Lord, What fools these Otaku be...

Post about anime's sister, manga in here. Manga reviews accepted in here as well.

Lord, What fools these Otaku be...

Postby EricTheFred » Tue Feb 12, 2008 12:58 pm

Cliffsnotes goes 'OEL Manga' all over Shakespeare:

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2008-02-12/cliffsnotes-sells-manga-inspired-shakespeare-guides

And the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune get just a wee bit nastier for poor old Will...
May the Lord bless you and keep you.
May He cause His face to shine upon you.
May He lift up His countenance and grant you peace.

Maokun: Ninjas or Pirates? (Vikings are not a valid answer, sorry)

EricTheFred: Vikings are always a valid answer.

Feel free to visit My Writing.com Portfolio

Largo: "Well Ed, good to see ya. Guess I gotta beat the crap out of you now."

Jamie Hyneman: "It's just another lovely day at the bomb range. Birds are singing, rabbits are hopping about, and soon there's going to be a big explosion."
EricTheFred

Postby minakichan » Tue Feb 12, 2008 1:25 pm

I totally facefaulted at this, and I can't figure out if it's more because a) there's the whole "big eyes and swooshy hair a manga make" or b) they're coming out with illustrated CliffNotes. Illustrated Cliffnotes! WHAT?
ImageImage
minakichan

Postby uc pseudonym » Tue Feb 12, 2008 2:27 pm

I have no problem with manga, obviously. I have no problem with adaptations of classic literature. But this seems a bit bizarre. Though Shakespeare is very low on my list of classic authors, even I want to keep the integrity of the text itself. Where did the iambic pentameter go, I ask you?*

Secondly, I really don't see how this will help (except for classes where you need to know nothing but a basic synopsis of the story). Coming from the "SAT-prep OEL manga" people, though, I should expect this kind of thing.

minakichan wrote:Illustrated Cliffnotes! WHAT?

As I see it, this is a step toward removing words entirely so that lazy students won't have to read at all.

*If they didn't change the dialogue and kept it formatted such, I retract the comment with my apologies.
uc pseudonym

Postby ShiroiHikari » Tue Feb 12, 2008 3:00 pm

Is it just me, or does the art look like a very, very pale imitation of "manga-style"? It didn't really look that good at all from the pictures of the covers.
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby LadyRushia » Tue Feb 12, 2008 6:23 pm

ShiroiHikari wrote:Is it just me, or does the art look like a very, very pale imitation of "manga-style"? It didn't really look that good at all from the pictures of the covers.

Yeah, I thought so as well. "Manga-style" cliffnotes, what is the world coming to?
Fanfiction (updated 1/1/11)-- Lucky Star--Ginsaki ch. 4
[color="Magenta"]Sometimes I post things.[/color]
Image Image Image
LadyRushia

Postby Kanerou » Wed Feb 13, 2008 1:50 pm

I agree. If it was the full play, fine. But what the heck? *hopes someone else will illustrate full versions*

Just as a random thought, I wonder how many people that call anime filthy are avid readers of/liked Shakespearean plays.
"You've gotta speak about those things you don't currently see as though they already exist. Back in the beginning, God didn't look into space and say, 'Gee, it's dark.' He called light into existence."

Gotta Getta Gundam. ;)

Raiden no Kishi (post: 1218170) wrote:Also, I hope never to hear "Nate" and "prance" in the same sentence again . . .
Kanerou

Postby LadyRushia » Wed Feb 13, 2008 2:40 pm

Kanerou wrote:Just as a random thought, I wonder how many people that call anime filthy are avid readers of/liked Shakespearean plays.

I wonder that as well; but I guess Shakespeare is excused because it's literature and anime is just a bunch of "silly cartoons."
Image Image Image
LadyRushia

Postby rocklobster » Sat Feb 16, 2008 4:47 am

LadyRushia (post: 1199074) wrote:Yeah, I thought so as well. "Manga-style" cliffnotes, what is the world coming to?

