What is the most disappointing manga you've read?

Post about anime's sister, manga in here. Manga reviews accepted in here as well.

Postby Radical Dreamer » Sun Feb 11, 2007 7:21 pm

Tenshi no Ai wrote:Wait, Tsubasa was perverted? Do you mean ecchi, or just that it was odd? Because if you meant ecchi, I'm pretty sure it's pretty much clean in that area...

I wondered a bit about that myself, but then I thought, "oh wait, I only read to volume 4...I could have missed a lot! XD;". But yeah, the parts I read were clean in that regard.
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]4 8 15 16 23[/color] 42
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]
[color="Orange"]WELCOME TO MOES[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby jon_jinn » Sun Feb 11, 2007 7:34 pm

oro! wrote:Tsubasa: It was too perverted/occultic for this one. Also, there was always a lot going on, and minimal structure in panels that made it a pain to read.

:wow!: perverted?!?! are you seriously sure you're talking about the right manga?...
[SIZE="4"]*FASTING FROM CAA (9/25/08 - ???)*[/SIZE]

[SIZE="1"]
"Sometimes we don't present the Gospel well enough for the non-elect to reject it."
- John MacArthur

"In the total expanse of the human life, there is not a single square inch of which Christ, who alone is sovereign, does not declare, 'That is mine'."
- Abraham Kuyper

"God the great Creator of all things doth uphold, direct, dispose, and govern all creatures, actions, and things, from the greatest even to the least, by His most wise and holy providence, according to His infallible foreknowledge and the free and immutable counsel of His own will, to the praise of the glory of His wisdom, power, justice, goodness, and mercy."
- Westminister Confession of Faith (Chapter 5, Section 1)

"The wisdom of God has found a way for the love of God to deliver sinners from the wrath of God all the while upholding the righteousness of God!!"
- John Piper

"Grace is the pleasure of God to magnify the worth of God by giving sinners the right and power to delight in God without obscuring the glory of God!"
-John Piper

"The very One from Whom we need to be saved, is the One Who has saved us."
- R.C. Sproul

"All of Christian life is ceaseless worship of God the Father, through the mediatorship of God the Son, by the indwelling power of God the Spirit, doing what God commands in Scripture, not doing what God forbids in Scripture, in culturally contextualized ways, for the furtherance of the Gospel, when both gathered for adoration, and scattered for action, in joyous response to God's glorious grace."
- Mark Driscoll

"Believers do not pray with the view of informing God about things unknown to Him, or of exciting Him to do His duty, or of urging Him as though He were reluctant. On the contrary, they pray in order that they may arouse themselves to seek Him, that they may exercise their faith in meditating on His promises, that they may relieve themselves from their anxieties by pouring them into His bosom; in a word, that they may declare that from Him alone they hope and expect, both for themselves and for others, all good things."
- Martin Luther

"I have to tell you first that I am ready to die. I have put my affairs in order. Your supreme weapon is killing. My supreme weapon is dying, because when you kill me, people all over Romania will read my books and believe on the God that I preach - even more than they do now."
- Dr. Joseph Ton, the exiled Romanian pastor (quoted by James Montgomery Boice)

"The best prayer I ever prayed had enough sin in it to condemn the whole world."
- John Bunyan

"If the Christian has lost sight of Calvary, that shows that he has lost his way."
- J.I. Packer[/SIZE]
jon_jinn

Postby Doubleshadow » Sun Feb 11, 2007 8:38 pm

Wolf's Rain: One of my favorite anime, and it was just bad.

Fushigi Yuugi: Angst and I do not get along. It was like a bad self insertion fan fiction.

Immortal Rain: Severely bad religion and nudity. No.
[color="Red"]As a man thinks in his heart, so is he. - Proverbs 23:7[/color]

The Sundries
Robin: "If we close our eyes, we can't see anything."
Batman: "A sound observation, Robin."
Doubleshadow

Postby Mave » Sun Feb 11, 2007 8:43 pm

Chobits was a little too ecchi while XXXholic somewhat falls under occultic to me (reading it made me feel quite uncomfortable). Perhaps you were referring to these two titles, not Tsubasa.

