Poll: Top 5 Mangaka/Artists?

Post about anime's sister, manga in here. Manga reviews accepted in here as well.

Poll: Top 5 Mangaka/Artists?

Postby MomoAdachi » Fri Mar 21, 2008 9:22 pm

Mine are:
(1) Arina Tanemura(arigato, Ashley-chan! She is AMAZING!!! And to think she was only around my age when she started KKJ...totemo impressive!)
(2) Naoko Takeuchi
(3) Chihou Saito
(4) Miwa Ueda
(5) Megumi Tachikawa
Some runners-up are Natsumi Ando, Nami Akimoto, CLAMP, Wataru Yoshikumi, and Yuu Watase.
Non-Christian Anti-Hentai Grrl
#1 Dubbed Sailor Moon Fan!
#1 Peach Girl Fan!

98% of the teenage population does or have tried smoking pot. If you are one of the 2% who haven't, copy or paste this in your signature.
MomoAdachi

Postby Radical Dreamer » Fri Mar 21, 2008 9:38 pm

1. Naoki Urasawa
2. Naoki Urasawa
3. Arina Tanemura
4. Nobuhiro Watsuki
5. Hiromu Arakawa

My current favorites. XD
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]4 8 15 16 23[/color] 42
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]
[color="Orange"]WELCOME TO MOES[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby Shao Feng-Li » Fri Mar 21, 2008 9:48 pm

1: Nobuhiro Watsuki

2: Kiyohiko Azuma

3: Kozue Amano

4: Naoki Urasawa

5: Wataru Yoshizumi
Shao Feng-Li

Postby yukoxholic » Sat Mar 22, 2008 12:05 pm

1.) CLAMP
2.) Kozue Amano
3.) Kaoru Mori
4.) Natsuki Takaya
5.) Aya Nakahara and Moyoco Anno tie! ^__^
yukoxholic

Postby jaems-kun » Sat Mar 22, 2008 2:11 pm

Takaharu Matsumoto
Anne Grahame Johnstone (obviously not manga, but my favorite, shoot me)
eiichiro oda \ Yoshihiro Togashi
okama
masakazu katsura
jaems-kun

Postby Fish and Chips » Sat Mar 22, 2008 3:53 pm

1. Osamu Tezuka - The godfather of Manga and Anime. Here on principle, even though I'm not as familiar with his works as I would prefer.
2. Hiromu Arakawa - Wrote FullMetal Alchemist, which officially geared me towards all other Manga. I wouldn't be here if not for her work.
3. Naoki Urasawa - This man is a genius, and I would honestly rank his work on par with the majority of "Real" literature.
4. Hirohiko Araki - Reading Araki is like watching a man learn how to draw. his opening acts are crude, but slowly evolve into a brilliant artist.
5. Hiroaki Samura - If you've seen his art, you'll know why he's on this list.
Fish and Chips

Postby EricTheFred » Sat Mar 22, 2008 4:15 pm

In no particular order, although I think this is from oldest to youngest.

Osamu Tezuka - Invented the archetypal 'Manga' style
Kia Asamiya - Brought the Background to high art
Rumiko Takahashi - Created too many favorites not to be included.
Retsu Tateo - Keeps every frame fun, and can go from goofy to artistic seamlessly.
Yuki Urushibara - Raising both the real and the supernatural to new heights.

And honorable mentions to Shiho Inada, who doesn't yet belong on the list, but who shows great promise as the artist for 'Ghost Hunt', and Hitoshi Ashinano, artist and writer of "Yokohama Shopping Trip", who has a unique flare for bringing nature's beauty and human (or robot) emotion to life in such a simple medium as a black-and-white comic.

I don't include CLAMP, whose writing I love, because I feel they would do better with a uniform style that they raised to new levels. They always feel like they could have done much more, drawn more clearly, worked a little harder to make it right. It isn't the product so much as the missed potential that bothers me.
May the Lord bless you and keep you.
May He cause His face to shine upon you.
May He lift up His countenance and grant you peace.

Maokun: Ninjas or Pirates? (Vikings are not a valid answer, sorry)

EricTheFred: Vikings are always a valid answer.

