Manga(s) with the best art

Post about anime's sister, manga in here. Manga reviews accepted in here as well.

Manga(s) with the best art

Postby jon_jinn » Sat Mar 10, 2007 8:14 pm

Yep. This is another one of those “opinionâ€
[SIZE="4"]*FASTING FROM CAA (9/25/08 - ???)*[/SIZE]

[SIZE="1"]
"Sometimes we don't present the Gospel well enough for the non-elect to reject it."
- John MacArthur

"In the total expanse of the human life, there is not a single square inch of which Christ, who alone is sovereign, does not declare, 'That is mine'."
- Abraham Kuyper

"God the great Creator of all things doth uphold, direct, dispose, and govern all creatures, actions, and things, from the greatest even to the least, by His most wise and holy providence, according to His infallible foreknowledge and the free and immutable counsel of His own will, to the praise of the glory of His wisdom, power, justice, goodness, and mercy."
- Westminister Confession of Faith (Chapter 5, Section 1)

"The wisdom of God has found a way for the love of God to deliver sinners from the wrath of God all the while upholding the righteousness of God!!"
- John Piper

"Grace is the pleasure of God to magnify the worth of God by giving sinners the right and power to delight in God without obscuring the glory of God!"
-John Piper

"The very One from Whom we need to be saved, is the One Who has saved us."
- R.C. Sproul

"All of Christian life is ceaseless worship of God the Father, through the mediatorship of God the Son, by the indwelling power of God the Spirit, doing what God commands in Scripture, not doing what God forbids in Scripture, in culturally contextualized ways, for the furtherance of the Gospel, when both gathered for adoration, and scattered for action, in joyous response to God's glorious grace."
- Mark Driscoll

"Believers do not pray with the view of informing God about things unknown to Him, or of exciting Him to do His duty, or of urging Him as though He were reluctant. On the contrary, they pray in order that they may arouse themselves to seek Him, that they may exercise their faith in meditating on His promises, that they may relieve themselves from their anxieties by pouring them into His bosom; in a word, that they may declare that from Him alone they hope and expect, both for themselves and for others, all good things."
- Martin Luther

"I have to tell you first that I am ready to die. I have put my affairs in order. Your supreme weapon is killing. My supreme weapon is dying, because when you kill me, people all over Romania will read my books and believe on the God that I preach - even more than they do now."
- Dr. Joseph Ton, the exiled Romanian pastor (quoted by James Montgomery Boice)

"The best prayer I ever prayed had enough sin in it to condemn the whole world."
- John Bunyan

"If the Christian has lost sight of Calvary, that shows that he has lost his way."
- J.I. Packer[/SIZE]
jon_jinn

Postby Radical Dreamer » Sat Mar 10, 2007 8:43 pm

Mine are going to line up with the things I've posted in other threads, so if it sounds redundant, oh well. XD

Full Moon wo Sagashite -- Can you say "detailed"? And "absolutely gorgeous"? Yes, I love Tanemura's art style. XD

Rurouni Kenshin -- Sans volume 1, I love the art in this series. It's clean, it's well done, proportions are all good, and it's detailed. Plus, most of the first part is cross-hatched for shading, which is impressive. Also, the charcoal drawings used as chapter pages add a nice touch to the manga's style.

Death Note -- What little (very little) I've read of it had excellent art.

Those are the only ones that come to mind at the moment.
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]4 8 15 16 23[/color] 42
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]
[color="Orange"]WELCOME TO MOES[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby ChristianKitsune » Sun Mar 11, 2007 12:38 am

I agree with Raddie-chan on Rurouni Kenshin :D Although his style seems to change in later volumes..^^;

I will also go with Full moon O Sagashite...with the exception that it's sometimes hard to tell the characters apart...^^;

I will go on to say, Immortal Rain, Sea Princess Azuri (Amerimanga) Juvenile Orion and a few others.. ^_^
ImageImage
Stick Monkey Chronicles
Web-Manga Hosted by: The Project
ChristianKitsune

Location: In my sketchbook of wonderment and puffy pink clouds! *\^o^/*

Postby Raiden no Kishi » Sun Mar 11, 2007 5:40 am

I'll second RuroKen and Death Note, but I'd like to add Fullmetal Alchemist, myself. I think Arakawa's art is excellent. Also, though not everyone likes it, I think the art in Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicle is beautiful, especially the covers. Hyuu~!

.rai//
[raiden's liveJournal]

[color="Indigo"]"I believe whatever doesn't kill you simply makes you . . . stranger."[/color]

Strollin' in at dawn, wakin' up at noon's gonna catch up to me soon
'Just sleep when you're dead' is what I said 'cause I'm jumpin' off the moon
Raiden no Kishi

Location: Ticking away/The hours that make up the dull day . . .