Hmm....I guess I've read so many pointless love shoujo titles (hahaha) that my standards are below the average reader. Most titles mentioned are pretty Ok to me. I think I can live with overused cliches and poor character development. However, the few moments I was truly disappointed involve manga series that could not match the standards or was very different from their anime counterparts: Cowboy Bebop, sCRYed and Vision of Escaflowne.

...Especially sCRYed (what the crumbs happened to the manga?! Who decided to notch up the fanservice and degrade the art quality?)
Mave

Postby jon_jinn » Sun Feb 11, 2007 9:11 pm

yeah. the cowboy bebop manga seriously sucked. i had pretty high expectations for it after i saw the entire anime series and i was severely disappointed...

[SIZE="1"]
"Sometimes we don't present the Gospel well enough for the non-elect to reject it."
- John MacArthur

"In the total expanse of the human life, there is not a single square inch of which Christ, who alone is sovereign, does not declare, 'That is mine'."
- Abraham Kuyper

"God the great Creator of all things doth uphold, direct, dispose, and govern all creatures, actions, and things, from the greatest even to the least, by His most wise and holy providence, according to His infallible foreknowledge and the free and immutable counsel of His own will, to the praise of the glory of His wisdom, power, justice, goodness, and mercy."

"The wisdom of God has found a way for the love of God to deliver sinners from the wrath of God all the while upholding the righteousness of God!!"
- John Piper

"Grace is the pleasure of God to magnify the worth of God by giving sinners the right and power to delight in God without obscuring the glory of God!"
-John Piper

- R.C. Sproul

"All of Christian life is ceaseless worship of God the Father, through the mediatorship of God the Son, by the indwelling power of God the Spirit, doing what God commands in Scripture, not doing what God forbids in Scripture, in culturally contextualized ways, for the furtherance of the Gospel, when both gathered for adoration, and scattered for action, in joyous response to God's glorious grace."
- Mark Driscoll

"Believers do not pray with the view of informing God about things unknown to Him, or of exciting Him to do His duty, or of urging Him as though He were reluctant. On the contrary, they pray in order that they may arouse themselves to seek Him, that they may exercise their faith in meditating on His promises, that they may relieve themselves from their anxieties by pouring them into His bosom; in a word, that they may declare that from Him alone they hope and expect, both for themselves and for others, all good things."
- Martin Luther

"I have to tell you first that I am ready to die. I have put my affairs in order. Your supreme weapon is killing. My supreme weapon is dying, because when you kill me, people all over Romania will read my books and believe on the God that I preach - even more than they do now."

"The best prayer I ever prayed had enough sin in it to condemn the whole world."
- John Bunyan

"If the Christian has lost sight of Calvary, that shows that he has lost his way."
- J.I. Packer[/SIZE]
jon_jinn

Postby Stiletto » Sun Feb 11, 2007 9:18 pm

oro! wrote:(in response to others who disliked this manga)
Azumanga Daioh was random, but I liked it and the gradual story it told of high school. I especially liked the cute factors. Most guys would probably not like it b/c it is a mostly emotion-based, short comic. It also has almost no males in it(that actually do anything). It is also mostly pure fun.

I enjoyed the Azumanga Daioh manga enough to watch the anime. At first it was the 4-koma format that drew me into it, but the cuteness and humor of the later volumes won me out. Though I can definitely understand why some couldn't get into it's unique brand of humor (the same could be said with Yotsuba&).

Gatekeepers (never got over that disappointment)

Yeah, the manga just never achieved the fun factor of the GK anime.
Stiletto

Postby Mi-Ru-Me » Mon Feb 12, 2007 10:50 am

Mave wrote:Chobits was a little too ecchi while XXXholic somewhat falls under occultic to me (reading it made me feel quite uncomfortable). Perhaps you were referring to these two titles, not Tsubasa.

Hmm....I guess I've read so many pointless love shoujo titles (hahaha) that my standards are below the average reader. Most titles mentioned are pretty Ok to me. I think I can live with overused cliches and poor character development. However, the few moments I was truly disappointed involve manga series that could not match the standards or was very different from their anime counterparts: Cowboy Bebop, sCRYed and Vision of Escaflowne.

...Especially sCRYed (what the crumbs happened to the manga?! Who decided to notch up the fanservice and degrade the art quality?)

