Manga(s) with the coolest characters

Post about anime's sister, manga in here. Manga reviews accepted in here as well.

Manga(s) with the coolest characters

Postby jon_jinn » Fri Apr 13, 2007 6:53 pm

this is a pretty simple thread. just make a list of manga titles with really cool characters.
my top picks for manga(s) with the coolest characters are:

Black Cat (almost all of the characters are pretty cool.)
Getbackers (Midou Ban and Dr. Jackal. 'nuff said)
Bleach (To name a few: Ichigo, Renji, Gin, Kenpachi, and Hitsugaya.)
[SIZE="4"]*FASTING FROM CAA (9/25/08 - ???)*[/SIZE]

[SIZE="1"]
"Sometimes we don't present the Gospel well enough for the non-elect to reject it."
- John MacArthur

"In the total expanse of the human life, there is not a single square inch of which Christ, who alone is sovereign, does not declare, 'That is mine'."
- Abraham Kuyper

"God the great Creator of all things doth uphold, direct, dispose, and govern all creatures, actions, and things, from the greatest even to the least, by His most wise and holy providence, according to His infallible foreknowledge and the free and immutable counsel of His own will, to the praise of the glory of His wisdom, power, justice, goodness, and mercy."
- Westminister Confession of Faith (Chapter 5, Section 1)

"The wisdom of God has found a way for the love of God to deliver sinners from the wrath of God all the while upholding the righteousness of God!!"
- John Piper

"Grace is the pleasure of God to magnify the worth of God by giving sinners the right and power to delight in God without obscuring the glory of God!"
-John Piper

"The very One from Whom we need to be saved, is the One Who has saved us."
- R.C. Sproul

"All of Christian life is ceaseless worship of God the Father, through the mediatorship of God the Son, by the indwelling power of God the Spirit, doing what God commands in Scripture, not doing what God forbids in Scripture, in culturally contextualized ways, for the furtherance of the Gospel, when both gathered for adoration, and scattered for action, in joyous response to God's glorious grace."
- Mark Driscoll

"Believers do not pray with the view of informing God about things unknown to Him, or of exciting Him to do His duty, or of urging Him as though He were reluctant. On the contrary, they pray in order that they may arouse themselves to seek Him, that they may exercise their faith in meditating on His promises, that they may relieve themselves from their anxieties by pouring them into His bosom; in a word, that they may declare that from Him alone they hope and expect, both for themselves and for others, all good things."
- Martin Luther

"I have to tell you first that I am ready to die. I have put my affairs in order. Your supreme weapon is killing. My supreme weapon is dying, because when you kill me, people all over Romania will read my books and believe on the God that I preach - even more than they do now."
- Dr. Joseph Ton, the exiled Romanian pastor (quoted by James Montgomery Boice)

"The best prayer I ever prayed had enough sin in it to condemn the whole world."
- John Bunyan

"If the Christian has lost sight of Calvary, that shows that he has lost his way."
- J.I. Packer[/SIZE]
jon_jinn

Postby KBMaster » Fri Apr 13, 2007 7:04 pm

Black Cat: TRAIN SQUEEEEEEEE!! [/fangirl moment]
Full Metal Alchemist: Edward Elric and Roy Mustang SQUEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!![/second fangirl moment]
Bleach: Renji
Inuyasha: Kagome
Shaman King: Anna and Yoh
Rurouni Kenshin: Kenshin SQUEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!![/last fangirl moment]
KBMaster

Postby Raiden no Kishi » Fri Apr 13, 2007 7:13 pm

Gotta give it up for RuroKen, with all of its inventive character designs. Black Cat has some cool characters as well, and hopefully, we'll see more. Of course, Fullmetal Alchemist has lots of memorable characters as well. Although I've only seen the anime, I love the cast of Ouran High School Host Club. Those are the titles that most readily come to mind.

.rai//
[raiden's liveJournal]

[color="Indigo"]"I believe whatever doesn't kill you simply makes you . . . stranger."[/color]

Strollin' in at dawn, wakin' up at noon's gonna catch up to me soon
'Just sleep when you're dead' is what I said 'cause I'm jumpin' off the moon
Raiden no Kishi

Location: Ticking away/The hours that make up the dull day . . .