I take it you never heard of Classics Illustrated? This was a series of graphic novels that were adaptations of classic works. I doubt seriously the manga version of Shakespeare will differ much from that idea.
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you. I appointed you to be a prophet of all nations."
--Jeremiah 1:5
Hit me up on social media!
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100007205508246<--Facebook

I'm also on Amino as Radical Edward, and on Reddit as Rocklobster as well.

click here for my playlist!
my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby LadyRushia » Sat Feb 16, 2008 6:51 pm

I was half-joking when I said that, XD. I know that other people have done this sort of thing before.
Image Image Image
LadyRushia

Postby whisperingloon » Sun Mar 16, 2008 8:27 pm

As a former English teacher (I resigned last year to write full time -- hardest decision of my life), I can say I've always wanted to have a full length Manga Shakespeare.

Shakespeare is meant to be watched. Period. As with any good drama. A good drama can be in any language and almost anyone will be able to follow it, if the characters do their job.

"That blonde guy is angry at that bald dude because they both love the same woman."

Unfortunately, English classrooms too often focus on the "WORDS WORDS WORDS" and lose the students, until they pop in the movie at the end of the unit. We can complain about lazy students, but let's face facts: kids have hated Shakespeare for centuries.

Because it's meant to be SEEN. Not READ.

So, a manga Shakespeare would work INCREDIBLY by allowing the students to see the visual cues they were meant to see, while being able to at the same time focus on the words. So when all these minor characters show up, they have the visual cue of the face and costuming and KNOW it's so-and-so. And they can also get the visual cue of the person's emotional state before plowing into the soliloquy.

Unfortunately, while I tried to get a couple of my publishers to consider such a thing, and a couple of them agreed it would be something they could sell . . . now we've got everyone and their brother doing it. (And most not doing it well -- I couldn't use any of the ones that I have seen in a classroom setting.)

So Ben Avery's Romeo and Juliet has become a pipe dream.

Some day . . .

Some day . . .

~ Ben
~~~~~~~~
www.benaveryonline.com
The descent to Avernus is easy;
The gate of Pluto stands open night and day;
But to retrace one’s steps and return to the upper air,
That is the toil, that is the difficulty.
-Virgil
whisperingloon

Postby Maledicte » Sun Mar 16, 2008 10:35 pm

But...they already came out with graphic novel versions of Shakespeare. I saw them at Barnes & Noble. http://www.barnesandnoble.com/sparknotes/nofear-shakespeare/index.asp?bnit=H&bnrefer=CMEC by Sparknotes, no less...

But they're not manga... alright...
Maledicte

Postby Cognitive Gear » Sun Mar 16, 2008 10:42 pm

SirThinks2Much (post: 1207926) wrote:But...they already came out with graphic novel versions of Shakespeare. I saw them at Barnes & Noble. http://www.barnesandnoble.com/sparknotes/nofear-shakespeare/index.asp?bnit=H&bnrefer=CMEC by Sparknotes, no less...

But they're not manga... alright...

I had no idea that my distaste for the arbitrary separation of "manga" from "comics" could grow worse. Apparently it just did.
[font="Tahoma"][SIZE="2"]"It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things."

-Terry Pratchett[/SIZE][/font]
Cognitive Gear

Postby whisperingloon » Mon Mar 17, 2008 5:33 am

SirThinks2Much (post: 1207926) wrote:But...they already came out with graphic novel versions of Shakespeare. I saw them at Barnes & Noble. http://www.barnesandnoble.com/sparknotes/nofear-shakespeare/index.asp?bnit=H&bnrefer=CMEC by Sparknotes, no less...

That's the closest I've seen to anything that could be used in a classroom.

~ Ben
~~~~~~~~
www.benaveryonline.com
The descent to Avernus is easy;
The gate of Pluto stands open night and day;
But to retrace one’s steps and return to the upper air,
That is the toil, that is the difficulty.
-Virgil
whisperingloon

Postby Maledicte » Mon Mar 17, 2008 1:25 pm

Cognitive Gear (post: 1207929) wrote:I had no idea that my distaste for the arbitrary separation of "manga" from "comics" could grow worse. Apparently it just did.

Not sure if you're commenting on my distinction or the publishers/general public's distinction of the two, but I'll go with the latter.
Maledicte

Postby Tsukuyomi » Mon Mar 17, 2008 1:47 pm

That cover needs better arts u_u/
Tsukuyomi

Location: I am a figment of your imagination... I live only in your dreams... I haunt you ~(O_O)~

Return to Manga and Manga Reviews