Feel free to visit My Writing.com Portfolio

Largo: "Well Ed, good to see ya. Guess I gotta beat the crap out of you now."

Jamie Hyneman: "It's just another lovely day at the bomb range. Birds are singing, rabbits are hopping about, and soon there's going to be a big explosion."
EricTheFred

Postby Wild Eagle » Sat Mar 22, 2008 5:18 pm

Nobuhiro Watsuki
CLAMP
Masatsugu Iwase
Mizu Sahara
Hayao Miyazaki
"Have mercy on me O God, according to your unfailing love; according to your great compassion, blot out my transgressions" Psalm 51:1

"Though you have made me see troubles, many and bitter, you will restore my life again; from the depths of the earth, you will again bring me up." Psalm 71:20

"An eye for an eye, will only make the whole world blind."- Mahatma Gandhi
Wild Eagle

Postby jon_jinn » Sun Mar 23, 2008 8:18 pm

Top 5:

1. Naoki Urasawa - Monster, 20th CB, Pluto
2. Kentarou Miura - Berserk
3. Hiroaki Samura - Blade of the Immortal
4. Tohru Fujisawa - Great Teacher Onizuka
5. Katsuhiro Otomo - Akira

other notable mangaka (in no particular order):

Takeshi Obata - Death Note, Hikaru no Go
Hiromu Arakawa - FMA
Eiichiro Oda - One Piece
Osamu Tezuka - too many titles...
[SIZE="4"]*FASTING FROM CAA (9/25/08 - ???)*[/SIZE]

[SIZE="1"]
"Sometimes we don't present the Gospel well enough for the non-elect to reject it."
- John MacArthur

"In the total expanse of the human life, there is not a single square inch of which Christ, who alone is sovereign, does not declare, 'That is mine'."
- Abraham Kuyper

"God the great Creator of all things doth uphold, direct, dispose, and govern all creatures, actions, and things, from the greatest even to the least, by His most wise and holy providence, according to His infallible foreknowledge and the free and immutable counsel of His own will, to the praise of the glory of His wisdom, power, justice, goodness, and mercy."
- Westminister Confession of Faith (Chapter 5, Section 1)

"The wisdom of God has found a way for the love of God to deliver sinners from the wrath of God all the while upholding the righteousness of God!!"
- John Piper

"Grace is the pleasure of God to magnify the worth of God by giving sinners the right and power to delight in God without obscuring the glory of God!"
-John Piper

"The very One from Whom we need to be saved, is the One Who has saved us."
- R.C. Sproul

"All of Christian life is ceaseless worship of God the Father, through the mediatorship of God the Son, by the indwelling power of God the Spirit, doing what God commands in Scripture, not doing what God forbids in Scripture, in culturally contextualized ways, for the furtherance of the Gospel, when both gathered for adoration, and scattered for action, in joyous response to God's glorious grace."
- Mark Driscoll

"Believers do not pray with the view of informing God about things unknown to Him, or of exciting Him to do His duty, or of urging Him as though He were reluctant. On the contrary, they pray in order that they may arouse themselves to seek Him, that they may exercise their faith in meditating on His promises, that they may relieve themselves from their anxieties by pouring them into His bosom; in a word, that they may declare that from Him alone they hope and expect, both for themselves and for others, all good things."
- Martin Luther

"I have to tell you first that I am ready to die. I have put my affairs in order. Your supreme weapon is killing. My supreme weapon is dying, because when you kill me, people all over Romania will read my books and believe on the God that I preach - even more than they do now."
- Dr. Joseph Ton, the exiled Romanian pastor (quoted by James Montgomery Boice)

"The best prayer I ever prayed had enough sin in it to condemn the whole world."
- John Bunyan

"If the Christian has lost sight of Calvary, that shows that he has lost his way."
- J.I. Packer[/SIZE]
jon_jinn

