Younger members, please read

Talk about anything in here.

Postby animewarrior » Tue Dec 25, 2007 4:55 pm

wow.. that's kinda scary... well I know it twasn't me but just to be safe I did change my location... its easy to track ppl down... and ty whoever it was that posted this... (can't remember sorry)
~ The fainter the heartbeat the stronger the soul~

*They're just an incomplete group of people wishing to be whole; and to that end, they're desperately searching for something.* - Namine (Kingdom Hearts 2)
animewarrior

Postby kat-su-chan » Fri Dec 28, 2007 9:30 pm

Tracking down is so not cool...this whole internet and privacy thing is actually a big deal. For example...one day my friend was over, we went and got the mail and there was a parcel addressed to me from ITALY (now i dont use chat rooms or anything, so i only talk to people I know on msn too, and had definately never talked to ANYONE from italy) which had a necklace, and a love letter inside it from a man I do not know whatsoever....
:| we moved shortly after that.
But just a warning...it seriously happens...Thank goodness all this guy wanted was to send me a letter....
kat-su-chan

Postby Mist » Sun Jan 27, 2008 12:52 am

This is why I put down "Nowheresville" for my location. That's all anyone needs to know. I'm afraid that I'm not careful enough in other areas, though. I've had to put my full name out there for copyright reasons(my artwork), so I worry sometimes.

-Mist
Mist

Postby Righteousss » Sun Jan 27, 2008 12:13 pm

Luckily for me it's common sense. Just recently in my hometown, my math teacher's daughter was at home alone and some whacko tried to break in but she called the cops and he was thrown in the slammer. She confessed to giving out personal information on myspace and chatting with random guys. o_ O theres a lot of sick people in this world we live in
Righteousss

Postby steeve » Mon Feb 04, 2008 7:48 am

what if nobody showed thier age? (and thus no one could be marked as vulnerable)

just thinkin out loud :0
and i really do live in moridor. it's gorgious.:D
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
"The prophet who has a dream, let him tell a dream; And he who has My word, let him speak My word faithfully. What is the chaff to the wheat?" says the Lord. "Is not my word like a fire?" says the Lord, "And like a hammer that breaks the rock to pieces?"
~Jeremiah 23:28, 29

What will people think when they hear that I'm a Jesus freak?/ What will people do when they find that it's true?/ I don't really care if they label me a Jesus freak/ There ain't no disguising the truth
~DCT, "Jesus Freak"[color="Red"][/color]
steeve

Location: my sensei says i live in moridor; and he's always right so... there it is then

Postby Angel Tifa » Fri Feb 15, 2008 10:11 pm

*shivers* That actually does sound scary. Nate is right though, this should also apply to adults as well.

You're never really too old to get kidnapped or stalked. It happens all the time in this scary world. I'm glad I just have it listed as "Southern California" and not the city. Is that okay?
Angel Tifa

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Fri Feb 15, 2008 10:27 pm

Angel Tifa (post: 1199896) wrote:*shivers* That actually does sound scary. Nate is right though, this should also apply to adults as well.

You're never really too old to get kidnapped or stalked. It happens all the time in this scary world. I'm glad I just have it listed as "Southern California" and not the city. Is that okay?

There are millions of girls your age in Southern California.

I highly doubt you'll be found. XD
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby Fish and Chips » Sat Feb 16, 2008 1:54 am

Mr. SmartyPants (post: 1199910) wrote:There are millions of girls your age in Southern California.

I highly doubt you'll be found. XD

Yeah, this again. I'm done, sorry.
Fish and Chips

Postby Azier the Swordsman » Sat Feb 16, 2008 10:01 am

Once again, Sir Fish, you have made my day with that post.
Azier the Swordsman

Postby RubyJewelStone » Wed Feb 27, 2008 2:47 pm

Fish and Chips (post: 1199937) wrote:Image
Yeah, this again. I'm done, sorry.

Oh, I'm sooo printing that out and sticking it on someone's window! Lol!
I believe in the sun even if it isn't shining. I believe in love even when I am alone. I believe in God even when he is silent.
~Author Unknown
RubyJewelStone

Postby Sae-chan » Thu Apr 03, 2008 2:35 pm

I never post where I live, and I'm always very careful on what I give out. Maybe I'm paranoid, but I guess it's better to be paranoid than to be in danger. The internet is like fire; it is incredibly useful, but also very dangerous. It just depends on how you use it.

There are so many stories about people being tracked and kidnapped, killed, etc. It's kind of scary... That's why I don't have a MySpace or FaceBook profile. There's too much personal information that goes on there. Photos, age, home city, email, telephone number. Someone can do a lot with that info. ^^;

Like I said, better paranoid than in danger. ;)
Sae-chan

Good observation!

Postby Paul » Sat Jul 12, 2008 5:19 am

Hey, I read this thread and decided to do my own looking like some suggested.

Luckily for me there's alot in my neighborhood and my name is common enough I had a hard time finding stuff out. But I did find a loose piece of info which I intend to take care of.

I changed my demographics in my profile to make things a little tougher to discover.

Good observations guys!

