What is the most disappointing manga you've read?

Post about anime's sister, manga in here. Manga reviews accepted in here as well.

What is the most disappointing manga you've read?

Postby HisaishiFan » Sat Feb 10, 2007 9:30 am

For me, it was Hellsing. I mean - vampires, Protestants, Catholics and s - how could it go wrong? But there just wasn't really any plot to speak of and you can only read so many pages of vampires ripping folks' bodies to shreds before your eyes start to glaze over . . . stylized art or not.
But even if we don't feel at ease, God is greater than our feelings and He knows everything. 1 John 3:20 :angel:

Delight in utter trust.
HisaishiFan

Location: Kentucky (formerly I would have said to think rain, but now you should think sweltering heat . . . a

Postby jon_jinn » Sat Feb 10, 2007 9:54 am

if you mean mangas you had high expectations for, but when you finally read it, you didn't really enjoy it? or do you mean mangas that you read, but you start disliking them after awhile? well, if you're talking about the first one:

Beet the Vandel Buster
Reborn
Trigun
Trigun Maximum

if you're talking about the second issue:

Rurouni Kenshin
Rave Master
Naruto
Fruits Basket
Yu-Gi-Oh
[SIZE="4"]*FASTING FROM CAA (9/25/08 - ???)*[/SIZE]

[SIZE="1"]
"Sometimes we don't present the Gospel well enough for the non-elect to reject it."
- John MacArthur

"In the total expanse of the human life, there is not a single square inch of which Christ, who alone is sovereign, does not declare, 'That is mine'."
- Abraham Kuyper

"God the great Creator of all things doth uphold, direct, dispose, and govern all creatures, actions, and things, from the greatest even to the least, by His most wise and holy providence, according to His infallible foreknowledge and the free and immutable counsel of His own will, to the praise of the glory of His wisdom, power, justice, goodness, and mercy."
- Westminister Confession of Faith (Chapter 5, Section 1)

"The wisdom of God has found a way for the love of God to deliver sinners from the wrath of God all the while upholding the righteousness of God!!"
- John Piper

"Grace is the pleasure of God to magnify the worth of God by giving sinners the right and power to delight in God without obscuring the glory of God!"
-John Piper

"The very One from Whom we need to be saved, is the One Who has saved us."
- R.C. Sproul

"All of Christian life is ceaseless worship of God the Father, through the mediatorship of God the Son, by the indwelling power of God the Spirit, doing what God commands in Scripture, not doing what God forbids in Scripture, in culturally contextualized ways, for the furtherance of the Gospel, when both gathered for adoration, and scattered for action, in joyous response to God's glorious grace."
- Mark Driscoll

"Believers do not pray with the view of informing God about things unknown to Him, or of exciting Him to do His duty, or of urging Him as though He were reluctant. On the contrary, they pray in order that they may arouse themselves to seek Him, that they may exercise their faith in meditating on His promises, that they may relieve themselves from their anxieties by pouring them into His bosom; in a word, that they may declare that from Him alone they hope and expect, both for themselves and for others, all good things."
- Martin Luther

"I have to tell you first that I am ready to die. I have put my affairs in order. Your supreme weapon is killing. My supreme weapon is dying, because when you kill me, people all over Romania will read my books and believe on the God that I preach - even more than they do now."
- Dr. Joseph Ton, the exiled Romanian pastor (quoted by James Montgomery Boice)

"The best prayer I ever prayed had enough sin in it to condemn the whole world."
- John Bunyan

"If the Christian has lost sight of Calvary, that shows that he has lost his way."
- J.I. Packer[/SIZE]
jon_jinn

Postby KBMaster » Sat Feb 10, 2007 10:51 am

Wait, hang on... *build fortress and puts on protective armor*

BLEACH

*ducks*

Seriously though, I just got sick of the dirty jokes, the almost-full nudity, the reptitiveness of it all, and the fact that is was soooo boring. I got far, i really did. But enough is enough.
KBMaster

Postby Tenshi no Ai » Sat Feb 10, 2007 11:06 am

I can only think of 2: Sandland and the shoujo version of Tenkuu no Escaflowne. Sandland was just ... blah^^ And the Escaflowne was written after the anime so the mangaka had to come up with a new storyline that could somehow be comapred to the anime. It just... didn't work out too well. A short 2 volumes, and I just couldn't get into it too much, though I did read through them. I was hoping it would be better than the fanservicey shounen version I've heard about, but not too much...
神 は、 その 独り 子 を お与え に なった ほど に 世 お愛 された。
独り 子 を 信じる 者 が 一人 も滅 ひない で, 永遠 の 命 お得る ため で ある。

ヨハネ 3:16
Tenshi no Ai

Postby Radical Dreamer » Sat Feb 10, 2007 12:36 pm

*hides in KB Master's Fortress*

Tsubasa Chronicles.

