Japanese Teen Arrested For Stealing Used Manga

Post about anime's sister, manga in here. Manga reviews accepted in here as well.

Japanese Teen Arrested For Stealing Used Manga

Postby mitsuki lover » Sat Apr 28, 2007 11:10 am

Theotaku.com reported that a Japanese teenaged boy was recently arrested after he tried to steal $50 worth of used manga.In the process he stabbed the store's security officer who was chasing him.
The question here is,is $50 worth of used manga(and remember it was USED) really worth the price of jail time?
mitsuki lover

Postby Cognitive Gear » Sat Apr 28, 2007 11:29 am

mitsuki lover wrote:Theotaku.com reported that a Japanese teenaged boy was recently arrested after he tried to steal $50 worth of used manga.In the process he stabbed the store's security officer who was chasing him.
The question here is,is $50 worth of used manga(and remember it was USED) really worth the price of jail time?

Well, that's the thing about stealing. You don't plan on getting caught. The real question is, is any amount of money worth potentially ruining the rest of your life?
[font="Tahoma"][SIZE="2"]"It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things."

-Terry Pratchett[/SIZE][/font]
Cognitive Gear

Postby Tenshi no Ai » Sat Apr 28, 2007 11:36 am

ikimasu wrote:Well, that's the thing about stealing. You don't plan on getting caught. The real question is, is any amount of money worth potentially ruining the rest of your life?

Exactly. I hear theft happening at work every day, even on the simplest items you can get at a second hand store for like, 10 cents, like a single pair of socks from a package. It happens. Although I'm surprised this guy used a weapon...
神 は、 その 独り 子 を お与え に なった ほど に 世 お愛 された。
独り 子 を 信じる 者 が 一人 も滅 ひない で, 永遠 の 命 お得る ため で ある。

ヨハネ 3:16
Tenshi no Ai

Postby Reba » Sat Apr 28, 2007 12:12 pm

mitsuki lover wrote:Theotaku.com reported that a Japanese teenaged boy was recently arrested after he tried to steal $50 worth of used manga.In the process he stabbed the store's security officer who was chasing him.

Well, Even if its used he should still get introuble I don't know about Jail time though.., I also tend to look at it this way, If a kid had a favorite eraser and he used it, one of his friends came up and took it because they liked it too, In that case though, They would just give it back, In the bible it talked about repaying "Seven Fold" Of what you took, He defiantly needs some Jail time for the assault of the police officer, For the Manga, I don't really know. So there's my two cents XD

[SIZE="1"]A blue, black shade of love.

Sent from above.

[align=center]My hands are tied to worlds
alone,
And this I know.
Your breath's like wine,
And just like clouds, my skin crawls.
It's so divine, the sky it glows with fields of light.
Did you know that I love you?
Come and lay with me.
I love you.
And all this day, I will love you.
You make me feel alive,
and I'll love you
Until the end of time.[/SIZE][/align]
Reba

Postby Radical Dreamer » Sat Apr 28, 2007 1:22 pm

...I don't think it's about the $50 of merchandise he stole. It's about the principle of the matter (stealing is bad) and the fact that he stabbed the security guy. Besides, it shouldn't matter whether or not the manga was used. That's $50 that belongs to the store, and he stole it and stabbed a guy in the process. So yeah, as far as I'm concerned, it's well worth the jail time.

EDIT: Hahaaa, I misread. I figured it was about whether or not he should have gone to jail for what he did. But was what he did worth the punishment he received? In other words, did he gain anything from what he did? No, it wasn't, and I really doubt he did.