Postby Fish and Chips » Sun Mar 11, 2007 10:59 am

FullMetal Alchemist - Arakawa artwork is certainly worthy of her storytelling, and especially shows during both fight scenes and moments of tension. She gives her world a very real and dark feeling (so I was actually slightly annoyed by the bright and cheer color scheme of the Anime).

Hellsing - When Hirano can be bothered draw more than bloodstains, his artistic talents shows itself better. He's improved a lot over the course of his Manga, especially in character design. Pick up a copy of Hellsing vol. 1, flip through it, then shelve it for one of the later volumes, and you can tell.

Trigun - Though I eventually lost interest in the story, I still like Nightow's style. It's distinctive, sharp, and crisp. I'm not sure why, but I like that aspect in a lot of art and design, like the characters could cut you with their sleeves (and knowing Nightow, they probably could).

And a special shout out to Naoki Urasawa, for the bulk of his seinen work, all of which easily ranks within my favorites list. His art is fairly traditional, and decidedly not standard, but I think that lends his worlds a better, more believable feel.
Fish and Chips

Postby Puguni » Sun Mar 11, 2007 11:03 am

I'm not sure about the story, but Alichino has gorgeous art. It's detailed and its anatomy is more correct than quite a few mangas out there.
Puguni

Location: In a place where I can wonder why good grammar doesn't apply on the internet.

Postby Ichigo_89 » Sun Mar 11, 2007 6:59 pm

Berserk
Trigun Maximum
BLAME!
Hellsing
AKIRA
Battle Angel Alita:Last Order
Deathnote
Banya (technically manhwa, but still)
Ichigo_89

Postby WrestlingOtaku » Sun Mar 11, 2007 8:49 pm

All right here are mine.

Black Cat
Later volumes of Rurouni Kenshin
Death Note
Scrapped Princess
Bleach
Record of Lodoss War: The Grey Witch
WrestlingOtaku

Postby jon_jinn » Mon Mar 12, 2007 5:53 pm

[quote="jon_jinn"]Yep. This is another one of those “opinionâ€
[SIZE="4"]*FASTING FROM CAA (9/25/08 - ???)*[/SIZE]

[SIZE="1"]
"Sometimes we don't present the Gospel well enough for the non-elect to reject it."
- John MacArthur

"In the total expanse of the human life, there is not a single square inch of which Christ, who alone is sovereign, does not declare, 'That is mine'."
- Abraham Kuyper

"God the great Creator of all things doth uphold, direct, dispose, and govern all creatures, actions, and things, from the greatest even to the least, by His most wise and holy providence, according to His infallible foreknowledge and the free and immutable counsel of His own will, to the praise of the glory of His wisdom, power, justice, goodness, and mercy."
- Westminister Confession of Faith (Chapter 5, Section 1)

"The wisdom of God has found a way for the love of God to deliver sinners from the wrath of God all the while upholding the righteousness of God!!"
- John Piper

"Grace is the pleasure of God to magnify the worth of God by giving sinners the right and power to delight in God without obscuring the glory of God!"
-John Piper

"The very One from Whom we need to be saved, is the One Who has saved us."
- R.C. Sproul

"All of Christian life is ceaseless worship of God the Father, through the mediatorship of God the Son, by the indwelling power of God the Spirit, doing what God commands in Scripture, not doing what God forbids in Scripture, in culturally contextualized ways, for the furtherance of the Gospel, when both gathered for adoration, and scattered for action, in joyous response to God's glorious grace."
- Mark Driscoll

"Believers do not pray with the view of informing God about things unknown to Him, or of exciting Him to do His duty, or of urging Him as though He were reluctant. On the contrary, they pray in order that they may arouse themselves to seek Him, that they may exercise their faith in meditating on His promises, that they may relieve themselves from their anxieties by pouring them into His bosom; in a word, that they may declare that from Him alone they hope and expect, both for themselves and for others, all good things."
- Martin Luther

"I have to tell you first that I am ready to die. I have put my affairs in order. Your supreme weapon is killing. My supreme weapon is dying, because when you kill me, people all over Romania will read my books and believe on the God that I preach - even more than they do now."
- Dr. Joseph Ton, the exiled Romanian pastor (quoted by James Montgomery Boice)

"The best prayer I ever prayed had enough sin in it to condemn the whole world."
- John Bunyan

"If the Christian has lost sight of Calvary, that shows that he has lost his way."
- J.I. Packer[/SIZE]
jon_jinn

Postby Etoh*the*Greato » Mon Mar 12, 2007 7:04 pm

There is one that I've never heard of anyone else reading except for the guy that talked me in to picking it up. Chikyu Misaki.
"I do not feel obliged to believe that that same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forego their use." - Galileo Galilei
ImageImageImageImage
Etoh*the*Greato

Postby KBMaster » Mon Mar 12, 2007 8:30 pm

Full Metal Alchemist

Death Note

Black Cat

Rurouni Kenshin

Can't think of anything else at the moment.
KBMaster

Postby Maledicte » Tue Mar 13, 2007 1:33 am

Phoenix by Osamu Tezuka. Possibly the best of the "god of Manga's" work, with innovative and intuitive layout. The simplistic character art might not be to anyone's taste.

