NHK ni Youkosu! (Welcome to the NHK!) content

Post about anime's sister, manga in here. Manga reviews accepted in here as well.

NHK ni Youkosu! (Welcome to the NHK!) content

Postby Kite » Sun Jan 21, 2007 11:47 pm

As a big fan of the anime I've been wanting to pick up the manga for a while now. The thing is that big ''Mature Content'' label on the front. What I want to know is what kind of content is in there that would merit it.

I've tried elsewhere to no avail when I remembered you guys. So if anyone could help that would be much appreciated.
Kite

Postby MorwenLaicoriel » Mon Jan 22, 2007 10:58 pm

I haven't read it, but I've heard things on different forums about it. Sounds like the main character is making some sort of hentai doujinishi game, so I think it could possibly have some nudity and sexual content in it. x.x;; I haven't read it, though, so that's hearsay. Take it with a grain of salt.
[url=l33tbeat.blogspot.com]l33t beat[/url] -- News, reviews and opinions on anime, video games, and fantasy fiction
MorwenLaicoriel

Postby ilikegir33 » Sat Mar 24, 2007 2:10 pm

Yes, I read this one. NHK! has themes that would generally not be accepted for an OT+ Rating. There's also some nondescript nudity. As Morwen said:
Take it with a grain of salt.
:dizzy: [color="Orange"]People are so crazy these days. If you are one of those crazy ppl, then copy this into your sig![/color]:dizzy:
MOES. "Take off every sig for great justice"
@)}~`,~ Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks To All The CAA Moderators.
What I'll be reviewing in the future:
SoulTaker (soon to start)
Whoever loves discipline loves knowledge, but he who hates correction is stupid. Proverbs 12:1
ilikegir33

Postby ClosetOtaku » Sat Mar 24, 2007 9:52 pm

While mild compared to most of the adult doujinshi I've seen men reading on the Tokyo subways, Welcome to the NHK! does have very suggestive and graphic scenes -- just about all of which are happening in the main (male) character's imagination. There is nudity, as well as scenes that would be too explicit for, say, an R-rated film. Some exchanges (mostly in the discussions of the H-game in development) are demeaning and denigrating of women -- perhaps true to context, but nonetheless not uplifting, pure and noble.

The anime was very, very toned down from the manga. I found the anime to be a little edgy, but the manga goes far beyond that.

In the context of Japanese teen culture, perhaps this is mainstream, but it definitely is beyond anything you should expect to find in American publications.

Does that answer your question?
"If I find in myself a desire which no experience in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world." -- C.S. Lewis
ClosetOtaku

Postby everdred12a » Sun Mar 25, 2007 9:49 am

I've read both the first and second volumes of Welcome to the NHK! and I have to say it's not the most savory title out there.

Yes, the main character is working on a Hentai Dating Sim game, supposedly the 'ultimate' H-Dating game.

He meets a girl who tries to save him from his Hikkikomori 'disease' (a hikkikomori [unsure if I'm spelling it right; not using the manga for reference atm] is a reclusive person who resigns themselves to stay indoors at all times and has a general fear f being with groups). Of course, fitting with the story's explicit nature, he has rather explicit sexual fantasies about her as well. Within the first few pages, the manga shows the main character using a nondescript drug.

All in all, 'take it with a grain of salt' isn't really the phrase I'd use. Of course, none of the afformentioned things are really meant in a serious way, and the main character's conscience tends to take over whenever he gets involved in something like this. My suggestion - read the first volume. If you find yourself offended at any point, quit, because it's not going to get any better. But if you find the humor in it and learn to look past it as I have, then continue on, as the story really isn't all that bad... I'll just say, I've seen worse.

everdred12a

Return to Manga and Manga Reviews