The art looked cool, the characters were fun, the plot...moved so slowly that I began to care less about all of it. XD And though the art was cool for a while, it began to get too messy, and I couldn't always figure out what was going on. I finally decided that the manga was too expensive anyways, and I dropped it.

Yep.
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]4 8 15 16 23[/color] 42
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]
[color="Orange"]WELCOME TO MOES[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby Shao Feng-Li » Sat Feb 10, 2007 12:54 pm

CLAMP's (or CRAMP as my Japanese friend would say...) Wish. I was hoping for a good 4 volume series... but... eww...
Shao Feng-Li

Postby Tenshi no Ai » Sat Feb 10, 2007 1:07 pm

Shao Feng-Li wrote:CLAMP's (or CRAMP as my Japanese friend would say...) Wish. I was hoping for a good 4 volume series... but... eww...

I remember once looking at that and thinking that I might read it one day. Looked into it a bit more and was like "Yeah, no :/"

Tenshi no Ai

Postby Shao Feng-Li » Sat Feb 10, 2007 1:38 pm

Yeah... spent $20 on it... Burned them last week though XD
Shao Feng-Li

Postby Tommy » Sat Feb 10, 2007 1:49 pm

Cowboy Bebop the manga.

The only good part about it is that we got to see extra untold missions take place, but if they were in televised form they would suck in comparison to the series.

DOWNGRADE!
Tommy

Postby Ashley » Sat Feb 10, 2007 3:01 pm

Aria - the art was gorgeous, but I knew it was a dive when I actually fell asleep reading it. The plot was just soooooooo boring and slow.

Azumanga Daioh - a few of the gags were funny, but I couldn't see myself spending any more money investing in it.
Ashley

Postby ChristianKitsune » Sat Feb 10, 2007 3:48 pm

hmmm

Jing King of Bandit was my first... I bought it because the cover looked cool...and it was decent..but I just lost interest... XD

I would have to say that I wasn't too excited about Kamikaze Kaitou Jeanne..but I might need to give more of a chance..the first volume was a little boring...but who knows?
ImageImage
Stick Monkey Chronicles
Web-Manga Hosted by: The Project
ChristianKitsune

Location: In my sketchbook of wonderment and puffy pink clouds! *\^o^/*

Postby Mega.EXE » Sat Feb 10, 2007 4:00 pm

Narutoe blegh I hate the show and the Manga
Mega.EXE

Postby jon_jinn » Sat Feb 10, 2007 4:12 pm

jon_jinn wrote:if you mean mangas you had high expectations for, but when you finally read it, you didn't really enjoy it? or do you mean mangas that you read, but you start disliking them after awhile? well, if you're talking about the first one:

Beet the Vandel Buster
Reborn
Trigun
Trigun Maximum

if you're talking about the second issue:

Rurouni Kenshin
Rave Master
Naruto
Fruits Basket
Yu-Gi-Oh

seriously now, how could i forget so many?:

shaman king
legendz
sand land
death note
hikura no go

[SIZE="1"]
"Sometimes we don't present the Gospel well enough for the non-elect to reject it."
- John MacArthur

"In the total expanse of the human life, there is not a single square inch of which Christ, who alone is sovereign, does not declare, 'That is mine'."
- Abraham Kuyper

"God the great Creator of all things doth uphold, direct, dispose, and govern all creatures, actions, and things, from the greatest even to the least, by His most wise and holy providence, according to His infallible foreknowledge and the free and immutable counsel of His own will, to the praise of the glory of His wisdom, power, justice, goodness, and mercy."

"The wisdom of God has found a way for the love of God to deliver sinners from the wrath of God all the while upholding the righteousness of God!!"
- John Piper

"Grace is the pleasure of God to magnify the worth of God by giving sinners the right and power to delight in God without obscuring the glory of God!"
-John Piper

- R.C. Sproul

"All of Christian life is ceaseless worship of God the Father, through the mediatorship of God the Son, by the indwelling power of God the Spirit, doing what God commands in Scripture, not doing what God forbids in Scripture, in culturally contextualized ways, for the furtherance of the Gospel, when both gathered for adoration, and scattered for action, in joyous response to God's glorious grace."
- Mark Driscoll

"Believers do not pray with the view of informing God about things unknown to Him, or of exciting Him to do His duty, or of urging Him as though He were reluctant. On the contrary, they pray in order that they may arouse themselves to seek Him, that they may exercise their faith in meditating on His promises, that they may relieve themselves from their anxieties by pouring them into His bosom; in a word, that they may declare that from Him alone they hope and expect, both for themselves and for others, all good things."
- Martin Luther

"I have to tell you first that I am ready to die. I have put my affairs in order. Your supreme weapon is killing. My supreme weapon is dying, because when you kill me, people all over Romania will read my books and believe on the God that I preach - even more than they do now."

