December Original Character Contest

Win the competitions and get free cookies! (sorry for lame description, perhaps Ink can come up with a better one)

Postby ShadowCat » Fri Dec 29, 2006 1:09 am

I have an entry...I'll post it tomorrow/later today. :3
ShadowCat

Postby ChristianKitsune » Fri Dec 29, 2006 6:15 am

WAAAAAH Awesome entries so far everyone! ^_^

*passes out* KAAAH... I stayed up alla night to finish this...(which is normal for me actually XD) Anyways... here is me entry! (I apologize if it is huge) And I also apolgoize for there being two characters...^^; You can judge one or the other but they are sort of an inseperable pair...

Name: Brendan Thomas
Bio: Brendan is a wacky and creative Cartoonist/artist. He is really obsessive over his artwork and stays up till all hours of the night to work on his projects. (sounds like me XD) One day on his way home from school, he picked up an odd looking pencil off the street and decided that "Finder's Keeper's" was a great rule and decided to use. he doodled the little Stick Monkey you see on his head, and didn't realize that this pencil could make ONE drawing come to life. And Stick Monkey-chan was born...er...drawn into this world! (And to think, Brendan could have drawn himself a car! XD

so yeah..there you guys go! ^_^;

If you are judging on ONE character...Judge on Brendan..^^;
ImageImage
Stick Monkey Chronicles
Web-Manga Hosted by: The Project
ChristianKitsune

Location: In my sketchbook of wonderment and puffy pink clouds! *\^o^/*

Postby Jingo Jaden » Fri Dec 29, 2006 7:41 am

Aww that was sooo nice :D
Of two evils, choose neither - Charles Spurgeon.

Jingo Jaden

Postby ChristianKitsune » Fri Dec 29, 2006 3:50 pm

thanks Jaden ^_^
ImageImage
Stick Monkey Chronicles
ChristianKitsune

Postby Photosoph » Fri Dec 29, 2006 11:21 pm

WAAAAAH Awesome entries so far everyone! ^_^

*passes out* KAAAH... I stayed up alla night to finish this...(which is normal for me actually XD) Anyways... here is me entry! (I apologize if it is huge) And I also apolgoize for there being two characters...^^; You can judge one or the other but they are sort of an inseperable pair...

Hope you get a better night's sleep tonight. ^_^"

That's so cool! And it's great to see another pic with Stick Monkey and Brendan in it. :jump: Excellent entry, CR! ^^
(0)>
((_\//
mm

[Quote=Photosoph]Well, t'was a good deduction, Mr. Holmes! *salutes Mr. Myoti Sherlock Homes* [/QUOTE]
Myoti wrote:Elementary, my dear Watsoph. XD

\(^_^)/
Still in rest and recovery mode. Posting may be sporadic at times. :pinned:
Photosoph

Location: Kiwiland... fighting for mankind in the battle of human vs. sheep.

Postby Aka-chan » Sat Dec 30, 2006 12:07 am

Aw, I'm sure he knows that's far better than a car. Lots of people have cars, but I bet no one else has a Stick Monkey. Great job!
Aka-chan

Postby Debitt » Sat Dec 30, 2006 12:27 am

CR. ;3; Can I steal Brendan's hair?

[SIZE="5"](*゚∀゚)アハア八アッ八ッノヽ~☆[/SIZE]
[SIZE="1"]DEBS: Fan of that manga where the kid's head is on fire.[/SIZE]
Debitt

Postby ChristianKitsune » Sat Dec 30, 2006 1:13 am

XD I didn't say that Stick Monkey was a BAD thing. Brendan really loves Stick Monkey-chan!