:forehead:
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]4 8 15 16 23[/color] 42
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]
[color="Orange"]WELCOME TO MOES[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby jon_jinn » Sat Apr 28, 2007 1:37 pm

what an idiot. who the heck would go to the extreme of stealing 50$ of manga. and when he's caught, he'd stab someone in order to get away! that was pretty darn stupid...
[SIZE="4"]*FASTING FROM CAA (9/25/08 - ???)*[/SIZE]

[SIZE="1"]
"Sometimes we don't present the Gospel well enough for the non-elect to reject it."
- John MacArthur

"In the total expanse of the human life, there is not a single square inch of which Christ, who alone is sovereign, does not declare, 'That is mine'."
- Abraham Kuyper

"God the great Creator of all things doth uphold, direct, dispose, and govern all creatures, actions, and things, from the greatest even to the least, by His most wise and holy providence, according to His infallible foreknowledge and the free and immutable counsel of His own will, to the praise of the glory of His wisdom, power, justice, goodness, and mercy."
- Westminister Confession of Faith (Chapter 5, Section 1)

"The wisdom of God has found a way for the love of God to deliver sinners from the wrath of God all the while upholding the righteousness of God!!"
- John Piper

"Grace is the pleasure of God to magnify the worth of God by giving sinners the right and power to delight in God without obscuring the glory of God!"
-John Piper

"The very One from Whom we need to be saved, is the One Who has saved us."
- R.C. Sproul

"All of Christian life is ceaseless worship of God the Father, through the mediatorship of God the Son, by the indwelling power of God the Spirit, doing what God commands in Scripture, not doing what God forbids in Scripture, in culturally contextualized ways, for the furtherance of the Gospel, when both gathered for adoration, and scattered for action, in joyous response to God's glorious grace."
- Mark Driscoll

"Believers do not pray with the view of informing God about things unknown to Him, or of exciting Him to do His duty, or of urging Him as though He were reluctant. On the contrary, they pray in order that they may arouse themselves to seek Him, that they may exercise their faith in meditating on His promises, that they may relieve themselves from their anxieties by pouring them into His bosom; in a word, that they may declare that from Him alone they hope and expect, both for themselves and for others, all good things."
- Martin Luther

"I have to tell you first that I am ready to die. I have put my affairs in order. Your supreme weapon is killing. My supreme weapon is dying, because when you kill me, people all over Romania will read my books and believe on the God that I preach - even more than they do now."
- Dr. Joseph Ton, the exiled Romanian pastor (quoted by James Montgomery Boice)

"The best prayer I ever prayed had enough sin in it to condemn the whole world."
- John Bunyan

"If the Christian has lost sight of Calvary, that shows that he has lost his way."
- J.I. Packer[/SIZE]
jon_jinn

Postby KBMaster » Sat Apr 28, 2007 1:47 pm

Even if it was stupid, the stabbing could have been done in a state of panic, let's not forget.
KBMaster

Postby ShiroiHikari » Sat Apr 28, 2007 2:35 pm

Of course he deserves to be punished for stealing. Stealing is wrong whether it's one dollar or five hundred thousand dollars. Not to mention he assaulted somebody in the process.
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby jon_jinn » Sat Apr 28, 2007 2:58 pm

KBMaster wrote:Even if it was stupid, the stabbing could have been done in a state of panic, let's not forget.

yeah that's true. but why did the guy have a knife on him in the first place? he could've simply been planning to use the knife if he got caught.
[SIZE="4"]*FASTING FROM CAA (9/25/08 - ???)*[/SIZE]

[SIZE="1"]
"Sometimes we don't present the Gospel well enough for the non-elect to reject it."
- John MacArthur

"In the total expanse of the human life, there is not a single square inch of which Christ, who alone is sovereign, does not declare, 'That is mine'."
- Abraham Kuyper

"God the great Creator of all things doth uphold, direct, dispose, and govern all creatures, actions, and things, from the greatest even to the least, by His most wise and holy providence, according to His infallible foreknowledge and the free and immutable counsel of His own will, to the praise of the glory of His wisdom, power, justice, goodness, and mercy."
- Westminister Confession of Faith (Chapter 5, Section 1)