"The best prayer I ever prayed had enough sin in it to condemn the whole world."
- John Bunyan

"If the Christian has lost sight of Calvary, that shows that he has lost his way."
- J.I. Packer[/SIZE]
jon_jinn

Postby Ashley » Sat Feb 10, 2007 4:51 pm

I would have to say that I wasn't too excited about Kamikaze Kaitou Jeanne..but I might need to give more of a chance..the first volume was a little boring...but who knows?

Aww, hang in there. It does get better.
Ashley

Postby Nate » Sat Feb 10, 2007 5:02 pm

I second Tsubasa Chronicles. I thought it was gonna be awesome with all the CLAMP characters and whatnot, but it just...wasn't.

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby Azier the Swordsman » Sat Feb 10, 2007 5:42 pm

I second Azumanga. I know some people love it... I really can't see why.

It was not funny whatsoever.

(Sorry, fans.)
Azier the Swordsman

Postby HisaishiFan » Sat Feb 10, 2007 6:16 pm

Jon_jinn, I meant both mangas you had high expectations for, but when you finally read it, you didn't really enjoy and mangas that you read, but you start disliking them after awhile.

Oh, I should have added Darkside Blues. It's 150 pages of build-up, with a little tiny resolution, and all these plot threads left unresolved, just begging for a sequal - but that's it. Just one volume.
But even if we don't feel at ease, God is greater than our feelings and He knows everything. 1 John 3:20 :angel:

Delight in utter trust.
HisaishiFan

Location: Kentucky (formerly I would have said to think rain, but now you should think sweltering heat . . . a

Postby Fish and Chips » Sat Feb 10, 2007 6:19 pm

After thoroughly enjoying the Read or Die OVAs, I was like "Yeah, the Manga series being published!" Then I flipped through volume 1. Abject failure. Similarly, the Samurai Champloo Manga adaption was pretty sparse, but what can you expect from "Based off the feature film" entertainment these days?

And if we're talking about gradually dimming light, Hellsing and Trigun Maximum aren't quiet as good as I once thought.
Fish and Chips

Postby Stiletto » Sat Feb 10, 2007 6:23 pm

I had high expectations for the School Rumble manga, but apparently that led me to dislike the first volume. Guess I'll have to read it again or pick up the next volume to make sure my frame of mind was correct in my first reading.
Stiletto

Postby Tarnish » Sat Feb 10, 2007 7:11 pm

I loved DNAngel for a while. But I dunno, after about volume 8, it just stopped being...interesting. Daisuke's one of the most boring main characters I've ever come across. XD

Then there's Parfait Tic. You can only take so much "Ooh! I love you! Oh wait, no I don't." before you begin to think "Why am I reading this, again?"
i draw things

Ponies are for ages six and under.
Tarnish

Postby jon_jinn » Sat Feb 10, 2007 8:53 pm

for me, i think that Prince of Tennis is starting to go down the drain. the characters don't develop as much as i'd like, and it's just a whole ton of obvious fictional tennis games, save for a few chapters of comic relieving fillers...

[SIZE="1"]
- John MacArthur

- Abraham Kuyper

- John Piper

-John Piper

- R.C. Sproul

- Mark Driscoll

- Martin Luther

- John Bunyan

- J.I. Packer[/SIZE]
jon_jinn

Postby Sai » Sun Feb 11, 2007 2:56 pm

I suppose mine would be
D.N. Angel
Gatekeepers (never got over that disappointment)
Inu Yasha
Dragon Knights (boring)
Tsubasa (frustration regarding slow moving plot)
Clamp something or other detectives
I'm sure there are others but I forget them now... I'm pretty sure there were a few foul shonen mangas that I have blocked from my memories...
"Bother"
Sai

Postby shojoiscool2 » Sun Feb 11, 2007 3:52 pm

Ouran High School Club vol. 1 ehh it was wierd. I don't get the humor.
School Rumble was odd too, I don't know why it so popular. I thought both would be really good. Oh yah, didn't like Skip Beat either.
shojoiscool2

Postby uc pseudonym » Sun Feb 11, 2007 6:02 pm

As a general reminder, let's try to keep this thread from becoming a hating game on whatever we dislike. Some good discussion might help in that regard. Now hopefully my own post will actually abide by my reminder.

Hikaru no Go: I heard that it had great character development. My opinion is that this is not true; it has less real development than even your average shonen manga. Without that, it runs dry very quickly without any plot to speak of. Trying to make a board game exciting is probably a bad move from the start.