Kokoro..XD if you wanna die your hair that way...be my guest XD;

thanks everyone! ^_^
ImageImage
Stick Monkey Chronicles
ChristianKitsune

Postby ShadowCat » Sat Dec 30, 2006 2:00 am

\o.o/
ShadowCat

Postby ChristianKitsune » Sat Dec 30, 2006 2:12 am

ROFL!!!! that's so cute NinjaKitty! ^_^
ImageImage
Stick Monkey Chronicles
ChristianKitsune

Postby Photosoph » Sat Dec 30, 2006 5:52 pm

ROFL! :lol: :lol: :grin: XD
Dang, that's excellent Shadowcat! Rofl; yellow snow... XD
(0)>
((_\//
mm

[Quote=Photosoph]Well, t'was a good deduction, Mr. Holmes! *salutes Mr. Myoti Sherlock Homes* [/QUOTE]

\(^_^)/
Photosoph

Postby soul alive » Sat Dec 30, 2006 11:19 pm

I managed to get something done after all. ^_^

Character Profile:

Name: Ginifer (pronounced - gin not jen) Jenson
Personality: High-strung, emotional, anti-social. Does everything herself, never asking for help, since she's very distrustful.

Background: Ginifer Jenson's parents were just trying to be clever when they used a non-traditional spelling for their first child's name. Five very active siblings, combined with crowded public schools made Ginifer's life a constant joke. She was constantly called by various nicknames, playing off of the unfortunate phonetics of her name - Gin-Jen. Ginifer withdrew from the attempts at comfort from her parents and became very bitter.

Leaving home in California for upstate Maine as soon as she graduated, Ginifer started working various minimum wage jobs to pay for a one room apartment and online college courses. Gaining a degree in business at 21, she started her own internet referal business. When the business surprisingly took off, Ginifer found that despite her attempts to deny it, she needed help.

Ginifer reluctantly hired the son of some of her parent's friends, who had recently graduated from business college himself - Jason Redding. Little did she know that this shy young man, two years her senior, would turn her life upside down. Jason's pleasant personality and quiet refusal to fight with her was utterly confusing to Ginifer.

As December rolled around, Ginifer found herself in a state she had thought could never happen to her - her constant anger was starting to seem out of place, and she found herself completely confused when it came to Jason. One bright afternoon, Ginifer's confusion came to a head and she ran from the small office that she and Jason worked at on the edge of town.

She quickly slowed to a walk, as the crisp winter air was bitingly cold, and walked on, listening to the crunch of the snow under her feet, thinking things over in her head. Ever since coming to Maine, Ginifer had loved winter, secretly enjoying the comforting solace the snow brought. Big changes were going to be happening.

Picture:

--

Sorry it's so long. ^^ I was having a bit too much fun with the story.

The picture was a bit of an adventure - I've drawn with my tablet quite a bit, but always over scanned pencil sketches. This was my first attempt at drawing solely with the tablet.

--

We had a pretty good turn-out this month, looks like. I don't think I've commented on everyone's drawings, so here goes:

That Dude - very lovely pencil shading, and great job all around with her face.

Aka-chan - evil Frosty made me giggle pretty hard, and I love your inking, nice textures

CreatureArt - very cute, Chloe looks like such a personality, and the penguins are too cute. I ate snow all the time as a tot, and have survived this long with no noticable problems... wait...

Kokoro Daisuke - lovely coloring job, and nicely done on his hair. Alex looks like someone you wouldn't want to meet on a dark and snowy back road... ^^

ChristianRonin - very nice coloring job - having fun with the new tablet? Stick Monkey is adorable, and I love the texture you used on Brendan's hair.

ShadowCat - very cute ^^ - that's pretty much my reaction to yellow snow too, heh.
-Sara-

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

A Cruce Salus, a webmanga. --- Status: Undergoing rewrites, currently offline

soul-alive.deviantart.com

"People say I'm strange, does it make me a stranger / That my best friend was born in a manger?" 'Jesus Freak' - dc Talk
soul alive

Postby ChristianKitsune » Sat Dec 30, 2006 11:30 pm

ooh very nicely done Soul Alive ^_^ I feel sorry for anyone who judges this contest!
ImageImage
Stick Monkey Chronicles
ChristianKitsune

Postby the_lizardqueen » Sat Dec 30, 2006 11:47 pm

Fantastic entries everybody! It was really fun to read through all of the biographies and the artwork is lovely ^^ And wow, some of the backstories are really quite intense and fascinating O.O SA, did you actually write a full length story for your character? I'd certainly be interested in reading it.