I read you Scryed was incredably awsome until the last book then it became the cheezyist book I ever read I mean the last 4 chapters I about started to slam my head into a wall but the first 4 books were great. I have a feeling the guy either ran out of time money or ideas and just summed it up as quikly as he could.

And the ending to chobits was also very disapointing.
Mi-Ru-Me

Postby uc pseudonym » Mon Feb 12, 2007 5:11 pm

Tenshi no Ai wrote:I think the best example of good characters and a more involved storyline, would be Chobits.

I more or less skimmed the series. Though I didn't like it, I didn't read it carefully enough to feel comfortable making an objective negative statement. That's purely based on the manga. Basically, I haven't explored xxxHolic because of my generally negative impression (and the characters from it in Tsubasa didn't impress me particularly), but perhaps I should check it out based on your recommendation.

KBMaster wrote:Just out of curiousity, have you read his work "Cowa"? It's about two little monsters. It's very cute, but unfortunately, I don't think it's released in America.

Actually, I did read some of it. But it was one of the series I had in mind when I made that post. "Cute" doesn't get far with me and I think that Toriyama completely fails to be humorous.
uc pseudonym

Postby Debitt » Mon Feb 12, 2007 5:34 pm

Dragon Knights had such a wonderful premise going in, but the further the series progressed, the more convoluted and badly written it became. It was a real let-down for me, because I so loved it at first.

Aside from X/1999 and Tokyo Babylon, I find most of CLAMP's stuff to be overrated as well, both in art and storyline.

And I never understood why Rurouni Kenshin was so popular. ^_^; I guess it just wasn't my taste.

[SIZE="5"](*゚∀゚)アハア八アッ八ッノヽ~☆[/SIZE]
[SIZE="1"]DEBS: Fan of that manga where the kid's head is on fire.[/SIZE]
Debitt

Postby rocklobster » Tue Feb 13, 2007 7:10 am

My vote: Kingdom Hearts. I know good Disney comics when I see them and this isn't it. I used to read Disney comics when I was a kid, so I know what I'm talking about.
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you. I appointed you to be a prophet of all nations."
--Jeremiah 1:5
Hit me up on social media!
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100007205508246<--Facebook

I'm also on Amino as Radical Edward, and on Reddit as Rocklobster as well.

click here for my playlist!
my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby ShiroiHikari » Tue Feb 13, 2007 10:02 am

uc pseudonym wrote:CLAMP: They have such a large fanbase and so many series that I had high hopes. I was hoping that shoujo writers would have deep characters and more involved storylines than the typical shonen fare. Neither was forthcoming. Someday I may find a series they've made that I like, but that day has not yet come.

You summed my opinion up quite nicely. Reading X/1999 made me feel sick inside. Wish was lackluster and offensive. Chobits immediately turned me off (take one guess as to why). Angelic Layer was boring and didn't capture my interest at all. Tsubasa was alright, I guess, but the art was sloppy and hard to follow, as others have mentioned. (Not to mention the high cover price...) So...CLAMP would have to do something ridiculously awesome to get me to say nice things about them.

Hmm...I can't think of any other titles at the moment. :\
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby Radical Dreamer » Tue Feb 13, 2007 10:05 am

ShiroiHikari wrote:You summed my opinion up quite nicely. Reading X/1999 made me feel sick inside. Wish was lackluster and offensive. Chobits immediately turned me off (take one guess as to why). Angelic Layer was boring and didn't capture my interest at all. Tsubasa was alright, I guess, but the art was sloppy and hard to follow, as others have mentioned. (Not to mention the high cover price...) So...CLAMP would have to do something ridiculously awesome to get me to say nice things about them.