Almost Every Series by Akira Toriyama: After finding the Dragonball Z manga a decent if stereotypical series, I figured he might have better work that didn't appeal to mainstream audiences. Sadly, every other work I have read of his struck me as having everything I disliked in DBZ and nothing of what I thought made it worthwhile.

Others have posted unpopular opinions, but this may be of another magnitude...

CLAMP: They have such a large fanbase and so many series that I had high hopes. I was hoping that shoujo writers would have deep characters and more involved storylines than the typical shonen fare. Neither was forthcoming. Someday I may find a series they've made that I like, but that day has not yet come.
uc pseudonym

Postby Tenshi no Ai » Sun Feb 11, 2007 6:10 pm

uc pseudonym wrote:
CLAMP: They have such a large fanbase and so many series that I had high hopes. I was hoping that shoujo writers would have deep characters and more involved storylines than the typical shonen fare. Neither was forthcoming. Someday I may find a series they've made that I like, but that day has not yet come.

I think the best example of good characters and a more involved storyline, would be Chobits. Besides its ecchi points, I think it was the intesting story with the sort of mystery of Chobits, and just the interaction with the characters and all the stories of their pasts they had to tell. Not sure if you've taken a look yet, but I've quite enjoyed it z(yet I'd say that it's one of the few anime I prefer over the manga^^ Manga's still good though... think it was mostly the anime ending I prefered, but yeah.)

Oh, and also xxxHOLiC is pretty good too (well, judging from the anime at least). I'm not sure why, but it was somethign I enjoyed with the characters and the mini stand-alone stories of cases of people in every episode.

Tenshi no Ai

Postby KBMaster » Sun Feb 11, 2007 6:11 pm

uc pseudonym wrote:
Almost Every Series by Akira Toriyama: After finding the Dragonball Z manga a decent if stereotypical series, I figured he might have better work that didn't appeal to mainstream audiences. Sadly, every other work I have read of his struck me as having everything I disliked in DBZ and nothing of what I thought made it worthwhile.

Just out of curiousity, have you read his work "Cowa"? It's about two little monsters. It's very cute, but unfortunately, I don't think it's released in America.
KBMaster

Postby oro! » Sun Feb 11, 2007 6:43 pm

(in response to others who disliked this manga)
Azumanga Daioh was random, but I liked it and the gradual story it told of high school. I especially liked the cute factors. Most guys would probably not like it b/c it is a mostly emotion-based, short comic. It also has almost no males in it(that actually do anything). It is also mostly pure fun.
Aria: The story may be slow, but I think the artwork is good enough by itself.

As for disappointments:
Tsubasa: It was too perverted/occultic for this one. Also, there was always a lot going on, and minimal structure in panels that made it a pain to read.
Basically anything from shojobeat: It looked cool...but I was instantly repelled by the first issue. Can you not have girl manga without perversion? What happened to purity and plain ol' love stories? The art, especially that of Nana, was also different from my tastes: wiry.Of course, I know you can't expect nonbelievers to act like believers, but that doesn't mean I have to subscribe to it.
"I've learned when you throw mud at others, not only do you get your hands dirty, but you also lose a lot of ground." Ravi Zacharias
"Pride grows in the human heart like lard on a pig." Aleksander Solzhenitzen (so call me on it)
"Zeal without knowledge can lead to chaos." - Bob Rohm
"Why don't we love his truth as much as we seem to love his love?"- Cross Movement, in their song "Check us Out"
oro!

Postby Radical Dreamer » Sun Feb 11, 2007 6:56 pm

oro! wrote:Basically anything from shojobeat: It looked cool...but I was instantly repelled by the first issue. Can you not have girl manga without perversion? What happened to purity and plain ol' love stories? The art, especially that of Nana, was also different from my tastes: wiry.Of course, I know you can't expect nonbelievers to act like believers, but that doesn't mean I have to subscribe to it.

Check out Full Moon wo Sagashite. It's released by Shoujo Beat, but it's not serialized in their magazine. It's pretty clean (see the review I've linked you to), and it's probably one of the best shoujo manga I've ever read, not to mention my personal favorite manga. :thumb:
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]4 8 15 16 23[/color] 42
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]
[color="Orange"]WELCOME TO MOES[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby Shao Feng-Li » Sun Feb 11, 2007 6:59 pm

You didn't like "Baby and Me"? *shock*
Shao Feng-Li

Postby Tenshi no Ai » Sun Feb 11, 2007 7:15 pm

oro! wrote:As for disappointments:
Tsubasa: It was too perverted/occultic for this one. Also, there was always a lot going on, and minimal structure in panels that made it a pain to read.

Wait, Tsubasa was perverted? Do you mean ecchi, or just that it was odd? Because if you meant ecchi, I'm pretty sure it's pretty much clean in that area...

Tenshi no Ai

Next

Return to Manga and Manga Reviews