"The wisdom of God has found a way for the love of God to deliver sinners from the wrath of God all the while upholding the righteousness of God!!"
- John Piper

"Grace is the pleasure of God to magnify the worth of God by giving sinners the right and power to delight in God without obscuring the glory of God!"
-John Piper

"The very One from Whom we need to be saved, is the One Who has saved us."
- R.C. Sproul

"All of Christian life is ceaseless worship of God the Father, through the mediatorship of God the Son, by the indwelling power of God the Spirit, doing what God commands in Scripture, not doing what God forbids in Scripture, in culturally contextualized ways, for the furtherance of the Gospel, when both gathered for adoration, and scattered for action, in joyous response to God's glorious grace."
- Mark Driscoll

"Believers do not pray with the view of informing God about things unknown to Him, or of exciting Him to do His duty, or of urging Him as though He were reluctant. On the contrary, they pray in order that they may arouse themselves to seek Him, that they may exercise their faith in meditating on His promises, that they may relieve themselves from their anxieties by pouring them into His bosom; in a word, that they may declare that from Him alone they hope and expect, both for themselves and for others, all good things."
- Martin Luther

"I have to tell you first that I am ready to die. I have put my affairs in order. Your supreme weapon is killing. My supreme weapon is dying, because when you kill me, people all over Romania will read my books and believe on the God that I preach - even more than they do now."
- Dr. Joseph Ton, the exiled Romanian pastor (quoted by James Montgomery Boice)

"The best prayer I ever prayed had enough sin in it to condemn the whole world."
- John Bunyan

"If the Christian has lost sight of Calvary, that shows that he has lost his way."
- J.I. Packer[/SIZE]
jon_jinn

Postby Doubleshadow » Sat Apr 28, 2007 3:45 pm

People are dumb. People will run form the police on motorcycles just to get out of a $100 speeding ticket.
[color="Red"]As a man thinks in his heart, so is he. - Proverbs 23:7[/color]

The Sundries
Robin: "If we close our eyes, we can't see anything."
Batman: "A sound observation, Robin."
Doubleshadow

Postby Reba » Sat Apr 28, 2007 6:25 pm

KBMaster wrote:Even if it was stupid, the stabbing could have been done in a state of panic, let's not forget.

So..Lets say a guy said he "Panic'd" When he got caught robbing a bank, A police man came to stop him, THe guy shot the police man, Panic my butt. That kid knew what he was doing when he did it.

Sent from above.

alone,
And this I know.
Your breath's like wine,
Come and lay with me.
I love you.
You make me feel alive,
and I'll love you
Reba

Postby MasterDias » Sat Apr 28, 2007 6:33 pm

Keep in mind that manga is cheaper in Japan than it is in the US, so $50 worth of manga is much more than just 5 volumes.

That said, there will always by kids who would prefer to just take what they want instead of honestly paying for it. Sad, but true.
-----------------------------------------
"Always seek to do good to one another and to all."
1 Thessalonians 5:15

"Every story must have an ending." - Auron - Final Fantasy X

"A small stone may make a ripple at first, but someday it will be a wave." - Wiegraf - Final Fantasy Tactics
MasterDias

Postby Reba » Sat Apr 28, 2007 6:34 pm

Yes it is really sad.

Sent from above.

alone,
And this I know.
Your breath's like wine,
Come and lay with me.
I love you.
You make me feel alive,
and I'll love you
Reba

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Sun Apr 29, 2007 12:14 am

lol stealing manga
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby mitsuki lover » Sun Apr 29, 2007 11:09 am

Again I think I need to stress that this was USED manga,so it makes the crime even more alarming when you consider that it was something he could have simply have paid for on his own.
mitsuki lover

Postby Mave » Sun Apr 29, 2007 5:55 pm

My first thought upon reading this was: Boy, I sure hope he stole enough manga to fill up his jail time.

Fancy getting stabbed over manga.
Mave

Return to Manga and Manga Reviews