Postby Raiden no Kishi » Wed Mar 26, 2008 8:12 pm

Honorary ("0th"): Osamu Tezuka (for obvious reasons)
1st: Hiromu Arakawa (Fullmetal Alchemist)
Why: I am incredibly impressed with the FMA manga. Arakawa manages to keep all of the characters involved in the plot in a significant way, which is no mean task given the expansive cast. Arakawa's art style also stands out to me (noses! Full-fledged noses!) and works very well in concert with the series.
2nd: Nobuhiro Watsuki (Rurouni Kenshin, Busou Renkin)
Why: It was through Watsuki's Rurouni Kenshin that I was introduced to manga. While the series starts slowly, once the major plot arcs are underway, the series takes off like a rocket. Kenshin also stands out to me as a truly heroic character. However, Busou Renkin, though enjoyable, is not nearly so impressive. It's a pretty standard shounen series without the depth or charm of RuroKen. However, I'll still end up collecting it once I have the necessary disposable income (and after I finish collecting RuroKen!) Watsuki barely beats out the worthy Obata with help from some sentimental appeal.
3rd: Takeshi Obata (Death Note)
This is how manga is written! Obata does not cease to impress with a combination of a deep, labyrinthine plot, captivating dialogue, and excellent art. Death Note is a top-notch series that even non-"otaku" can pick up and be drawn into. Death Note loses points for [spoiler]killing off L Lawliet/Ryuuzaki[/spoiler] which, while somewhat minor, irritated me.
4th: CLAMP (Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicle, xXx_HoLiC)
While I have only read the aforementioned two CLAMP titles, what I've seen has impressed me. CLAMP's art style is beautiful and lush, emphasizing the fantastic nature of the two series. What stands out the most to me, however, is the memorable cast of characters. From the mysterious (and lovably twisted) Yuuko Ichihara to goofy yet clever Fai D. Flowright* and more, both series are full of characters who are enjoyable to watch and cheer for.
5th: Bisco Hatori (Ouran High School Host Club)
I award Hatori the title "Bringer of the LOLs," because Ouran is hilarious! Her main cast (the titular club) represent shoujo stereotypes without seeming one-dimensional. This series, in manga or anime form, is guaranteed to raise more than a few smiles.

.rai//

*While not the most officially correct way to spell Fai's name, it is my favorite and the one that I believe suits the character best. YNMV (your nomenclature may vary).
[raiden's liveJournal]

[color="Indigo"]"I believe whatever doesn't kill you simply makes you . . . stranger."[/color]

Strollin' in at dawn, wakin' up at noon's gonna catch up to me soon
'Just sleep when you're dead' is what I said 'cause I'm jumpin' off the moon
Raiden no Kishi

Location: Ticking away/The hours that make up the dull day . . .

Postby minakichan » Wed Mar 26, 2008 8:54 pm

I'm trying to base this on who's actually good rather than my personal faves (which would include shoujo mangaka like Arina and Ueda Miwa)

Urasawa Naoki (well-rounder)
Tezuka Osamu (well-rounder and classic)
Obata Takeshi (for the art)
Fujisaki Ryu (for the art)

Honorable mention: Arakawa Hiromu (just for Hagaren, and for being a great female shounen mangaka)

BTW rai, Obata didn't actually write Death Note, just did the art.
ImageImage
minakichan

Postby mechana2015 » Wed Mar 26, 2008 9:05 pm

For sheer artistic talent I would post:

1. Yukito Kishiro - Sheer talent and skill. Details to the 'nth degree. Draws every single line, including most backgrounds, by hand. First manga artist to truly amaze me, and draws this level on cyberpunk sci-fi to boot, requiring creativity on top of everything else

2. Naoki Urasawa - Amazing art, character expression and line work. Character design and design that makes them human and relatable. Creates one of the most 'real' worlds in his comics.

3. Kubo Tite - character design, chapter breaks, style flow and design sense. One of the best of the shonen artists for his use of ink.