Postby Debitt » Fri Apr 13, 2007 7:22 pm

Tactics: Ichinomiya Kantarou, Minamoto no Raikou, and Edwards. And well...pretty much the entire cast counts as memorable to me.
D.Gray-man: The entirety of the Noah family and the Millennium Earl
Shaman King: Asakura Hao and Oyamada Manta

[SIZE="5"](*゚∀゚)アハア八アッ八ッノヽ~☆[/SIZE]
[SIZE="1"]DEBS: Fan of that manga where the kid's head is on fire.[/SIZE]
Debitt

Postby Puguni » Fri Apr 13, 2007 8:06 pm

KBMaster wrote:Black Cat: TRAIN SQUEEEEEEEE!! [/fangirl moment]

I'm more of Sven person myself. '3'

Some characters from Katekyoushi Hitman Reborn are really cool, like Dino and Gokudera. :D
Puguni

Location: In a place where I can wonder why good grammar doesn't apply on the internet.

Postby Fish and Chips » Sat Apr 14, 2007 12:40 am

FullMetal Alchemist - Highly memorable cast, heroes and villians alike. Special props to Wrath.
Hellsing - If I could have a butler, I'd want it to be Walter C. Dornez...minus certain late in the game spoilers.
Mushishi - Ginko is The Man.
Samurai Deeper Kyo - Benitora and Souske spring to mind, as do Taihaku and Chinmei.
Fish and Chips

Postby Rarothi » Sat Apr 14, 2007 1:28 am

Seconding... thirding? Black Cat. I actually quite adore Charden, and Train is always awesome.

Zombie Powder, of course. Such an eccentric cast, but they're ALL cool. (Gamma can work those sunglasses baby.)

Trigun Maximum, because it has Livio and Elendira, who we never see in the anime. Mostly Livio though. I love him.

Eyeshield 21. One word: Hiruma.
Cause our days were numbered by nights on too many rooftops.
They said we're wasting our lives,
Oh at least we know, that if we die - we lived with passion.
They said we'd burn so bright.
We burn this city and go.

l i v e j o u r n a l ♪ d e v i a n t A R T
Rarothi

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Sat Apr 14, 2007 7:21 am

FMA, definitely. I find myself caring deeply for each and every one of the characters, even Envy and the other Homunculi in some ways. Some exceptional characters:
Edward Elric
Alphonse Elric
Roy Mustang
Winry Rockbell
Riza Hawkeye
Scar
Ran Fan
Hohenheim

And lately, I find myself liking Olivier Armstrong too.
You can find out things about the past that you never knew. And from what you've learned, you may see some things differently in the present. You're the one that changes. Not the past.
- Ellone, Final Fantasy VIII

"There's a difference between maliciously offending somebody - on purpose - and somebody being offended by...truth. If you're offended by the truth, that's your problem. I have no obligation to not offend you if I'm speaking the truth. The truth is supposed to offend you; that's how you know you don't got it."
- Brad Stine
the_wolfs_howl

Postby WrestlingOtaku » Sat Apr 14, 2007 8:27 am

Black Cat (Sven, Charden, Kyoko [don't know why I like her, I just think she's cool >.>])
One Piece (Zoro, Buggy, Arlong, Robin)
Rurouni Kenshin (Sanosuke, Saito, Shishio, and the main villain from the last arc, can't remember his name...)
Full Metal Alchemist (Scar, Edward, Roy, Lust)
Trigun Maximum (Woolfwood, the rollerblading samurai [that was totally sweet, wish they would of put the character on rollerblades in the anime], actually most of the Gung Ho Guns)

That's all I can think of at the moment.
WrestlingOtaku

Postby Rarothi » Sat Apr 14, 2007 10:13 am

WrestlingOtaku wrote:Trigun Maximum (Woolfwood, the rollerblading samurai [that was totally sweet, wish they would of put the character on rollerblades in the anime], actually most of the Gung Ho Guns)

His name is Rai-Dei. Aw man, and now I feel totally horrible for forgetting about Midvalley. Midvalley is AWESOME. Anyone who can kill you with a saxophone and look that good while doing it deserves to be mentioned.
Cause our days were numbered by nights on too many rooftops.
They said we're wasting our lives,
Oh at least we know, that if we die - we lived with passion.
They said we'd burn so bright.
We burn this city and go.

l i v e j o u r n a l ♪ d e v i a n t A R T
Rarothi

Postby Kuro-Mizu » Sat Apr 14, 2007 10:35 am

Cool characters eh?