Hehe, and the yellow snow. CA, what did you start? ^_~ (yup, you wern't specific, but the rest of us totally had to go there)

I wish I could have spent more time on my image but unfortunately I'm working tomorrow and then I'm out for New Years. I'm a little limited on time, so, here it goes!

--------

Name: Ivor Blanford Froderick the III
Bio: Ivor has been sweeping the chimneys and traversing the rooftops of London since his early years. Fearless and typically rather laid back, Ivor is a man of few words with a rather black sense of humor. Rumor has it at one point Ivor had been in love with a woman of high society. However after falling from grace with the upperclass and losing his fortune, he also lost her to a rival. Nowadays, Ivor is far more preoccupied with making his living along the rooftops far above the city streets and trying not to slip and fall. The latter of which is becoming increasingly difficult due to the recent blizzards-

-------

Whoo for Corel Painter! I haven't the slightest clue what I'm doing but DUDE it's a cool program! :jump:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
the_lizardqueen

Postby soul alive » Sun Dec 31, 2006 9:09 am

Naw, no full-length story... I just tend to get really carried away with the character backstories. I've decided to use the characters I come up with for this contest for my manga, since I'll need quite a few characters for it, and these will work well after a few tweaks. ^^

And nicely done lizardqueen - it has a real textured feel to it, a la oil painting. I like Ivor's back story. *resists the urge to sing 'Chim Chim Chiree'*
-Sara-

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"People say I'm strange, does it make me a stranger / That my best friend was born in a manger?" 'Jesus Freak' - dc Talk
soul alive

Postby Photosoph » Sun Dec 31, 2006 3:48 pm

Wow... two new amazing entries! ^_^
Both are really cool. Love the cell-shading and excellent perspective you've got, as well as the story, SA; and LQ, you've got some awesome colouring effects and an excellent background going on there. Cool character too; like SA, you've got me thinking of Mary Poppins... :sweat: ;)
(0)>
((_\//
mm

\(^_^)/
Photosoph

Postby Aileen Kailum » Sun Dec 31, 2006 9:36 pm

Okay, sorry for waiting until the last minute. Here's my entry. (My OC is the one in the background)

Name: Miu
Sibling(s): Alice--the girl in the foreground
Setting: It's set in the future. Several years ago, a second great depression hit the world and left behind two distinct classes: the ruling class and the working class. The distinction is even greater due to the fact that the working class lives in a city located beneath the city of the ruling class--the undercity and the avocity, respectivly.
Backstory: Miu--whose real name is Albert--and his twin sister Alice were raised by the government of the avocity after their mother decided she didn't want them. Because they didn't want to spend a life serving the government--which is what all children raised by the system face--Miu and Alice ran away to the undercity at age 10.

Description for picture: Miu and Alice have been living on and off the streets for four years. When a rare snowfall makes its way to the undercity, the two make the most of it and have a snowball fight.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Need some excitement and meaning to brighten your bleak existence? Enter the CAA Monthly Manga contest!
(Warning: side affects may/will include irritability, the cramping of hands, frustration, and/or loss of sleep.)

Close only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades
Aileen Kailum

Postby Esoteric » Mon Jan 01, 2007 9:22 am

Wow, very cool entries, everyone! LQ, glad to see you pop in again!

Very nice picture, Aileen Kailum! Your use of perspective in the background is exceptionally well done. Oh, and welcome to CAA and the coloring contest!
Esoteric

Postby soul alive » Mon Jan 01, 2007 2:48 pm

Hello Aileen, welcome to CAA. Lovely job on the water coloring.
-Sara-

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

soul alive

Postby chibiphonebooth » Mon Jan 01, 2007 2:50 pm

tee hee

i have a character named Miu too. :3
ImageImageImage

[font="Impact"][SIZE="3"][color="SeaGreen"]"Savannah's signature: ruining serious since 2008"[/color][/SIZE][/font]

[font="Georgia"][color="Orange"][url=yourtoesaremissing.deviantart.com]Visit my DA X3[/url][/color][/font]
chibiphonebooth

Postby Jingo Jaden » Mon Jan 01, 2007 3:15 pm

Hello there contenters, so far I must say I am very impressed with the work I have seen here, all of these awesome artists that make me smile with their very well constructed pictures. Now, these was quite a massive load of people who joined, so I will try to make the announcement shorter than useual.