Paul
Paul

Postby RFC » Sun Sep 07, 2008 11:54 pm

That's why I am extremely vague when I input my location. There is only one forum where I narrow it down to my state. People call me paranoid, but I think I'm just really cautious.
Anyway, thanks for posting this Nate! It really is amazing how many people are specific in their locations in forums (and other places on the web). Besides, it's WAY more fun to just make up something silly!
[color="Plum"]Jesus Freak Forever!![/color]
Proud creator of the Fakir Girls! (To visit our forum: click on the banner)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[color="Pink"]@)[/color][color="SeaGreen"]}~`,~[/color] [color="Plum"]Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks, To All The CAA Moderators[/color]
"MOES:You gotta know when to hold it, know when you've scrolled it."
[color="PaleGreen"]Con List: Anime L.A. 2008, Saboten Con 2009, Con-Nichiwa 2010[/color]
RFC

Postby Robin Firedrake » Mon Nov 03, 2008 10:04 am

I never have and never will reveal my location. But this is helpful to know anyway!
Robin Firedrake

Postby Lady Kenshin » Sun Nov 16, 2008 2:02 pm

This is why I never put any true information about myself on the Internet.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

It's okay to be a fanfiction author... http://www.fanfiction.net/~loveslabourswon
Lady Kenshin

Postby Lilac#18 » Sun Dec 07, 2008 2:02 pm

I never put my personal information anyway. This is especially good for teenagers under 15 to know.
FKA Selenite
B careful of bad habits u form when ur single. In most cases u'll carry them over into ur marriage! - Damita Haddon

"Apparently, it takes more than just the sword." - Mirai (Future) Trunks

24When you lie down, you shall not be afraid; yes, you shall lie down, and your sleep shall be sweet. Proverbs 3:24 AMP

@)}~`,~ Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks, To All The CAA Moderators.

Lilac#18

Postby silent-wings » Sat Dec 27, 2008 8:46 pm

Mave (post: 1108779) wrote:This certainly encourages us not to make enemies online as well. It's not like I want someone who hates my guts to track me down right at my own doorstep. You know what I mean?

This is what I fear most honestly or something like…]There are so many stories about people being tracked and kidnapped, killed, etc. It's kind of scary... That's why I don't have a MySpace or FaceBook profile.[/QUOTE]

More people need to know about Internet safety. I need to be more cautious myself since I know there is a piece of my info that's on the internet and never coming down until the site dies. =P Also I avoid friending my real friends online since they expose way too much info. (Deviantart is a bit of a problem too, for personal info. That's why I haven't made an account there yet). Someone mentioned IP addresses. BEWARE OF POSTING IN SHOUTBOXES!! Depending on what type it is, it can show your ENTIRE IP address to ANYONE who looks at it (meaning not only the mods). That means someone can pop up some tracking software, stick it in, search and pin point you to (as someone said) a few 1000 ft. Seriously scary stuff… =(

Some guidelines to abide to for internet safety are:
-when creating usernames, don't reuse the same one more than once
-don't use the same logo more than once unless you have a totally different username with it b/c ppl can have the same logos
-don't post your age/birthday (I mean to the yr too!)
-don't post your location (even a US state is iffy)
-don't post your name, full or not, (I found a girl once by her first name and initial of her last name. It took like 3 hrs tho. DX)
-don't copy and paste forum posts to other forums
-rename images posted, if posted in other places
-look over the site and read the about/info/rules carefully
-use a fake cover name like Jane Doe or John Doe (this is my fav method of safety :))
-make a secondary email (with a fake name) for junk mail (full names can be shown thru emails.)

I think I covered most of it. =/ I only give the bare minimum out (true or not), but hey you know ½ the stuff on the internet isn't true, so as far as I know everyone could be lying. D=

Thanks for the post. I'll be watching. =)

P.S. Nate if possible, can you make an edit to the first post and put some internet safely guidelines, please? (=| You can edit my list if you want; it's up to you. =)
silent-wings

Postby DragoonKnight » Sat Jan 10, 2009 12:44 pm

Obviously, I wouldn't want to reveal my town. Very few people live here.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Your friendly neighborhood Dragoon Knight!
DragoonKnight

Postby Maokun » Thu Apr 23, 2009 10:50 pm

Sweet. Exactly what my paranoia needed :D Anyway, great points, this information is really important and probably should be stickied or put in the board's guidelines.
Maokun

Postby Changing Myst » Tue Jun 09, 2009 4:45 pm

Read Nate's post and I stared. I always knew my dad has been right all along when it came to this kind of stuff, but now it's been put in a closer perspective. It's scary.
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]Even if you don't believe in God, He still believes in you.[/color]

For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord. Romans 8:38.

If Twilight was like Romeo and Juliet, they would have died a horrible and painful death. And I would have laughed. Hard. :lol:
Changing Myst

Postby shooraijin » Tue Jun 09, 2009 7:45 pm

I'm going to lock this thread, not because it's bad (it's not), but it's already stickied and I think the lead post needs to be emphasized instead of the replies.
"you're a doctor.... and 27 years.... so...doctor + 27 years = HATORI SOHMA" - RoyalWing, when I was 27
"Al hail the forum editting Shooby! His vibes are law!" - Osaka-chan

I could still be champ, but I'd feel bad taking it away from one of the younger guys. - George Foreman
shooraijin

Previous

Return to General