How much do you read?

Post about anime's sister, manga in here. Manga reviews accepted in here as well.

How much do you read?

Postby meboeck » Tue Jan 23, 2007 8:06 am

When you get a manga volume, do you tend to split it up or do you read it all at once? Personally, I almost always read the whole volume at once, and sometimes I've even read a couple volumes in a row if I had time.
*insert poem, quote, or witty comment here*

"If it doesn't fit, you must edIT! -- [color=#cc3322]MOES."
[/color]
meboeck

Postby Kkun » Tue Jan 23, 2007 8:11 am

I always read the whole volume all at once, time permitting. Occasionally I'll be interrupted while reading and I'll have to pick it up later, but 95% of the time, I read the whole book straight through.
I'm a shoe-in for hater of the year.
Kkun

Postby Stiletto » Tue Jan 23, 2007 8:13 am

I don't think I've ever read an entire volume all at once, except for maybe a few occasions. I pretty much always split my reading of a single volume to 2-3 chapters a day, depending on how good the series is.
Stiletto

Postby Ichigo_89 » Tue Jan 23, 2007 9:31 am

Depends. If I get into a series, I'll read whole volumes in a row (gasp!) otherwise, I just choose certain series to read while in the bathroom...
Ichigo_89

Postby Azier the Swordsman » Tue Jan 23, 2007 9:49 am

Since I have the luxury of working at a bookstore, I read manga on my break every day.

So I get roughly 4-6 hours worth of reading weekly total.
Azier the Swordsman

Postby Debitt » Tue Jan 23, 2007 3:15 pm

If I get it in a nice thick volume, it's all read on the spot.

I usually read things in pieces, though, simply because that's how stuff comes out in Jump. D: I must wait a week for the next dose. *emo tear*

[SIZE="5"](*゚∀゚)アハア八アッ八ッノヽ~☆[/SIZE]
[SIZE="1"]DEBS: Fan of that manga where the kid's head is on fire.[/SIZE]
Debitt

Postby jon_jinn » Tue Jan 23, 2007 4:27 pm

i always read through the entire volume when i buy a new manga. ALWAYS.
[SIZE="4"]*FASTING FROM CAA (9/25/08 - ???)*[/SIZE]

[SIZE="1"]
"Sometimes we don't present the Gospel well enough for the non-elect to reject it."
- John MacArthur

"In the total expanse of the human life, there is not a single square inch of which Christ, who alone is sovereign, does not declare, 'That is mine'."
- Abraham Kuyper

"God the great Creator of all things doth uphold, direct, dispose, and govern all creatures, actions, and things, from the greatest even to the least, by His most wise and holy providence, according to His infallible foreknowledge and the free and immutable counsel of His own will, to the praise of the glory of His wisdom, power, justice, goodness, and mercy."
- Westminister Confession of Faith (Chapter 5, Section 1)

"The wisdom of God has found a way for the love of God to deliver sinners from the wrath of God all the while upholding the righteousness of God!!"
- John Piper

"Grace is the pleasure of God to magnify the worth of God by giving sinners the right and power to delight in God without obscuring the glory of God!"
-John Piper

"The very One from Whom we need to be saved, is the One Who has saved us."
- R.C. Sproul

"All of Christian life is ceaseless worship of God the Father, through the mediatorship of God the Son, by the indwelling power of God the Spirit, doing what God commands in Scripture, not doing what God forbids in Scripture, in culturally contextualized ways, for the furtherance of the Gospel, when both gathered for adoration, and scattered for action, in joyous response to God's glorious grace."
- Mark Driscoll

"Believers do not pray with the view of informing God about things unknown to Him, or of exciting Him to do His duty, or of urging Him as though He were reluctant. On the contrary, they pray in order that they may arouse themselves to seek Him, that they may exercise their faith in meditating on His promises, that they may relieve themselves from their anxieties by pouring them into His bosom; in a word, that they may declare that from Him alone they hope and expect, both for themselves and for others, all good things."
- Martin Luther

"I have to tell you first that I am ready to die. I have put my affairs in order. Your supreme weapon is killing. My supreme weapon is dying, because when you kill me, people all over Romania will read my books and believe on the God that I preach - even more than they do now."
- Dr. Joseph Ton, the exiled Romanian pastor (quoted by James Montgomery Boice)