Well their is bleach of COURSE! My favourites from bleach are- Rukia, Hitsugaya, and Ichigo.

And Fullmetal alchemist! pretty much every character from FMA is loveable in some way!

DEATH NOTE, why hasn't anyone said this????

My favourite character BY FAR is near! L is pretty cool to! But I like Nears personality better!

Of course all the female characters seem to be pretty lowly though.. and their is only like 4 throughout the manga... I dunno...

I also like the character's in SPIRAl... Especially the blade children... they are so complex! and their is alot of character development throughout the series!

I guess the last one would be Cardcaptor Sakura! The characters all have their own charm it seems!
CAA does the FACE!
ImageImageImage
Formerly Known As Vernhal
//My Devart\\//My Sheezyart\\
Kuro-Mizu

Postby WrestlingOtaku » Sat Apr 14, 2007 8:42 pm

How could I forget L?! L is one of the coolest characters in all of mangadom!!
WrestlingOtaku

Postby Fish and Chips » Sat Apr 14, 2007 8:45 pm

Lots of people mentioning Black Cat. I've been thining of looking into that series.

Also, most of the Gung-Ho Guns from Trigun were decently awesome. When their numbers started running low is when my interest in the series started to decrease significantly.
Fish and Chips

Postby KeybladeWarrior » Sat Apr 14, 2007 9:14 pm

Bleach(Ichigo, Renji,Histugaya)
Rurouni Kenshin(Kenshin, Sanosuke, Aoshi)
Fullmetal Alchemist(Edward)
@)}~`,~ Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks, To All
The CAA Moderators.

"YEAH TOAST! TOCAA!"
KeybladeWarrior

Postby Raiden no Kishi » Sat Apr 14, 2007 10:57 pm

WrestlingOtaku wrote:Black Cat (Sven, Charden, Kyoko [don't know why I like her, I just think she's cool >.>])
One Piece (Zoro, Buggy, Arlong, Robin)
Rurouni Kenshin (Sanosuke, Saito, Shishio, and the main villain from the last arc, can't remember his name...)
Full Metal Alchemist (Scar, Edward, Roy, Lust)
Trigun Maximum (Woolfwood, the rollerblading samurai [that was totally sweet, wish they would of put the character on rollerblades in the anime], actually most of the Gung Ho Guns)

That's all I can think of at the moment.

Actually, Rai-Dei was in the anime, but I don't think he had rollerblades.

Since we appear to be discussing our favorite characters rather than series we like because of the characters, I'll list some of my favorites.

Fullmetal Alchemist:
Alphonse Elric [I love Al ~ he's just a great kid. Er, possessed suit of armor. XD]
1st Lieutenant Riza Hawkeye [Riza is just plain cool. Anyone who can handle firearms that well and put up with Roy Mustang is just plain awesome.]
Major Alex Louis Armstrong [You've got to give it up for the Major. He gives hugs like I do. Plus, any time you see him appear, you know you're going to smile.]
Lieutenant Colonel Maes Hughes [A sly intelligence officer, expert knife-thrower, and loving family man. Hughes is an awesome character, all-around.]

Black Cat:
Sven Vollfied [I'm a sucker for the "straight-man/voice of reason" characters. Not only is he the sensible one, he's chivalrous, an inventor, and one snappy dresser. Sven is all class, IMO.]

D.Gray-man:
Lavi [Even though he's a relatively new character as far as the bookstore releases go, I love Lavi. He's so much fun. Plus, he wields a size-changing giant hammer. I have a soft spot in my heart for giant hammers. I loved it when he advised Allen to "call [Kanda] Yuu next time you see him. He'll give you the evil eye!". He's evil like me.]
Arystar Krory [I don't know why I have him listed, since they haven't even finished fighting him yet in the manga, but I like how he goes from emo to "Arrgh I'm going to wreck you up" at the drop of a hat. X-flipping-D. He's going to be fun, oh yes.]