In this thread, there are only winners, and you all deserve a great thanks for participating, I severly hope I do not dissapoint anyone here.

So, let me see what I have got, firstly I want to give a few comments to some peticular entries.

ShadowCat - You made me laugh with that one ^o^/
Aka-chan. - Your use of black/white dynamics do impress me.
ChristianRonin - You use one of your previus characters ^^ I like the way you did go through with this one.
CreatureArt - You are probably in Japan right now, I want to say this though, very cute/funny illustration.

Now, thank you all so much for joing, I have looked at the enteries and this contest is hard to jugde this time, but now its time to see the top ranking in the different areas.

Design - Aka-chan. - Woah, I love the dynamic black and white design ^^
Creative backgound - ChristianRonin - For the happiness and cheer joy I find in this picture, and you seem to put some of your other characters into it as well, you put a lot of work into this one, but also a lot of heart.
Technical design - Soul Alive. I love the overall design and hard work, seems your artistic talent was beaming enough for me to notice, great work :)
Bio/personality/history - Soul Alive. Though it was sad at some parts, it seem that you have done really well makeing this :D

Now, the winner of this thread is SOUL ALIVE! *Cool neoclassical music plays*

I want to thank all of you who participaded and hope to see you again soon :D

SA - I will pm you shortly.

Hope you will people will participate again :)

Jingo Jaden

Postby soul alive » Mon Jan 01, 2007 3:49 pm

o.o

Wow. Congratulations Aka-chan and CR!
-Sara-

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

soul alive

Postby ChristianKitsune » Mon Jan 01, 2007 3:51 pm

WOOT congrats Soul Alive for winning!!

Aka chan congrats on your win as well! ^_^
ImageImage
Stick Monkey Chronicles
ChristianKitsune

Postby Jingo Jaden » Mon Jan 01, 2007 3:53 pm

Soul Alive, I sendt you a pm :)

Jingo Jaden

Postby soul alive » Mon Jan 01, 2007 4:06 pm

Yup, got it.
-Sara-

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

soul alive

Postby Aileen Kailum » Mon Jan 01, 2007 4:10 pm

Congratulations to the winners! This was a fun contest--when do we find out what the next one's about?
Need some excitement and meaning to brighten your bleak existence? Enter the CAA Monthly Manga contest!
(Warning: side affects may/will include irritability, the cramping of hands, frustration, and/or loss of sleep.)

Close only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades
Aileen Kailum

Postby Jingo Jaden » Mon Jan 01, 2007 4:27 pm

Right after Soul Alvie has made a new thread ^^

Jingo Jaden

Postby soul alive » Mon Jan 01, 2007 4:31 pm

And that is done - it's currently in the General forum.
-Sara-

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

soul alive

Postby Photosoph » Mon Jan 01, 2007 9:50 pm

Aileen: That's such a cool entry! I really love what you've done with the background. City backgrounds are so complicated and hard to draw, but you've done it really well. And a cool backstory too. :grin:

Congrats SA, and everyone else! There were so many cool entries for this. It was cool to see them all!
I hope I see you all in the next competition, whether you enter a picture or not. ^_^ It'll be fun!
(0)>
((_\//
mm

\(^_^)/
Photosoph

Postby Debitt » Mon Jan 01, 2007 9:56 pm

8D Man, there were SO many great entries! Congrats to all the winners! :hug: :hug: :hug: *twitching too much from New Year's energy drinks* XD;

[SIZE="5"](*゚∀゚)アハア八アッ八ッノヽ~☆[/SIZE]
[SIZE="1"]DEBS: Fan of that manga where the kid's head is on fire.[/SIZE]
Debitt

Previous Next

Return to Art Contests