To be honest, the only CLAMP title I ever enjoyed was Magic Knight Rayearth I (which was their first, I think). MKR II was alright, but not half as good as the first, and everything else I've read by them hasn't been up to par either. So yeah, I tend to agree.
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]4 8 15 16 23[/color] 42
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]
[color="Orange"]WELCOME TO MOES[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby Fish and Chips » Tue Feb 13, 2007 10:22 am

Hmm, can't say I've ever enjoyed a CLAMP title. I mean, I don't compulsively flip through them, but from what I've sampled...there are other, better things in the paperback section I'd rather read.
Fish and Chips

Postby Shao Feng-Li » Tue Feb 13, 2007 10:47 am

ShiroiHikari wrote:You summed my opinion up quite nicely. Reading X/1999 made me feel sick inside. Wish was lackluster and offensive. Chobits immediately turned me off (take one guess as to why). Angelic Layer was boring and didn't capture my interest at all. Tsubasa was alright, I guess, but the art was sloppy and hard to follow, as others have mentioned. (Not to mention the high cover price...) So...CLAMP would have to do something ridiculously awesome to get me to say nice things about them.

Wish... How can CLAMP make pervy stuff seem so cute and innocent? D:
Shao Feng-Li

Postby Fish and Chips » Tue Feb 13, 2007 12:29 pm

When it comes to Japanese literature, the cute and innocent titles are always the ones you should be most suspicious of.
Fish and Chips

Postby Nate » Tue Feb 13, 2007 12:32 pm

rocklobster wrote:My vote: Kingdom Hearts. I know good Disney comics when I see them and this isn't it. I used to read Disney comics when I was a kid, so I know what I'm talking about.

Oh yeah, I forgot about that one. I was hoping for something really awesome...but as far as I'm concerned, the KH manga was terrible.

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby KBMaster » Tue Feb 13, 2007 12:41 pm

Nate wrote:Oh yeah, I forgot about that one. I was hoping for something really awesome...but as far as I'm concerned, the KH manga was terrible.

Amen, brothers, amen.

I loved the video game and then when I saw the manga... It was just like, "Why would anyone waste their money on this?"
And did anyone else notice how evil Riku and Kairi looked? O_o
KBMaster

Postby MasterDias » Tue Feb 13, 2007 12:56 pm

I generally agree with UC about Hikaru no Go. I don't really find watching GO very exciting. Didn't help that there was basically a major secondary cast shift once Hikaru went insei...

As for the Kingdom Hearts manga, from the bit I looked at, it looked like a very condensed version of the game. I didn't care for the cartoony artstyle either, and I'm someone who doesn't usually criticize art.
-----------------------------------------
"Always seek to do good to one another and to all."
1 Thessalonians 5:15

"Every story must have an ending." - Auron - Final Fantasy X

"A small stone may make a ripple at first, but someday it will be a wave." - Wiegraf - Final Fantasy Tactics
MasterDias

Postby Tommy » Tue Feb 13, 2007 3:35 pm

I didn't expect anything good of the KH manga.
My favorite part of KH is the gameplay which isn't present obviously.
Also, the plot is far too fast paced.
Tommy

Postby CrimsonRyu17 » Tue Feb 13, 2007 4:14 pm

Hikaru No Go. Sorry. It was great the first few times I read it. But then it just got so boring the only thing I looked forward to was seeing ghost dude's reaction to Hikaru. But even then he barely got any time in. So, yeah. Boring.

Shaman King. This I was expecting to be at least somewhat good. But I guess I was aiming too high. The characters annoy me and I'm just not a fan of the art style.

Naruto. First time I read this, it was good. But then it just went down a steep hill. I've read alot and I'm pretty sure there are a lot of people that agree with me. But for those who don't, I'm sorry. It just plain sucks. The plot was extremely slow and it was so predictable it just wasn't even funny. The art's good, but the storyline is total blah.

That's just my 0.02 cents.
CrimsonRyu17

Postby Tenshi no Ai » Tue Feb 13, 2007 4:32 pm

Fish and Chips wrote:When it comes to Japanese literature, the cute and innocent titles are always the ones you should be most suspicious of.

Tis true, sadly enough :/ Well, in alot of cases if it's cutesy it's a title for little kids. But if the rating is quite high, be worried :/ Reminds me when I tried watching an ep of DearS once :/ VERY cute characters and I thought "well, maybe the fanservice is just the characters in skimpy clothes", but oh my wasn't expecting other stuff :/ The first ep reminded me of Chobits, except DearS was alot more foreceful on the ecchi theme :/ It was just... yeah :/ So, definately staying away from that manga title^^ I'm just glad Tokyopop didn't publish the image from one of the original manga covers, when I looked them up for pics once. Oh boy it wasn't good at all >_<
神 は、 その 独り 子 を お与え に なった ほど に 世 お愛 された。
独り 子 を 信じる 者 が 一人 も滅 ひない で, 永遠 の 命 お得る ため で ある。

ヨハネ 3:16
Tenshi no Ai

Postby uc pseudonym » Tue Feb 13, 2007 5:53 pm

I'm glad to know I'm not alone about CLAMP.