Death Note:
L [How could anyone not love L? He's goofy, socially awkward, and INCREDIBLY BRILLIANT. He also has not one, but a full complement of 32 sweet teeth. XD His "Justice will prevail!" smile was awesome.]
NOT Light Yagami [Light is evil and sneaky and mean and we don't like him, that we don't. Rrgh. : : huggles L : :]

Zombie Powder:
C.T. Smith [There's something that I find really cool about Smith. I like gunslinger characters and intelligent types, and a guy who dresses up when he fights is pretty cool as well. Shame the series is so short, eh?]

Rurouni Kenshin:
Kenshin Himura [Kenshin is still the man ~ the short, skinny, somewhat androgynous man. I usually have an aversion to liking the main protagonist [because that's who the mangaka wants you to love the most, usually], but I can't not like Kenshin. Going from innocent nice guy to master swordsman in the blink of an eye is cool. I also love his selfless heart.
Hiko Seijuro XIII [I don't indentify with Hiko-sensei whatsoever. I still list him because he is so much fun. Also a snappy dresser, and it suits his personality to a T.]

Buso Renkin:
Koushaku Chouno/Papillon [I also do not identify with Koushaku at all ~ thank goodness! Only the man who brought us Kamatari the Heavy Scythe could create such a . . . well . . . fruity character. But he's loads of fun, if only because he's so ridiculous. What was Watsuki-sensei thinking? XD]

Naruto:
Rock Lee [I love Rock Lee ~ in fact, I wish that he was the main character rather than Naruto. You've got to love a guy who refuses to give up on becoming a ninja, even though he has no access to the abilities that make ninja so special. Is he a bit silly? Yes. But the kid's got all the heart in the world. Rock Lee FTW.]
Hinata Hyuuga [Hinata is adorable. I would hug her. A lot. However, she needs to set her standards higher than a certain blond, orange-clad ninja. I can really relate to her because I have a very strong adversion to believing in my own potential.]

Ouran High School Host Club [even though I've only seen the anime]:
Kyouya Ootori [I told you I liked the intelligent, straight-man characters, and Kyouya does this role perfectly. I also love how he's grumpy when he wakes up [the "Low Blood Pressure Evil Lord"] ~ he and I are the same in that respect. Also, I like how he's always dependable and on-the-ball, as well as capable of handling Tamaki, which is a feat in and of itself. I can also identify with his being really a caring person despite seeming cold and aloof, because I am often the same way. We also both love to sleep in.]
Kaoru Hitachiin [I love both of the twins for being so lovably evil, but I like Kaoru more because he's the more thoughtful one. Plus, I love how he supports Hikaru.]
Umehito Nekozawa [He's silly, wears a cloak, loves his sister dearly, and strikes terror into Tamaki's heart. He wins. I would love to cosplay Nekozawa someday.]
Ryouji "Ranka" Fujioka [Ranka is at one both scary and fun. Scary for obvious reasons, but fun because he's so silly and throws Tamaki under the bus any chance he gets. Plus, I like how much he cares for Haruhi, even if she gives him the cold shoulder.]
NOT THE ZUKA CLUB EVER ARGH ARGH ARGH.

Bleach:
Hanataro Yamada [I love Hanataro, sicne we're both convinced that we're pretty useless. I also really like his zanpakuto.]

Gee whiz, it's almost 2 AM. I gotta go to bed, dangit. ^_^

.rai//
[raiden's liveJournal]

[color="Indigo"]"I believe whatever doesn't kill you simply makes you . . . stranger."[/color]

Strollin' in at dawn, wakin' up at noon's gonna catch up to me soon
'Just sleep when you're dead' is what I said 'cause I'm jumpin' off the moon
Raiden no Kishi

Location: Ticking away/The hours that make up the dull day . . .