4. Himoru Arakawa - Charachters and environment. Overall general comic talent.

5. Clamp - mostly for xxHolic. Amazing black and white design. Fun abstraction.

My Deviantart
"MOES. I can has Sane Sig now?"
mechana2015

Postby RidleyofZebes » Wed Mar 26, 2008 9:14 pm

Well, here's my fiv-er, six: :sweat:

Osamu Tezuka - The Godfather of Manga.
Himoru Arakawa - Fullmetal Alchemist. I'm still looking for her lesser-known work, "Stray Dog"
Hajime Yadate & Yoshiyuki Tomino - Gundam.
Akira Toriyama - Dragon Ball, Dr. Slump, Sand Land, Dragon Quest, Chrono Trigger... So Awesome.
Fred Gallagher - MegaTokyo. I know it's not Manga per-say, but...
CLAMP - Although some of their titles are a bit... off (IMO), Their artwork is undeniably awesome.
~Ridley [color="Green"] ;)
[/color]
[font="Arial Black"][color="Red"]My [color="Red"]deviantART[/color][/color][/font] | [font="Arial Black"][color="Red"]My [color="Red"]YouTube[/color][/color][/font]
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
~~~[color="Yellow"]AKA: DarkwaterhHealer~~~[/color]
Even when lurking, I am with you in spirit...

Another Sane Sig brought to you by MOES.
RidleyofZebes

Postby jon_jinn » Wed Mar 26, 2008 9:45 pm

minakichan (post: 1210867) wrote:BTW rai, Obata didn't actually write Death Note, just did the art.

yeah. the person who wrote the story for Death Note is Tsugumi Ooba.
[SIZE="4"]*FASTING FROM CAA (9/25/08 - ???)*[/SIZE]

[SIZE="1"]
"Sometimes we don't present the Gospel well enough for the non-elect to reject it."
- John MacArthur

"In the total expanse of the human life, there is not a single square inch of which Christ, who alone is sovereign, does not declare, 'That is mine'."
- Abraham Kuyper

"God the great Creator of all things doth uphold, direct, dispose, and govern all creatures, actions, and things, from the greatest even to the least, by His most wise and holy providence, according to His infallible foreknowledge and the free and immutable counsel of His own will, to the praise of the glory of His wisdom, power, justice, goodness, and mercy."
- Westminister Confession of Faith (Chapter 5, Section 1)

"The wisdom of God has found a way for the love of God to deliver sinners from the wrath of God all the while upholding the righteousness of God!!"
- John Piper

"Grace is the pleasure of God to magnify the worth of God by giving sinners the right and power to delight in God without obscuring the glory of God!"
-John Piper

"The very One from Whom we need to be saved, is the One Who has saved us."
- R.C. Sproul

"All of Christian life is ceaseless worship of God the Father, through the mediatorship of God the Son, by the indwelling power of God the Spirit, doing what God commands in Scripture, not doing what God forbids in Scripture, in culturally contextualized ways, for the furtherance of the Gospel, when both gathered for adoration, and scattered for action, in joyous response to God's glorious grace."
- Mark Driscoll

"Believers do not pray with the view of informing God about things unknown to Him, or of exciting Him to do His duty, or of urging Him as though He were reluctant. On the contrary, they pray in order that they may arouse themselves to seek Him, that they may exercise their faith in meditating on His promises, that they may relieve themselves from their anxieties by pouring them into His bosom; in a word, that they may declare that from Him alone they hope and expect, both for themselves and for others, all good things."
- Martin Luther

"I have to tell you first that I am ready to die. I have put my affairs in order. Your supreme weapon is killing. My supreme weapon is dying, because when you kill me, people all over Romania will read my books and believe on the God that I preach - even more than they do now."
- Dr. Joseph Ton, the exiled Romanian pastor (quoted by James Montgomery Boice)

"The best prayer I ever prayed had enough sin in it to condemn the whole world."
- John Bunyan

"If the Christian has lost sight of Calvary, that shows that he has lost his way."
- J.I. Packer[/SIZE]
jon_jinn

Postby KeybladeWarrior » Sun Mar 30, 2008 11:26 pm

1. Hiromu Arakawa
2. Nobuhiro Watsuki
3. Osamu Tezuka
4. Yuu Watase
5. Kiyohiko Azuma
@)}~`,~ Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks, To All
The CAA Moderators.

"YEAH TOAST! TOCAA!"
KeybladeWarrior