ShiroiHikari wrote:Tsubasa was alright, I guess, but the art was sloppy and hard to follow, as others have mentioned.

In my opinion they shouldn't try to do action. Their style might be acceptable for most genres, but the most important part of an action sequence is clarity. Of their series that involve battles in some form they're always so messy that all you can get is a gist of what's happening.

Fish and Chips wrote:When it comes to Japanese literature, the cute and innocent titles are always the ones you should be most suspicious of.

Alien Nine is a good example (I was disappointed, but I didn't have any definite expectations). The main characters are all grade school girls and the art style looks simple and shoujo... but things die brutally left and right. Then there was the first scene with nudity, and I immediately flipped to see if the manga-ka was male or female (he's not female).

Tom Dincht wrote:I didn't expect anything good of the KH manga.

That is essentially the reason why I didn't list it. There are a few other notable manga I disliked, but I went into those with low expectations as well.
uc pseudonym

Postby jon_jinn » Tue Feb 13, 2007 6:03 pm

samurai champloo's manga wasn't all that great compared to the anime. i really didn't like the art...

[SIZE="1"]
- John MacArthur

- Abraham Kuyper

- John Piper

-John Piper

- R.C. Sproul

- Mark Driscoll

- Martin Luther

- John Bunyan

- J.I. Packer[/SIZE]
jon_jinn

Postby HisaishiFan » Tue Feb 13, 2007 6:09 pm

ShiroiHikari wrote:So...CLAMP would have to do something ridiculously awesome to get me to say nice things about them.

My only experience with CLAMP was Tokyo Babylon. The homoerotic themes and occultism were offputting to me.
But even if we don't feel at ease, God is greater than our feelings and He knows everything. 1 John 3:20 :angel:

Delight in utter trust.
HisaishiFan

Location: Kentucky (formerly I would have said to think rain, but now you should think sweltering heat . . . a

Postby jon_jinn » Tue Feb 13, 2007 8:21 pm

oh yeah. Tokyo Crazy Paradise. i read the first volume of that manga and hated it. i thought it would be a lot better.

[SIZE="1"]
- John MacArthur

- Abraham Kuyper

- John Piper

-John Piper

- R.C. Sproul

- Mark Driscoll

- Martin Luther

- John Bunyan

- J.I. Packer[/SIZE]
jon_jinn

Postby Shao Feng-Li » Wed Feb 14, 2007 8:53 am

Every so often I'll see a manga image and a name. "Oh what cute art!" Google it and it has a big ol' H on it...
Shao Feng-Li

Postby WrestlingOtaku » Thu Feb 15, 2007 8:08 am

Here are mine:

ROD
Naruto
Samurai Champloo
KH (My little sister bought Chain of Memories, but I haven't gotten around to reading it yet, and to tell the truth I don't have high expectations for that one either.)
WrestlingOtaku

Postby Joshua Christopher » Fri Feb 16, 2007 10:17 am

I've found that basically every manga I read disappoints me.

The only ones that really keep my interest are Berserk, Hellsing, 20th Century Boys, and Fullmetal Alchemist. Every other time I pick up something, I just can't manage a single volume. These days I'm mostly just reading American/European comic books like Sandman, or The League of Extraordinary Gentleman. Stuff like that.
Joshua Christopher

Postby Fish and Chips » Fri Feb 16, 2007 1:36 pm

Is The League of Extraordinary Gentleman any good? I've had mixed feelings about it.
Fish and Chips

Postby Mave » Fri Feb 16, 2007 5:47 pm

Shao Feng-Li wrote:Every so often I'll see a manga image and a name. "Oh what cute art!" Google it and it has a big ol' H on it...

I hear ya, sister. Occasionally, there's a huge ol' Y on it as well.
Mave

Previous Next

Return to Manga and Manga Reviews