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Thu Apr 19, 2007 3:32 pm

One of the best main characters in manga that I've seen is Kenzo Tenma, from Monster. He's a very real character; he's just an ordinary guy (except for his skill in brain surgery) with real faults and real strengths, put into a slightly bizarre situation.
You can find out things about the past that you never knew. And from what you've learned, you may see some things differently in the present. You're the one that changes. Not the past.
- Ellone, Final Fantasy VIII

"There's a difference between maliciously offending somebody - on purpose - and somebody being offended by...truth. If you're offended by the truth, that's your problem. I have no obligation to not offend you if I'm speaking the truth. The truth is supposed to offend you; that's how you know you don't got it."
- Brad Stine
the_wolfs_howl

Postby Fish and Chips » Thu Apr 19, 2007 3:55 pm

[quote="the_wolfs_howl"]One of the best main characters in manga that I've seen is Kenzo Tenma, from Monster. He's a very real character]
If that's the case, I'm going to list Wolfgang Grimmer from the same series, as well as most of the main characters from 20th Century Boys.
Fish and Chips

Postby WrestlingOtaku » Thu Apr 19, 2007 7:26 pm

Just started reading Zombie Powder, and I would defiantly have to add C.T. Smith to my list... so cool.... >.>
WrestlingOtaku

Postby ich1990 » Sat Apr 28, 2007 2:30 pm

Otaku said:

His name is Yukishiro Enishi.
ich1990

Postby Maledicte » Tue May 01, 2007 12:01 am

"Cool" is rather arbitrary, but I'll give it a go--

Most of the characters (heck, why not all of them) from Immortal Rain. When one of the villains is based off of a creepy dentist and everyone simply wears the classiest outfits ever, how can they not be cool?
RAIN vs. VASH, GO!!

Berserk has an awesome cast, too. What with Gutts killing everything, Caska being completely unpredictable, Griffith getting prettier every page, and Serpico in his his squinty-eyed perfection, it's hard to go wrong.

Hellsing has become slightly less cool to me, but Alucard is cool when he shows emotion other than murderous glee, and Pip, Rip and Walter are all pretty awesome.
Maledicte

Postby Shao Feng-Li » Tue May 01, 2007 5:41 am

Rurouni Kenshin: Kenshin, Saito, Aoshi, Sanosuke... Katsuhiro is one of the coolest too.

Monster: Kenzo Tenma, nuf said.

Yotsubato: How can you not love Yotsuba? And her dad is teh awesomeness!

Buso Renkin: Kazuki, Tokiko, Bravo, And of course, Papillon! XD

Zombiw Powder: Akutabi Gamma FTW.

Kaze Hikaru: Toshizo Hijikata.
Shao Feng-Li

Postby Mave » Tue May 01, 2007 10:09 pm

"Cool" in the strictest sense to me, relays an idea of elegance, confidence and a unique sense of style of doing things in their own way (definitely not by society's norms).

Black Cat: Chronos may have this whole Men in Black theme going but they seemed cool to me, even when in danger.

Rurouni Kenshin: Saito Hajime....if I recall properly, this guy barely lost his temper and never lost his confidence throughout the series.

Blade of Immortal: Anotsu, Ginta and Makie are terribly dangerous characters in an admirable and fearful way.

I haven't seen enough of FMA and Bleach to decide who's cool but I do recall Zombie Powder having unique characters.
Mave

Postby WrestlingOtaku » Tue May 01, 2007 10:27 pm

I have to add Chad from Bleach as to my list. The guy says next to nothing, is kind, and can beat the snot out of something he can't even see.
WrestlingOtaku

Postby shade of dae » Sun May 20, 2007 3:41 pm

hmm... i suppose mine would be:

Rurouni Kenshin- Seta Sojirou, Saito, Aoshi

Black Cat- Sven, Eve, CHARDEN!!! (sorry, couldn't help myself)

Yotsuba&!- Yotsuba

Bleach- Byakuya, Urahara, Aizen, Ulquiorra, and Ishida (my two favorites!)

Death Note- L, Light

I think that's about it.... Although I'm quite sure five minutes from now I'll say "Oh! I forgot about something or other"
shade of dae

Return to Manga and Manga Reviews