The Great CAA Manga Challenge!

Projects or project ideas in the works

The Great CAA Manga Challenge!

Postby ChristianKitsune » Wed May 23, 2007 1:05 am

Hey everyone your friendly Neighborhood ChristianKitsune here!!

I have a challenge for everyone!! For some of us it's already or almost summer, and for others...it's still summer but with work....

So I thought of a cool little challenge for all those CAA members who aspire to become Comic Artists for God! ^_^

Sooo how about we start a small group that will keep each other encouraged and energized about each other's projects? Like Comic Artist Accountablilty partners? I know that I would love to have some people jump start me, and tell me to keep going.

Because those of us who want to become comic artists are gonna face LOTS of deadlines...so it would be really beneficial to start now right? Get a little practice?

I am not asking for hefty assignments or anything...maybe a starting goal of 1-2 pages finished a week (but you can go over) and I am talking finished, not sketched but at least ready to be toned... or shaded..

Maybe even the more experienced Artists can give advice to the younger ones?

So...are you guys with me? Does it sound like a plan?
ImageImage
Stick Monkey Chronicles
Web-Manga Hosted by: The Project
ChristianKitsune

Location: In my sketchbook of wonderment and puffy pink clouds! *\^o^/*

Postby c.t.,girl » Wed May 23, 2007 1:32 am

:U yus!
[color="DarkOrange"]"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things... hey... the good things don't always soften the bad things; but vice-versa the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things and make them unimportant." -11th Doctor

"The advice I like to give young artists, or really anybody who’ll listen to me, is not to wait around for inspiration. Inspiration is for amateurs; the rest of us just show up and get to work. If you wait around for the clouds to part and a bolt of lightning to strike you in the brain, you are not going to make an awful lot of work. All the best ideas come out of the process; they come out of the work itself. Things occur to you. If you’re sitting around trying to dream up a great art idea, you can sit there a long time before anything happens. But if you just get to work, something will occur to you and something else will occur to you and something else that you reject will push you in another direction. Inspiration is absolutely unnecessary and somehow deceptive. You feel like you need this great idea before you can get down to work, and I find that’s almost never the case." - Chuck Close[/color]
c.t.,girl

Postby Esoteric » Thu May 24, 2007 7:35 pm

I'm not working on a manga, but if you need someone to bug you about deadlines, I'm good at bugging people. :evil: If you want me to, let me know.
Esoteric

Postby c.t.,girl » Thu May 24, 2007 9:24 pm

<___< i'm always in need of motivation and what not...*A* zomg...~faint~
[color="DarkOrange"]"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things... hey... the good things don't always soften the bad things; but vice-versa the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things and make them unimportant." -11th Doctor

"The advice I like to give young artists, or really anybody who’ll listen to me, is not to wait around for inspiration. Inspiration is for amateurs; the rest of us just show up and get to work. If you wait around for the clouds to part and a bolt of lightning to strike you in the brain, you are not going to make an awful lot of work. All the best ideas come out of the process; they come out of the work itself. Things occur to you. If you’re sitting around trying to dream up a great art idea, you can sit there a long time before anything happens. But if you just get to work, something will occur to you and something else will occur to you and something else that you reject will push you in another direction. Inspiration is absolutely unnecessary and somehow deceptive. You feel like you need this great idea before you can get down to work, and I find that’s almost never the case." - Chuck Close[/color]
c.t.,girl

Postby Aileen Kailum » Sun May 27, 2007 5:16 pm

This sounds cool. I'm in.
Need some excitement and meaning to brighten your bleak existence? Enter the CAA Monthly Manga contest!
(Warning: side affects may/will include irritability, the cramping of hands, frustration, and/or loss of sleep.)

Close only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades
Aileen Kailum

Postby Puguni » Mon Jun 04, 2007 1:19 pm

I have this idea for a Christian manga that I'm tossing around and some butt kicking would be useful. :J
Puguni

Location: In a place where I can wonder why good grammar doesn't apply on the internet.

Postby mechana2015 » Mon Jun 04, 2007 1:28 pm

Does it have to be a blatantly christian manga?

My Deviantart
"MOES. I can has Sane Sig now?"
mechana2015

Postby SolidÃ…rmor » Sun Jun 10, 2007 11:30 pm

I kept thinking of possibly coming up with a manga that took a futuristic sci-fi spin of biblical events where the characters involved are the ancestors of prophets and will be lead on an adventure through out the galaxy, but will also bring about the final days of man.

It's a rough thought, but it seemed to be a cool idea.
Bless me indeed
Open wide my horizons to share your name
Bless me indeed
Let your hand keep me
from harm and pain
Bless me
Bless me
SolidÃ…rmor

Postby Mave » Mon Jun 11, 2007 12:55 am

Maybe even the more experienced Artists can give advice to the younger ones?

All I can say is you need to take the comic-making seriously. If you have a self-imposed deadline, you've got to make it or do your best to make it. No half-heartedness here, please.

mechana2015 wrote:Does it have to be a blatantly christian manga?

I think the answer is no.
Mave

Postby ChristianKitsune » Mon Jun 11, 2007 9:46 am

I am starting my comic TODAY. I hope to have at least 2 or 3 pages done by FRIDAY It woudl be awesome If I got more than that :B

Does anyone know of a good site for hosting comic pages? O_O I have heard of one site called Drunk Duck...but I don't know if i want to upload my stuff there..the site isn't something I want to associate my comics with.. ^^;
ImageImage
Stick Monkey Chronicles
ChristianKitsune

Postby mechana2015 » Mon Jun 11, 2007 5:58 pm

I've started penciling pages, at pace, so I have 6 online, 3 penciled and about 200 planned...

