Rules & Theme - Updated Monthly!

This forum contains the rules, the themes, and the entries for the monthly manga contest

Rules & Theme - Updated Monthly!

Postby Ashley » Fri Jan 18, 2008 12:05 pm

Ok guys, here's how it works:

Each month members will have the chance to create a 3-10 page original manga based on a theme. All submissions will be placed in thsi forum. At the end of the deadline, users will have the chance to vote for their favorite, and the winner gets to decide the next month's theme! At the end of the year, we will compile the winners and hopefully get them published in an anthology!

April/May's* Theme: Hide and Seek
All entries must be submitted by May 23, 2008

Excited yet? Well before you take off, here's the rules:

- Entries must be 3-10 pages
- Entries must contain original characters (no fanfics/doujin)
- Entries must conform to CAA content guidelines (PM if unsure)
- Entries must be inked and toned/colored
- Artists must post their pages in this forum, with the title and an idea for next month's theme

If you have any questions, feel free to PM me!

*because March's contest ran long, the April contest and May contest are going to be combined in order to reset the time schedule with June. This may work out better for all our college-age artists anyway, who have a lot of finals right about now.
Ashley

Postby ChristianKitsune » Fri Jan 18, 2008 5:00 pm

O_O I want to try this...

*glares at busy school schedule*

I'll do my best to come up with something!! TT^TT
ImageImage
Stick Monkey Chronicles
Web-Manga Hosted by: The Project
ChristianKitsune

Location: In my sketchbook of wonderment and puffy pink clouds! *\^o^/*

Postby Esoteric » Sat Jan 19, 2008 2:18 pm

This is a very cool contest idea. Perhaps at some point in the future I will be able to participate. Sadly, this month I can't. *collapses under a load of projects*
Esoteric

