it will be a wave." - Wiegraf - Final Fantasy Tactics
MasterDias

Postby Roy Mustang » Mon Apr 21, 2008 6:13 pm

MasterDias wrote:Wasn't Ghost in the Shell: Innocence sub-only DVD (formally) distributed by Dreamworks? They aren't exactly a normal anime distributor either.

Right, they are not a normal anime distributor. The only other anime that they release was Millennium Actress.

Roy Mustang

Postby ShiroiHikari » Mon Apr 21, 2008 6:24 pm

Eric, I tend to agree with you. My fiance and I want to see a lot of old mecha shows, but dubbing them would be a waste of time and money. I think for the big stuff, a dub is necessary, but for the obscure old stuff, the chances are the fans who'd buy it don't want a dub anyway.
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby Roy Mustang » Thu May 01, 2008 12:05 pm

Right Stuf pick up the NA license for Aria.

A box set of 13 episodes will be release on September 30, in sub format only.

Roy Mustang

Postby Roy Mustang » Sun May 11, 2008 11:49 am

Funimation picks up Save Me! Lollipop (Mamotte! Lollipop)

[font="Book Antiqua"][color="Red"]Col. Roy Mustang[/color][/font]
Roy Mustang

Postby Roy Mustang » Tue May 13, 2008 1:24 pm

More licenses for Funimation.

They have pick up Kenichi the Mightiest Disciple.

Also, it looks like they got Darker then Black and Gunslinger Girl -Il Teatrino

[color="Red"]

[font="Book Antiqua"]Col. Roy Mustang[/font][/color]
Roy Mustang

Postby RobinSena » Tue May 13, 2008 1:50 pm

Roy Mustang (post: 1225943) wrote:Also, it looks like they got Darker then Black and Gunslinger Girl -Il Teatrino

You have no idea how much you just made my day.(Not sure about the grammar, but I don't feel like taking the time to work it out right now. :P) I've been hoping to hear about this being licensed.
RobinSena

Postby Sheenar » Tue May 13, 2008 7:03 pm

There's a second Gunslinger Girl?!? That is awesome! I really enjoyed the first one (though it was really sad...).
"Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all. So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal." 2 Corinthians 4:16-18

"Since the creation of the Internet, the Earth's rotation has been fueled, primarily, by the collective spinning of English teachers in their graves."
Sheenar

Postby RobinSena » Wed May 14, 2008 2:07 pm

Confirmed (^_^)

" wrote:FUNimation Entertainment has announced its acquisition of Gunslinger Girl -Il Teatrino-. The anime is the sequel to Gunslinger Girl, which Funimation released in North America starting in 2005. Both series are based on the manga by Yu Aida and follows a group of cyborg girls who work as government assassins. Gunslinger Girl -Il Teatrino- aired in Japan this year from January 7 to March 31. The official English website is now online, after Funimation used its main company website to broadly "hint" at its license yesterday.

Unlike the first series, which was produced by Madhouse (BECK: Mongolian Chop Squad, Claymore), Gunslinger Girl -Il Teatrino- was produced by Artland (Eyeshield 21, Mushi-Shi).
RobinSena

Postby Roy Mustang » Thu May 15, 2008 9:37 am

Funimation licenses Strain: Strategic Armored Infantry.

Roy Mustang

Postby Roy Mustang » Fri May 16, 2008 11:39 am

Funimation licenses Shigurui.

Roy Mustang

Postby GeneD » Fri May 16, 2008 1:53 pm

Is there somewhere that gives a comprehensive list of anime that has been licensed? Just for someone who wants to have a quick scan over the titles without fishing throught this thread and other such resources. Thanks. :thumb:
GeneD

Postby Roy Mustang » Fri May 16, 2008 2:57 pm

GeneD wrote:Is there somewhere that gives a comprehensive list of anime that has been licensed? Just for someone who wants to have a quick scan over the titles without fishing throught this thread and other such resources. Thanks. :thumb:

Look for a pm, there is one place that could be helpful.