My Deviantart
mechana2015

Postby Aileen Kailum » Fri Jun 15, 2007 9:50 am

Well... I was kind of out of town when this started (mission trip,) but I have some pages already penciled out, so I may just redraw those. First deadline is this Saturday?

What should we do with finished pages--assuming I ever get that far? Post them in this thread?
Need some excitement and meaning to brighten your bleak existence? Enter the CAA Monthly Manga contest!
(Warning: side affects may/will include irritability, the cramping of hands, frustration, and/or loss of sleep.)

Aileen Kailum

Postby mechana2015 » Fri Jun 15, 2007 12:14 pm

Unpayed job opening: Someone to remind me to work on the comic. I get lazy after a few pages and stop progress. Job requirements are to posess my YIM or AIM or Skype or notice my , and, if I am online, see if I am working on the comic or have a good reason not to be.

My Deviantart
mechana2015

Postby ChristianKitsune » Fri Jun 15, 2007 12:15 pm

WELL DONE, Mechana!! :3 Don't worry I will kick you if I have to! :3

Aileen you can post them here if you want to. I am not entirely sure...

There are a few places you could consider for your comic: DeviantArt is one place, but I am a little leary about putting my own comic there... DrunkDuck is another place, but I have heard that it's not as reliable, plus with a name like that...I didn't want my comic assicated with it...

Do you have your own website that can handle the bandwidth?

We set our own deadlines here...if you would like them to be inked by Saturday, that's fine.

I have met my goal, and I am going a little farther with it. I hope to have pages 5 and 6 done by sunday!

I may need a break though, to draw some illustrations. I can't forget taht I have a convention to get ready for! :3 But SMC is sooo fun!!
ImageImage
Stick Monkey Chronicles
ChristianKitsune

Postby Aileen Kailum » Mon Jun 25, 2007 11:34 pm

So, after a little over a week of procrastination, I've finally drawn out some pages. Two are completed--well, I need to scan them and touch them up in MSPaint--and two are still rough drafts.

My goal right now is to have two completed pages every two days. (I'm drawing and shading it all by hand, so it's really not that hard.)

And I do have a DA account, CK, so I'll either post the comic there or in here.

Aileen Kailum

Postby ChristianKitsune » Tue Jun 26, 2007 12:39 am

Not sure if i will get to SMC this week, I have panels sketched out...but we had a small tragedy in my family this week...I will do what I can, though..

next week I am going on vacation, but I will definately sketch out some pages then...
ImageImage
Stick Monkey Chronicles
ChristianKitsune

Postby Aileen Kailum » Tue Jun 26, 2007 11:52 am

Well, here are my first two completed pages. The goal is to have two more completed by tomorrow. As of now, the comic has no name. It also doesn't make much sense yet. But I'm working on it. Read from right to left.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Aileen Kailum

Postby ChristianKitsune » Thu Jun 28, 2007 11:44 pm

I am going to write at least 4-5 pages of SMC while I am on vacation. I will not be able to tone them until I get back though.. ^^; I don't have a computer in Texas where my grandparents live...

Aileen, What a CUTE START!! I love it! Keep it up.
ImageImage
Stick Monkey Chronicles
ChristianKitsune

Postby Aileen Kailum » Thu Jul 12, 2007 7:41 am

Thanks CK!

Well, after an extreme amount of procrastination, I've finally got more pages. \o.o/

Edit: and for some reason, they're out of order... Oh well. Please read pages from right to left.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Aileen Kailum

Postby Sanctum Angel » Mon Jul 16, 2007 6:32 am

I'll join, I got to do 3 diffrent mangas and 1 comic strip. Yous guys can annoy the world out of me to get them done, since i procrastinate like a beast. Plus i can bother you guys alittle to work on your comics. ^_^ you can pm me or use my aim Kashi111
Sanctum Angel

Postby ChristianKitsune » Tue Jul 17, 2007 2:05 pm

OK! ^_^ Welcom aboard!

Nice pages, aileen! I suggest you post these in the Webmanga forum! :3

SMC will HOPEFULLY be updated this week, I need to sketch out the next few pages still, (Getting stuff ready for the con, including sculptures, fanart (bleh), original art and other fun thangs! ^_^)

I will TRY to get 2-3 pages done again.
ImageImage
Stick Monkey Chronicles
ChristianKitsune

Postby ChristianKitsune » Fri Jul 20, 2007 9:00 pm

Didn't exactly meet my deadline full on, everyone Wanted it to be done TODAY but...things came up, I am however, working on them!! so they will be done by Sunday!
ImageImage
Stick Monkey Chronicles
ChristianKitsune

Postby Aileen Kailum » Mon Jul 23, 2007 10:28 pm

I liked the update for SMC, CK. Now I'm wondering what will happen next...

I've scripted out the rest of chapter 1 for my comic... now I just need to make myself draw it out. I think I'll post it in the webmanga forum when I finish the chapter. Only... X number of pages left! \o.o/

Aileen Kailum

Postby Sanctum Angel » Fri Jul 27, 2007 11:50 pm

I finished two pages of my manga (I don't have a working scanner so I can't show you guys sorry.) I still have yet to start my other comic though.
Sanctum Angel

Postby ChristianKitsune » Sat Jul 28, 2007 3:35 am

Aileen Kailum wrote:I liked the update for SMC, CK. Now I'm wondering what will happen next...

I've scripted out the rest of chapter 1 for my comic... now I just need to make myself draw it out. I think I'll post it in the webmanga forum when I finish the chapter. Only... X number of pages left! \o.o/

Thank you, Aileen ^_^ I will try to sketch more pages this week... but I am going camping, so we will have to see how much I can get done. XD

Yay! I can't wait till you put them on!
ImageImage
Stick Monkey Chronicles
ChristianKitsune

Return to New Projects and Ideas