Postby RidleyofZebes » Sat Jan 19, 2008 7:51 pm

Hmmm... I think I might enter this. Looks interesting enough. :)
~Ridley [color="Green"] ;)
[/color]
[font="Arial Black"][color="Red"]My [color="Red"]deviantART[/color][/color][/font] | [font="Arial Black"][color="Red"]My [color="Red"]YouTube[/color][/color][/font]
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
~~~[color="Yellow"]AKA: DarkwaterhHealer~~~[/color]
Even when lurking, I am with you in spirit...

Another Sane Sig brought to you by MOES.
RidleyofZebes

Postby Aileen Kailum » Thu Jan 24, 2008 10:07 pm

*.*

I have an idea...
Need some excitement and meaning to brighten your bleak existence? Enter the CAA Monthly Manga contest!
(Warning: side affects may/will include irritability, the cramping of hands, frustration, and/or loss of sleep.)

Close only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades
Aileen Kailum

Postby Mave » Sat Jan 26, 2008 3:12 am

Cool, I think I'll join in the fun. ^_^
Mave

Postby goldenspines » Sat Jan 26, 2008 9:24 am

Oh, this looks like a lot of fun. I might give it a shot if I have the time.
goldenspines

Postby Righteousss » Sun Jan 27, 2008 5:44 pm

man! I need to get a new scanner asap
Righteousss

Postby CephasWhite » Sun Jan 27, 2008 10:00 pm

Okay...what if someone was able to create a manga story...but is crap for manga art? Would that be okay?
Two Steps From Hell - Tristan <--(click)
†††††††††††††
We have been here long enough to know
That we are all brothers and sisters in Christ,
So if you are in need of help,
We shall give you His advice.

May God add his blessings upon you,
That you will live this day and forever,
And when He comes to the earth again,
We will all go together...

Into Heaven for Eternity...

[SIZE="5"][color="Green"]M[/color][color="Red"]E[/color][color="Green"]R[/color][color="Red"]R[/color][color="Green"]Y[/color] [color="Red"]C[/color][color="Green"]H[/color][color="Red"]R[/color][color="Green"]I[/color][color="Red"]S[/color][color="Green"]T[/color][color="Red"]M[/color][color="Green"]A[/color][color="Red"]S[/color][color="Green"]![/color][color="Red"]![/color][color="Green"]![/color][/SIZE]
CephasWhite

Postby chibiphonebooth » Sun Jan 27, 2008 10:01 pm

oh man this sounds like FUN!
ImageImageImage

[font="Impact"][SIZE="3"][color="SeaGreen"]"Savannah's signature: ruining serious since 2008"[/color][/SIZE][/font]

[font="Georgia"][color="Orange"][url=yourtoesaremissing.deviantart.com]Visit my DA X3[/url][/color][/font]
chibiphonebooth

Postby uc pseudonym » Mon Jan 28, 2008 2:07 pm

CephasWhite wrote:Okay...what if someone was able to create a manga story...but is crap for manga art? Would that be okay?

Fiction entries wouldn't be accepted, no. If you want to collaborate with an artist, however, you may well have some luck doing that. This forum would probably be a good place to make a thread asking.
uc pseudonym

Postby firestorm » Tue Feb 05, 2008 7:33 am

what if it's like a little more than 10 pages like 11 or 12?
Come check my facebook fan page here If you want to see some great photography and art!

I am currently on my 4th draft of the script for Canvas! Canvas is a watercolor animated short about how everything declares of a Creator and how everything happens for a reason. If anyone would like to help by sending me resources on watercolor or animation it would be greatly appreciated!

I am also on my 1st draft of a short live-action Romcom called "Behind Every Good Man! Behind Every Good Man is about a Bride-to-be, Evelyn, who must stop her Mother-in-Law, Pamela, from living her dream wedding through Evelyn's. Along the way she learns what it means to be a Woman of Integrity today! If anyone wants to help let me know!

Location: Lovin the Miami Heat. And I ain't talking about the basketball team :3

Postby Ashley » Tue Feb 05, 2008 1:50 pm

what if it's like a little more than 10 pages like 11 or 12?

Well, we originally created that page count to give artists a feasible amount of work to complete--basically, to let people know we weren't expecting a full-blown volume of work here. But I suppose if you can pull it off, more power to ya.
Ashley

Postby CephasWhite » Wed Feb 06, 2008 12:33 am

uc pseudonym (post: 1195419) wrote:Fiction entries wouldn't be accepted, no. If you want to collaborate with an artist, however, you may well have some luck doing that. This forum would probably be a good place to make a thread asking.

Okay. I might just have to do that. :)
Two Steps From Hell - Tristan <--(click)
†††††††††††††
We have been here long enough to know
That we are all brothers and sisters in Christ,
So if you are in need of help,
We shall give you His advice.

May God add his blessings upon you,
That you will live this day and forever,
And when He comes to the earth again,
We will all go together...

Into Heaven for Eternity...

[SIZE="5"][color="Green"]M[/color][color="Red"]E[/color][color="Green"]R[/color][color="Red"]R[/color][color="Green"]Y[/color] [color="Red"]C[/color][color="Green"]H[/color][color="Red"]R[/color][color="Green"]I[/color][color="Red"]S[/color][color="Green"]T[/color][color="Red"]M[/color][color="Green"]A[/color][color="Red"]S[/color][color="Green"]![/color][color="Red"]![/color][color="Green"]![/color][/SIZE]
CephasWhite

Postby ChristianKitsune » Sat Feb 09, 2008 8:27 pm

ooh I has question?

one of the rules says "Arists must post their entries here and the an idea for next month." Soo... does that mean we do that BEFORE we win? Like all of us do that?
Or what...XD
ImageImage
Stick Monkey Chronicles
ChristianKitsune

Postby Esoteric » Sun Feb 10, 2008 6:44 pm

In addition to Kitchan's question, how are we to post our entries in the thread? As a Link? As a file containing all the pages glued in order? As a series of separate page files? What is preferred?
Esoteric

Postby Ashley » Mon Feb 11, 2008 9:09 am

"Arists must post their entries here and the an idea for next month." Soo... does that mean we do that BEFORE we win? Like all of us do that?

Yes; that means when you post your comic (which I will get to in just a moment), in the same post put something like, "and my idea for next month is ___"--this way, when the week of voting is over we can instantly go into the next theme without having to contact the winner and wait for them to think up something (believe me, years of contest running has made it abundantly clear winning artists just do NOT want to answer their PMs).

how are we to post our entries in the thread? As a Link? As a file containing all the pages glued in order? As a series of separate page files? What is preferred?