Immortal Rain by Kaori Ozaki. The characters look solid, rather than the very 2D effect in most manga. Great monsters, backgrounds, character designs, etc. And I love the outfits!

Pet Shop of Horrors by Matsuri Akino. Rather opposite of Ozaki, the characters here look VERY two-dimensional....but somehow it all pulls together GORGEOUSLY. I consider this the "wow how did they ever manage to draw all of this on time" pinnacle of manga. (Berserk would have been, but it's never on time.)

Hellsing by Kohta Hirano: better with every volume.
Maledicte

Postby Rocketshipper » Tue Mar 13, 2007 1:30 pm

My picks for best artwork.

X/1999
Battle Royale
Sakura Diaries.
Jessie and James, together forever!

AAML forever!

Colorado is EVIL!! Save me!!

Eternal Defender of Tracey Sketchit. If you are a Brock lover, beware ^_^

"Like the moon over
the day, my genius and brawn
are lost on these fools"-Bowser, Super Mario RPG

Confused about the meaning of the screen name??

http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/RocketShipping

Go here and be enlightened ^_^

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHg5SJYRHA0

Click the above link...I dare you.

http://community.livejournal.com/ship_manifesto/87185.html

The best essay on Junzumi shipping ever ^^.

http://myanimelist.net/profile/Rocketshipper
Rocketshipper

Postby ICE-rocks » Tue Mar 13, 2007 2:11 pm

oh this is the manga forum sorry never mind my post.
I'm back with a vengeance or at least anime studio :thumb:
ICE-rocks

Postby Alice » Tue Mar 13, 2007 6:32 pm

Clamp's art rates high, although I've stopped reading Clamp.
People talking without speaking
People hearing without listening
People writing songs that voices never share

And no one dared
Disturb the sound of silence.
Alice

Postby Sozo Bakura » Wed Mar 14, 2007 8:22 am

I'm not sure if anyone here has read (or even heard of) Aria. It's a kids' manga without much action, but I absolutely love the artwork, so I had to get the first couple volumes.
Oscar Wilde:
"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination."
"Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months."
"One can survive everything, nowadays, except death, and live down everything except a good reputation."
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone elses opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation."
Sozo Bakura

Postby Fantasy Dreamer » Wed Mar 14, 2007 9:13 am

Wow, look at all the people who actually took the time to explain why they like the art so much or why its so beautiful... I'm too lazy for that :lol:

What's been mentioned:
Full Metal Alchemist
Rurouni Kenshin

What hasn't:
Ouran High School Host Club
Fruits Basket
The All New Tenchi Muyo (though I admit, I've only read one volume of it)
Gundam Seed (again, one volume)
DNAngel (from what I looked at in the store)
"Be strong, and let your heart take courage, all you who wait for the Lord!" - Psalm 31:24

"MOES: Sig. Or sig not. There is no scroll."

My Fanfiction.net account
My DA account
My MAL

"An XD a post will keep humor at its most." - Goldenspines <3
Fantasy Dreamer

Postby ilikegir33 » Sat Mar 24, 2007 2:15 pm

2nd to HnG, Death Note, Berserk, BLAME!, and 20th Century Boys. But MONSTER is ABSOLUTELY GORGEOUS. Naoki Urusawa is good at art and so is Obata Takeshi. :)
:dizzy: [color="Orange"]People are so crazy these days. If you are one of those crazy ppl, then copy this into your sig![/color]:dizzy:
MOES. "Take off every sig for great justice"
@)}~`,~ Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks To All The CAA Moderators.
What I'll be reviewing in the future:
SoulTaker (soon to start)
Whoever loves discipline loves knowledge, but he who hates correction is stupid. Proverbs 12:1
ilikegir33

Postby Shao Feng-Li » Mon Mar 26, 2007 3:45 pm

Rurouni Kenshin. Even if the art changes, it's for the better.

Buso Renkin

Death Note and Hikaru no Go

Ultra Maniac

Claymore- has no one read Claymore?

Akira

Monster

Kaze Hikaru'

Aria
Shao Feng-Li

Postby KeybladeWarrior » Fri Apr 06, 2007 7:49 am

1.Rurouni Kenshin
2.Bleach