"The best prayer I ever prayed had enough sin in it to condemn the whole world."
- John Bunyan

"If the Christian has lost sight of Calvary, that shows that he has lost his way."
- J.I. Packer[/SIZE]
jon_jinn

Postby Tenshi no Ai » Tue Jan 23, 2007 4:34 pm

Usually only parts, since I'll take them to work and don't get enough time to finish the entire thing in one sitting.
神 は、 その 独り 子 を お与え に なった ほど に 世 お愛 された。
独り 子 を 信じる 者 が 一人 も滅 ひない で, 永遠 の 命 お得る ため で ある。

ヨハネ 3:16
Tenshi no Ai

Postby Mi-Ru-Me » Tue Jan 23, 2007 5:15 pm

to tell the truth I usally buy like 3 or 4 then I read all of them at once Im tring to stop that but I get really interested.
Mi-Ru-Me

Postby QtheQreater » Tue Jan 23, 2007 5:46 pm

Ze whole shebang. I've always done that...
The sometime President of the Goof Off!

Image Image
QtheQreater

Postby MasterDias » Tue Jan 23, 2007 7:32 pm

How much do I read?
Well, if I'm not interrupted, I usually finish off the entire volume.
-----------------------------------------
"Always seek to do good to one another and to all."
1 Thessalonians 5:15

"Every story must have an ending." - Auron - Final Fantasy X

"A small stone may make a ripple at first, but someday it will be a wave." - Wiegraf - Final Fantasy Tactics
MasterDias

Postby Kaligraphic » Tue Jan 23, 2007 8:01 pm

I'm illiterate, you insensitive clod! ( ;) )

(I read straight through)
The cake used to be a lie like you, but then it took a portal to the deception core.
Kaligraphic

Postby meboeck » Tue Jan 23, 2007 9:20 pm

[quote="Kaligraphic"]I'm illiterate, you insensitive clod! ( ]

I must say, you write very well for someone who's illiterate. XD
*insert poem, quote, or witty comment here*

"If it doesn't fit, you must edIT! -- [color=#cc3322]MOES."
[/color]
meboeck

Postby uc pseudonym » Wed Jan 24, 2007 5:15 pm

Like almost everyone in this thread, I read entire volumes at once. It takes very little time to read one, really, and they don't cover a great deal of plot. Chapters coming out on a weekly basis are so short that they wouldn't be worth it if I wasn't interested in the continuation of the story.
uc pseudonym

Postby Radical Dreamer » Wed Jan 24, 2007 5:19 pm

I read the entire volume at once. It only takes me about an hour to plow through one (depending on the page number), but yeah, I typically just read it all at once, and sometimes more than one at a time, if I'm working on reading through a series and have more than one volume to finish.
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]4 8 15 16 23[/color] 42
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]
[color="Orange"]WELCOME TO MOES[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby Azier the Swordsman » Thu Jan 25, 2007 10:18 am

Reading a GN is like reading any other paperback novel to me, so I prefer to read it one shot. (Unless I'm on the clock and my break is over.)
Azier the Swordsman

Postby KBMaster » Thu Jan 25, 2007 10:32 am

I always finish the entire volume unless my mom asks me to do something. Then I reluctantly put it down, finish my task quickly, then get back to my manga. Although lately I've wised up and asked her if there's anything she needed me to do before I read my manga. :lol:
KBMaster

Postby mechana2015 » Thu Jan 25, 2007 10:40 am

always the total volume. I can't really take breaks mid story... its just not how I read.

My Deviantart
"MOES. I can has Sane Sig now?"
mechana2015

Postby shojoiscool2 » Sun Feb 11, 2007 4:02 pm

I read stuff like Basara and From Far Away slowly, but pure drama: Devil Does Exist, Mars, manwha the whole volume. Comedy whole volume too.
shojoiscool2

Postby Monkey J. Luffy » Mon Mar 12, 2007 5:11 pm

what's the point in sitting down and only reading part of it? It's like watching 1/2 of an episode of something and then shutting it off to save for later...
Monkey J. Luffy

Postby Tommy » Mon Mar 12, 2007 5:27 pm

It depends if I purchased it or not. =D
Tommy

Postby Fish and Chips » Mon Mar 12, 2007 6:13 pm

The whole volume, if not then the entirety of the series. I'm sort of impulsive like that, usually don't like to be kept waiting. Which is odd, because usually I can be pretty patient.
Fish and Chips

Postby Aileen Kailum » Mon Mar 12, 2007 11:10 pm

I'll read the whole volume in one sitting, then go back and re-read it later at a slower pace. If I had the chance, I would probably try to read through a whole series in one sitting, but given that my only access to manga is through the library and I feel bad if I take a bunch of a single series, that probably won't happen.
Need some excitement and meaning to brighten your bleak existence? Enter the CAA Monthly Manga contest!
(Warning: side affects may/will include irritability, the cramping of hands, frustration, and/or loss of sleep.)