Good question, and I apologize for not making it clearer. When you are ready to post your comic, make a new thread in this forum. The first post should have the title of the work and the artist's name, and an attachment of the first page (if it is too big to attach, linking to photobucket,etc. is acceptable). Make a reply to the first post with the second page, another with the third, etc. until all the pages are posted. (If you're linking to an outside source, have seperate links clearly labeled as page 1, page 2, etc.)

When we're ready to start another round, all the entry threads will be deleted and everyone starts over! Does that make sense?

Also, if anyone has another idea on how to post I'm willing to hear it. =)
Ashley

Postby ChristianKitsune » Mon Feb 11, 2008 8:40 pm

can we have an archive of those who have entered, so even if they don't win, we can still read the past entries?

like make a thread for "February Entries" and so on?

Tahnks for answering our questions!

Now I gotta get cracking on this!
ImageImage
Stick Monkey Chronicles
ChristianKitsune

Postby Ashley » Tue Feb 12, 2008 10:22 am

can we have an archive of those who have entered, so even if they don't win, we can still read the past entries?

like make a thread for "February Entries" and so on?

Well, I'm not sure how that would work (I've never had to merge multiple threads into one massive one; things might get messy) but I can certainly give it a try. The main issue was making sure that no entry accidentally got missed or entered into the wrong month's contest because of forum clutter.
Ashley

Postby uc pseudonym » Tue Feb 12, 2008 2:02 pm

I think it would be a good idea to have an entry archive, but I agree that we need to avoid any errors due to clutter. We could create a "Monthly Manga Contest Archives" forum, or we could require every entry to begin with the month (ie "February: My Entry").
uc pseudonym

Postby Ashley » Tue Mar 04, 2008 11:05 am

The new theme and deadline for March have been added to the first post.
Ashley

Postby bakura_fan » Wed Mar 05, 2008 5:10 pm

cool I have an idea for this(march) however, not sure how long it will be, or if i'll even get it on the computer (lack of scanner sucks.) I'll draw it all out and hope I can get it scanned by then.
:angel:

[color=DeepSkyBlue] "He lives in you. He lives in me. [/color]He watches over everything we see.
Into the water. Into the truth. [color=Yellow][color=DeepSkyBlue]In your reflection, He lives in you." - He lives in you chorus[/color][/color]
"Slow, love, slow. Time's so fast. Now goes quickly, see Now it's past!
Soon will come, Soon will last. Wait." [color=Yellow]- Wait (sweeney todd) [/color]

[align=center]My art page.

[align=center]Married to swordguy
:hug:

[/align]
[/align]
bakura_fan

Postby bakura_fan » Mon Mar 24, 2008 9:07 pm

Edit: Well, looks like I won't get it up here...still no scanner...and have some unfinished pages too. Oh well. :) I thank you though for getting me into drawing comics again (which I had given up before do to my poor artwork). Maybe some other time. (I'll try and post my comic here *like in the gallery or something* or on DA with a link or something when it's done and scanned.)
:angel:

[color=DeepSkyBlue] "He lives in you. He lives in me. [/color]He watches over everything we see.
Into the water. Into the truth. [color=Yellow][color=DeepSkyBlue]In your reflection, He lives in you." - He lives in you chorus[/color][/color]
"Slow, love, slow. Time's so fast. Now goes quickly, see Now it's past!
Soon will come, Soon will last. Wait." [color=Yellow]- Wait (sweeney todd) [/color]

[align=center]My art page.

[align=center]Married to swordguy
:hug:

[/align]
[/align]
bakura_fan

Postby Mave » Fri Mar 28, 2008 3:18 am

May I request an extension? Maybe a bi-monthly is more in order, I don't know. I already have an idea but I really wasn't able to execute anything due to my lousy busy schedule. <.<;;;;
Mave

Postby Ashley » Fri Mar 28, 2008 11:41 am

Well considering we have zero entries for this month, perhaps an extension is in order...maybe we can make it a March/April entry....=___=;;
Ashley

Postby ChristianKitsune » Fri Mar 28, 2008 9:36 pm

Ahh!! 8D

REally?!!

Because I JUST got an idea and I think I can push myself hard enough to finish it! Seriously, it just hit me like 5 minutes ago! (XD I love coffee)

(it might not be toned or anything but I can at least do some lineart! 83)

(although I'm going to try REALLY hard to get it toned XD)

April is a busy month for me, I got a giant essay due at the end of the month, finals to study for during the first of May.... Gaahh..

but if you extend the deadline...wow...that would be a huge help.

if not though, I understand.

but I really want to do this!!!!

*runs to get started on it*
ImageImage
Stick Monkey Chronicles
ChristianKitsune

Postby c.t.,girl » Fri Mar 28, 2008 9:42 pm

D: i'll join! i got a few ideas! XD; but an extention would be nice. >_>;; i JUST found out about this. @_@;;
[color="DarkOrange"]"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things... hey... the good things don't always soften the bad things; but vice-versa the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things and make them unimportant." -11th Doctor

"The advice I like to give young artists, or really anybody who’ll listen to me, is not to wait around for inspiration. Inspiration is for amateurs; the rest of us just show up and get to work. If you wait around for the clouds to part and a bolt of lightning to strike you in the brain, you are not going to make an awful lot of work. All the best ideas come out of the process; they come out of the work itself. Things occur to you. If you’re sitting around trying to dream up a great art idea, you can sit there a long time before anything happens. But if you just get to work, something will occur to you and something else will occur to you and something else that you reject will push you in another direction. Inspiration is absolutely unnecessary and somehow deceptive. You feel like you need this great idea before you can get down to work, and I find that’s almost never the case." - Chuck Close[/color]
c.t.,girl

Postby Noblewreck » Sat Mar 29, 2008 1:07 pm

[color="Lime"]An extention does sound nice. I have two more pages for my March entry to add. page four is done but I would like to proof it more.[/color]
Noblewreck

Postby ChristianKitsune » Sat Mar 29, 2008 3:50 pm

O_O Okay

so I was up ALL night... sketched out 7 pages of comic

then I woke up at 2 pm and I just finished inking 7 pages of it @_@

I could conceivebably have it finished very soon XD
ImageImage
Stick Monkey Chronicles
ChristianKitsune

Postby Aileen Kailum » Sun Mar 30, 2008 2:16 pm

So... is there an extension?
Need some excitement and meaning to brighten your bleak existence? Enter the CAA Monthly Manga contest!
(Warning: side affects may/will include irritability, the cramping of hands, frustration, and/or loss of sleep.)

Close only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades
Aileen Kailum

Next

Return to Monthly Manga Contest