[font="Book Antiqua"][color="red"]Col. Roy Mustang[/color][/font]
Roy Mustang

Postby Roy Mustang » Sat May 17, 2008 8:41 pm

Reported today at Anime Central con, Funimation licenses Romeo x Juliet and D.Gray-Man.

Also, a release date for Ouran High School Host Club will be revealed during a special event on May 30.

Roy Mustang

Postby Roy Mustang » Fri May 23, 2008 10:57 pm

Bandai licenses Sword of the Stranger and it will get a brief theatrical run in the states.

Roy Mustang

Postby ilikegir33 » Thu Jun 12, 2008 5:17 am

Roy Mustang (post: 1227137) wrote:Reported today at Anime Central con, Funimation licenses [Romeo x Juliet and D.Gray-Man.

Also, a release date for Ouran High School Host Club will be revealed during a special event on May 30.

YES!!!! You have made my day! I have waited for Romeo x Juliet and D. Gray Man for quite some time.
:dizzy: [color="Orange"]People are so crazy these days. If you are one of those crazy ppl, then copy this into your sig![/color]:dizzy:
MOES. "Take off every sig for great justice"
@)}~`,~ Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks To All The CAA Moderators.
What I'll be reviewing in the future:
SoulTaker (soon to start)
Whoever loves discipline loves knowledge, but he who hates correction is stupid. Proverbs 12:1
ilikegir33

Postby Aleolus » Thu Jun 12, 2008 10:02 am

Anyone know who holds the liscense to Tokyo Underground now that Geneon has gone under? As well as where I should look to try to get my hands on some?
"Please stand down, I don't want meaningless bloodshed!" chaos-Xenosaga

"Who are you?"
"If I knew that, I wouldn't be suffering." - Hakuro, Utawarerumono

"Dirty thoughts are bad!" Mahoro, Mahoromatic

Help my dragons to grow, please!
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Aleolus

Postby MasterDias » Thu Jun 12, 2008 12:16 pm

Despite some general rumors circulating around, no one has acquired Geneon's titles as of yet.

Rightstuf currently has a Geneon DVD/CD clearance sale going on. You can get all of Tokyo Underground for about $30, but I would hurry if you really want it, as the counter is low on several of the DVDs.

MasterDias

Postby EricTheFred » Thu Jun 12, 2008 12:53 pm

Late last week, I got the entire "Mermaid Forest" and "Takahashi Anthology" for $30, including shipping... I would dance a happy dance, except this is happening because a company went belly-up.

Other American anime and manga distributors have been showing signs of distress lately, too. I'm getting a little worried.
May the Lord bless you and keep you.
May He cause His face to shine upon you.
May He lift up His countenance and grant you peace.

Maokun: Ninjas or Pirates? (Vikings are not a valid answer, sorry)

EricTheFred: Vikings are always a valid answer.

Feel free to visit My Writing.com Portfolio

Largo: "Well Ed, good to see ya. Guess I gotta beat the crap out of you now."

Jamie Hyneman: "It's just another lovely day at the bomb range. Birds are singing, rabbits are hopping about, and soon there's going to be a big explosion."
EricTheFred

Postby Roy Mustang » Tue Jun 17, 2008 8:01 pm

Funimation has put up the anime title called Big Windup! Baseball series, which is called Ookiku Furikabutte in Japan.

Roy Mustang

Postby Roy Mustang » Mon Jun 30, 2008 12:39 pm

Funimation has put up the anime title called Heroic Age.

Roy Mustang

Postby Roy Mustang » Fri Jul 04, 2008 4:38 pm

Right Stuf has put up the following titles, Gakuen Alice and Toward the Terra.

The DVD version for Toward the Terra will be the recent Japanese remaster version of the movie.

Roy Mustang

Previous Next

Return to Anime and Anime Reviews