Close only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades
Aileen Kailum

Postby Alice » Tue Mar 13, 2007 6:31 pm

It's easy for me to end up reading the whole book. I try not to, but sometimes I do. (It's not evil, it just can seem like a waste afterwards.)
People talking without speaking
People hearing without listening
People writing songs that voices never share

And no one dared
Disturb the sound of silence.
Alice

Postby Fantasy Dreamer » Wed Mar 14, 2007 9:07 am

I buy as many as I can afford (usually several volumes from two or three different series) take them home, pick one of the volumes from one of the series and read the whole thing. And if I.E. - I get volume 1 & 2 of Host Club I read volume one one day, and volume two the next day. But thats as far as I go with "spacing it out". Then I continue doing so until I've read all that I bought.

Usually though I buy the next released volume of Full Metal Alchemist or Fruits Basket and read it all in one sitting. But then I can't wait until the next volume is released, so maybe its better to space it out? But after about a week I'm back in focus on what's important and wait patiently, so dragging it out would be worse...

Anyway, if I have an interruption I have to put it down and come back. But I quickly go over the schedule for my week and find a time when I can read the rest no interruptions.

Alice wrote:It's easy for me to end up reading the whole book. I try not to, but sometimes I do. (It's not evil, it just can seem like a waste afterwards.)

And afterwards you're like "I can't believe I read the Wh-oole thing!" Yeah, I think most of us have been there before, Alice.
"Be strong, and let your heart take courage, all you who wait for the Lord!" - Psalm 31:24

"MOES: Sig. Or sig not. There is no scroll."

My Fanfiction.net account
My DA account
My MAL

"An XD a post will keep humor at its most." - Goldenspines <3
Fantasy Dreamer

Postby Htom Sirveaux » Wed Mar 14, 2007 9:43 am

It usually takes me about 3 sitdowns, just because I don't usually have time to read through a volume all at once.
If this post seems too utterly absurd or ridiculous to be taken seriously, don't. :)
Htom Sirveaux

Postby Alice » Wed Mar 14, 2007 11:26 am

Fantasy Dreamer wrote:And afterwards you're like "I can't believe I read the Wh-oole thing!" Yeah, I think most of us have been there before, Alice.

Yep. :) My brother reads manga much more slowly, and he can't believe I can read them so fast. At least they last for him. =_=
People talking without speaking
People hearing without listening
People writing songs that voices never share

And no one dared
Disturb the sound of silence.
Alice

Postby WrestlingOtaku » Thu Mar 15, 2007 5:29 pm

I usually buy a couple of volumes at a time and then read them all at once. Most of the time, I'll go back and read the whole series up till that point before I even pick up the book that I bought.
WrestlingOtaku

Postby Okami » Tue May 15, 2007 6:29 pm

~*~ Blessed to be Ryosuke's wife!
"We will be her church, the body of Christ coming alive to
meet her needs, to write love on her arms." ~ Jamie Tworkowski
Okami

Postby Okami » Tue May 15, 2007 6:33 pm

Usually I'll read all at once, but it depends on the series! If it bores me at any point, I'll probably put it down and resume later, if I'm at a friend's house and it ges shoved at me by my "Sensei" (one of her older sisters xD) I'll absolutely have to read it on-the-spot (overprotective of manga, you see) if I'm at home, I'll read them leisurely, usually without a break.

Honestly...as much as I love manga, I'm kicking out of the habit of manga-reading, and it just isnt as appealing as it used to be. Same with anime. :( I can't get rid of it completely, as I obviously just started here XD
~*~ Blessed to be Ryosuke's wife!
"We will be her church, the body of Christ coming alive to
meet her needs, to write love on her arms." ~ Jamie Tworkowski
Okami

Next

Return to Manga and Manga Reviews